“Nice place”

Ranked #18 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Ancaster, Canada
“Nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

We just finished an awesome week (Mar. 4-12) at the Melia Cozumel. On first impressions - very nice. Nicely landscaped, clean. When we got to our room (331 in Building C) - very clean. Yes, the furniture is maybe a bit dated, but the bathroom was spotless and the bed comfy. Does it matter after that that the loveseat or coffee table are 20 plus years old????...not to us it did. The food served in the buffet was actually pretty good. Always a variety of various chicken, pork, beef and seafood each night. We did not go hungry - including my wife whose a very picky eater. We tried both a la cartes on site (Cafe Paraiso and La Iguana) - Cafe Paraiso wins hands down - a nice setting/environment and better food!!!!!!!!!!!!......perhaps if they turned up the lighting in La Iguana so people could actually see what they are eating...might help. This place has an awesome beach on site!!! Very spacious for all guests. Perhaps a few more lounge chairs on the beach so people don't have to borrow from the pool area???....but no matter...there was always a helpful grounds person around to help move a couple if you couldn't do it yourself. This beach blows away by a mile what the neighboring El Cozumelino has - a small man-made beach, people very close together. We did read some complaints about the beach water clarity issue. Yes, perhaps having that old pier at the el Cozumelino doesn't help (prevents some beach current from moving properly), but it does provide an excellent area to snorkel by keeping the water crystal clean in that area. But, perhaps the bigger issue is the way the wind blows and the current of the water - it seems maybe once a day there is a large brown mass of dead sea grass leaves (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that seems to form and blow down from the north - but anything washed up on shore is cleaned up daily by staff....for the most part, the water is clear...no worries to some of the nay sayers out there. And, if you do have to wade through it...it's maybe 15-20 feet before you are back in clear water...the wait staff - the beachside and pool side bartenders are great!!!!!!!!!!!!....they never get frazzled with the amount of people often waiting for drinks...the buffet wait staff - always there to clean plates away or refill glasses - very good service overall from these guys/gals. Overall, this is a solid 4 star resort, but the biggest question I would ask - "Would I go back again???"..........YES.....in a heartbeat. Perhaps the biggest plus for this resort - it's a quiet resort. There are always activities to do for most ages if you wish, or just lay at the beach. Not a lot of nightlife - one small bar in the main lobby building....but it's a $7 cab ride to town if you want that night life...no big deal.

Room Tip: We took what was assigned - over looked the pool. I suppose if you wanted to overlook the beach you...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tony K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
Twin Cities, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed at the Melia from March 8 to March 15. We traveled with our 13 yo daughter. I want to preface this review with the fact that overall it was the worst weather we have ever had in Mexico(not the norm there) and caused some things to be altered.It was our first trip to Cozumel and we would go back. It was very easy at the airport and tranfer to the hotel(less than 10 minutes away). After exiting the airport road, it was a right turn to our hotel(north end along the coast). A left and you would be downtown in one mile. The downtown is very easy to navigate for shopping.

Since I am always trying to visualize the layouts of resorts when looking at pictures, I wanted to try to do that here.

MELIA RESORT LAYOUT

Building A is the tower at the south end. Floors 1-6 are owners suites. Floors 7-12 are the junior suites and M experience rooms. All directly face the ocean and the adult pool is right beside this building. This is also where the swim up bar is. We were in a junior suite on the 8th floor and were very happy with our room. The lobby area/bar is right next to this building.

Building B faces the ocean at the north end of the property. It is three stories high and most of the rooms that have a jacuzzi on their patio are here. The beach is steps away. It is also very close to the Spa, the beach grill/bar and the buffet restaurant. The family pool and activity area is right behind the beach grill/buffet restaurant in the garden area.

Biulding C is where the garden view rooms are. I believe it is four stories high. They face the family pool and there is only a slight opening looking to the ocean because the restaurants and building B are in front of you.

OCEAN/BEACH/POOLS/SPA/GROUNDS

Ocean/Beach- Spent a lot of time looking at the ocean, but, not much time in it. I think the water was warmer than the pools. After the storm on Tuesday, the waves were crashing pretty bad and the sand caused a murky look for 20 yards out or so. From the room though, the water was pretty cool looking with the different shades. The beach was great for walking with the soft sand.

Pools- The pools are both nice enough and we hung out at the adult pool by our building. A couple notes....many poeple seem to lay out on the beach and in some cases take the chairs from the pool early in the morning. One day there were seven chairs available at the pool when we got back in the afternoon from an excursion. Also, most of the chairs at the pool will not lay all the way back. get your towels out fairly early and have something else on it(one day a staff member picked up a couple towels on chairs by themselves).

Spa- I only used the workout room. The treadmills were ok(no elliptical) and there were lots of free weights. Also, there was a weight station machine that was not in very good shape.

Grounds- The grounds were well kept. My daughter and I went on a little adventure over by the family pool and building B and found the four iguana's on the property.

RESTAURANTS/BARS-

La Isla- The buffet restaurant with hours of 7-11, 12:30-4, 6-11(but done by 9). The food was ok most times and pretty good a few times. Usually they are cooking something at the grill fresh and in some cases you can customize it. The ice cream is not out, but, ask for it and it is very good! They don't publicize this, but, apparently there are dinner themes. It was kinda wierd that Asain was our first night on Friday and again on Tuesday? The waiters will get you drinks from the drink station too(also, you can go there for drinks if the other bars are busy).
La Iguana Snack Bar- 11-6(done by 5 most days). it is right beside the buffet. You can walk in, grab a plate and make your own salad and sandwich, and get fries, chicken nuggets, and hot dogs. Or, sit down and order from a menu...nachos, quesadillas, cheeseburger, beef burrito, etc..
This place turns into the steakhouse in the evening(La Iguana Grill). We had the T bone and it was a little fatty, but, pretty good.
Cafe Paraiso- The nicest one and supposed to wear long pants and a collar shirt for the guys(there were a couple guys with nice dress shorts too). Had the filet and was ok. The first two courses were reall good.

BARS-

Adult Pool Bar- 10ish-6ish. Where we hung out most of the time. Can swim up to it or come up from the beach on the back side to order(no stools or chairs though).
La Isla- Buffet restaurant, can get a drink during serving hours
Beach bar- By building B and the steak house. We would stop by there some evenings after dinner. Was a nice set up with the beach and water close by.
Lobby Bar- 5:30-midnight

NIGHTLY SHOWS- The schedule got messed up because they had to move the steakhouse night to the entertainment room for two days. No big deal to us. They did improvise and set things up in the lobby and by the pool areas when needed.

STAFF

This is where I was really impressed. First, our housekeeper for most of the days was fantastic. I did tip her well the first few days, but, we had plenty of extra water in our room every day. Also, it didn't hit us until mid week, but, I believe she changed the sheets every day(no sand in the bed for us).
Second, the service staff works long hours and they work hard. I have nothing but great things to say about them. I hope this comes out right.....sometimes they are understaffed and they just can't get everywhere for what the crowd is in an area. Ex: During the storm Tuesday, the outdoor bars had to be closed. They opened up the lobby bar, but, had one person there all day with tons of people in and out. They don't have someone busing the beach and pool areas bringing back cups to the bars. The bartender has to leave to do that and go get supplies when he needs too. One day they were running out of cups in the middle of the afternoon. I felt bad for the guy behind the bar.I learned long ago to bring our own nice, 12-14oz plastic cups with us.

I believe the service staff gets moved around to different stations every couple weeks so, you may have a different person at your favorite place mid way thru your stay.
I would like to single out a few people that I had good personal experiences with and I tried to show my appreciation by telling them I appreciated their good service and also by tipping them for their good work.

Enrique- Bartender at the adult pool bar our first few days and saw him at the beach bar too.
Andres- Bartender at the adult pool bar my last few days.
Antonio- Bartender at the buffet restaurant where all the waiters grab drinks for diners.
Thanks to you guys for allowing me my little changes in how I like a Margarita.
Albierto- Waiter in the buffet restaurant. He took very good care of us.

Thank you to you and most everyone else I have not named here for the great service you provided, especially considering you should have more help at times!

Adios!

Room Tip: Building A Tower, 7th floor or higher Junior Suites or Building B Ocean view ones with the jacuzzi o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Goingonarumrun
St. Louis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

First of all, we are frequent visitors of Cozumel. We stayed at the Melia because, due to our last minute decision to go, we were unable to stay at Playa Azul, where we usually stay, as they were full.
We had seen the beach at the Melia on a walk on a previous visit and thought it looked nice and since they also advertised "All inclusive golf" we thought we would try it. Bad decision! The beach is very nice....but that may be the only thing nice about the whole place!
The first disappointment came as we entered our assigned room....which we were also told was a "honeymoon suite" ....it smelled so musty I felt like we might get Legionaire's disease in the first 10 minutes! They were unable to move us for a day so we spent the night with the AC off and the doors open since the warm humid air was at least fresh air as opposed to the dank stinky air blowing out of the mildewy vents. The room we were eventually moved to was only marginally better...possibly because it was in the same building and the whole AC system is stinky in that building.
The next disappointment came when my husband attempted to make a tee time for golf and was told that it would cost $160....he pointed out that their website advertised "All Inclusive Golf Hotel", to which they replied that the hotel was all inclusive and that it offered golf to its guests at a reduced fee.....after considerable discussion as to the misleading nature of the advertising of their hotel, my husband was offerd golf at a reduced fee of $90.
Next comes the whole dining experience......seriously??? You have to wait in line mid-morning (when you might want to be doing another activity) so that you can sign up for your special dining experience......and order your food for that evening! That resulting in a meal that was mediocre at best! We chose to eat the rest of our evening meals at restaurants in town after one additional meal at the evening buffet (for those not having their "special" restaurant meal ). The breakfasts were ok......lunch mostly salad bar fare.
As other reviewers have mentioned...there is little or no nightlife.
As I mentioned...the beach is nice....but set your alarm for about 6am if you expect to get a lounge! People were actually out in their robes and pjs trying to put towels on lounges as soon as the sun came up!
The work out facility was actually one of the better features of the property...clean and nicely equipped. The hotel bikes were nearly unridable....rusty and old! The pools were clean and fairly nice.
The management staff was less than friendly, as soon as we complained about our smelly room and the golf situation. The wait staff was generally friendly.
I was actually not going to review this hotel and just chalk it up to experience,but after visiting Cozumel again this year and staying at another property which was free of all the negative things we encountered at the Melia, I felt compelled to review it if only to save another traveler from wasting precious vacation time and resources on a very poor hotel/resort. It doesn't have to be this way....there are many good choices on the lovely island of Cozumel.
All in all I would not waste my money at this hotel...there are other hotels in Cozumel which are similar in price and much nicer!

Room Tip: It appears that people who stayed in the "towers" seemed to like their room. We were in th...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank frankietrav
Benson, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Plan to go to town if you want great food and service. Older hotel, clean but poorly run. Short staffed, and unhappy staff. Only one bartender per bar 95% of the time, and unhappy bartenders. Dont expect anyone to bring you a drink, and expect to wait for a drink at the bar. Food only marginal. Pool to cold to swim in, no one was ever in it the 10 days we were there. No night life, and only one bar open in the evening, and with one bartender. Golf was good. Bottom line choose another hotel.

2 Thank shellyranfinson
kingston ont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed at the resort from Feb 27 till Mar. 13. We had originally booked on line through travelocity (which we don't recommend) just a regular delux room. When we got to the resort we asked if there was availability for an upgrade... there was and we upgraded to a Ocean front with a Hot tub For an extra $442 on my credit card....Much cheaper than booking it with our trip. The room was great. We open our patio door and we are on our patio with hot tub step off and your 10 steps to the beach. easy to save a beach lounge in the morning, use of our own bathroom , and near by the beach bar. We had a great view of all the beach activities and of the many large cruies ships passing by. Out the front door were the beautiful grounds with birds and lots of Iguanas ( look for the large gold one ) usually by the two raised beds by the pool.
The buffet food was good but nothing real special, I would have like to have Boiled eggs available for breakfast, and bacon instead of cut up hot dogs. The rest of the meals were varied and you could always find something good. The a la cartes were better and never seemed full, You would have to line up daily at 10 to book and often the time you wanted was not available, However if you show up when you wanted they will always find room.
Overall our stay was great, we had some sh--y weather Cool, wet and windy, but survived when the heat and sun came back. The staff were great, our maid was excellent, our fridge was filled with water, coke sprite and beer when ever it became low.
Across from our resort is the golf course. A buddy and I took a walk to the club house. There we saw a couple of large Crocodilles, a Bright green iguana, lots of birds a a few wild pigs and a couple of cerveza.

Room Tip: Loved oceanfront with hot tub
Cheyenne, Wyoming
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

We were pretty disappointed with the Melia overall! This was our honeymoon trip and we used our wedding money to pay for it! The top reason we picked the Melia was because of the golf so that my husband could play gold while we were there. We went through a travel agent & Apple to book our trip, we wanted to make sure of 2 things...the honeymoon package (a basket of fruit & a bottle of champaign...not a big deal) and golf. We were assured multiple times that these things were taken care of on both ends.
When we arrived, the front desk girls were extremely rude. When we asked about our honeymoon goodies, we were told that unless we brought our marriage license they couldn't give us anything! When we asked about a tee time for gold, we were told that our travel agent should have set that up before hand so we were out of luck. We hadn't even been in Cozumel for an hour and we were already disappointed! We never received any apologies or anything!
They had construction going on and we were even pelted by falling rocks in and around the pool, not a fun experience.
On a positive note, the food was fantastic (other than how they had 2 of the 3 restaurants set up for dinner reservations and you had to stand in line that morning to make a reservation and order your food then). Andre, at the swim-up bar was amazing and we couldn't have asked for better service! The rooms were very nice and clean along with the hotel itself.
We will definately return to Cozumel, but we won't be staying at the Melia!

1 Thank Chris M
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I are 27 and this was our second all inclusive hotel that we've stayed at and this was our experience:
We were in building A (the tower) which is all ocean view and BEAUTIFUL. Marble floor, balcony, nice bathroom. Room service would not fill our mini fridge even when we asked.
The beach in front was perfect white sand and the water in front was all sandy bottom. If you want beach chairs you should try and get them before 7am (yep that's right they book up early) The pink hotel to the left has the best snorkeling. We saw the best fish, stingrays and barracuda there. We snorkeled all around the island and still it was the best place to go.

The food: Pretty bland in my opinion. the buffet was kind of small. We only did the one restaurant called Cafa Pairiso and it was amazing!! Fillet Mignon was not up to The Us's standards but still good.
Sometimes you had to wait a while for service at the bar or at the buffett but was not the waiters fault. They are virtually running to help everyone. Overworked and understaffed.
The Booze: Amazing. Not just cheep rum they had everything. Nothing watered down. As much wine as you could drink.

We rented bikes from the hotel $5 per bike. They were the worst POS bikes ever but the ride to town was fun (16 miles round trip to town)

Rent a jeep for the day. Best $60 ever spent and you get it for 24 hours.

Age: We felt like the only people under 40. Average age seemed like 60's.
Nightlife: None! There is nothing to do after dinner. If you want to party this is not the one for you.

Room Tip: Building A any room but the higher rooms might have a better view. We stayed on 12. If building B do...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple