“Nice Beach but stay away-Bed Bugs”
Review of Occidental Cozumel

Occidental Cozumel
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Nice Beach but stay away-Bed Bugs”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Room not ready until 5:00 started off this vacation. The air conditioning is hit and miss in the rooms. Ours would only work on low and never got cooler than about 80 degrees (more like a fan). Front desk's response was always "it works". I've never been to a hotel that cared less about it's guests. Our view was of half a brick wall/half jungle with a sliding door that didn't work. The food at the buffet was pretty bad. I survived on French fries and ice cream. The restaurants were just OK (if you can get in). But the bonus of the trip was BED BUGS complete with Emergency room visit upon returning home. Not to be a total downer, the beach is really pretty (after the million jelly fish were gone) and the pool and drinks were fine. This hotel is also built over a swamp complete with an alligator which no one seems to mention. Just when you get to sleep from the heat the evil birds start screaming in the atrium outside all of the rooms. Think Mockingjay hunger games....You might get lucky on your stay and get an air conditioned room, without bed bugs and evil birds, and they might have more edible food but I would go elsewhere.

1 Thank Travelor2165
Liliana S, Reputation Manager at Occidental Cozumel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Travelor2165,

Occidental Grand Cozumel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,122)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Northern California
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Stayed from Apr 18 to 23. We usually stay at Secrets, but this time decided to save a bit of money. It was essentially what we expected: buffets with kids running all over the place (oh the gluttony of it all); mediocre, lukewarm food; weakish drinks; OK room. Continue on for details if you care.

Check in was what we were expecting. No room available until 4ish. Glad we didn't have the same experience as some of the other reviewers that had to go the Occidental's sister resort. That would have made me very unhappy and vocal.

Grounds were very nice. Loved all the iguanas and looking at the crocodile from the bridge over the mangrove swamp. The beach-side pool was nice and seemed to be where most of the kids were. The smaller pool was more relaxed. But... since we only go to Cozumel to dive we never did use either pool. Beach was nice... just remember you're on a coral island. If you want long stretches of white sandy beaches, go someplace else.

Making reservations at the Ala Cart restaurants was funny (she says sarcastically). The number of times you can make reservations for either of them depends on the length of your stay, and you can only make 2 reservations at a time, and you can't make reservations until 9a.m. Such silliness! When we ate at the Sonoran it empty when we arrived at 6 and only had 2 other couples when we left at 7. We walked past it and the Italian one several times during our visit and never saw either full.

Rooms were OK. A/C was good. Frig was restocked and housekeeping provided extra beer, etc if asked. Did not like not being able to put my used toilet paper in the trash bin ("for the health of the mangrove") ... but anything to keep that croc and his turtle buddies happy and healthy!

We did the breakfast buffet... see comment above. We did the lunch buffet... see comment above. A bit disappointed that breakfast was not served at the same restaurant as lunch as it overlooks the beautiful ocean. We ate at one of the Ala Cart restaurants (Sonoran). A lot of fanfare for such a place (dress code, reservations, mediocre food and nice plates, etc.). Decided to skip the Italian Ala Cart restaurant in favor of the Pizza place... that was a good decision. Pizza was very good. Wine was drinkable, but I'm glad I stopped at duty free and picked up a few bottles of good stuff.

There was entertainment each day, mostly for kids. There were movies by the quiet pool--that was kind of nice. The fire show was pretty good. Didn't go to the disco.

Wish they kept the beach bar open during sunset.

Bartenders, waiters and waitress were all pleasant (with or without tips). We did not get accosted by time share people.

The bridge over the mangrove had a lot of yellow caution tape in various places and seems to be a bit rickety in places. Not comforting when you know there's at least one croc below it.

We did not use the gym or spa, and we did not use their dive shop as we prefer Scuba with Alison.

We did have any opportunity to check out the Allegro as we had a friend staying there. I think it caters to kids more than the Occidental. Our friend's room had a large balcony w/ a hammock--very nice, but the bathroom was small. Layout was similar to Occidental minus the lushness, iguanas, mangrove and croc. Pretty sure the food, etc. is the same. Pier was nicer. It had a swim up bar (we probably would have used the pool at the Occidental if it had a swim up bar ... sigh)

Room Tip: Don't stay on the ground floor and don't put clothes on your balcony as they'll get wet...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jirwin
Dear jirwin,

Cincinnati
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Before I start as a side note - flying into Cozumel is not that convenient, unless you plan on diving or scuba everyday I think the beaches at Playa are nicer.

Beach/Pools: a) The quiet pool was never crowded however the bartender frequently disappeared from this location. b) Large pool was nice, however while this did not effect anyone we were traveling with - there were often activities in this pool that made it largely unusable for anyone else during that time. c) Beach - I thought interesting someone noted as walkable - it was so soft I found it near impossible to take a nice walk. The sand is course not soft white (which did not bother me). You could snorkel right off the beach and see tons of different varieties of fish. I felt plenty of chairs at all locations while the resort was not sold out, I was there the week of Good Friday so probably more crowded then other weeks. Towels however were another story, frequently you could not get clean towels or even turn in your old towels as they would also run out of towel cards. How hard can keeping towel cards on hand be.... and this goes right into service:
Service: The staff was extremely nice and helpful, however they seemed to be set-up for failure. Tipping graciously did not help at all with having servers return more often or in serving stronger beverages, so save your money. Examples of this - I requested water as my main beverage at almost every meal. More often than not I had to ask multiple times (especially if I did have another beverage (coffee with breakfast, wine, etc.), and often no one ever stopped back to refill. Lunch was over crowded - long lines, often had to wait for over 10 min. for refill of "plates", or main food items. Bar at beach - long lines, long lines, long line - really no beach/chair service.
Food/Restaurants: breakfast - nice variety, lunch food ok (fine) but pretty much same everyday and not enough choices. Dinner - we made reservations at the 2 restaurants via email prior to arriving without any issue. We made reservations at the Mexican restaurant (which is now really marketed as a steak restaurant) night 3 and 6, I di not attend with the group on night 6 as I was not overly impressed with my meal, thought most were happy. Night 4 and 7 we had reservation at the Mediterranean restaurant - everyone who ordered steak thought it was twice as good as the night before at the steak restaurant - once again I was not overly impressed with my meal. Additionally the air conditioning was not working well and I was sitting by the kitchen so I was miserable, several males in the restaurant were visibly sweating, not overly appealing to see guests wiping the sweat from their brow with their napkins. Night 7 the electric went out (more on that later) so the restaurant was not open. Night 1, 2 and 6 I ate the evening buffet. The food nights 1 and 2 was fine, but on night 6 it was reall great with tons of variety.
The Night the Lights went out: On Day 7 a storm blew in the electric went out - no water (any where), no lights... we were at the beach and just stayed in the ocean... not being able to rinse the sand off or take a shower - we just jumped in the quiet pool - which had turned into a party. The staff handled dinner with candles and grilling and balloon hats. Most everyone at the resort took the event in stride and was a very light fun atmosphere.
Rooms: We were offered newly remodeled rooms in building 14 vs. a suite in building 19 - so we knew going in that it might be dated - I had no real issues with the accommodations other than needing more space to put clothes. My sister was in a remodeled suite and they did have armors that we did not. Room was slightly musty and we did wash even our clean clothes when we got home. Bathrooms in our suite were amazing. On the down side - the air conditioning was awful and it took me several hours to fall asleep do to the heat. My parents were also vacationing with us and were not familiar with the energy saving device, so that was a small issue initially.
Grounds: were extremely well kept
activities: nice variety and plenty to choose from

1 Thank bigredCincinnati
Dear bigredCincinnati,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We were at the Occidental in April 2014. We were with a group of 5 families and this was our second annual trip together. Two of the families had been to the Occidental Grand several times and really liked the unique atmosphere of the resort.

The resort itself is quite nice. It is surrounded by mature landscaping that makes it feel like you are in a well manicured jungle. Large iguanas and geckos are everywhere giving the resort a naturalistic feel. There are several fountain pools at the front of the hotel that seem to be a bit neglected (full of leaves, sand, and minimal water). There are two pools with one being designated as a relaxation pool. The second pool is near the beach which is a short walk across a rustic wooden bridge. The walk across the bridge is quite something.....it spans over a swamp area with turtles and alligators below. The bridge area was very cool but the bridge also appears a bit neglected (parts were wrapped in "Caution" tape which does not give you the warm and fuzzies).

The beach area and beach pool were nice with plenty of chairs and shaded areas (umbrellas and palapas). The problem with the beach and pool areas are they are only serviced by a single bartender. There was no drink service outside the restaurants for 95% of our stay.

The rooms are set in smaller buildings with 24 rooms per building (3 floors each with 8 rooms per floor). The buildings are octagon shaped with the centers open and full of mature landscaping. I really liked the setup of the buildings.....they were quite different from most resorts. The rooms themselves are decent. We had two beds with a bit of furniture sprinkled in. Each room had a flat screen TV with cable. The bathrooms were large and had oversized tile showers with fantastic water pressure! Each room had a balcony and ours overlooked the relaxation pool. Each room had a mini-refrigerator which was stocked with water and sodas daily and beer every other day (which I found rather odd compared to other resorts we have visited). The air conditioning kept the room cooler than outside, but it never cooled the room to our liking (in fairness most of the resorts we have visited were similar in this regard).

Service - this is where the hotel is really lacking. As I've already said, the entire beach area and beach pool are serviced by a single bartender. There were no servers anywhere except in the restaurants. Beach towels were in short supply.....each day they would run out for a period of time. The housekeeping staff would take our dirty towels but would not always replace them. Most days we were not left a wash cloth. Although we had 4 people in our room, we often only received 3 bath towels. All of our friends had the same issue. My daughter asked one of the housekeepers for a wash cloth and she was told "No". When I complained to the Front Desk they said they would send them immediately. Three hours later, I had to call again. When they delivered extra towels, I hid them in the dresser so we had them the rest of the week.

At breakfast the plates, glasses, and bowls were hard to come by. The staff were working tirelessly to keep up with the food and glassware, but they could only work with what they had. It looked to me like they were picking up plates off the tables as fast as they could because they needed to be washed for the next round of people. I've never seen a resort run out of glassware like this place.....it has to be a management issue! I found the food selection to be OK but not great. The omelet station was very good, but one person was cooking for everyone which meant there was a decent wait most of the time. The breakfast menu was 99% the same each day. It would have been nice to see a bit of variety. The buffet restaurant was warm most of the time. A few ceiling fans would do wonders to improve the comfort of the guests.

Lunch was only served at the beach pavilion. The location was right on the beach with wonderful views from most of the tables. Like breakfast, the menu was 90% the same each day. I proved after a week that man can survive on chips and guacamole alone. The burgers were made of mystery meat and the hotdogs were low quality. The one or two main entrees changed daily and most were pretty decent. There was an ice cream station with scooped ice cream which was thoroughly enjoyed by most.

Dinner was served at the main buffet, 2 specialty restaurants, and a pizza place. The buffet food was just OK and is not going to win any awards. The theme changed nightly, but I was never wowed by any of it. We ate at the Mediterranean and Mexican Steakhouse restaurants once each. Both times we received good service and tasty food. It was a welcomed break from the buffet. I had steak at both restaurants and they were both very good. Guests are allowed to make 3 reservations at the specialty restaurants during a 7 night stay. The pizza place was unique. It is situated on a rooftop and has great atmosphere. Pizza takes a bit longer than forever to arrive once ordered. The first time we tried it, our pizza took 2 hours to make it to the table. Had we not been with friends and enjoying drinks, it would have been very frustrating. As it was, we found it comical. Service improved during the week because our next visit to the pizza place ended with our pizza being brought out in only 1.5 hours. I again think this is mostly a management issue as only one man was making the dough and pizzas for the entire restaurant. There was a self serve salad bar, but it would have been nice if tables were served bread, chips, guacamole, etc. to stave off hunger while the pizzas cooked. The quality of the pizzas were good. I highly recommend the Mexican pizza if you don't mind waiting for it. We found the staff at the pizza place to be completely inflexible. We asked for guacamole and chips on our first visit and were told no. Keep in mind this was the night we waited 2 hours for our pizzas. It seemed strange they wouldn't help us out as chips and guacamole were on the menu with one of the entrees.

Overall we liked the atmosphere, but found the quality of service to be lacking at this resort. We have stayed at 5 all inclusive resorts in the past 3 years and the service at this one was by far the worst. It truly is a shame as the resort is beautiful. It would not take a lot to make this a wonderful vacation spot. They need to purchase more glassware, beach towels, room towels, etc. so people aren't waiting for the basics. A bump in food quality would go a long way as would hiring a bit more staff to provide bar service in the public areas. We had a great vacation with fantastic friends, but I won't be staying at another Occidental resort anytime in the near future.

Room Tip: Building 19 is nearest the beach and quiet pool but farthest from the restaurants.
1 Thank dgreen1069
Dear dgreen1069,

colorado
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Let me start by saying that I have stayed here several times and enjoyed the stays. This trip was a disaster! Problems with checking in!!! I had to come back at 4 pm and 6 pm. When I returned my bag was never moved to a secure area, it had been at the curb for 6 hours. I left to get dinner and upon return, there was a total power outage, no lights, toilets, or candles. Come on! Really? No generator? Retuned at 8pm. Total darkness, I was not going to dish out another $56 in cab fare to go to town to get a room. It took another 1 1/2 hours to get into the room, but no key until the next day. I had brought a candle with me, so it was more a night of camping. No water, no toilet. No A/C, opened the screen door which came off the runner, and was overwhelmed by the smell of sewer! Too much.! Power came on around 4 am. I went to the front desk the next morning and no manager, they are on vacation for "Pasqau", ie, Easter. I asked to be moved or upgraded to the Royal Club, no rooms. Really? There were plenty of empty rooms according to the manager in charge of housekeeping.

Breakfast has really gone down hill. Beach is beautiful, but the drinks are really watered down. That is not Absolut vodka in the bottle. Lunch was really poor quality, chicken legs, thighs, horrible hamburgers, cold tortillas which the staff acted as if they were totally bothered to rewarm. Bad food.

Booking dinner: I never got to eat at Los Olivos, or the "Steak house". I was told that there are no reservations for one. When I walked past the restaurants in the evening they were 1/3 full.

Dive shop: Dive Palancar is gone! Pro Dive is there. Very old equipment and a very rude 300 pound woman telling me they are the best on the island. What a joke. Other divers that I spoke to said they were really disappointed. I went to the Caleta, the marina, and found Alfonso Aranda, great dive master, much better prices. You can contact him: ponchoscuba@gmail.com.

I really hope the Occidental Grand gets their act together!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank sallyColorado
Dear sallyColorado,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We appreciate your feedback and you can be certain we will take your comments into consideration in order to maintain our quality standards. We apologize for not having met your expectations and sincerely hope to be able to serve you again in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Overall, we liked this property a lot.
Here is what we value in resorts the most and how this one rated:
1. Swimmable beach - 5/5. Very nice sandy beach (if not quite the white colour it is on the picture). You could swim The swimming area is not roped off so you could swim for long stretches any which way you wanted.
2. Walkable beach - 5/5. You could walk for miles either way, not many hotels around. the sand is very viscous which makes walking in it a good exercise.
We did not have any problem getting sunbeds as I always walk straight to the beach in the morning and go for breakfast between 9 and 10 am.
3. Food and restaurants - 3.7/5. The food was not bad but the main drawback was that fish was not available at lunch every day and, we like to have fish for lunch when on vacation. But on the plus side is that we could get into any a la carte restaurant easily despite all the usual rules. The first night we were booked into the Mexican but we could see that it was full and nobody was near finishing. We popped into the Italian one which is conveniently located right next door, and it was half-empty. After that we dined at these restaurants every night without reservations, just looked inside and went into whichever was not full. We loved fish dishes in both restaurants and the desert dish with chocolate ganache at the Italian.
4. Accommodation - 4/5. The room was good size and kept clean but we did not need much being there just 4 days. We stayed in building 12 which is close to the restaurants and lobby but farthest from the beach. We like to be active when on vacation so for us it was not a problem at all - 3 minutes of brisk walk to the beach.
5. The grounds - 5/5. The grounds are amazing: very lush vegetation and flowers, very beautiful vases, fountains and landscaping.
We were not harassed by timeshare people at all. Because it was just a quick getaway to recharge our batteries for more work, we went to bed relatively early and did not witness any entertainment.
We would recommend this hotel for a quiet relaxing vacation and obviously for people who are into scuba diving for which Cozumel is famous although we are not into it and did not have that experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mirole
Liliana S, Reputation Manager at Occidental Cozumel, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear mirole,

Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Occidental Grand Cozumel. We sincerely hope to be able to host you again in the near future for yet another pleasant stay.

Lakeville, Minnesota
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and I booked at the Grand to have a better experience than we had a previous resort on the island 3 years ago. Upon checkin; we were informed the resort was overbooked and sent to the Allegro a mile up the road for one night and were told to return the next day for check in at the Grand. We arrived at the resort by noon but becuase we could not check in we were forced to carry our purses, passports, money etc on us becuase we were not comfortable leaving it in our luggage out on the curb were it was left. Day 2 arrives and we headed back to the Grand as we were told to do, but again could not check in until later in the day so again lugged our valuables around all day while leaving our luggage on the curb. Day 3 we got up early to make dinner reservations were told dinner reservvations were only available for 9pm in one of the 2 restuarnts in 2 days. We ended up getting an 8pm and an 830pm reservation for the last 2 nights of our trip because that is all that was available. We feel like we were shorted the opportunity to make reservations becuase we couldnt check in and were forced to check in after everyone else on their buisest day of the week.
The food was less than good, there were good items but overall the food was below my expectations. Getting drinks from the bars; plan on waiting 15 minutes in a line or for a bar tender to show up to make you a drink. No one was walking arond bringing people drinks at all.
Room: Our room was great but we had key issues, after 10 sets of new keys in one day; I finally yelled at the people at the front desk telling them we needed a new lock on our door becuase it clearly was not the keys they were giving us that were the issue. Finally they sent a maintenance guy out who changed the batteries in the door and we had no more problems with that. But then our safe locked up and wouldnt open, again needed maintenance to come and put new batteries in. Then our towel supply kept diminising, we started with 4 bath towels but by day 3 we had 2. I finally left a note for the maid asking for 4, got 3 the rest of the week.
Beach was great, snorkeling was great, pools were very nice and had good entertainment during the day.
Overall we decided we would look past all the crappy service and food and enjoy the fact that we were in mexico on an amazing beach instead of shoveling snow back home. However we will not stay at this resort again due to the constant issues we had at the resort.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pam J
Dear Pam J,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We appreciate your feedback and you can be certain we will take your comments into consideration in order to maintain our quality standards in order to ensure our guests' satisfaction.