Let me start off by saying.... if you want nightlife... or to be walking distance to it.... run!!! This is a quiet resort. Full of afternoon fun if you want it, but VERY quiet at night.
We stayed in building 16. Closest to the royal club, the relaxation pool and beach. By far the best building for water people!
Town is an $18 cab ride/each way (well worth it) with shops and restaurants. We made the trip twice and you need to get off the main drag (rafael melgar) to enjoy it. Safest place I can think of to just tour around and end up where you end up. Of all the southern destinations we have been to I felt the safest.
Resort - Beautiful! Everything is laid out in lush vegetation, the beach is gorgeous and they even make good Caesars! Room was cleaned everyday, bar stocked. The damp sheet thing everyone talks about can be totally alleviated by going to your room in the afternoon and untucking all your sheets - it is damp but by doing this and putting the air on - ours were dry in the night. Mosquitoes are bad for about an hour – then they go away for the night. Bring some fly dope but overall we were not bitten badly.
Entertainment - as discussed above - they have a few good shows but really not a party place. Nice place to sit outside after dinner and enjoy everyone’s company.
Food - I am a really picky eater and usually get tired by the Thursday of our trip and make my husband take me out.... here I could have stayed longer. Food was ok and plenty of selection.
Trips - went in twice to town - quiet if off the main street and less hassle! Also took a beautiful island tour - 1.5 hours to tour the island and the scenery was beautiful. The tour guide probably helped - local man who loved his heritage and made it all the better. Also booked before leaving a snorkel trip with Rose Fury - she gave everything and more. Picked us up on site. Had only 6 other people on board and gave us a grand tour of the reef. Everyone thought I was getting scammed sending a deposit to Florida but this was by far the best snorkel trip I have ever been on. Did another one in Coz through our rep and it didn't touch it.
My expectation with all of our choices is to enjoy the sun, relax, meet new people and try new things. This resort however set a new bar for all future vacations – the entire package. We heard some complaints about not having a king size bed, air not working well, quiet nightlife but everyone was happy! Overall we will be back to Cozumel and definitely the Occidental Grand.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only the Caribbean’s most famous reef system could match the beauty and splendor of the Occidental Grand Cozumel, which is exactly why the two exist side-by-side. Located on Cozumel’s gorgeous San Francisco beach, just above the bottomless blue paradise of the Palancar Reef system, you’ll find an authentic-style state that delivers all the luxuries of a private oceanside hacienda. Gourmet dining, bright and airy rooms, nightly music and entertainment, daily sports and beach activities and an on-site spa and salon make the Occidental grand Cozumel the jewel of any Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Barcelo, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, TravelUp, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Occidental Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Occidental Grand Hotel Cozumel
- Grand Cozumel
- Grand Occidental Cozumel