“Clean, covenient location... but noisy” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vista del Mar Boutique Hotel

Vista del Mar Boutique Hotel
Ranked #29 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Port Washington, WI
“Clean, covenient location... but noisy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2007

We just returned from a stay for 3 nights at Vista del Mar. The location was convenient (right in town), the room was clean and AC worked and the staff was very friendly. The only things that bothered us were:
a) we couldn't control the AC temp on our own, the employees had to come in and change it and as soon as the maids came in and cleaned, they would turn it back up (probably to save money), so when we returned from a long (hot) day the room was pretty stuffy.
b) we think there may have been a touch of mold, as my fiance's allergies kicked in the minute we stepped in. For allergy sufferers, it could cause some discomfort.
c) the "breakfast" was just some cold rolls, juice and coffee. I think its misleading (on Travelocity at least) to say they serve breakfast, when in fact it is continental and nothing more. I am accustomed in Mexico when they say "breakfast" they mean at least fresh fruit, yogurt, toast and coffee.
d) The "Ocean View" rooms are noisy and not worth the extra money, in contrast with some traveler's reviews. While the view is ok, (if you like watching enormous cruise ships pull in and dock), the road is REALLY noisy. I would most definitely get the regular room next time.
e) their pool is cold.
All in all, I'd stay there again as long as our room wasn't moldy because the location is good, the price is good and the staff is great.

Stayed February 2007
6 Thank aw_port

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Hebrew first
Oregon coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2007

The rooms at Vista del Mar are very comfortable, including the beds, bathroom, and especially the chair inside with some sort of nylon netting. For the money, it's a really nice hotel. Fridge, TV, liter of bottled water left in room everyday, very clean, and good, quiet A/C. Spend the extra $10/night for an ocean view and a lovely ocean breeze.

The biggest problem is the location. It's near the cruise ship docks, so every morning thousands of people stream off the boats, crowding shops on the riverfront. The good news is that they are all gone by 6 pm, so the town quiets down significantly. On Sundays there are fewer or NO ships, so try to go then and plan in-town activities for that day.

I would recommend this hotel for a shorter stay. If you want a more relaxing place, look outside town.

Stayed February 2007
7 Thank lian68
nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for one night. I thought the accomodations were fine but nothing to rave about. They have a pool but it is very small and not in a relaxing environment. They try to go the extra mile with the welcome cocktail and the morning coffee and juice brought to your room. It is a fine hotel for the budget traveler looking for a decent place to stay in town. But, when I was there, I didn't want to spend time at the hotel, it wasn't comfortable to me.

• Liked — they tried
  • Disliked — old~ pool area above a shopping area
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank apeakhiker
Hendersonville, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2006

Our original booked hotel was a disaster; after our first night ther e in May, 2005, we started checking out other hotels to stay at for the duration of our trip.

Then we came across Vista Del Mar. It was destiny, I figure. VDM and all the personnel made us feel like this was our personal family hotel. They pampered us in every which way. This past May, our family of 7 divers, returned again, and were greeted with crackers and cheese plate and bottle of wonderful Cabernet. It was like coming home to our Cozumel family. The pampering continued each day. Upon our request, the staff told us where to find the local's cheeseburger in Paradise-tio Memo's. We are all looking forward to returning to the same wonderful hotel and staff for the rest of our years diving. We felt safe and cared for. Thanks for everything, Martin, Judith, Eva and all--even Sr. Mariachi!!!! for a great stay and time.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — na
  • Tips/Secrets — For divers with heavy gear to carry each day, book 2nd story rooms.
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled with family
11 Thank AuntPuddles
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2006

My wife and myself stayed a Vista del Mar August 13-18th. Check in was simple and the front desk staff wonderful. They provide 1 bottle of water each day and there is other purified water available by the front desk.

The view out our room was awesome! Beautiful blue water kids swimming across the road at the "beach". The room had a safe and refrigerator. Once we figured out C was for caliente( hot in Spanish) the shower temperature was great.

We went diving each morning and returned to find our room spotless every day. The dive op Blue xt Sea picked us up at the Aldora pier about a block away. They rinsed and stored our gear every night. Great diving with a great operation!

The local restaurants were very good our favorite was La Candela. $6 for lunch including drinks. If you are looking for a little fancier meal try Guido's or French Quarter both very good but more expensive.

Overall we has a wonderful stay and would recommend Vista del Mar for anyone wanting to stay downtown.

• Liked — location and cost
  • Disliked — noise from road
  • Tips/Secrets — close hurricane shutters to keep noise from road down.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
11 Thank stevenq99
Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2006

We just got back 7/21 from a one week stay at Vista Del Mar. I booked through Sky Auction and got the whole week for $210. We lucked out because a father and daughter were rode the cab with us. If they hadn't I might not have figured out how to get up to the front desk. It is located on the 2nd floor but the main sign is on the front of the building and the stairs are on the sign.

When we got to the lobby area we were greeted immediately with a hug and 'welcome' along with champagne glasses filled with a little grenadine and ice cold orange juice. We were made not only to feel welcomed but treated like family our entire stay.

Our room was on the 2nd floor overlooking the plaza area. I wanted to upgrade to ocean front but after looking at the other rooms my daughter wanted to keep the room we had. There seems to be about 4 different type rooms out of the 20 total. Our room was really a suite, the main room had a king size bed, and the other room had a full size. There is a wall dividing the rooms but has just a doorway, no door.

We had a safe in our room but they require a credit card imprint for the key. When we checked out they gave me all the credit card papers. We had a small fridge that was already turned on along with the window air conditioner. There's a dressing table and chair along with a good size closet as well. The bathroom has a shower but no tub. The room was very nice and decorated well. My teenage daughter was even impressed with the room.

We had a nice size balcony with table and chairs overlooking the plaza. It appeared only the end rooms on the back side of the hotel have balconies. The others have a sliding door but you can't really step outside. I sat outside during the day and even though it was noisy down below it was really nice and not disturbing. You couldn't hear the noise inside because of the air conditioner. The shops close at 6 so we never had a problem at night.

Each evening the staff came to turn down the beds and would leave a little basket with candy and a card that had an inspirational saying on it. They would ask each night what time we wanted breakfast in the morning. Breakfast consisted of coffee or tea, sweet bread with jam, and juice. Each day the cleaning lady left a new 1 liter bottle of water. If you ran out before she brought more you could go over to the employee room and refill from their 5 gallon dispenser. Also, they have a microwave in there that you can use.

The staff are what makes this hotel so exceptional. I only dealt with Martin and Eva for the most part but they were so kind and helpful. They greeted us every time we walked by and were more than willing to answer any questions. They even made calls for me to get information on tours, etc. I needed to call someone's cell phone in Cozumel but couldn't call from my room. They let me use their phone to make the call so I wouldn't have to go off somewhere to do it.

We rented a car one day from Smart and got what I thought was a very good deal. Eva suggested we park over at the post office so we wouldn't have trouble getting a parking spot out on the street, I wouldn't have known otherwise. We went around the island on the east side and the views were breathtaking. Stop at Coconuts for a drink or food. They have one of the best views on the island.

The resort is affiliated with Mr Sancho's beach club. You get a 15% discount on food and one free horseback ride if you show your room key. It was nice there but I thought the food was expensive. A few days later we went to Paradise Beach Club with some friends that came in on a cruise ship. Paradise was a LOT more expensive than Mr. Sancho's which I thought was pretty high. We spent a ton of money that day. A regular size bottle of water was $2.50 and hamburgers were $10.

The hotel is 4 blocks from the town square so we walked there every evening for dinner and usually for lunch as well. Mcdonalds is 2 doors down if you need something quick.

One evening I wanted to watch the sunset and asked if I could go in one of the empty oceanfront rooms to sit on the balcony. Martin took me to one of the rooms that had a better view and I sat there for 1/2 hour at least just watching the crowds and the sunset which was beautiful.

The pool is on the 2nd floor but you walk up a set of stairs to get to it. It's not real big but was plenty big for the two of us. I rarely saw anyone out there unless they were sitting at the tables. They do have a couple of tables and a bench but unfortunately no loungers.

We felt more than safe staying at the hotel and Cozumel without having a male with us. This was a girls only trip and we had no problems at all. The only thing the hotel should really do is add deadbolts on the room doors. I didn't really mind since there is a security guard there at night after the staff leaves.

This was a very relaxing trip and I would love to go and stay there again. Martin asked me when I was coming back and if I would stay there again as we were checking out. I would definitely stay there again whether alone or with others.

• Liked — Good sized rooms and fantastic staff.
  • Disliked — Nothing really.
  • Tips/Secrets — Book through Sky Auction.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
20 Thank Krim
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2006

The key to having a satisfying experience, wherever you go, is to have the right expectations. The Vista del Mar (lovingly referred to as the Bista del Mar in my family) is a hotel for those who care more about diving than having a luxury hotel experience. Do not go there expecting any of the following: a beach at your doorstep, really hot water, soft beds, an activity coordinator (or any supervised group snorkeling activities the cruse boat crowds are so fond of), an all-inclusive meal package, or those cute little drinks served in a pineapple with a colorful umbrella. You want those things, catch a cab to the El Presidente or the Cozumeleno, they'll fix you up. If you want a clean room, a great close-to-it-all location and can fend for yourself when it comes to finding restaurants or a good beach to enjoy the fruity drinks, then the Vista is your place. As for the noise level in the rooms facing the busy city street: ear plugs (it's good idea to bring these anywhere you go, just in case). FYI: if you want to really liven up your evenings (and you don't mind a bit of juvenile humor), fill up some water balloons and drop them off the balcony down to unsuspecting tourists. The balcony railings are solid walls, so just duck behind there to avoid being seen.

• Stayed June 2004