“Good vacation experience”

Ranked #18 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Staten Island, NY
“Good vacation experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Booked thru our travel agent back in August 2012, asked for 2 rooms and wanted them on the same floor. They originally had us in different buildings but for a fee could have the kids moved to the same bldg. Forked over the cash, but When I asked for a receipt returned the $ and they did it for FREE. Great for us. Breakfast were great, lunch average and dinners were very good. To get into the "exclusive" restaurants you had to make a reservation that day beginning at 10 AM, and once the tables were filled (which really weren't many, you were out of luck) and had to go to the buffet. Staff was great though. However, at check in they only had 1 rep and people were on line waiting. This hotel is at the end of the main road and to get anywhere, you need to catch a cab and runs about $8 each way. So bring lots of cash if you expect to venture places alot, and many of the excursion, we had to grab a taxi - not part of the fee. The beach is well kept and there isn't alot of seaweed unlike some of the other hotels near the Melia.

Room Tip: Pick at least the 5th floor for a great ocean view.
2 Thank ilovecomputergames
MeliaCozumel, Quality Control at Melia Cozumel Golf - All Inclusive, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for give us a minutes from your time to share your comments with us, if you come back you can contact me and I will help you to have connecting rooms, also thank you for your positive comments, we feel we did the correct for make you had a great vacation. Best Regards

calidad@melia-cozumel.com.mx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
SAINT-JACQUES
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great beach with lots of sand, great personnel, food was just ok, small resort but also more intimate and quiet. Drinks at the bars were super good. Try the Electric Lemonade or the Dirty Monkey. Margaritas were super good. Clean rooms but there was no fridge in our room. Many nautical sports available on site. Great place to snorkle or to scuba dive. Kids are well entertained. The only downside was that we had to wait 3 hours for our room to be ready at our arrival and so did most of new arrivals. Internet free but only in lobby. Excursion: Lobster lovers should try the Pirate Boat Show, was a blast of fun and very delicious.

Room Tip: All rooms are facing the ocean but lower floors have less of a view. We were on the 3rd floor of un...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank splenda4sweets
Thank you for share your experience with other users from Trip Advisor, I am really glad you enjoy your stay with us, the check in time is at 15:00 hours, but if your room is not ready yet , you can have your bracelet and go to the restaurants, we hope you come back soon and if is this way please let me know. Best Regards.

Waunakee, Wisconsin, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

The beach and pools were VERY Nice.
Bars, 3 Not enough.
Bartenders, THE WORST!!! and only 1 at the swim up beach and pool bar durring peak time.
Food??? Unless you wait for the 1 good resturant??? Plan on getting sick!!!
The people behind the main counter??? worst case scenerio!!!

Room Tip: Choose a room in another Hotel!!!
2 Thank Jim C
Good afternoon thank you for give us a couple of minutes from your time to write your comments, I already talk with Human Resources and the Front Desk Manager about your comment from Front Desk Staff, but if you have more comments or can give me more information about this, I will be very grateful, If you wish you can send me an e-mail, Sincerely.

Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Melia All-Inclusive Resort in Cozumel from March 28-April 2nd. Overall we had a very nice stay at the hotel.

The beach was absolutely gorgeous! The very first day we got there the water was a little brown. I talked to other people had already been at the resort for a few days and they said that it had been raining quite a bit earlier in the week. Therefore I suppose that sediment and algae turns the water brown after heavy rain. That being said the water was an array of beautiful blue, aqua and turquoise color and was very clear for the most part. The sand was very soft and clean. There was a slight amount of seaweed and shells but there was so little that it only added to the beauty of the beach.

The snorkeling was very good at the resort next door at the El Cozumeleno, Which was only a 2-3 minute walk. The reason it was better there is because the resort has a large dock that acts as a barrier to keep the sediment and sand from stirring up the water, keeping it crystal clear. The visibility was between 50 & 80 ft. For those that do not care for snorkeling ( although I suggest you try it at least once), you can see lots of fish right from the dock. My girlfriend and I saw, lots and lots of sargent majors and bermuda chubs, several types of angel fish, several grey stingrays, midnight parrotfish, stoplight parrotfish, juvenile rainbow parrotfish, blue tangs, spotted trunkfish, reef butterflyfish, balloonfish, rock beauties, bluehead wrasse, ocean triggerfish, lobsters, coral crabs, sea stars, and few others that I do not know the names of. There was also several types of coral if you swam a little farther down the coast away from the resort. The most amazing part about seeing all of these fish and marine life was that it was not even a 5 minute walk away from our room. On another note my girlfriend had been too scared to try snorkeling before this trip but the water was so calm and clear that she got in and tried it and got hooked! She wanted to go snorkeling every day after the first time! I was very proud of her. The reason I said this is just to illustrate how good the snorkeling is and how easy it is from this resort!

Now back to the resort... The staff was very friendly and the service was good. There are two bars outside, one at the adult only pool with a swim up section, and one at the other end of the resort right on the beach. The bartenders spoke excellent english and made good drinks. They worked very hard to be quick as possible. My girlfriend likes the girly drinks and I tried most of them and they were very good. The bartenders made good mojitos, margaritas and good bloody marys as well. The only beer they have is XX light. The booze sometimes seemed like it was watered down slightly and other times it seemed full strength. However you can have as many as you like so eventually you can get a buzz if thats what you want. There was also a nice bar in the lobby with a great view of the beach and pool. There is another bar in the main buffet area. I know there is another bar in the resort somewhere but I never did find it. The bars close at 11PM and I believe the pool bar closes earlier at 7PM. There is not that much of a nightlife which was fine with us because there is plenty to do in San Miguel and it is only a 7 dollar taxi into town. Plus we had activities to do early so we were in bed at a reasonable hour every night.

When we first got to the resort at about 4PM we were told that the resort had been overbooked so our paradise suite was not available until the next day, they offered to put us up at the club Melia section which is basically a condo with a kitchenette and a large living area. This room was very nice and also beachfront just like the room we had reserved. The only issue per say is that the room had 2 full size beds instead of a king like our reserved room had. They told us that by early afternoon the next day we would have our actual room ready. This was not a huge issue for us but it was slightly inconvenient to have to pack our stuff back in our bags to move to a different room the next day. The staff did move our bags for us while we were hanging out at the beach the next day so we did not have to do it ourselves. Once we finally got to our room it was very nice with a king size bed. The bathroom was not huge but nice. There were several chairs for sitting and a desk. The patio at the back of the room opened up on both sides with a hot tub and was right on the beach only 40 feet or so to the water. There were 2 chairs and a lounge chair for laying down out there as well. The bed was big but very firm but not uncomfortable with lots of soft pillows. Overall we were very pleased with our room and the convenience of the beach being right outside our door was wonderful. The maids cleaned our room daily and restocked the mini bar which had two of each tecante, sprite, coke, coke light (diet coke as we know in America), and water bottles.

There were lots of stuff to do at the resort such as kayaking, sailing, windsurfing, beach volleyball everyday, shows, dancing lessons, and a live band one night. The staff always tried to make sure everyone had lots of fun. The staff also worked very hard to keep the resort clean and nice. The pools were not very big but were very clean and nice. There were several showers to wash the salt and sand off.

Ok, now for the bad part. The food was very disappointing. Breakfast was diffidently the best of all of the meals. There was a make your own omelette station, as well as fried eggs and crepes. A very large selection of fruit, bread and pastries. No bacon though! Also a large selection of juices and decent coffee. We ate breakfast there every day. The food at the buffet for lunch and dinner was almost inedible. Bland, overcooked, and just in general unappetizing. Fajitas were awful and the fish was dry and bland. Even the tacos were very bad. Even the desserts were bad. We did make reservations to eat at one of the a la carte restaurants, Cafe Parisio. My girlfriend paid extra to have a surf and turf dinner and I had the "grouper". Her steak was so tough it was inedible. The lobster was super dry and bland. The mashed potatoes tasted like instant mashed potatoes. My grouper was not good either. There is no way it was actually grouper the texture was all wrong, tasted like cod or some other cheap fish. Mine was better than hers but still barely edible. The staff was very friendly and the service was good, it is a shame that the food did not match it. This was our second night there and from that point on we ate out every night. We did eat at the snack bar twice and it was no too bad. The wings were pretty good and so was her hamburger, probably the best thing we had to eat at the resort other than breakfast. This was my second All Inclusive and the food was worse than the other one I stayed at years ago. I know most all inclusive resorts do not have great food but I expected it to be better than it was here. There are lots of good restaurants in Cozumel with one our favorites being Kontessa, and the Money Bar.

Overall we were extremely happy with our stay here and would return or recommend to others. The only reasons I am giving them 4 stars instead of 5 is because of the room issue and most importantly the bad food. Even with the room issue I would've given them 5 stars if the food was even slightly better.

Room Tip: Pay the little extra for the Paradise Suite the convenience of having the beach right outside your d...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Jeremy H
Thank for share your experience with othe users from Trip Advisor, I am going to congrats to all the personal for your comments, and pass your comments abour the food to our Food and Beverage Manager. If you have more comments please contact me. Best Regards.

Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

1. The food was poor, 8 of 11 people in our group got sick.
2. The beds are poor
3. The pool bar and working staff are great, beach is fine, the water is murky
4. The managment team is horrible, they basicly stole money from me and tried to switch the offer I had. Was not worth the effort to try and fix
5. Golf course is OK, take lots of extra balls, very tight course with slopes toward the jungle, course staff excellent
6. The smell of sewer is all over the resort
7. I would not stay here again and would recomend staying somewhere else

1 Thank KevinE-wisconsin
Good afternoon, thank you for give us a minutes from your time to share your comments, I am really sorry you doesnpt enjoy your stay with us, I would have loved can serve you personally to change the image of the hotel you take with you, if you have more comments please dont doubt in contact me. Sincerely

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

There was always something to do thanks to the amazing activities staff! They were always willing to set up a game of beach volleyball (no matter how hot, or how windy it was out), dance lessons, water aerobics, or set you up with the equipment to play pool, ping pong or tennis. They had all kinds of activities for kids and adults to keep everyone active and having a great time. Muchos gracias Melia activities staff! We had a great time in the sun and the wind. :) Never a dull moment!

Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Just returned home from a family vacation to Melia Cozumel. We were 2 adults and a 16 yr old teenage son. We stayed in tower room 404 and were very pleasantly surprised at the great views of the Caribbean Sea and beach from our room and balcony. We checked in on 3/23- thru 3/30. Must say we enjoyed our stay even though we had a few overcast rainy days.

Make sure you check in at the correct place: Club Melia at their office (on left side before front desk) and Hotel Guests at the front desk, or you may have to wait longer. Also, there are no laundry facilities on location, but you can have laundry sent out.

We rented a car from Saturday- Wed. and drove around the island to see how others beaches were and spent some time visiting the plaza in town. Melia is too far from town to leisurely walk to,and taxis are expensive. Beaches we visited: 1. stopped just south of Punta Morena on frontage road east side (no swimming,but great vistas and tide pool exploring) 2. Paradise Beach km 14.5 on West side south of town(very clean pool and swimmable beach, great food, and service) ,3. Playa Corona km 8.5 north of Paradise (no sand, but great snorkling and great red snapper at restaurant - Miguel was a great waiter and attended to us),4. Bucano's Beach Restaurant - 2 minute cab ride south from Melia( we went on our departure day for lunch and were regretting that we couldn't get dinner reservations here. We would definitely visit Bucanos again- Food and location on waterfront is fabulous. 5. Melia's beachfront swimming wasn't good due to murky water from the seaweed, but just walk south to pier by neighboring Hotel Cozumeleno and the water on other side of pier is crystal clear and lots of fish ( you don't even have to snorkel since water is so clear, just walk down the pier. You can also walk north on the beach and see some interesting beach homes and we even saw kite surfers.

Restaurants we enjoyed because we weren't part of all inclusive: 1. Guidos (we went twice and service was slower later in the evening, food was good except for soupy lasagna),2. Coconuts (east side of island- food and atmosphere was good- 3. La Palmera (center of town by pier, great service and good Dorado fish tacos) 4. La Isla restaurant at the Melia (we ate here last night and paid usd $25.00 per person to enjoy the good buffet and drinks- just watch the outdoor seating because of the biting bugs that ate up our legs that night).

Room Tip: We had great views from room 404 in the tower. It felt like being on a cruise ship. We also watche...
2 Thank havefuninthesun