“One of our best trips to Mexico”
Review of Casita de Maya

Casita de Maya
Ranked #9 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
windsor, ontario
“One of our best trips to Mexico”
Reviewed March 20, 2011

Within our first 2 hours of arriving we understood what all the great reviews were about. My husband and I arrived without our luggage because it did not make the connecting flight. Dan immediately offered to take me to the store to buy supplies, gave us snorkeling equipment to use until ours arrived, as well as towels and a cooler to get by. The now famous Diego stopped by, and when he found out we hadn't eaten he opened his restaurant for us and cooked us the most fantastic Grouper fajitas.
The next day Dan offered to go pick up our luggage, while Diego drove us over to Playa Azul beach to go snorkeling. The level of service and friendliness from both Dan, Diego, and Diego's son Eric were stunning. I have never stayed anywhere in the Americas that treated me as well.
The rooms and Casita look exactly like on the website-very clean and very nicely decorated, with linens from the U.S. Very comfortable beds, small fridge and microwave, air-conditioning as well as ceiling fan and floor fan. Nicely tiled bathroom with soap, shampoo and conditioner supplied. Purified water is free, as well as WiFi and all calls to U.S. and Canada. This is a huge bonus for anyone needing to check up on the kids. Also free coffee in the morning, and a plate of fruit was always available for snacking on. Bar area can be used to prep your own lunch, dinner etc. One of our most memorable nights was sharing food and drinks with the other guests in the very nice lounge area, which is covered by a Palapa.
If you stay here you really do need to a rent a car- you are right by the airport and need to drive to the beaches. We actually got to see most of the beaches on this trip as well as go to the "wild side" of Cozumel, rather than staying only in one place if we were staying on the ocean. This is ideal for anyone with a sense of adventure who would like to explore the island and see more of the "real" Mexico.
The Casita is right in a local residential area, but we felt quite safe. We even walked 6 blocks one evening to dinner and were greeted by the children playing in the streets, and by their parents watching them. We did here the planes coming and going, HOWEVER there are very few flights, and none at night. The sounds were never intrusive or bothersome as the planes do not fly overhead of the Casita.
To wrap it up, this is a fantastic place to stay for the slightly more adventurous traveler who is looking for more local culture, excellent cuisine-(make sure to eat at Diego's)
and beautiful scenery. i would not hesitate to return to Dan's traveling alone as a single woman. I left with some beautiful memories of the island and people, and feel that I have made some new friends as well.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mayantraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
London
Reviewed March 18, 2011

When we were walking down the road to the hotel we thought "have we made a mistake" as Casita de Maya is by the airport and nowhere else it seemed.
How wrong we were. Small but perfectly formed was our perfect base in San Miguel on Cozumel. Dan the owner is a brilliant host and has thought of everything for the rooms which makes it so great. He is also a mine of information and did everything from introducing us to the locals to getting up at 6am to make sure we got our cab to the dock.
In truth San Miguel seafront/ferry port area is a hell hole of commercialism aimed 100% at the cruise liner visitors but Casita de Maya is far enough out so you get a feel of the real place.
To top it all off we found a hummingbird nest only 10m from the hotel entrance, icing on the cake as they say.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed March 10, 2011

I cannot thank Dan enough for his hospitality. I feel like I made a new, dear friend. Dan took care of us in many unexpected ways, and he greatly helped us out with the local doctors when my wife became ill. He demonstrates a level of concern for his guests that goes far beyond any innkeeper I've met. The place itself is just lovely, with beautiful colors and tasteful decor, and we thoroughly enjoyed every minute we stayed. His staff are all excellent, as well, and our young friend Eric charmed all of the guests.

Casita de Maya has my highest recommendation!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2011

I had the opportunity to spend a few extra days in Cozumel after my family had returned to Canada and chose to stay at Casita de Maya.This was my third stay with dan and over the last couple of years and was made to feel so welcome .The staff all continue to go out of there to make your stay enjoyable fun and safe.I will look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank bestmom99
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 12, 2011

My friend and I finally got to Casita de Maya after two snow delays. Dan and staff were very accomodating. I felt that Dan really went above and beyond what anyone in an all-inclusive would do. He recommended good places to go eat; beyond the touristy places. The rooms were very well kept by Jolie. We had a lot of fun interacting with Dan and his staff. The Super Bowl Party was a blast. If you head this way, you should definitely stay here! Experience the food Diego has to offer. Thanks for a great time Dan, Jolie, and Wilbur!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank whitey1016
Bayside, New York
Reviewed February 11, 2011

It was our first visit to the island and Dan treated my girlfriend and I like family. He taught me how to drive stick, invited us out to non-tourist restaurants, and was helpful in every possible way. He was never intrusive and the amenities at this hotel are beautiful.

Travel tip: Fill bottles with filtered water at Casita de Maya for free and never pay for water at restaurants

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlmightyPete
Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed February 9, 2011

What a great little hotel. No messing with transfers from airport, a two minute walk and you are there. Dan and his crew, Wilbur,Jolie and Diego and his son Erik will provide everything you need. There is no noise from the airport. And we were quite surprised to find it only a 20-25 minute walk downtown and there several places to eat within 5-10 mins. Dont miss breakfast at Diego's stand around the corner. After a long tiring day travelling around the beaches this was the perfect place to come home to and I really mean home if you happen to have a Palapa in your living room. The rooms are spacious and immaculate as were the bathrooms and great water pressure. Internet is great as were the free phone calls back home. Dan also offered to share his stash of Tim Horton's coffee( Canadian coffee lovers will understand.0 I could go on forever but there is a reason Casita De Maya is rated #1 because Dan and crew make it so welcoming.

Stayed January 2011, traveled with family