“Ship O'hoy!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Arte de Origen

Arte de Origen
Ranked #93 of 158 things to do in Cozumel
More attraction details
Owner description: Arte de Origen is a company that produces and designs unique objects inspired on images from different Mexican and Latin- American cultures.We embody such images in; carpets, boxes, furniture, mirrors and sculptures, made integrally by hand. We mainly use, paper, fabrics, metal, paints, patinas and lacquer, thus insuring unique objects, finished with wax and pigments.We use the collagetechnique to perform our objects. This are: small pieces of paper cut by hand to create the layout of each object and leave the imprint of the hand made. In this sense, every object is unique and has been made based on this principal.In some pieces the technique is developed on objects with wooden base and in the case of the tapestries they are made on basis of Kraft paper. Painting is not used, but rather is work with the original colors of the paper. In all cases the objects are finished with the patinas wax technique.Enjoy the world of Arte de Origen.
Helsinki, Finland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Ship O'hoy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

This trip to Cozumel was via Oasis of the Seas (cruise ship). Arte de Origen stood out from main stream. Shop was extremely simple yet beautiful and attractive. Service was excellent and handmade products were fantastic. We loved the feeling and atmosphere. Salesperson was polite and helpful and most important not too pushy. Prices were just a bit high for buying all gifts for friends and family, but we got nice unique piece of art for our home. Delivery system made shopping easy and attractive. We can and will commend Arte de Origen to everybody.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Emma K

Tampa, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Visit Ivan at Arte de Origen”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

This trip to Cozumel was via cruise ship. While most of my group went to the beaches, I strolled the lively streets and colorful window displays. I simply could not walk past Arte de Origen. The unique, Mexican made, cultural art pieces displayed in the shop window were mesmerizing. I particularly liked the handmade lacquered boxes of paper collages, flecked with gold or in patina as they are not only practical, but unique cultural artwork for any decor. Each is box is different...very natural and organic... and some have fabric or leather ties which securely clasp the lids. I like to travel with a small jewelry box and this "tie" secures the box closed in any position. Ivan was so patient while I pondered over the many choices. Once, he go an idea of my taste, he even went in the back to find exactly what I wanted. I did buy three and was the envy of the ship when I returned with my purchases.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank cherylyvonne
Indianapolis, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Unique items that you won't find in other shops”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I've been vacationing in Cozumel for over 10 years and enjoy looking for gifts that are uniquely from Mexico. During this last trip I discovered Arte de Origen and was pleasantly surprised to see so many beautiful hand-crafted items that are truly unique and can't be found in any of the typical tourist stores on the island. Arte de Origen is more like a gallery than a store; the items are displayed in a way that allows you to enjoy the pieces as you would in a gallery.

The gentlemen that run the gallery are very knowledgeable about the items and processes used to make them. One thing I very much appreciated is that they're passionate about the artistic aspects of the items without having the pushy hard-sell approach that visitors typically encounter elsewhere.

This is an upscale place and most of the items offered are beyond the typical T-shirt/shot glass price points. This was a plus for me because I wanted something classy that reflected the local culture. There are a few things priced inexpensively for people who want something more unique than the things that are sold at the touristy stores.

I really enjoyed the visit and am looking forward to my next trip - Arte de Origen will be on my list of places to visit!

Visited October 2012