“Just what I was looking for”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cozumel
IslaMar Vacation Villas
Ranked #16 of 47 Specialty Lodging in Cozumel
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I just returned from a two week trip to Cozumel, staying at the IslaMar Villas. This was my fourth trip to Cozumel, and I was looking for something quiet and off the tourist track. I was very, very pleased with my experience here. From the great pre-trip communication with Sherri, to being personally met and greeted on arrival - right through the entire stay - it was great. As other reviews have noted, the place is immaculate, both the units and the property. The onsite team does everything possible to keep it that way, and to make you feel very welcome. I was also traveling alone for part of the trip, and hoped for a place where I could make connections with other guests. IslaMar was perfect for this - as many of the guests return year after year, and stay for weeks/months at a time. Everyone was extremely friendly with good advice about local spots. I was there over Carnival week, and it was great fun to watch the neighborhood prepare for the events - without being impacted by the noise closer to town. It is a bit of a walk to the waterfront, and you may wish to have some sort of transportation - even a bicycle would be great. But taxis are plentiful and cheap, and an onsite local phone is provided to facilitate those calls. Although the kitchen was a plus, there are so many local inexpensive places to eat with wonderful food - that I cooked less than I anticipated. Next time, I hope to stay longer!

Room Tip: I really enjoyed having an upper room with views over the rooftops and to enjoy the evening breeze.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank cindykru

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here over the holidays and were surprised to find this gem last minute. The owner, Sherri, was very helpful - as was Miguel, the manager on site. They both helped us arrange our diving with Dive Paradise, where Sherri used to be a dive master.

The location was great for finding non-touristy restaurants, and was a 30 minute hike into town for diving. We stayed in room #6, a one bedroom with a flat screen and kitchen. This was an easy choice for cost effective accommodations - we really enjoyed staying here!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stuknclds
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Overall: Wonderful! IslaMar is one of the cleanest places I've ever stayed at, and it has absolutely everything I need to feel right at home! It's so nice to stay in such a well appointed villa where I can make ice cubes, fresh coffee, prepare meals, etc. If I don't feel like cooking in the villa, their welcome book contains the best collection of restaurants and information I've seen. The villas themselves are safe, secure, well decorated, very spacious and comfortable. Beautiful plants surrounding the garden area always enhance my pool time experience. Zuri and Miguel are also very attentive and make sure everything is perfect and timely. This is a little slice of perfection without any of the commercialism!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank 1Caribdreamin
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Another outstanding stay--which has become routine for me at Islamar. The villas are quiet and comfortable, the grounds attractive and the staff friendly and helpful. Cozumel Insider also continues to offer among the best dive packages on the island. Definitely a good choice for someone looking for an alternative or new experience outside the hotel zone.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 18, 2012

IslaMar is great for a short or long vacation. The Villa was well appointed with everything you need and beautifully decorated. If eating out you need to checkout some of the restaurant suggested in the Welcome Book and only a short walk from IslaMar. Miguel and Zuri took excellent care of us during our 3 month visit. The swimming pool was wonderful and maintained every day; there is an onsite free phone for local calls and Wi-Fi is free. It is walking distance to the waterfront so shopping is a simple walk and an opportunity to see the neighborhoods of Cozumel. The Villa's tropical gardens are full of colors and are well maintained; there was a bonus of 6 resident tortoises, and fireflies at night. If you truly want to enjoy your time in Cozumel make IslaMar your home and create memories that you will remember forever.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Islamar Unit #3 was a great place to call home. The unit was clean and spacious, with Zuri or Miguel ready to help at a moments notice. We spent many mornings on the balcony overlooking the pool. The other units were full, but we still felt like we had the place to ourselves. We all did come together for a BBQ cook-out one night, so it really felt like home. The unit is stocked with enough utensils and pots/pans to cook basic foods. I would love to see some bigger glasses, maybe even some margharita glasses! Very safe and located closely to good restaurants and markets. For the price, we love this place!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bluewaterbaby
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I had a great trip, staying at IslaMar Vacation Villas for one week in mid February, 2012. I stayed in Unit 1 - the studio apartment. Accommodations were very comfortable. The apartment was equipped with pretty much everything I needed for the week. The staff was incredibly helpful and nice. Zuri - the housekeeper - even loaned me money for a cab one day, when the driver would not accept my large bill. One day when I had a problem with the running water in my unit I made a call to the emergency maintenance line and someone came and fixed the issue within a matter of about 5 minutes. Now that's what I call service!
There were things about the place that on first impression I wasn't sure I would like. First of all it is quite far from the water front. But after the first day I found that it was a nice (and safe) walk in the morning to the dive boat, and then after the dives if I was tired, it was a cheap (25-30 pesos) and short cab ride back. The neighborhood noises were another issue. I didn't think I would be able to get used to them, but after a couple mornings, I came to actually enjoy the sounds of the roosters crowing. It's better than any alarm clock I've ever heard! And the gas trucks that drive through the neighborhood, playing their little advertisement song...well lets just say it must have grown on me, cause I caught myself humming that tune in the shower this morning.
There is a nice park, just west of the villas, where I watched a few children's soccer games. The spectators really get into it, even though it's just little kids playing. Sort of reminded me of small town USA highschool football! But more fun to watch, for me anyway.
I bought groceries at the MEGA and made almost all of my own meals at "home" (I was on a tight budget this trip.) The kitchenette was more than adequate for my needs...cooking for one, and all. I did eat two meals out and about. The first (and best) was at a place less than 1 block from IslaMar. It was called Pescadoria San Carlos. Amazing! That's all I can say. I will definitely be back to this restaurant in the future. My second splurge was Sunday brunch at the Museum. My breakfast was just ok. I expected a lot more from the write up in Sherri's book. Speaking of...
One of my favorite things about staying at IslaMar Vacation Villas was this handy book that was in my room when I checked in. It contained all kinds of information about the island and the neighborhood, as well as info about the villas themselves. There was of course info about how to connect to the wifi, phone numbers you might need or want, a very thorough restaurant guide, listed by neighborhood and price and a map.
I never used the pool but it looked very clean and I did see some of the other guests using it pretty much everyday I was there. It was just a bit chilly outside for me...but I'm kind of a weenie.
Overall it was a great stay and I got to see how people really live in San Miguel, which was a nice change from the touristy areas I've stayed in on past trips.
I hope to visit Cozumel and IslaMar Vacation Villas again in the near future.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo