“cheap, clean, unattractive location”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Villas Ixchel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cozumel
Villas Ixchel
Ranked #21 of 26 Cozumel B&B and Inns
Karlsruhe
“cheap, clean, unattractive location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2009

Its a nice place once you are behind the door, in case you are not hysteric about dogs. Still the small double room on the ground floor is sticky and air doesnt run through. the host is friendly, but a bit moody. she would not call me a cab, but force me to do it with my german mobile, which is very expensive.

But the location is not recommenable if you dont have a car or a motorcycle. the information roswitha gives regarding distances is just not true, and cozumel town is a very unattractive place to take a walk. the center is a 25 minute walk, and i am a fast walker.

basically the whole island is focused on the day-trip tourists from the cruiseships and the big resort customers. the landscape is beautiful but i think the island is making a big mistake with the development it is heading towards. i finally rented a bike, which gives you freedom and is not so expensive.

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed March 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank archiprof

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Southeastern, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2008

I just love this place.My little slice of heaven in Cozumel. Villas Ixchel is away from the hustle of downtown in the quite neighborhood of Colonial Independencia across the street from an elementary school.
Rosie the owner, is just a wealth of information on the island and is always willing to share her knowledge and also is a hoot to be around.She has lived in Mexico for many years and also runs a snorkel tour out of the complex.
I am extremely picking when it comes to cleanliness and I would have to say Villas Ixchel is one of the cleanest places I have ever stayed in.
The garden is beautiful and peaceful and I just love sitting on the patio watching the hummingbirds flying around.Native fruit trees and many flowers to numerous to name just enhance the beauty.
Although not downtown, it is a 30 minute walk to the square or a 2 dollar cab ride. I usually rent a economy car during my stay for drives to the east side and general getting around as there is always plenty of safe parking out front of the villa.
I have stayed in 2 of the 4 rooms and personally toured the other 2 and love them all. My new favorite is the upper garden room with it's airy room and view of the surrounding homes and garden.
When I walk through the door at Villas Ixchel I truly feel that I have come home.

• Liked — How quite the place is even though the whole island was celebrating Carnaval.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
7 Thank Alan P
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2006

My family traveled with another family to Mexico for Thanksgiving 2006. We wanted to snorkel and have heard that Cozumel is the place to go. Our web search turned up Roswitha and her personalized snorkeling tour. What a find!

Making the arrangements was easy. Everything was done via email before we even left the states. We had 10 in our party and we even discussed which boat we wanted to use ...complete with emailed photos to help us choose.

The tour was fabulous. It was great to have just our group on the boat with Roswitha, her boat "captain" and another dive master. We felt we were in great hands! Roswitha plans on three sites and it is really important to point out that we passed by other tour groups on the way to her "pick" sites.

The sites were amazing...we would put off the boat and swim with the current over some beautiful coral, tortoise, schools of fish, a sand ray, hugh starfish, and some other amazing creatures whose names I have forgotten. Once we were at the end (or someone was tired along the way) the boat would come by for the pick up. We were not part of hugh crowd of people swimming in the ocean, it was just us and we really felt like we were exploring our own piece of the world.

If you want a really great, personalized snorkeling (or diving) tour you should contact Roswitha. She truely tailors the tour to the needs and desires of the customer. It turns out that, during our stay, there were unusual northwinds and a cold front that impacted boats being able to leave the port. Not a problem...Roswitha and I were in contact via cell phone and changed the day of our trip to have better weather. Now that is customer service!

Jody from Chicago

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank Chicagojody
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2006

This was the best snorkeling adventure we've ever been on. Rosie is so full of information and helps eveyone out. This is not your typical snorkeling boat. It is an intimate tour with few people. Rosie is so knowledgeable and so sweet. The snacks were awesome! We will definitely come back again!

Stayed January 2006
4 Thank soho204
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2006

Villas Ixchel is a great place to stay in San Miguel. It's a good walk from the town centre but we enjoyed getting away from the crowds and there are so many different routes to take that we always found our walks interesting. We had an upstairs studio apartment and it was bright, super clean, airy and cool for sleeping, and had everything we needed. Looked out over a nice garden too. The neighborhood is totally safe and we found the locals to be always friendly and gracious. Roswitha is a really helpful host and the housekeeping service is outstanding. The price is right too. And make sure you go to Coffelia on Calle 5 sur for the best breakfast in town! Rent a car for a day and drive around to the other side of the island as well - it's amazing.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank Inara
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2006

My wife and me stayed at Villas Ixchel 14 days on the 25 feb. to the 11 march 2006. We were delighted with the welcome from the owner Rosie. She is a happy and smiling person. She has been living in Mexico for many years and can help you with all you need to know for the restaurants, beaches, places to see, shops, etc...
The place was clean, beautiful, centrally located in the city and quiet. We ate our breakfeast at Rosie's apt. but the all the other meals at the restaurants which are mainly a 15 to 20 minutes. By cab it cost around $2 U.S.
For the diving, Rosie recommanded Volker Pohl from ---- ( ----). We highly recommand this dive master. We made 24 dives with Volker. He took good care of us, we went with a fast boat to remote dive sites, made long bottom times,ate very good lunch between the dives and always felt secure with Volker. He also has a biologist formation and knows everything about marine life. The quality of the diving is well known at Cozumel, but, the diving master and the diving organisation makes the real difference.
Thanks to Rosie and Volker
Marie-Claude and Claude

• Stayed February 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2006

My family and I were in Cozumel in Dec. 2005, just a one day port stop off our cruise ship. We definitely wanted to snorkel. The cruise ship (RC) offered excursions but we shopped around the Web to find something more personal, better snorkeling etc. and we found it with Rosey from Villas Ixchel at ----! There were 5 of us, 3 adults and 2 kids/teens plus Rosey, Mario and Carlos the crew. They provided boat, equipment, snacks etc. and we had a fantastic time. We went to 3 different spots and saw amazing fish, coral and even a baby sea turtle in December! They were patient, friendly and knowledgable, definitely a highlight of our trip! And I know we went to spots that other "tours" wouldn't have seen. They were also fairly priced. If you email her tell her the turtle family says hello!

2 Thank ddrm