“Good lunch, good service but overall over priced”

La Bahia del Caribe
Ranked #118 of 460 Restaurants in Cozumel
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed February 19, 2017

We visited this restaurant yesterday for lunch. Like the other reviews say, it's off the main tourist area but perfectly safe to visit and easy to find (5th avenue, down by the cemetery). The staff there are friendly and welcoming, speak a little English so you can navigate. Service was good, food presentation was also very good. We did enjoy our meal (I had a whole fried fish (red snapper), hubby had fried garlic fish (sea bass). I wanted the smaller fish b/c it was lunch and they said they didn't have any more of the small sized fish, I'd have to get the next bigger fish which was 60p more (which was fine but when the bill came it was actually 110p more) so not sure if this is a selling strategy or the real deal. Did enjoy my meal and hubby did too though he though his sea bass was a little under cooked. Overall, good meal. For 2 meals and 2 waters (at 15p each), we though $25 USD was a lot. Felt like there were different prices for locals and tourist, there is no way local family can afford $25 for lunch. Don't mind folks making money but also don't like being overcharged. We probably would not go back b/c of the pricing....

Date of visit: February 2017

Reviewed January 28, 2017

It is a wonderful place that is quite local and has very few tourists. The staff is very nice and friendly. We like our fish grilled plain. Most of the local restaurants put a funky oil or butter on their fish that ruins it for us. Baha'i does not. The side salad was also good as was the rice and vegetables. We have been there twice and will continue to go. The ceviche also looked good. For us this really was the best local place we have found in 8 years. We also love Especias, Kondessa, Konya and Guidos as a reference point. This fun and very reasonable.

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed January 7, 2017

This place was right near the place we were staying. It looks like someones house from the street, but once you go into the back yard it a full blown restaurant. I got the lion fish tacos, and the were great. should have went here much earlier in our stay.

Reviewed December 27, 2016 via mobile

So happy to have been there. Waiters are veryyyy nice and helpful (hard to find it in mexico in turistic places). We enjoyed our dinner, it was great. I never ate lion fish before, and i was so happy with my choice. It was delicious. I had it with garlic and my boyfriend had is with a mexican sauce that was delicious also. I totally recommend this place!! Its well made and you will eat a new dish that you wont find everywhere.

Reviewed December 9, 2016

We were pleasantly surprised and had a very relaxing meal here tonight at the recommendation of our dive master. My wife wanted to try lion fish (Pesca de Leon) as it is a predator to the Cozumel reef (not native to Caribbean) and Bahia del Caribe specializes in lion fish, lobster and shrimp.

A little off the beaten path, this restaurant is located a (long) block back from the main strip and hidden behind another building set back from the road under a huge palapa and shaded by trees. The temperature dropped upon entry and we were greeted in English by a very friendly owner who was enjoying his own shrimp cocktail (always a good sign when the owner eats his own food).

My wife got a grilled rock fish and I had shrimp and cheese tacos. Both were excellent (we share). Our waiter was friendly and prompt with refilling drinks and nachos. Considering the quality and taste of the food, we found our $25 meal (for both of us including tip) to be quite economical (much better than the $40 "okay" meal we had on the strip).

A little tricky to find .. but well worth it.