“Great diving for experienced divers”

Dive Paradise Cozumel
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Manhattan Beach, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great diving for experienced divers”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We lucked out and ended up tagging along with some very experienced divers who knew the best spots to hit. Having 30 dives under my belt, we were fairly comfortable to start and Jaime made for an excellent dive guide. It was very full service, lots of help with gear.

Be sure to request the fast boats - smaller groups. And the morning dives get use of the full tank - we did one afternoon dive our first day and we both still had more than 1500 psi of air left on both dives.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank stuknclds

Sacramento, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“At sea, they're great. On land, they're terrible.”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Let me start this review by making something clear: their Boats, Dive Masters, Crew and everything about the diving itself was EXCELLENT across the board. That said, I have no choice but to write some really nasty, but truthful, things about our experience with their land-based employees, policies and practices. As a business owner myself, I was shocked to witness these practices and the cavalier attitudes their staff had when I raised my concerns:

1. DO NOT PRE-PURCHASE YOUR DIVES.
You do not get any discounts worth speaking of when you book your dives with your room, and once you do, they are completely against helping you make changes. The common theme was that if you wanted to make a change to your dive plans, the monies you already paid would be completely lost and you would receive no credit toward your revised dive plan. Several examples of this are within the stories below.

2. LACK OF COMMUNICATION WITH HOTEL COZUMEL AND RESORT.
We pre-paid for 6 morning two-tank trips and 4 afternoon one-tank trips (20 dive trips in total between my wife and I). When we arrived at Hotel Cozumel and checked in, they provided a voucher to take to Dive Paradise. When we took the voucher to Dive Paradise, they said we only bought 12 dive trips. They were unwilling to handle the problem with the Hotel people and instead told me it was my responsibility to bring them proof that I bought 20 dive trips. I found my online receipt (BRING THIS WITH YOU). I showed the dive shop. They now agreed I had 20 dives due to me, but told me to go find a copier and to make them a copy for their records. Really?? This is MY job?? OK... so off into Mexico I go looking for a copier. Luckily the hotel had one and they only hinted at charging me for a copy. Eventually, this got squared away and we went ahead and planned our dives for the oncoming 8 days.

3. ONCE YOU BUY YOUR DIVE, DON'T PLAN ON CHANGING THE DIVER'S NAME
The first and second day, we scheduled 2 morning tanks and an afternoon tank. By the second day, however, my wife was exhausted and opted to sit the afternoon dive out. Keep in mind, I already paid for everything in advance. We had befriended other divers, so I offered my wife's vacant afternoon dive to a new friend. I explained the change to the dive shop and they initially declined my plan - telling me no changes were allowed. Really?? What do they care WHO the diver is?? We argued and eventually I won - our friend was allowed to take my wife's spot. We should NOT have had to argue about it. Several days later, the same scenario played out a second time. Again, we won the argument and a friend was allowed to take my wife's place again. But, toward the end of our stay, my wife was still battling food poisoning from Hotel Cozumel's bad food. She was unable to dive for medical reasons. The third time we tried to have a friend use the wife's paid-for seat on the dive, the shop vehemently and rudely refused: "We have already done this for you two times. No more." SO - DO NOT PREPAY FOR YOUR DIVES. THEY HAVE NO PROBLEMS STEALING FROM YOU IN THIS WAY.

4. CHRISTMAS DIVING
When we made our dive plan with Dive Paradise to place our 20 dives on the calendar, we placed a 2-tank morning dive on Christmas Day. Right before Christmas, they told us that they were not working Christmas and we would have to re-schedule those dives for another day. We moved these dives up (creating a very taxing schedule that contributed to my wife's sitting out some dives as discussed above). Then, the day before Chistmas we learned that they would in fact be diving Christmas Day. We asked that they move our dives back on to Christmas Day where they had originally been scheduled. They refused. They said that Christmas was special and that they would require CASH payment of $75/Diver for anyone who wanted to Dive on Christmas Day. This was horrible treatment of pre-paid customers and is an inexcusable business practice.

5. THE NIGHT DIVE FIASCO
As experienced divers, we really wanted to do some night dives while here. The below scenario played out several times during our stay and represents a very shady business practice. In the morning or even the day before, we would ask if there would be a night dive (1 tank) or a twilight (2 tank, 1 being a night dive) trip. The dive shop replied that there would not be, but that we could place our name on a list. If enough people signed up, they'd get in touch and arrange the dive. That afternoon, we would arrive for our scheduled 1-tank afternoon dive. On arrival, we would learn that there was now a twilight or night dive opportunity. We would ask that the $15 we paid for the afternoon dive be applied toward the twilight or night dive fee and that we be allowed to join those dives instead. They consistently replied that we would have to pay full price for the twilight/night dives and that we would have to completely forfeit our $15 afternoon dive fee. Inexcusable business practice. By demanding we sign up for dives in advance, then failing to post/announce twilight/night dives in advance, the shop knowingly creates this scenario with the full intention of creating forfeiture of funds by customers. Criminal in my opinion...

Visited December 2012
6 Thank Matt-n-Cecy
okc
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Another great trip”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Had another great dive vacation with dive paradise. I had a raincheck for three days of diving from sept. which i used no problem. I also got to finally meet Apple who is the owner of dive paradise- what a pleasure. Angel as usual at hotel coz . dive shop bends over backwards to try to accomadate your needs. Got to dive with many of my favorite DM -Gato, emilio, jaime, and miguel. It is always great to see familiar faces when getting on the boat. I don't mind the large slow boats because i really enjoy visiting and getting to know the people, and having enough room to stretch out is a plus to me also. I saw Omar giving lessons in the hotel coz pool and enjoyed watching him train new divers while we relaxed around the pool. As always a top notch operation. Be back in february- can't wait.

Visited November 2012
“Not responsible at all - do not accomplish what they offer, a total waste of time”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

They didn't give whay they offered, it was a total waste of time for us. We made a booking with Hotel Cozumel with a diving couse included, suposedly given by Dive Paradise. When we wnet to their office an old man told us that it was not a course but a short demonstration and that it would be tought if their instructors were available for it. We felt very disapoined and didnt want to argue with him but was just a total waste of time and a lack of responsible treat to customers who made a booking specially for the dive course offering.

Cypress, Texas, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Something for Everyone”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

This was only my second dive trip. Dive Paradise offered my husband and I a private dive master, which made the whole experience great. The more experienced divers in our group got on the fast boat and had an excellent time. They accomodated setting up an afternoon dive for those of us who wanted to go. They are flexible, easy going, and good to work with all levels of experience. It was a great Mexican experience.

Visited November 2012