“Will definitely return!”
Review of Ventanas al Mar

Ventanas al Mar
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Well I put off writing the review because I wanted to make sure I didn't forget anything and I had so many great things to say about this place. Of course, now, 2 months later, I still don't think I can capture how amazing this place is in words. My boyfriend and I enjoyed Cozumel, but Ventanas al Mar is the only reason we plan to return.

Gary and Lupita were just wonderful. They were extremely pleasant to talk to and made us feel completely welcome. I feel as though they would go out of their way to accommodate their guests and try to be as helpful as they could for any questions or concerns one might have.

The hotel was very quiet, I think one night we were the only couple there. For me, this is part of the appeal...though I feel if more people knew about this gem, it would fill up nicely. The location is absolutely breathtaking. There is no ac, but we were never overly warm as the ocean breeze was enough to keep us cool at night. We did have internet access in the lobby, which was nice to keep in contact with our family back home. Breakfast each morning was so delicious and there was a nice variety on the menu. There is no fridge, but a cooler was provided and we could purchase bags of ice on site for just 20 pesos (same as you would pay in town). We went to the Mega on the other side of town and purchased enough to make sandwiches for lunch throughout the week, and went out to dinner most nights. We rented a cute lil bug from Isis, which was perfect for getting around. As others mentioned, the road is closed in the evening, but show your room key and you will be sent on your way without hassle.

It is not a 5 star luxurious hotel, but it is clean, well kept, and perfect for those who really just want to get away from it all.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank djenah79

Reviewed June 22, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night and had the greatest time!

The service was great! Our bags were carried to our room and the gentleman recommended the restaurant next door for a quick drink before sunset.

The rooms are large and very nice. The upstairs rooms have these great balconies that overlook the ocean. We sat on the balcony listening to our iPod and the waves crashing until the early morning. It was a truly wonderful evening. I also slept amazing... we slept with the sliding glass doors wide open to catch that wonderful ocean breeze.

In the morning, breakfast is included in the price of the room. They have a menu that has about 5 different choices for eggs, fresh fruit, choice of drinks, etc. The food was great!

I recommend this hotel to everyone I know! I can't wait to stay here again!

Room Tip: I would recommend staying on the top floor.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ams1906
Reviewed May 13, 2011

The Ventanas al Mar is a great place to relax and get away from it all.

The key to the hotel is its location. It is the only hotel on the entire east side of the island, situated on a small cliff overlooking the ocean, with wide-open expanses of gorgeous, sandy beach stretching off to each side. Every room has a double-doored balcony or terrace that opens onto a stunning view of the ocean. You can spend days relaxing in the ocean-breeze and watching the waves lapping against the shore.

This alone makes it a rare, special place. But the Ventanas offers even more than it's location. The managers, Lupita and Gary, are friendly, helpful and dedicated to making your stay enjoyable. The staff are also wonderful and do a splendid job looking after the grounds and providing the delicious, ample breakfasts that come with your stay.

The hotel it self is charmingly decorated. The beach is lovely and the ocean, when the waves are not too big, offers wonderful opportunities to swim and play in the waves. There are warnings about rip currents and undertows on the east side of Cozumel, but when the waves aren't too big that doesn't seem to be a problem.

The hotel would appeal to those with particular tastes. It is very simple - there is no air conditioning (Not often needed with the steady breeze), no television, no refrigerator (a cooler is provided that your can fill with ice for 2 pesos) and the hot water comes and goes. This is because the hotel generates its own electricity via solar panels and a generator. Also, if wide open oceans, sweeping beaches and tranquility are not your thing then you might want to look somewhere else because there's almost nothing else around the Ventanas. Indeed the road on the east side of the island is closed by the police every night at 6:00 (though hotel guests can still access the road with proof of their stay). So it is very remote. I would strongly advise anyone staying at the Ventanas rent a car or a scooter to get around and load up on groceries before you go. Downtown San Miguel is only a 15 minute ride away. There are a couple of restaurants up and down the beach, including Coconuts right beside the hotel, but the pickings are slim and the prices are very high, about double what you would pay in town. Relaxing at the hotel is wonderful, but it is nice to have the option to drive to town for dinner or hop in your car and go for an explore.

I highly recommend the Ventanas al Mar - it is a unique experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd floor room for a private balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VgabndHapy
Reviewed April 25, 2011

We just returned from spending an entire week at Ventanas al Mar. It was absolutely the best vacation I have ever been on. Ventanas manager Lupita and her husband Gary felt like family by the end of the trip, we will be back as soon as we can.

The isolation of the hotel may not be for everyone...for us, it felt like we were on our own island. The waves crashing on the rocks every night, brilliant moonlight, stars that I can't remember ever seeing so bright.

The rooms are comfortable, clean, and simple. We knew before we got there that there would be no fridge or coffee makers in the room. Breakfast served by Coco every morning on the patio overlooking the ocean more than made up for that. Breakfast consisted of a perfect plate of fruit served with yogurt and granola followed by eggs/bread of your choice. I had Huevos Rancheros every single morning though, because it was prepared with an awesome homemade salsa every day. They do provide large coolers to use in your rooms for drinks and ice which can be purchased from Coco for $2USD a bag or 20 pesos.

We would suggest making a big run to the grocery store on your first day to stock up on snacks and supplies as they are not easy to come by on the east side of the island. Coconuts is open for dinner until 7P and has excellent food...but if you don't make it in time for dinner you may want to have something in the room. We made our own guacamole a few nights and ate fresh fruit and beers on our patio instead of going out--it was all perfect.

As you will read in the other reviews the water was not always hot and it does run out very occasionally until the pumps are manually adjusted on the roof but none of this could deter us from returning for the incredible views and Lupita and Gary's hospitality. It truly was a perfect vacation.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nh73
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Ventanas al Mar was an experience!

Although there are a few down points listed it is a place that I most definitely would visit again and I have only added them to make sure that should you visit you are prepared.

The location is truly wonderful and if you are into isolation and watching the sea crash onto rocks below you then this is the place. It was restful and so peaceful, sea and star gazing from the balcony was just perfection.

The beaches are stunning and we found some sheltered bays just down from the hotel which made snorkelling very easy and enjoyable.

We had a very large room but it was very sparsely furnished. There was also what seemed to be the remains of a small kitchenette however only a sink and counter, no fridge, microwave, cutlery or plates which was a bit odd.

A few items for consideration but do not let them put you off visiting:

Car is essential, taxi to San Miguel is $40 round trip
No local restaurants or bars after 6pm - there are no shops (not necessarily a bad thing!)
Free wifi doesn't work
Website is seriously out of date
Booking was difficult
Coconuts Bar is next door but you can't see or hear it fortunately. 200m down the beach is a small rustic bar/restaurant doing beers and really fresh seafood during the day.

However the glory of the entire place is the manager Lupita and her conch blowing husband Gary. They were kind enough to take us into town on the evening of our arrival after we found there was no food so instead of going for a meal we decided on beers (Gary kindly provided us with ice and a cooler back at the hotel) and some snacks and had an impromptu picnic on the balcony and also ran us back to San Miguel after our stay. The breakfast is also great!

In summation - not a cheap option for what you get but if you are prepared then it's an incredible place

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Johnnie007
Reviewed March 8, 2011

I saw this beautiful hotel when I was in Cozumel in July, 2010. I planned a return trip for November. In September I made a reservation and sent a deposit which covered 4 nights at the hotel. Less than two weeks after the reservation was made, I had to cancel. I immediately asked for a refund. It took numerous emails (at least 20), phone calls help from my bank to finally receive my refund. Don't make a deposit on the room. The tourism is down and I'm sure you can get a room when you get there.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank julia_mcdonnell
Reviewed February 15, 2011

After extensive research on Trip Advisor, my wife, another couple, and myself visited Ventanas al Mar for four days in February.
We stayed in the Tortuga Suite (room #1) which has upper and lower ocean front verandas as well as north facing windows overlooking the beach. The room itself was decorated with all kinds of knick-knacks like wood carved turtles and lots of sea shells. There were some nice original paintings of views from their beach and the bathrooms were decorated with bright colored and festive ocean-themed tile. Our bedroom was located upstairs via a spiral staircase and featured a comfortable, somewhat firm king-sized bed with a beautiful hand-carved headboard. Most mornings we laid sideways in our bed and watched the sun come up over the sea - a nice way to wake up after listening all night to the glorious ocean through our open doors and windows. Sometimes the waves crashed loud enough to wake me up, but I didn't care because it allowed me to enjoy the mesmerizing ocean sounds even longer.
The sitting room downstairs was an ideal place for us to hang out with our friends and it had a separate kind of kitchen area with a sink that was nice for preparing cocktails and snacks. We requested a cooler and cutting board with a knife and a few dishes and were immediately accomodated by Lupita, the new manager, and Coco, the friendliest person on the planet. Lupita was on her way into town that afternoon and graciously brought us back some ice when she returned. She repeatedly asked if we needed anything throughout our stay and she always made us feel at home with her pleasant demeanor.
The first morning at Ventanas, I turned on the water and began what I thought would be one of several cold showers based upon previous reviews. I was more than pleasantly surprised when after a few minutes I was bathing in steaming hot water! My wife and I always had plenty of hot water every day for showering and washing our hands. We also always had electricity although I don't think their system (diesel generator, solar panels, and batteries) would accomodate high wattage appliances like a hair dryer or microwave oven. There was purified water available from water coolers placed just outside the rooms.
Coco served up plenty of coffee, fruit, yogurt, granola, deliciously prepared eggs, and french toast for breakfast each morning always with a generous portion of good cheer! I think he was enjoying himself more than we were most times. Usually this took place at a breakfast area overlooking the ocean. But one day, it was so rainy that an outside breakfast was just not do-able. No problem! Coco just brought everything to each of our rooms. Mucho Gusto!Coco was definitely one of the highlights of our stay. I sincerely hope that management realizes what a treasure they have in him.
But the best part of our stay at Ventanas al Mar was the BEAUTIFUL beach and ocean! Every time I turned around and looked again at it, the ocean seemed to reveal to me a new shade of blue or green. My wife would walk the nearly mile long and usually deserted stretch of beach to the north every morning in search of shells. The sand was so soft that, in places, I would sink in up to my ankles. It was extremely good exercise. One day some other guests brought a blow up raft and chair and we all frolicked in the two to five foot surf, laughing and screaming like children.
Everything at Ventanas al Mar met or exceeded our expectations with one small exception. Based upon earlier reviews, we expected to have a charcoal grill at our disposal but there was none. We were planning on cooking up an evening meal or two of fresh caught fish and shrimp from the local market. The food was delicious at Coconuts and Mezcalito's, but everything closes at night so it would have been especially nice to have had that ability. Hopefully, management will correct this minor deficiency.
Ventanas al Mar is not for everybody. If you require fve star luxury, this is not the place for you. We live in land-locked Nebraska so when we travel, we always seek out a unique experience either on, or nearby the ocean. We spent the first four days of our trip at one of the luxury all-inclusive resorts on the island and it was highly enjoyable. But long after we forget about that place, we'll still be talking about (and revisiting) Ventanas al Mar!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple