“Recession Buster! Fantastic Hotel at an Excellent Rate”
Review of Casita de Maya

Casita de Maya
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed December 10, 2008

As you can see the brand hotels in Cozumel are pretty expensive. In my opinion they're a rip off. I stayed at Casita de Maya and got a great room for a reasonable rate. Free coffee, water, internet, cable etc. All included.

This hotel has friendly management and represents excellent value. When the economy up north is struggling this hotel is a recession buster! Stay a week here instead of 2-3 nights at a brand name hotel.

Stayed: December 2008
There are newer reviews for Casita de Maya

Reviewed November 16, 2008

We only had 3 days in Cozumel, but managed to do a lot in that short time without becoming exhausted ! Dan, the owner, helped us rent a car for a day (highly recommended and cheap!) and we drove all the way around the island. We stopped for an hour alongside a ranch for horseback riding through the jungle. (we didn't need a reservation). Do not do the Horse carriage rides they give outside the ferry, they mistreat the horses. This hotel is not right on a beach, but there are so many within a short taxi ride away. If you want to stay away from the all inclusive hotels and stay at a more intimate place with many tips from Dan, this is the place to go. He helped us book scuba diving, restaurant recommendations, renting a car, and any other info we needed. Because we didn't have enough time we didn't do parasailing, but that can also be booked at the hotel. We ate at some great authentic mexican restaurants and had a wonderful time !! Thanks Dan!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank harvestmoon6002
Reviewed June 22, 2008

If you want to see the real Cozumel, all you have to do is walk across the street from the airport to Casita de Maya. "Island Dan" knows the island better than anyone. I consider myself a very lucky man to have become his friend during our stay at Casita de Maya. Our month long stay there exceeded any expectations that we had. Lastly, the most important thing is we have secured a bonding friendship that will last a lifetime. My wife and I miss everyone at the hotel and hope to return soon.

Mike and Shari

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lwayman
Reviewed June 17, 2008

I stayed at the Casita de Maya during a ten-day "working vacation" in Cozumel.

I'm a writer-photographer, and I specialize in SCUBA travel. This is what I looked for -- and got -- when I booked at the Casita de Maya: I wanted to stay in a quiet Cozumel hotel where I could retreat after each days' work to write and process my digital photos on my laptop. I wanted a broadband internet connection in my room so I could keep in continuous touch with my family, my business contacts on Cozumel and my business back home via VOIP phone, voicemail, email, and instant and text messaging. I wanted a location that was away from the hustle and bustle of the noisy cruise ship crowds. I needed instant access to my rental car with no parking hassles. I had to be able to jump in the car and go. I needed a host who was sensitive to my need to get business done, but also sensitive to the vacation part of my "working vacation." I needed a host who knew when to pay attention to me, and when to leave me alone.

Casita de Maya exceeded all my expectations. The owner, Dan, was a gracious and helpful host. He put a desk, chair and lamp in my room so I could work comfortably. He pointed out a cafe around the corner where I could get great and inexpensive meals in a hurry at odd hours -- even at six in the morning. Dan was friendly yet discreet. He knew when to be there, and when to disappear. When I had a problem or challenge with my work, Dan was Johnny-on-the-spot with appropriate suggestions. So was co-owner Mike. They make a great team.

The small pool in the courtyard was a nice touch. After a day's work broiling in the sun, grab an ice-cold one from the mini fridge in your room, take ten steps to the pool, hop in, cool off and REE-lax.

Life was good at the Casita de Maya. Whether you're in Cozumel for work or play -- or a little of both -- Casita de Maya is a great little place to call home.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
7  Thank robcurran
Reviewed May 25, 2008

We stayed at Casita de Maya two years ago for our honeymoon and we still dream of returning! The location is convenient, being just down the road from the airport. Before arriving, we were concerned about possible airport noise, but it was never an issue. The hotel was absolutely serene. Dan, the owner, was wonderful! His hospitality is incomparable. The dogs are a very charming touch. We look forward to coming back!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank egmar1979
Reviewed April 11, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at Casita de Maya for 10 days. It was nice and quiet, the pool was great and even though you could walk from the airport you couldn't really hear the planes.

Dan was really great and helped a lot with renting a car, telling us good places to go around the island and he even ordered me take-out and went to the pharmacy when I wasn't feeling well.

There are four rooms that you can book, and I think it would be the perfect place to go in a group where you can have the whole place to yourself. For the first week, there wasn't anyone else there, but for the last couple of days the 2 other rooms were booked and I could hear them in the mornings as they woke up early.

I would definitely stay again, but I would try to book the whole place and then it would be like my very own resort.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Vay_Cay_time
Reviewed March 31, 2008

My sister and I and our two daughters stayed at Casita de Maya from March 22nd to March 30th. We walked from the airport to the hotel and were greeted by Dan when we arrived. Dan is the greatest. He knows the island inside and out and gives great advise on everything. He organized parasailing for us plus a jeep excursion. Once we turned in our rental car he would call a cab for us anytime we needed one. He definately goes above and beyond to make your Cozumel experience a good one. Our mantra was "Ask Dan" the whole week we were there. Everything he suggested worked out great. I read all of the reviews before booking and now that I've stayed there I can easily say all of the reviews are dead-on. The hotel is clean, thanks Jolie, and very comfortable beds, bedding and towels. Great air conditioning plus a fan and nice hot showers. We rented the Queen room and the adjoining twin room. We basically used the rooms to sleep and shower and the rest of the time we were exploring the island. Mid week we were very tired and Dan suggested we order in pizza. It was a great idea. We didn't even think they would have pizza delivery in Cozumel. We walked around the surrounding neighborhood and had fun going to the little store to buy soda and snacks. We hope to visit Cozumel again. If we do, we will definately stay at Casita de Maya.
Thanks Dan!