“Great all inclusive for the money”

Melia Cozumel Golf - All Inclusive
Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My boyfriend and I went to Melia Oct 18th-Oct 22nd. We got a great deal on our flight and all inclusive through travelocity. After reading some of the reviews I was a bit nervous. But if you arent expecting a 5 star hotel and have normal expectations then you will love this hotel. Pros: All the staff were extremely helpful (front desk, waiters, maids, bartenders) we did leave a tip after every meal, every morning for the maid and while drinking. Even though its all inclusive its still respectful to leave a tip, if you can afford a vacation to Cozumel, you can shell out a few bucks during meals, ect. They have free snorkling everyday for an hour. Food was pretty good everyday, there were some days that were a miss and didn't have any options I like, but I ate Fresh Guacamole and fruit everyday (which isnt really a problem!) but there always seem to be plent of options. Breakfast is typical American breakfast (Omlette bar, fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, potatotes,bacon) with other added options. Dinner was good, a few nights I had fresh salmon and chicken or steak. Also, I am not a super picky eater, if you are then you probably will not enjoy the food. Pool bar is a lot of fun to meet some new people and Enrique the bartender is great! the layout of the hotel is nice and big and the hotel has a pretty long stretch of white sand beach to walk along. Cons: The beach is not the crystal clear beaches youd expect. There is TONS of seaweed, granted the hotel cannot control this they do a good job of raking up most of the seaweed every monring. But if you want a crystal clear beach to just walk on to, dont stay here. Like other reviews if you walk 500 feet past the pier you can snorkle there. We saw tons of fish there and had a good time. Also the reviews were right the beds are rock hard as well as the pillows. We had the ocean view room which had an amazing view, and a week on a hard bed wont kill ya. Every morning we had a clean room and our waters and soaps were re-stocked every morning. Overall I would reccomend this hotel! We spent half the time at the hotel and the other half exploring the island. If you plan on staying at the hotel the whole time i would reccomened a different one with more activity options. But if you plan on exploring like we did, and staying at the hotel the other half of the time, its great.

Room Tip: We got upgraded to the Ocean front room, which had a great view and the air conditionng was on and s...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank cassie f
Write a ReviewReviews (3,079)

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I've recently attended a small conference at the Melia Cozumel. I'm not a beach person, so if not for the conference, I wouldn't have gone. I can say that the experience was excellent, room, view, service, friendliness of the staff - it was a great venue for a conference. Drinks in the evening were great; I've rated the food average because I thought it was probably a bit too much adjusted towards western tourism tastes; yet, I didn't feel the need to go foraging elsewhere. I really liked the overall ambiance, weather turned out to be great in mid- October. I stayed two more days after the meeting, and would like to say an extra thanks to the dive shop. I went snorkeling, and scuba diving for the first time, and I really appreciated the patience and encouragement of Ximena, my dive instructor. I wouldn't hesitate to go back for a real vacation.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank JustDrive2013
Reviewed October 27, 2012

So I will just say the first thing we saw was the beach and that is where the disappointment began. The water was dirty and muddy looking, not at all inviting for swimming. The food was, I can not sugar coat this, awful. Your only option was the buffet or the snack bar. We spent over 300.00 eating out because we could not stand to eat at the resort after day one. I do not know how they can advertise all these activities and restaurants, and then when you go none of these options are available. The bed was hard, but that I can over look had the first few things been awesome. We had to go to the resort next door to snorkel, they had gorgeous water because they built a concrete wall to keep out the water that was in front of our resort. "Stocked" mini fridge in room means 2 beers a day. If you want more than that they are more than happy to give it to you at $3 a beer. The bartenders were friendly. Enrique, Felipe, the doormen, Yessica, and America were all helpful and friendly. We did find some good off resort restaurants such as casa mission, la perlita, and the lobster house across the street from the resort.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank kthiele
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We traveled off season and purchased hurricane insurance but no need. The weather was great. We were upgraded to a room with a jacuzzi since it was our anniversary, perfecto! The four poster bed, deck and views were fabulous. We stayed on the adult pool side vs by the kid pool which I recommend if it is two adults. The staff was super friendly and nice, assisting us in booking a scooter to ride around the island, a snorkel trip, and recommending Primas Restaurant for our anniversary dinner, which was the best crab I have ever eaten! Great pool and white sandy beach. We worked out every day and treated ourselves to a couples massage in the small but peaceful spa. It was the perfect getaway and we felt very safe.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sondra J
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We had a small scientific conference (~ 50 people) there in the beginning of October. This is a great place to conduct a conference. The staff a the hotel and the restaurant was very helpful, very active and friendly, but at the same time essentially invisible and not intrusive. The food in this all-inclusive was very decent, and you could find all kinds of food to your tasting - meat, fish, dairy products, salads, fruit and vegetable, all fresh and tasty. Violeta Sanchez, Director of Sales, did a great job helping with the organization of the conference (as far as i could tell, as a participant). The room was very clean, convenient, great sea view, a balcony, air conditioner was powerful and quiet. The beach is very good although the water with fish etc was better just 50 yards to the left - at the next hotel - and i swam only there before breackfast - great experience swimming and watching all sorts of tropical fish. It is easy to get to local snorkeling places and to town for great shopping etc. People are very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with ocean view, not the garden
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank VicNewton
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Having read some so-so reviews I was reluctant to try the Melia but a deal too good to pass came up so had to give it a shot. Four of us were guests from the 5th - 10th October. Check in was smooth with the front desk very friendly, changed money a couple times and still a friendly staff. Very convenient to be able to do that at hotel. Good FREE internet, best in lobby but some places, room and outdoors picked up too. Breakfasts were great, every day. We had lunch at the Iguana Snack bar about every day, very good, better than one meal we had in town even. Drinks were very good, a little tip goes a long way but not necessary for good drinks and service. Yup the beds are firm, pillows left much to be desired, we were on an end room and AC wasn't the best or the worse and the best snorkeling required a 70 yard walk, the shows somewhat campy. All true, but the charm, people, good vibe will guarantee a return visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Don F
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Three families of 4 (total of 12) spent six days on island - when hurricane came through. We had a great time. I've broken down Pros/Cons on the stay based on our experience.

PROS:
1. All inclusive and never went hungry or thirsty.
2. Great natural beach. Spent a lot of time there.
3. Very safe. Never once felt unsure about our surroundings.
4. Played two rounds of golf (included): very nice Nicklaus design.
5. Nice large rooms.

CONS:
1. Small pools.
2. Though good variety, food could've been better.

Overall we had a great time and would do it again.

• Stayed: August 2012
16  Thank RoamingRadioGuy