“Great diving experience”
Review of Aldora Divers

Aldora Divers
More attraction details
Owner description: Cozumel diving /tour company.
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I went with Aldora Divers because they would work with the cruise ship schedule. Our cruise ship was going to dock in Cozumel but I did not want to book through the ship, so I picked Aldora after reading reviews and looking at their website. After getting off the ship I had no problem getting a taxi and finding their shop. I had brought some of my own great but rented the rest of what I needed and filled out the paperwork. Then I went to the dock (just a short walk) where the boat was getting ready. They were having a problem with one of the motors on that boat so we took it to a resort to pick up two other divers and they had a different bigger boat waiting for us to switch to, to make sure we would have no problems getting back. Then we went and picked up one other diver at another resort and headed out to the reef. Our dive guide was Ernesto and he and the other guys on the boat did a great job. I really enjoyed the steel tanks, being able to use all my air and diving with other experienced divers in a small group! The dives were great and they got me back in plenty of time to still do some shopping before the ship left port. I would definitely dive with Aldora again if I got the chance.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Our group of friends has been diving in Cozumel many times over the last 7 years. This is definitely one of the greatest experiences we've had diving and staying on the island. My experience was so overwhelmingly positive, I feel like I should give the two caveats first:

1) Everyone I dealt with here (at both the Villa and dive shop) were amazingly friendly, accommodating, and professional. We would even hang out with others, and some of their neighbors, at the Villa after the dive. The sole exception was Edgar - he was impatient, condescending, and subtly mocked some of the divers. Everything else was so great, I don't want to downgrade my review just for his behavior - but I would avoid him if booking there.
2) They would be great for beginning divers, but more experienced divers will probably get even more out of the experience. For example, diving with Steel 120s means extremely long dive times, but you will be carrying little ditchable weight.

I will ALWAYS try to book with Aldora first when we return to Cozumel. I don't know anywhere else in the region where you regularly have 75 minute dives and a professional staff that caters to every need and is willing to go to any site on the island - even some unique ones not visited by other shops. This experience is further enhanced by staying at the Villa. They have a variety of rooms to suit any size group - from individuals to families that need multiple accommodations and kitchens. The saltwater infinity pool there is excellent for relaxing in the afternoon. It is personal enough that when I arrived I was greeted by name. They keep extra tanks and weights at the Villa, so if you want to do a free night dive or afternoon shore dive you can just jump in and enjoy the excellent reef full of life right in front of the villa. Plus, it is close enough to town to easily right one of the bicycles they provide (again, with no charge) into town for dinner. And the dive boat usually picks you up at your front door every morning. It doesn't get much better than that!

I can't recommend Aldora highly enough, and am looking forward to diving with them again!

1  Thank Painiac
Reviewed September 5, 2013

They definitely live up to its name, the best of Cozumel. Fast boats, steel tanks, knowledgeable and experienced dive master, who is willing to take you to some of the best sites of the island.

However, I wished they can divide the divers base on the skill levels, once in a while we get a novice diver who's struggling with controlling buoyancy or suck up the tank too fast, it's harder to explore more advanced dive with novice diver on the same boat. We had a dive that the dive master had to go up and switch tanks and came back down to get us.

For the experience of the dive as well as safety, I think Aldora should pay more attention to dividing the divers to similar skill levels.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is my second time to dive with Aldora Divers. While I do recommend them, you need to read all the reviews, not just the good ones. All dive operations have their good and bad points.
The good:
They will usually pick up up at Villa Aldora if you are staying there (which I highly recommend).
They use steel tanks which are about 10 lbs negative so watch the amount of weight you use.
Their boats appear to be in good shape
They will handle all your gear and change out the tanks between dives
They provide a mesh dive bag for your gear and clean it each evening
The not so good:
Each day we were on a different boat
Each day we had a different dive master
The reviews about the dive master Ernesto were spot on in that he really likes hunting lion fish. While that is interesting for a few minutes, I did not pay for him to spear fish. He was accommodating on asking us where we wanted to dive and is a nice guy.

We did not want to use Nitrox and that seemed to throw them off some.

Our two favorite dive masters were Davio and Steve. Not sure how long Steve has been with them, but he was very attentive and wanted to be sure everyone was enjoying themselves.

Be prepared for a 45 minute to an little over an hour boat ride to the first site.

The first couple of days, we took our surface interval at a beach place. That was nice to be able to stretch your legs and get off the boat. However, something happened and Memo pulled away from the shore places and the surface intervals are now sitting in the boats.

Overall, this is a well run and professional outfit. My suggestion is to find a dive master you like and insist on staying with that person for all you dives.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

As a big guy who sucks a lot of air no matter what, I did a lot of research for both quality of dive operator and size of cylinders.

I have finished 13 of 15 dives with Aldora Divers over the last five days (two more later today), and Aldora delivered with excellence in ALL ways.

First-- 120 cylinders, the only operator with them on the island so that even an air-sucker like me has a chance at a lengthy dive.

Second-- the dive masters! There were many, but Almendra ("Alli"), Manuela, and Dario were especially strong, attentive, explanatory, and patient. I call Dario the "man with the X-ray eyes" for his uncanny ability to see and find anything on the bottom... including a buried heart urchin that had a baby crab living on it.

Third-- The alternative air source option. Even with the 120s, at depth greater than 80 I just don't get much time. But the standard plan with Aldora is to share air with the DM and all DMs have EXTRA long hoses for their alternates to allow greater comfort and mobility. Everywhere else, I have had to ascend with one DM and exit the water after the safety stop. Here, I was able to remain with the other divers for the full lengths of the dives. On one particular deep dive, 130 feet, they even outfitted me with a spare 30 cylinder for the initial descent so I could use my main air for the actual dive portion.

Fourth-- The dive sites. Thirteen dives (so far) and not one repeat and divers are polled before each dive to see where we want to go.

Yes... Aldora is a bit more expensive than other operators. But the quality of service and the potential longer dives makes it well worth it in my opinion.

THANK YOU, all at Aldora!

See separate review on Villa Aldora, the associated hotel property.

1  Thank EngTeacher