“Studio Blue Dive Shop”

Dive House
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I have been diving with Studio Blue for the last 4 years, and they are the best. Always double checking equipment and questioning to form dive groups by experience. Groups are small, 3 to 4 per dive quide. Safety is a number 1 issue, and I appreciate that. Lots of bottled water, fresh fruit, English speaking guides and a singing captain... Lots of fun, and they are experts at finding the marine organisms hideaways!What more could you want?

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We dove with Dive House which had a location on property (at the time Fiesta Americana) but had other locations on the island and at the time of this writing was still in business. They were nice boats, and the crews were amazingly helpful and hospitable, yet professional. Our favorite dive master was Orlando, with a close second of Victor. As the week went on we were paired with divers of similar abilities and desires, and felt like we could see or go wherever was desired or best suited for us.
The majority of the diving is drift diving, and the entire West and South West sides of the island are rocky which makes for varying topography offering reefs, walls, caves, and significant swim troughs, the most notorious being Devil's Throat. As far as marine life we saw everything you would expect to see in the Caribbean, from all the tropical fish, turtles, eels, barracuda, and even a lobster that was 20 pounds.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I got to the Sunscape Sabor Resort and after getting settled went to make arragements for diving. I had originally planned 3, 2 tank dives.

The first day they gave me access to the pool for a check out dive to make sure all was good with my gear. They immediately took charge of my gear and I never worried about it after that.

The first day I went out and was just tossed into a group and had a great time. I was not as experienced as the other divers and the only person on the boat that did not use NITROX. In all I did 13 dives during the week. 3 members of our group did a discovery dive, and had a great time too. Victor, Keiko, Manuel, and David were all great divemasters. Do the C-53 wreck, very cool. 13 dives, and only one repeat site, just a different path. Drift diving usually presents a number of challenges for surface recovery. The boat drivers were outstanding, waiting at the surface for us when we came up. The crew mates always had our gear set up and bottled water for us inbetween dives. We saw a ton of wildlife and got great pictures of some small and rare, to the big and beautiful due to the dive masters attention and ability to alert us to all of the different photo opps.

The entire experience while we were in Cozumel was great, Dive House just made the diving another unforgettable part of the experience.

1  Thank John E
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I dove with the dive house 4 over a long weekend last month and had 3 days of great dives. Arrived on time, boats were fully prepped, site selection good, between dive snacks, etc. very helpful getting in and out of the water and switching gear for us. We were there with a dive group so they let us handle lots of the dive planning, low frills in that department.
I read one other review where someone noted being sent to the surface early due to no computer. We did have one dive that included a newly minted diver on his first dive and they did the same thing, made him surface early on dive 1. Them DM then observed their safety stop work and checked his air and talked between dives about his comfort. They were allowed to stay down the entire dive for #2. The diver questioned at first but later said he understood why they did it and didn't seem to have any real problems with the procedure.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

We were planning to dive 3 days with Dive House, but after one day, quickly asked for a refund of our remaining dives and switched dive operations in Cozumel. We will never dive with Dive House and will strongly discourage friends and family traveling to Cozumel to do the same. Here's what happened....the battery was dead in my dive computer. My husband (100+ dives) and I (50+ dives) stuck close to the dive master (in fact in most cases, I stayed a little above him because I am super safe and didn't have my computer) but he made us surface at least 20 minutes before everyone else on the dive. On the first dive, I still had 1500lbs of air. We had no idea why he was telling us to surface (because he hadn't explained it to us before hand) and he just kept clanking his tank and motioning for us to ascend. When he finally came to the boat (seriously, like 20 minutes later) he explained it was because I didn't have a computer and we should have rented one from the shop for $5. Um....what? Since we were on a 2 tank dive, we had no way to rent one at that point and didn't want to totally miss out. So, we did the second dive too. Again, same thing. We stayed REALLY close to the dive master this time (hoping he would realize that we were being super safe) and he still clanked away like a mad man and made us ascend way, way before everyone else. We felt totally cheated. I understand that they need to be safe, but we have never seen anything like this anywhere in the world! Usually, if you stay with the dive master, they are willing to use their own dive computer as a rough estimate of your bottom time, etc and that is plenty safe. We really felt like we were being discrimated against, but we are good divers so we didn't understand why.
The funny thing is, the next day, when we were diving with Dive Palancar (and they had kindly replaced the battery in my computer for me) we kept hearing clanking, clanking, clanking from a nearby dive group and quickly looked over to see it was the crew from Dive House. The loudest and most ridiculous group around! Afternote from my husband: Dive House was also way more expensive than Dive Palancar and it seemed like they were trying to drum up every extra cent out of us that they could. Considering that our dives were cut short we definately felt cheated!

6  Thank Megan75_12