“Beautiful Place..would go back again :)”
Review of Occidental Cozumel

Occidental Cozumel
Ranked #19 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed March 26, 2010

My husband, myself and our 2 kids, ages 8 and 5, stayed at Occidental Grand Cozumel the first week of March 2010. We were well aware of the timeshare harrassment at the airport but we found that if you ignore everyone at the airport after you collect your luggage until you get outside you’ll be fine. Once outside find a cab or your shuttle bus and youre off! Be sure to get confirmation for your transfer from your travel agent if it is included with your package. OG is about ½ hour drive from the airport, upon arrival we weren’t offered a drink or warm cloth or anything. We didn’t get to check in right away we had to wait until 3:00 and when we asked where we could change into swimsuits so we could sit at the pool they directed us to the small single stall lobby washrooms to change. We didn’t get the building we requested either, they told us hotel was overbooked. Anyhow we were in building 17 which was the second best location cuz we were right in the middle and central to everything. We were very tired and irritated from our long flight so we decided to just check in and rest. We had a bottom floor room so we had no stairs to climb and a little patio space looking out into the gorgeous jungle. It was very beautiful and extremely quiet! Upon first entering the room it was very musty smelling due to the humidity, nothing a little Febreeze wouldn’t help and within a few days we didn’t notice it as much. The rooms were very clean and large and the huge bathrooms had both a huge glass shower and a separate bathtub! Lots of towels, hot water and good water pressure, air conditioning, stocked mini fridge and free electronic safe. A place to hang wet clothes or even wet towels would be nice, there were no towel bars or railing! The maids were awesome and left a new towel animal every day which the kids got a huge kick out of. The mini bar was always stocked with free beer, soft drinks and bottled water. The resort was gorgeous, the buildings are spread out within a jungle-like atmosphere. Walkways lead you around the resort, and a bridge takes you to the main activity pool and beach. There is a mangrove that the bridge crosses and there are little turtles swimming in the water under the bridge, spectacular viewing! The beach is awesome! Very clean and nicely laid out. You can walk the beach for miles, there were very few vendors on the beach as this resort is farther out on the tip of the island. The resort was busy due to the Canadian spring break but we always found a spot, people ‘saved’ chairs and beach palapas first thing in the morning but I got up early and did the same as the mornings were the best time to take a walk and experience the beauty of the resort before everyone was out and about. There are only 6 shade beds on the beach and these were amazing!! You had to be up early to nab one of these but they were worth it! The staff at this resort were the friendliest bunch of staff we had ever encountered and you were never made to feel like you had to tip but we did anyways! We didn’t find the timeshare harrassment to be all that bad, just a simple no was all that was needed. We didn’t find this to be a problem whatsoever! The resort felt very safe and friendly and even the people we met were friendly and nice but then again the resort was full of Canadians! The resort had several bars including the main lobby bar in the lobby, the bartenders were great and the drinks were good. There was a concierge desk in the lobby, internet service and tv’s and a small store which we found quite expensive! My flip flops had broke and I spent $30 on a new pair that were plain black nothing fancy, they do not barter on prices at the store. Sunscreen was $15 or something so be sure to bring plenty!
The pools were very nice, very clean but not that warm, the ocean was warmer. There was a smaller relax pool with a quieter atmosphere, there is a huge resident iguana that hangs out there it is magnificent! There is no hot tub except for the private one in the Royal Club which was enclosed within a separate part of the resort but who wants to be gated away in there when you can be oceanside at the beach! Didn’t think much of the Royal Club and would not have cared much for that upgrade.
The kids club girl, Melicia, was awesome with the kids however the only downside is that the kids club building was tucked way back in by the lobby building and we spent most of our time by the beach and activity pool where most of the action was and we weren’t comfortable leaving our kids that far away from us. We only participated in the kids activities when Melicia was by the pool doing stuff with the kids, however more things could have been offered for the kids by the pool/beach. For $10 you could paint ceramics at the beach and my daughter enjoyed that.
The food was ok, there was a large selection and always something to eat. La Posada the main buffet restaurant by the lobby was where we ate most, they had wonderful breakfast and supper buffets. They had a different theme every night and my husband absolutlely loved BBQ night! Lunch and snacks were served at the beach café, an open air restaurant that served grilled burgers and fries, hotdogs, nachos and an assortment of buffet choices. Desserts were my favorite part and the kids loved the self serve ice cream bar! Don’t eat late and expect the buffet to be fresh. I wanted to walk over to Albertos along the beach for fresh seafood one night but our kids are picky eaters and we had also heard that it’s at least $50 for lobster.
The entertainment at night was pretty good, there was a show at the outdoor plaza every second night. The fire show was really cool! The only thing we didn’t like was before the shows what they called the mini disco where they tried to force all the kids to go up in front of everyone and participate in games, my little boy is so shy he didn’t want to even go to the shows for this reason of being picked on. The kids really liked the spray paint artist that sets up at the resort a few nights during the week, watching him paint with spray cans was awesome! Vendors set up shop a couple nights at the plaza too. One night at the disco they had a name that tune contest, it was really fun and I ended up winning second place! First place prize was a free certificate to swim with the dolphins at Dolphinarius within Chankanaab Park! Nights ended early and the resort was very quiet, not a party spot at all. We found it fairly cool at nights and never needed bug spray as there were no bugs, I was maybe bitten by a mosquito once.
We had a couple really windy days so sitting near the ocean or poolside was difficult to enjoy. Water sports were cancelled on these days also. So we took a cab to Punta Sur to see the lighthouse and alligator/turtle park. Rent a car if you want to go here! It costed us over $50 to go by cab and you can rent a car for 24 hours for that! It costed us $30 to enter the park. It is a natural park very spread out there is no way you could walk and see everything and there is nothing to see in between areas of interest. As for the alligators, we didn’t get to stop and see any but from what we saw you walk out onto a lookout tower to observe a large swamp area where you might see an alligator. There was also turtle nesting area but apparently turtles only lay eggs at a certain time of the year (May I think?) and so there was nothing to see there either. We got the cab to drop us off at the beach and after a long bumpy winding one way road we were at the beach. It was a really nice beach that had hammocks and beach chairs. We were greeted by some guides there who explained what Punta Sur all had to offer, we had forgotten our towels at the resort and a guide gave us a clean towel of his own to use! They had snorkeling gear to rent, kayaks and other rentals. There was a small palapa covered bar and restaurant as well. The water was calm and crystal clear, the beach was beautiful! My 8 year old daughter and I went out snorkeling in the swimming area and we seen some fish and large starfish but my daughter was getting tired and so a guide came out to us with a kayak and offered to take us out to the reef (10 mins away?) It was great! The most beautiful snorkeling I ever seen! My daughter sat on the kayak while the guide snorkeled with me showing me the reef he was so nice. On our way back we stopped at the lighthouse and climbed it. There was some little shops there that the people begged you to come into, we thought their prices were quite expensive! We finally decided to rent a car as it looked quite safe to drive around the island. There is 1 major highway that goes around the island and you can drive all the way around the island and through town including stops in ½ day. You can rent a car almost anywhere but we rented at our hotel, of course they asked if we’d do the ‘promotion’ which means the timeshare presentation to get the car rental for free but we declined and rented a small car for $55 for 24 hours. For an extra $10 they let you use the full tank of gas without having to fill up before you return. I had read that it only costs $15 to drive around the whole island so instead of filling up before we returned we just paid the $10 and drove the car back when we were done with it without having to stop anywhere to fill up. We drove to San Miguel the island’s only town and did some shopping at Punta Lagosta Mall and looked around uptown, it was fairly easy to get around and very clean! We ate at Margaritaville, it was really good but not cheap of course but the kids enjoyed it. We heard Wednesdays are the worst days to go into town due to all of the cruise ships that stop and town fills up with a million people. We drove on outta town onto the other side of the island. The scenery on the other side of the island was very nice but it was very windy and rough. Chen Rio, another beach sight to stop at, was nice you could stop to swim at the knee deep ‘pond-like’ lake there or buy a drink or louge in a hammock, or shop at the vedors set up there. We bought a coconut and they cut it open so we could drink the ‘milk’ out of it. We thought that was really cool. We drove on sightseeing the island until we got back around to our resort where we had started. We didn’t make it to Chankannab Park but heard it was awesome and very close to OG, maybe a $10 cab ride.
We brought our own snorkel gear and so we spent a lot of time in the water which was warm and clear and mostly calm unless it was an extremely windy day. We swam and snorkeled often within the swimming area and there were plenty of little fish to see, little tiny baby jellyfish some corral and plant life and I even seen the huge resident barracuda! Breathtaking! If you want even better scenery the much bigger magnificent reefs are farther out about a 5 min. boat ride. Dive Palancar, the dive shop on site sits at the edge of the resort on the beach right beside the beach café. They were a very friendly and helpful staff catering to beginner divers. You could get snorkel gear to use or any other water activities there like kayaks, hobie cats etc. Then there is the scuba diving which I was very interested in being a first time diver, I first had to take the intro to scuba pool course which was basically trying the equipment on and learning to breathe underwater while swimming around in the pool. Then the Discover Scuba Resort Course which is the next step takes you for a dive in the resorts swimming area of the ocean, first you have a bit of classroom stuff to go over and then the actual dive lasts about 40 minutes. It costed $58 and a wetsuit rental was an extra $6. They take cash only! My private dive master was Gustavo and he was excellent, he was very patient with me and made sure I was safe and comfortable at all times. The next step towards certification was the Discover Scuba Reef Dive Course $68 but we ran out of time. Apparently it isn’t recommended to dive within 24 hours of flying so my scuba diving had ended there as we had to fly home the next day. If you are certified it is $32/dive and they stop back at the resort in between dives. On our last day we rented a private glass bottom boat for our family, I think it was about $29 per person. It was remarkable, they took us out to 2 reefs Columbia first and then Palancar. Being I was the only one who wanted to snorkel, my family stayed on the boat and viewed the reef through the glass windows on the bottom of the boat. They provided snorkel gear, a snorkel guide, lifevests and drinks on the boat. The captain and snorkel guide were very nice and friendly, the captain even let my kids steer the boat. I seen a huge stingray and barracuda and I even got to feed fish as they swam around me while my family took pictures from the boat! Amazing experience!
Cozumel was wonderful and we found the people of Cozumel to be generally very nice and hospitable!!! We are the type of people who would rather try a new place then go to the same place ever again but I would definitely go back to OGC because it was absolutely gorgeous and I never got to do everything I wanted to do in Cozumel including more diving with the wonderful Dive Palancar!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank CanadianBabeCanada
Write a ReviewReviews (5,140)

Reviewed March 26, 2010

I just returned from the Occidental Grand with 3 of my friends. We were booked in at the Allegro but got move to the Grand - no questions asked and no extra charge. I asked to have us changed due to the horrible reviews at the Allegro - however I would like to say that I did not stay at the Allegro and when we were there - although it was only for 1/2 hour the place looked fine - but why not get upgraded for no $$$?!! I would also like to say that I spoke to many people at the airport on our way home who stayed at the Allegro and they all loved it - just goes to show DON'T TRUST ALL REVIEWS!!! They can ruin your trip - keep an open mind.
The goal of my trip to Cozumel was to find a resort to have our wedding at in April 2011, I loved the Grand but would not get married there - mostly for personal reasons, nothing to do witht he quality of the hotel.
This resort is smaller then some of the all-inclusives I have been to. It has a very cozy; traditional mexican feeling to it, we were greeted with champange upon arrival and I feel in love with the authentic mexican decor.
We were brought to our room in a golf cart with our luggage, our room was 1018 - bottom floor, I would have prefered the 2nd or 3d floor but at the point I didn't want to ask for much more. The rooms are big and clean, nice glass walk-in shower, mini-bar stocked daily. If you want to tip the maid or leave any gifts make sure you leave a note because otheriwse they won't take it.
The beach is great, a bit hard on the feet - lot's of shells. Water is crystal blue, I have been to many island's on the carribean sea and never seen water this blue. Pools are nice, water is a bit cold but isn't that the point of a pool - to get cooled off?!
Bar service was good, loved the fresh fruit that they used, and the corona on draft was a treat. Try the Cozumel Paradise.
Breakfast and Dinner buffet - same building everyday - only one buffet for these meals, I found the food better during these times then at lunch. Food was good, lot's to choose from, I enjoyed the salads and fresh fruit, fajita's and fresh salsa. I did wish that they had more the 1 buffet for breakie and dinner and more then 1 buffet for lunch. However I do want to say that the location of the lunch buffet was beautful!
I think the ony thing that really could be improved at the buffets was that they should consider allowing people to seat themselves - it would save on lines and they should have a stand where people can get their own water, coffee and tea - save on wait times again.
The a la cartes were good, tasty food and good service. You can buy a nice bottle of wine at these restaurants - the wine that is included is ok but if you are a wino like me you will appreciate the wine list.
We did the glass bottom snorkle tour, it was good - book with the El Dorado company, great guides.
We also rented a jeep and toured around. There is a great store in town called Mega, it has everything at a cheaper cost - I got tanning lotion, snacks & beer for next to nothing. Visit Jimmy Buffet's bar, lot's of fun. We also went to Coconut's for lunch, a bit of a drive but well worth it, get the fish taco's!!! There is a restaurant next the the Grand called Alberto's, check it out - good seafood and good Sangria! Check out Paradise Beach, free entry, good beach club, lot's of water sports.
The Grand doesn't have much of a nightlife - or maybe it does and I didn't notice because I went to bed at 9:30 pm every night!! lol! There is a disco but I never went. From what I heard the shows were just ok. I didn't mind that there wasn't much of a nightlife - we wanted to be up early and enjoy the nice weather (which we had everyday).
It would have been nice if the gym was a bit bigger, I had to be there no later then 6am to get on the machines...otherwise you can't go until later in the day. Free weights and machines were good.
I went to see the Iberostar and the Whyndam's and from what I could see the Occidental Grand was nicer then all of them - def. has the best beach. Enjoy your trip!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 25, 2010

We went direct from Winnipeg to Cancun with Signature Vacations (Skyservice). Signature did a great job, someone met us at the Airport, ferry and in San Miguel. Everything was taken care of very well, there and back.
The Good - The people working at the resort were great. If something wasn't right they did their best to fix it. Our room when we got there was on the first floor and had a bad smell. No problem, they moved us to the third floor to a very nice room. The snorkelling off the beach was very nice. Plenty of fish. It is a bit difficult getting out of the water as the beach has quite an abrupt dropoff. Take a glass bottom boat trip (31 US) and go snorkelling. The sites are unbelievable. I won't even try to describe it as you really have to see it for yourself. Breakfast was very nice, enough to choose from and plenty of fruit. Diner in the alacarte was very nice.
The bad - The place is a little run down. Lots of little problems that should be taken care of by better management. The bridge over the swamp had nail heads coming up (make sure you don't walk barefoot). They had red tape on parts of the bridge for the full two weeks that we were there. It was pretty rotted out and was a accident waiting to happen. Chairs on the beach are scarce. We got up at 5:30 to claim our chairs (not very relaxing). No coffee down at the beach first thing in the morning, you can't get a drick at the beach before 10. I like to sit at the beach with a coffee first thing in the morning, no such luck. Lunch was pretty pitiful. Always something to eat, usually the same thing every day. Watch the fruit in the morning, we had a number of times when it had gone bad already, probably left over from the day before.
Beware of the time sell people, the main manager "Raul" was a complete jerk. Things started off with "no pressure" until we told him we were not interested - he actually started yelling at us. Also be aware that you are not in town, the taxi ride to town is 16 US.
Overall we had a great time - once again thanks to the regular staff - waiters, kitchen staff and maids. They do the best with what they have, they really made up for some of the negatives.

Reviewed March 23, 2010

My wife and I stayed here March 15-19. We felt very comfortable and well taken care of. The room was nice and spacious. The staff works very hard and we always felt welcome. We noticed while traveling around the resort that almost every time we encountered a member of the staff - whether they were in housekeeping, groundskeeping or any other service role - they made eye contact with us, smiled and greeted us kindly.

We were out-and-about quite a bit, so we never did eat anywhere at the resort other than the buffet. I would say the food was adequate. There was always something enjoyable and we never left hungry! But it was not great. Except the Coffee, which was excellent at the buffet (not so great in the room). But the staff in the buffet are very attentive and we never had to wait long for a cerveza or any other bar drink.

The grounds are beautifully maintained and filled with lush plant life as well as some pretty cool iguanas. A leisurely walk from the reception area to the beach takes about 3-5 minutes and is very pleasant through the lush surroundings. We did have to get up pretty early (about 6:00 AM) to reserve a prime beach chair location near some shade. The line at the bar by the Activities Pool could get a bit long, but a minute or so walk to the Relaxation Pool bar would put your favorite drink in your hand in less time.

The dive shop at the beach did a great job too. We went on 2-reef snorkel and were taken there in a glass bottom boat! There were 2 guides on the boat and beverages were provided. One of the guests panicked a bit once in the water, but a guide grabbed a boogey-board and stayed with the guest for both reefs even making sure to point out interesting underwater sights.

I also booked a parasail through the dive shop and was very glad I did. It was a very slick operation. they had a nice big platform on the rear of the boat and a motorized winch that reeled me out and back in again. I never even got wet. The ride was VERY peaceful too! For anyone who thinks it is scary, I think you would be surprised. You get up quite high (around 20 stories I'm guessing) and the view is stunning and serene. It's very quiet up there and the ride was never really intense unless I looked straight down (but you're already underneath an activated parachute; what's the worst that could happen!?). You can also go side-by-side with another person.

I also found the drinks to be well made, however; I am not a big mixed-drink kind of person. Having said that, I had some pina coladas there that were delicious and my salted rim margaritas were very tasty as well.

We did tip frequently and felt it was well deserved. We always tipped our housekeeper a few bucks, and our fridge was always kept stocked.

I am also very glad I did my research on TA. Thanks to the reviews and forums, we were able to more easily identify the timeshare people and never really felt hassled by them. They are very friendly and always looking to help, but don't take it! Unless you are interested in a timeshare of course.

4  Thank travmantoo
Reviewed March 22, 2010

We stayed at the Occidental Grand Cozumel March 11-16 and overall we had nice trip. However, from the very start, I found the resort to be “difficult” and I would not go back based upon this trip. Our introduction to the hotel began with our inability to get adjoining rooms for our 12 and 8 year old children. This would not have been an issue if they had not “guaranteed” adjoining rooms if we upgraded to the concierge level of service. They finally solved the problem by moving us the next day but that was the first of many difficulties we had with the staff. We also had difficulty with the reservation system for the a la carte restaurants. After much discussion with the reservation desk we learned that they seat 12 people every ½ hour and they will only take reservations for tables of up to six people. We had three families of 4 and could not get reservations the group at any time during our stay. We did learn to just show up and you could often get seated (perhaps with a tip to the maitre de). The final difficulty was with the bar service. There were two beach/pool bars and they never had more than one bartender for each bar. The lines for drink service were generally 6 or more deep and it seemed very difficult to get a drink. Nor did they have sufficient wait staff on hand to serve the pool or beach areas. The same was true for the bar in the resort that was open in the evenings. I have been to other “all inclusive” in the past and they did a much better job of making sure bar service was prompt. Finally, as with other reviews, the level of pressure from the Hotel Concierge staff to attend the time share presentation was oppressive. I am very assertive and I have no problem saying no but the tenacity of these folks was annoying. The grounds were nice and the rooms were fine (beds were hard as a rock) but the general difficulty of dealing with the staff and service providers made this stay less than satisfying. Based upon my experience with the Occidental Grand, I would spend my money and time somewhere else. I wanted to like it but it just did not meet my expectations. I did love Cozumel and I would love to find a better resort next time

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank MrFooter
Reviewed March 22, 2010

Our first trip to Cozumel so we did not know what to expect. The resort was nice, but not as nice as I expected considering it is rated a 4-star. Very clean areas and the staff was very nice, but they need NEW MANAGEMENT AND OWNERS THAT CARE!!!! The food was very bad---all the buffets and the fine dining was even worse...food was always cold, hade to stand in line to get or get a drink. The flies had freedom to eat what ever they wanted since the food outside was never protected. VERY LIMITED HOURS FOR FOOD--NO IT IS NOT ALL INCLUSIVE since you can not get food when you want to eat, but when they want you to eat. You were not suppose to take food out of the dining areas---even if you wanted something later for a snack. Most of the time there was nothing you would want to take with you or was able to take--such as a muffin or some fruit. The way food was prepared would contaminate even long life foods. There were loads of employees removing dirty dishes, but only acouple doing all the cooking. The food was bad in flavor, burnt or raw, cold if it should be hot, warm if it should be cold.
Always out of liquor and mix and did not even carry basic liquor. Too cheap to keep the water fountains on, the car we rented from the resort barely passed as legal to trip I am sure.
If the owners/managers have any business sense---they will hire someone that knows something about food---safety, flavor, display, selection, hours of business etc. etc.
PLEASE, PLEASE GET NEW MANAGERS THAT UNDERSTAND WHAT PEOPLE WANT AND CAN PRODUCE A NEW OUTCOME BEFORE THE DOORS GET CLOSED.

2  Thank MARKOWisconsin
Reviewed March 21, 2010

My daughter and I just returned from staying our 3rd time at Occidental Grand Cozumel. We love this resort....the location, people, food, room, beach, drinks...it is all wonderful! The dive shop, Dive Palancar, is an excellent group to dive with while there. The only problem we had while there was the shower wasn't working properly, but I called the front desk and a worker from maintenance came right over to repair it. The weather didn't cooperate one day of our trip, so we booked a massage at the spa...very nice!
Although I read many reviews of bad service, food, drink, accommodations, etc...that has not been the case in the 3 trips we've made to Occidental Grand Cozumel in the past 2 years. We are already making plans to return in July and will look forward to the same excellent accommodations and all services associated with this hotel.

Stayed: March 2010