This was our 2nd trip in 2 years to the Occidental Grand in Cozumel. We stayed for a week in January of 2014.
The grounds, buildings and pools are great. The staff are wonderful with the exception of the front desk staff. To me, your front line staff should be the cream-of-the-crop but, sadly this isn't the case here.
The time share folks tried to nab us but to no avail! They were everywhere. Always saw them eating meals with prospective, unsuspecting clients hoping to get a free jeep rental at the end. Don't do it. You can't need the free stuff so badly that you'll give up a day of your holiday for it.
We made room requests based on the previous year and they were mostly honoured. The rooms are spacious with good bathrooms.
Our A la carte dinners were ok with the Sonora Grill being my favourite. We were able to have a dinner in the Royal Club section and that was fantastic. Top shelf booze and great food.
The bars serve local liquors only and you have to ask for "name brands." Sometimes they have them and sometimes they don't. I found that the rum in the Appleton's bottle was not Appleton's. I know my rum.
The food at the buffet restaurants was 3 star at best. It was boring and always cooked in sauce. Selection was decent but everything was the same. They don't have pasta or pizza stations like other resorts.
The dive shop is top-notch. Pro-Dive has just taken over the dive shop and they are very professional and accomodating.
We didn't have kids with us but they all looked like they were having fun with the staff that were looking after them during the day.
The beach is one of the best on the island and there's good snorkelling right out front.
There's a strong sewage smell at times throughout the resort that just doesn't seem right. I know sewage is a problem on this island but no one should smell it.
Special shout-outs to Jesus in the buffets, Fernando in the buffets, Nelly at the Grand Concierge desk, the bartenders at the pool bar and the gentleman that makes the Spanish Coffees in the Sonora Grill. These were the staff that stuck out in my mind.
We're undecided if we'd return at this point. Improvements are needed in many areas.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only the Caribbean’s most famous reef system could match the beauty and splendor of the Occidental Grand Cozumel, which is exactly why the two exist side-by-side. Located on Cozumel’s gorgeous San Francisco beach, just above the bottomless blue paradise of the Palancar Reef system, you’ll find an authentic-style state that delivers all the luxuries of a private oceanside hacienda. Gourmet dining, bright and airy rooms, nightly music and entertainment, daily sports and beach activities and an on-site spa and salon make the Occidental grand Cozumel the jewel of any Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Barcelo, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Occidental Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Occidental Grand Hotel Cozumel
- Grand Cozumel
- Grand Occidental Cozumel