“Excellent stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
San Francisco Bay Area
“Excellent stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2009

My husband and I spent four nights in the king-sized bed room and have nothing but wonderful things to say about the room, Dan (the owner) and our treatment. The bed, pillows and linens were all very comfortable. The amenities in the room were all nice and very homelike. Free calls to the US were a wonderful convenience to us and utilized without problems other than occasionally needing to sit in the courtyard for reception. The location is right across the street from the airport but we never heard a plane. As the location is not downtown, you either have to walk downtown which is a bit of a walk(which we did a couple of days) or ask for a taxi (around $3 US each way).

Dan, the host with the most, is unbelievably attentive and helpful. My husband and I travel quite a bit and we have never had anything close to the type of service we received here, including at fancy resorts. I truly cannot say enough about him! Mention also has to be made of Diego, who runs the restaurant around the corner. Diego was as accomodating of us as Dan. One morning, we needed to leave for diving before Diego even opened so Dan placed an order with him the night before and Diego came in early, made us breakfast and delivered it to our room...again, all before he was even scheduled to open!

This is not a large, fancy resort with restaurants and bars in the lobby. This is a quaint, unpretentious boutique hotel with four guest rooms. If you are looking for resort amenities on site, this is not your place. If, like us, you want a quiet and romantic place where you have a good chance of being the only people in the pool, I cannot recommend this place more. And, if you go, pet Trixie for us!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank saxonct

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2009

We REALLY enjoyed our stay at Casita de Maya! We typically stay at beachfront 5 star resorts, but this changed our minds. Dan the owner was incredibly helpful: he exchanged our dollars for pesos, walked down to the local beer joint with us to buy beer for our in-room fridge, pointed us to several great local restaurants, and did so much for us when my husband lost his wallet: driving to the restaurants we'd gone to, calling all the places we'd visited, etc. (a tourist found it in a cab -- the kindness of strangers!). The experience was so unique, staying in a Mexican neighborhood rather than a remote resort somewhere. It was great to just walk a few blocks & make friends with local vendors, speaking only Spanish & enjoying a non-touristy experience. We really loved Trixie the dog, who followed us to Diego's restaurant & La Perlita, the best seafood restaurant on the island (according to us AND the fabulous chef of Kinta, who said it's his favorite place on the island).
The only downside was the roughness of the sheets & towels, & the $14 round trip cab ride each time we needed to get to the center of town. But that's a small price to pay for the incredible service & laid-back atmosphere Dan provides, and the price point for an island destination. Kitty & Trixie the dog round out the experience, and Jolie the cleaning lady & her daughter Leydi were a joy. Overall a great investment!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dan_Kom, Relations Director at Casita de Maya, responded to this review, December 5, 2009
We at Casita de Maya would like to thank you for the review and do appreciate the feedback from your stay with us. I would like to clear a few things for those who might get sidetracked. The normal Taxi fare to downtown Cozumel Proper costs between 2 to 4 Dollars maximum. The 14 US Taxi fare the the above was referring to was the cost to the International Pier, where the dive shop was located. Therefore, the correct fare was applied.

All of our Towels and Linen's are purchased in the USA, and have a minimum thread count of 250 or higher, and most bear the Ralph Lauren Label.

Therefore, we will pay more attention to ensure that our products will provide the maximum comfort and feel. Thank you for your kind words and input about our facility.

Sincerely.

Dan Komorosky
Relations Director
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2009

If you come to Cozumel and don't stay at Casita de Maya you are missing out. Dan is wonderful and will get you anything you need. Try the tacos at Diego's taco stand right outside (delicious) or go to his restaurant right around the corner (equally delicious). This place has everything you could possibly want, at a much better price than the big resorts. It is more like staying with a friend than staying at a hotel. We will be back!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2009

When we initially arrived at Casita de Maya we were a little bit worried that the location was a little bit far from the centre. We were wrong. While it is a little bit of a long walk to town - though we did it several times- it is simple and cheap to get taxis and any slight inconvenience is so worth it for the pleasure of staying somewhere so nice. Dan is a great host and really looks after his guests. The rooms are lovely and Dan goes out of his way to ensure that everything is top quality. The towels, linens and toiletries were some of the nicest I have ever used. I wanted to bring the shower gel home with me!

The whole Casita de Maya experience is fantastic. You get to meet lots of friendly helpful Mexican people like Diego and Pepe and it really gives you an idea of what it is like to live in Cozumel. I loved sitting by the pool each evening with a beer listening to Radio Margarita which Dan had playing. It was just super relaxing and exactly what you want from a holiday. We also got out and about and Dan gave us great recommendations of where to go on the island and helped us sort out a car. He gave us great restaurant recommendations as well including Diego's wonderful breakfasts. They served the best refried beans I had in Mexico and Dan is going to send me the recipe. La Mission was cheap and had really nice food and I would also highly recommend Le Cocay where we went one night for a treat.

If you are travelling to Cozumel I would definitely recommend Casita de Maya over an impersonal all inclusive hotel. You won't regret it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Casita de Maya for our honeymoon in July. Our itinerary looked liked this: fly into Cozumel airport, stay at Casita de Maya for 4 nights to get the authentic Mexican experience, take the ferry to Playa del Carmen, stay at The Secrets all inclusive resort for 6 nights to get pampered.
After booking our trip I emailed both places to let them know it was our honeymoon and Dan (owner of the Casita) responded immediately. His email was very warm and comforting, he let us know he would get us anything we needed when we arrived.
So we got off the plane and walked (yes, it's walking distance from the airport but it's not in the flight path and I can honestly say I didn't hear one plane...even when I tried to listen for one!!) From the minute we walked through the gates I got a good vibe from Dan. He is very laid back, not your typical hotel owner. He walked us around the neighborhood and helped us get some beer right away. Dan was amazing and definately had the inside scoop on what to do, where to go, when to exchange money, etc. The hotel is cute, simple, has everything you would need. It is walking distance to downtown (although a decent walk, at least 15 minutes). We mostly took cabs because they were very inexpensive. You have to rent a car and tour the island or else your Cozumel experience won't be complete. Free wifi, we didn't bring our computer but Dan was nice enough to let me check my wedding pictures from his computer!
STAY AT CASITA DE MAYA!!! We are already day dreaming about a return trip with our friends!!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jessi263
Lille
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2009

SInce we went to Casita de Maya we can't stop saying every time we go to an other Hotel: "it's not Casita de Maya and Dan". Only regret: it's too far from France !!
Thank you Dan, you gave us unforgettable memories and we can only listen to your Spa Music waiting for coming back...

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nico_Mathilde
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2009

What can I say -- I just wish our 4-night stay here was more like 8 nights (or more). Hopefully, my girlfriend and I will return here sometime soon. Opting for Casita instead of an all-inclusive resort, we really enjoyed becoming more immersed in the local culture.

Everyone was so friendly and helpful. Dan was, of course, the man. He helped us with just about everything from getting a rental car, to finding restaurants, beaches, money exchanges, whatever we needed. Diego and Nidia at Diego's restaurant were really friendly and helpful too. They helped us find some local authentic places to shop. I just wish my Spanish was better, but I will have to practice more for next trip.

For places to check out on the island, I would recommend Palancar beach, which was pretty much empty on the Monday we went. However, when we returned on Wednesday, the cruise ships had landed and every beach resort was packed. You may want to check the cruise ship landing schedules if you can to avoid the crowds. We also enjoyed Coconut's bar and restaurant on the island's east side, and the nearby beach was really cool too. Here are some other restaurants -- Perlita's is a good Mexican seafood place near Casita, Parilla Mission was very tasty and authentic, and La Cocay was a really nice upscale Mexican restaurant with a beautiful garden patio.

If you've read many of these other reviews, there's not much else I can expand upon besides that this place was awesome. I would love to come back when the weather is cooler. Even though the room rates will be higher during peak season, this place would still be a bargain.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple