“Don't Believe the Bad Reviews!”

Dive Paradise Cozumel
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Athens, Georgia, United States
“Don't Believe the Bad Reviews!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Where Do I Begin?

Upon checking in at the Dive Paradise shop at Hotel Cozumel,

we got to do our one free weight check/buoyancy shore dive.

Immediately the staff was attentive, and the Manager even came down to the pier to give his personal insight and advise from diving this exact location.

It only got better from there!

"Wech" (Julie's husband) was our DM on our first dives the following morning. He was more than helpful. So much so, it felt like I was in class and he was instructing! It was an honor to have him as a guide, DM and personal instructor.

On other dives, Matu, and the "Jurassic Park Duo" - Emilio & Antonio, were our DM's and they were a blast to dive with! We were diving "old school" all the way! Their enthusiasm and knowledge of the reefs (only Poseidon, God of the Sea is older and wiser-LOL!) was addictive, and we all had memorable dives.

I left "Gato" for last! He has a persona of looking and possibly acting like a drill Sergeant. He even teasingly referred to himself as the "Sheriff of the Sea"!

But underneath that tough, sea weathered exterior, his sense of humor and his love of what he does, shines through.

Through the luck of the draw, we had "Gato" on a lot of our dives (20) and we grew very fond of him!

ALL... of the DM's did dive briefings. ALL... of them stayed directly next to their particular group of divers. ALL... of them made sure throughout the dive, that we were ok. And most importantly, ALL... of them kept tight tabs on their group as they repeatedly counted the divers they were responsible for as we dove.

During surface intervals, every DM made sure we were having fun, and passed around soda's, cookies, watermelon, and papaya.

There wasn't a time when any of the DM's had most of the divers laughing, as we all shared our favorite moments under the sea!

This was my first trip to Cozumel so naturally it was my first time with Dive Paradise.

I cannot think of anything that Dive Paradise could had done better.

For us; it was simply perfection.

Epilogue:

We were terrified about using Dive Paradise after reading all the bad reviews. But it was too late to change. Boy, are we glad we did not!

I know everyone can't be 100% satisfied. To many variables and expectations.

But we used many different Dive Masters, and were on many different dive boats with Dive Paradise (12 days of diving) and we NEVER experienced ANY of the complaints that we read on here.

We are new divers and they took pride in taking care of us. Under the water as well as above.

All we can say is that, if you give them a chance, you will NOT regret it.

Visited August 2013

Inuvik, Northwest Territories, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great choice”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I bought a great packaged deal through this company for 15 dives and my villa, smart choice.
1 shore dive on the day I arrived with a private guide, 5 days of 2 morning dives, 3 days single tank afternoon dives and 1 night dive.(Apple went out of her way for me and even though I was the only one to sign up for the night dive she didn't cancel it). Great dives at many different reefs and I can't pick a favourite. I was mostly on fast boats but whatever boat you were on had great captains and dive masters. All dives were thoroughly explained, we were given choices of which sites we wanted to dive (many divers return here year after year and I can see why). I got to experience my first drift dive, night dive and going through coral caves. I will definitely use Dive Paradise on my next trip to Cozumel.

Plano, Texas
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Great people, carefull and helpfull”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We use this dive shop. It was a part of our dive package. They were great, very helpfully and safe. Our dive master really took care of us and helped us all the way! I will use them when ever we go back to Cozumel to dive. Don' forget to tip your dive master!

Ontario
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Not what we're used to...”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Good: We saw tons of HUGE fish. They hunted lionfish. Pick-up/Drop-off from resort dock.
Bad: Have to stay away from the group to avoid getting kicked. No briefings/safety.

This was our first time to Cozumel to dive. We went with this dive outfit because friend's of ours had a package deal with their resort. We stayed at the Cozumel Palace and they came to pick us up at the resort's dock in their big boat. Our friend who usually dives off the smaller boats explained how it would be much slower. He was right. We took almost an hour to reach the reefs. The boat was spacious but that allowed for more people.

On the first day, there were 11 people which wasn't so bad. The first thing that caught me off guard was that the "dive master" didn't brief us on the safety on the boat. Where was the oxygen, and life vests? Basically they said that we were about 2 minutes from the dive site and to put our gear on. He didn't tell us anything about the dive site and things to keep a look out for. He didn't brief us about the current either! One thing he did emphasize was that we were to stay as a group and not get ahead of him. When the boat stopped, we were "pushed" into the water and down we went.

Our first guide was pretty good. He did check us for our air consumption and he did cull some lionfish (which were tiny compared to the ones I've seen in other parts of the Caribbean). He also pointed out some cool critters too. The only thing I didn't like was how he'd stop (without telling us) and then we'd be kicking like crazy so that we wouldn't get swept away in the current!

The second day was an entirely different experience. There were more people aboard. They didn't group us by experience and we were put in the second group with an inexperienced family with two teenage boys. We also had a new DM. He was much less personable (Antonio) and on the first dive they told me to jump in and then they made me climb back on because I was in the second group! The boat moved locations so I couldn't stay in the water and wait for the others. Again, there was no briefing hence the mixups.

Antonio didn't check to see that we were OK to go under, once in he just yells "Dive! Dive! Dive!" As we were diving, he didn't check our air and (I've never seen this before) one of the boys went up to him and he ended up on his spare reg! The rest of his family was behind and they didn't seem to know what was going on! Had our DM asked for air, we probably wouldn't have been in that situation. Plus, the DM didn't keep the kid close to him and we just kept diving! CRAZY!

In sum, I would not recommend this company to those who care about their safety, especially beginner divers.

1 Thank EEEEEEEEEEEE
Chico, California, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Not the worst, but not good, either....”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Pretty disorganized, cattle boat style, and I think it would be dangerous for novice divers. I have been diving for 23 years so I don't need help. The dive master was usually nowhere in sight! At least one dive was ruined since I spent the whole time either trying not to get kicked in the face by the 16 other divers on the boat, or looking out for novices (since the dive master was about 1/2 a mile away and would have not even noticed if someone had a problem). Novices would be in danger with this company and experienced divers would be annoyed by the very slow, very crowded boats and lack of organization. Most of the dive masters seemed bored and burnt out.

2 Thank Pamela J