“M Experience the way to go!!!”

Melia Cozumel Golf - All Inclusive
Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We just stayed at Melia March 9-16 2013. There was three of us travelling so I had booked two M Experience rooms. What a great choice. From the time we checked in until the time we checked out the staff could not do enough, and made our stay amazing. When you check in with M Experience you are given a black wrist band. I swear when the staff see you have that, they go over the top. Just a quick example. My brother-inlaw and I were coming back from town one night with a pretty good charge and were starving. Its 10:45 and buffett closes at 11:00. So we go waltzing in, nobody is in there. Normally the staff would say oh senior its closing. Not these guys. They couldnt do enough. We had three guys waiting our table. As soon as one of us put down an empty glass of cerveza it was replaced with a new one. The chef made us fresh food on the grill. I kept saying we gotta go and let you guys close, they wouldnt hear of it. I have no idea when we finally got out of there. The M Experience rooms are located on the 10th and 11th floors in the tower. The 12th floor is just regular rooms for timeshare people and the stairs to the (13th) 14th floor are actually just bedrooms. The view is amazing from the 11th floor. The beds were comfortable and the upscale amenities were excellent. Another nice touch is having your own coffee maker in the morning. Also having cold beer in your fridge when you arrive is appreciated by a thirsty traveller. The beach is great. The WIFI sucks. The pools are freezing. I was in contact with Vanessa before we arrived and arranged some special requests as well as booked our specialty restaurant reservations. She was over the top. Not only accomodated our requests but went beyond. She was on vacation when we arrived so she had Erika at the front desk do everything for us. She was just awesome. We ate at Paraiso two nights and Iguana once. We did not care for Iguana. Paraiso was great. The menu,atmoshere, and staff were again awesome.We ended up eating at the buffett two nights.It was totally good. None of us had any stomach issues the whole week. Just thought I would add that in. It is a quiet resort. So if you are looking for party,party and loud booming music its not here. Most nights we buzzed into town and caught a band and had drinks. Its so cheap. We would stay here again in a heartbeat. See you next year. I think were bringing more people with us.

Room Tip: M Experience in the tower
4  Thank Beachbuoy66

Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband, myself and Another couple stayed the week of march 2-9. It's not what you want to see when u first walk in....but, give it an hour or 2 and I think you'll grow to love it. I did! When everyone says the staff is friendly.....they really are. The only time I had an issue with the buffet was the Friday night. It is a Chinese theme. I had a huge salad and desert...lol. At the buffet, I never had to wait for my empty plate to be picked up or have to ask for coffee. The staff was right on top of it. They always were :). You have to ask for a Spanish coffee or ice cream. I really enjoyed the fact that they had different dinners every night. I am a pretty picky person and I gained 5 pounds on my trip....so take it from there...lol. We had a paradise suite beachfront. We really did enjoy the room. It's actually the same as all the other rooms on the resort except you pay a price for your view and the convenience of oceanfront. I had to wake up at 5:30 am to get good chairs on the beach. The beach was beautiful! We took a tour of the whole island and I find a lot of the shores are rock. The melia has a great beach compared to everyone else's. a lot of the other hotels look like man made beaches. We took the Polaris excursion! It's a must! What a great bang for your buck and its an all day tour! The thing I loved the most.....not one bug was around! Sure....there were a couple of iguanas, baby lizards, pelicans, birds.....even a stray dog.....but, not one bug! The place was clean and when I say clean....i mean clean. Fabulous service, hard workers and enjoyed every minute. Kudos to Enrique at the pool bar for keeping up with our tequila shots with the Idaho boys!!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Great beach location,very friendly and helpful staff. Food at buffet average however good at the two specialty restaurants, ocean front rooms nice. They are constantly cleaning and keep the resort very clean. Would definitely return to this resort.

Room Tip: Ocean room front absolutely worth it
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We visited from March 9-16th and had our wedding on the beach. It was beautiful and compared to some of the other Melia resorts we visited - the service here was superior. We are timeshare and that brings some advantages from a service standpoint. The beach is the best on that side of the island. It is an older resort but found the people and the service to be very good.

Room Tip: Try to get Beach side
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Our stay was from March 6-10. First, the hotel is extremely easy to get to from the airport which made a long day of travel a lot easier to deal with. Upon arrival, we were told that Expedia overbooked and we would have to be downgraded. This was the only glitch of our stay at Melia. The check-in person was not even apologetic and in cases like this, an overbooking should result in an upgrade, not a downgrade. Every time we would ask for a manager, he was always "out." The issue still isn't resolved as we have yet receive a refund and Expedia says they won't issue a refund until they speak to management which is seemingly impossible.

On to the positives: the beach was nice and not too crowded but there were never enough chairs on the beach for everyone but the employees are nice enough to bring some down from the pool. Staff was polite and accommodating and much nicer than other all inclusives we had stayed at previously. Drinks were fine but we felt bad for the lobby bar attendant as he had no help every night for A crowded bar. He did great though for such busy nights. The food was good and always seemed fresh. Two restaurants need reservations to be made every morning so get there early to stand in line to ensure a spot.

We rented a jeep easily from the hotel. All of the check engines light were illuminated which made us extremely nervous but we made it back to the hotel without a glitch. The pool areas were kept clean and the entertainment was decent.

All in all, we would go back but only if our room issue gets resolved. Melia is a great hotel for couples looking to relax as it wasn't overly loud or full of young spring breakers yet.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We just finished an awesome week (Mar. 4-12) at the Melia Cozumel. On first impressions - very nice. Nicely landscaped, clean. When we got to our room (331 in Building C) - very clean. Yes, the furniture is maybe a bit dated, but the bathroom was spotless and the bed comfy. Does it matter after that that the loveseat or coffee table are 20 plus years old????...not to us it did. The food served in the buffet was actually pretty good. Always a variety of various chicken, pork, beef and seafood each night. We did not go hungry - including my wife whose a very picky eater. We tried both a la cartes on site (Cafe Paraiso and La Iguana) - Cafe Paraiso wins hands down - a nice setting/environment and better food!!!!!!!!!!!!......perhaps if they turned up the lighting in La Iguana so people could actually see what they are eating...might help. This place has an awesome beach on site!!! Very spacious for all guests. Perhaps a few more lounge chairs on the beach so people don't have to borrow from the pool area???....but no matter...there was always a helpful grounds person around to help move a couple if you couldn't do it yourself. This beach blows away by a mile what the neighboring El Cozumelino has - a small man-made beach, people very close together. We did read some complaints about the beach water clarity issue. Yes, perhaps having that old pier at the el Cozumelino doesn't help (prevents some beach current from moving properly), but it does provide an excellent area to snorkel by keeping the water crystal clean in that area. But, perhaps the bigger issue is the way the wind blows and the current of the water - it seems maybe once a day there is a large brown mass of dead sea grass leaves (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that seems to form and blow down from the north - but anything washed up on shore is cleaned up daily by staff....for the most part, the water is clear...no worries to some of the nay sayers out there. And, if you do have to wade through it...it's maybe 15-20 feet before you are back in clear water...the wait staff - the beachside and pool side bartenders are great!!!!!!!!!!!!....they never get frazzled with the amount of people often waiting for drinks...the buffet wait staff - always there to clean plates away or refill glasses - very good service overall from these guys/gals. Overall, this is a solid 4 star resort, but the biggest question I would ask - "Would I go back again???"..........YES.....in a heartbeat. Perhaps the biggest plus for this resort - it's a quiet resort. There are always activities to do for most ages if you wish, or just lay at the beach. Not a lot of nightlife - one small bar in the main lobby building....but it's a $7 cab ride to town if you want that night life...no big deal.

Room Tip: We took what was assigned - over looked the pool. I suppose if you wanted to overlook the beach you...
1  Thank Tony K
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed at the Melia from March 8 to March 15. We traveled with our 13 yo daughter. I want to preface this review with the fact that overall it was the worst weather we have ever had in Mexico(not the norm there) and caused some things to be altered.It was our first trip to Cozumel and we would go back. It was very easy at the airport and tranfer to the hotel(less than 10 minutes away). After exiting the airport road, it was a right turn to our hotel(north end along the coast). A left and you would be downtown in one mile. The downtown is very easy to navigate for shopping.

Since I am always trying to visualize the layouts of resorts when looking at pictures, I wanted to try to do that here.

MELIA RESORT LAYOUT

Building A is the tower at the south end. Floors 1-6 are owners suites. Floors 7-12 are the junior suites and M experience rooms. All directly face the ocean and the adult pool is right beside this building. This is also where the swim up bar is. We were in a junior suite on the 8th floor and were very happy with our room. The lobby area/bar is right next to this building.

Building B faces the ocean at the north end of the property. It is three stories high and most of the rooms that have a jacuzzi on their patio are here. The beach is steps away. It is also very close to the Spa, the beach grill/bar and the buffet restaurant. The family pool and activity area is right behind the beach grill/buffet restaurant in the garden area.

Biulding C is where the garden view rooms are. I believe it is four stories high. They face the family pool and there is only a slight opening looking to the ocean because the restaurants and building B are in front of you.

OCEAN/BEACH/POOLS/SPA/GROUNDS

Ocean/Beach- Spent a lot of time looking at the ocean, but, not much time in it. I think the water was warmer than the pools. After the storm on Tuesday, the waves were crashing pretty bad and the sand caused a murky look for 20 yards out or so. From the room though, the water was pretty cool looking with the different shades. The beach was great for walking with the soft sand.

Pools- The pools are both nice enough and we hung out at the adult pool by our building. A couple notes....many poeple seem to lay out on the beach and in some cases take the chairs from the pool early in the morning. One day there were seven chairs available at the pool when we got back in the afternoon from an excursion. Also, most of the chairs at the pool will not lay all the way back. get your towels out fairly early and have something else on it(one day a staff member picked up a couple towels on chairs by themselves).

Spa- I only used the workout room. The treadmills were ok(no elliptical) and there were lots of free weights. Also, there was a weight station machine that was not in very good shape.

Grounds- The grounds were well kept. My daughter and I went on a little adventure over by the family pool and building B and found the four iguana's on the property.

RESTAURANTS/BARS-

La Isla- The buffet restaurant with hours of 7-11, 12:30-4, 6-11(but done by 9). The food was ok most times and pretty good a few times. Usually they are cooking something at the grill fresh and in some cases you can customize it. The ice cream is not out, but, ask for it and it is very good! They don't publicize this, but, apparently there are dinner themes. It was kinda wierd that Asain was our first night on Friday and again on Tuesday? The waiters will get you drinks from the drink station too(also, you can go there for drinks if the other bars are busy).
La Iguana Snack Bar- 11-6(done by 5 most days). it is right beside the buffet. You can walk in, grab a plate and make your own salad and sandwich, and get fries, chicken nuggets, and hot dogs. Or, sit down and order from a menu...nachos, quesadillas, cheeseburger, beef burrito, etc..
This place turns into the steakhouse in the evening(La Iguana Grill). We had the T bone and it was a little fatty, but, pretty good.
Cafe Paraiso- The nicest one and supposed to wear long pants and a collar shirt for the guys(there were a couple guys with nice dress shorts too). Had the filet and was ok. The first two courses were reall good.

BARS-

Adult Pool Bar- 10ish-6ish. Where we hung out most of the time. Can swim up to it or come up from the beach on the back side to order(no stools or chairs though).
La Isla- Buffet restaurant, can get a drink during serving hours
Beach bar- By building B and the steak house. We would stop by there some evenings after dinner. Was a nice set up with the beach and water close by.
Lobby Bar- 5:30-midnight

NIGHTLY SHOWS- The schedule got messed up because they had to move the steakhouse night to the entertainment room for two days. No big deal to us. They did improvise and set things up in the lobby and by the pool areas when needed.

STAFF

This is where I was really impressed. First, our housekeeper for most of the days was fantastic. I did tip her well the first few days, but, we had plenty of extra water in our room every day. Also, it didn't hit us until mid week, but, I believe she changed the sheets every day(no sand in the bed for us).
Second, the service staff works long hours and they work hard. I have nothing but great things to say about them. I hope this comes out right.....sometimes they are understaffed and they just can't get everywhere for what the crowd is in an area. Ex: During the storm Tuesday, the outdoor bars had to be closed. They opened up the lobby bar, but, had one person there all day with tons of people in and out. They don't have someone busing the beach and pool areas bringing back cups to the bars. The bartender has to leave to do that and go get supplies when he needs too. One day they were running out of cups in the middle of the afternoon. I felt bad for the guy behind the bar.I learned long ago to bring our own nice, 12-14oz plastic cups with us.

I believe the service staff gets moved around to different stations every couple weeks so, you may have a different person at your favorite place mid way thru your stay.
I would like to single out a few people that I had good personal experiences with and I tried to show my appreciation by telling them I appreciated their good service and also by tipping them for their good work.

Enrique- Bartender at the adult pool bar our first few days and saw him at the beach bar too.
Andres- Bartender at the adult pool bar my last few days.
Antonio- Bartender at the buffet restaurant where all the waiters grab drinks for diners.
Thanks to you guys for allowing me my little changes in how I like a Margarita.
Albierto- Waiter in the buffet restaurant. He took very good care of us.

Thank you to you and most everyone else I have not named here for the great service you provided, especially considering you should have more help at times!

Adios!

Room Tip: Building A Tower, 7th floor or higher Junior Suites or Building B Ocean view ones with the jacuzzi o...
2  Thank Goingonarumrun