“Hotel needs improvement, food terrible!”
Review of Occidental Cozumel

Occidental Cozumel
Ranked #21 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Hotel needs improvement, food terrible!”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

The buffet food was really terrible, every dish was cold or luke warm even if it came straight from the kitchen. This can be dangerous and can lead to food poisoning as we all know! I complained with the chef. He'd said he would check it... Rest of the week I countered the same problem. Taste is very blend.
Had dinner in the a la carte restaurant, ordered a tenderloin, more than half of the tenderloin was fat. Complained with the waiter and his response was: "some people like fat..." When I asked him to inform the chef and show him my plate, he said that he didn't dare.
Staff is okay. Rooms smell really bad and damp. Bit run down, need improvement. Just opened my suitcase at home: my clothes smell terrible, I can still smell the room.
Time share staff: rude and hard sellers.
Pro: the hotel is not cheap on drinks
Conclusion: i will stay here never again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Worldtraveller671
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental Cozumel, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Worldtraveller671,

Thank you for the time you took to send us your review. On behalf of the Occidental Grand Cozumel staff, please accept our apologies for your overall accommodation experience, our housekeeping and maintenance teams’ work hard to keep the room fresh and in top condition. We will share your comments with our Rooms Division Manager who always appreciates guest feedback.

Finally, the Food and Beverages manager extend his regrets for any lack of quality product or service you received while dining with us and will be reviewing your remarks.

We do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and hope you will give us another chance to host you again,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,132)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Glasgow, Missouri
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Sales people are the major pain of all who come to this place. After you check-in you are then sent to the next room for the FREE GIFT which is a hook for a free tour of the property with ultra high pressure sales pitch for Vacation Club (not a time share) ha-ha.
The actual hotel room was well kept and the showers were exceptional. The beach was beautiful. Our maid was very good, making the towel decorations and flowers daily and replenishing our fridge. The main complaint that I have is that the bars were all backed up with frozen drinks. They all need more blenders and staff to handle the busy hours and a self serve soda fountain to help with the long lines. Food was very good especially the specialty restaurants.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Nick N
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Absolutely LOVED this place!!! The beach is AMAZING and soft sand! Very relaxing at every area in the resort, either pool, beach, bar wherever! The two things I think that could be better is the food selections at the buffets and to add a bartender to the beach. The breakfast seemed to be the same thing every morning, and sometimes it would've been nice to have someone walking around the beach asking if we wanted a drink that they would bring to us.

Also, do NOT do the "courtesy desk" at check in. Once you check in, just go straight to your room. You do NOT need your "complimentary gift" as this is a way to suck you into their "timeshare meeting time" to waste 3+ hours of your day. :(

The girl from the Kids Club was wonderful!!!!!!!

I would DEFINITELY come back and hope to be back SOONER rather than later!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Kim B
Houston, Tx
Reviewed January 20, 2014

As a marketer, this hotel is our biggest fear. For a great brand, this hotel is embarrassing. I would bring in a consultant to go undercover - and then make actual changes. If the brand is serious about keeping up its reputation.

I wouldn't have all of these complaints if the hotel wasn't marketed as 4 star and if the hotel wasn't one of the most expensive on the island. Mark it as a 3 star to keep expectations in check. By the way, we come to Mexico once a year, and stay at all-inclusives each time. Riu, Iberostar, etc.

If you have another option, take it.

Pros:
-Pretty beach
-Room service

Cons:
-Couldn't get toilet paper in lobby bathroom (for 2 days)
-Food is just bad (and I eat everything)
-Water bottles aren't replaced in room
-One bar for the entire pool and beach area (takes a LONG time to get drink)
-No swim up bar
-Must get up around 7AM to reserve chairs OR you are out of luck

Room Tip: near the pool
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank shelovestotravel1986
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental Cozumel, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Shelovestotravel1986,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your review with us. Please accept our sincerest apologies for not reaching your overall experience. We value your comments about food variety and quality; we will discuss this with the executive chef, who is committed to constantly improving the culinary offerings at the resort.

We regret to read about our cleaning, we will address your comments with our housekeeping manager to ensure that we are maintaining our high level of service.

Many thanks,
Arlington, TX
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Well, we stayed here because my sister and her husband had stayed last year for their honeymoon and they loved Cozumel so much they wanted us to go along. I'm not a newbie when it comes to travel. I have traveled extensively throughout Mexico, Hawaii, Bahamas, Europe, and most of the US. But, Cozumel was new to me. So, I preface this because when I say this hotel has more sales than I'm used to, that's saying something. As other reviewers have mentioned, there is a lot of deception going on. This started before we even hit the hotel. The sales pitches started at the airport and never stopped. "Buy from us, but don't tell the hotel people" from the airport guys and "buy from us, but don't tell the hotel people" from the hotel people!! We didn't know what was going on. We tried not to let that affect our stay since we really wanted to get a feel for the island. It's just that distracting. The resort salespeople are wandering around trying to find those folks that didn't agree to their sales pitch (my sister) and stalked them until they felt uncomfortable. And you can't get away from them because they are AT the resort all day. This got so bad that we tracked their work hours so we could get around them!

I will admit that place is really nice, but we had reserved a room and were told we were to get an upgrade while my sister's family got a regular room (she brought her 2 kids). But, upon check-in, we were told the room was not ready and to go hang out at the lunch restaurant and that it would be about 2 hours. We were exhausted because we had already been through 2 sales pitches, one at the airport and another at the main lobby, which we thought was the check-in desk. They talked us into a $10 deposit for a morning pitch with a promise to have it refunded after the meeting (never happened). At that point, we were so hungry and tired we just wanted to get away so, yes, we agreed.They told us to walk to the check-in desk and we were thinking, isn't this where we are? No, you have to go that way and that way...oh, ok. So, they told us basically how to get to the desk, which is not anywhere near the entrance. By this point, you are inside wandering through several pathways. Finally, we found it after asking a few guests along the way and that's when we were told to wait 2 hours. We left our luggage behind their desk while we went to go eat and drink. We went back to check and were told, no, we need more time. Ok, but we are in an upgraded room, right? Yes. Great. We just sat there in the lobby until they told us the room was ready and were given our key. No "sorry for the wait" or "let's help you take your stuff up to your room" or even "let's show you where you're staying" but "have a nice day" and we were on our own. We got to the room and I could not tell you if it was upgraded or not, but when my sister arrived the next day and stayed in the room below us, I knew it was not any different than hers. Her kids stayed in a room next to hers. We were all in building 17, which I was later told by a guest, IS NOT an upgraded room building. Whatever, at this point, I was afraid of approaching any desk for fear of a sales pitch. My sister's room on the first floor was warmer, much warmer than ours. We were a bit cooler at night, but not much. The rooms are very roomy and the bathroom is very nice and elegant.

The food was fine for me. I follow a Paleo diet and was able to find plenty to eat at all meals. After a while, we got bored with the resort food, though, and left to go eat out. The beach is very nice and clean and there were always plenty of umbrellas and chairs to go around. Like a previous reviewer, a guy came by with a drink order and I tipped him a $5 and told him to keep coming by, but never saw him again.

It rained the entire time we were there but we were able to go out to the beach during periods of sun and go out into the city for some diversions. I did enjoy the time away from the resort. Every time we walked back in, though, here come the sales people to check on you and try to sell you activities. My brother-in-law finally had enough and told one of them off. We met another guest who asked us to complain because he was also under the impression these guys with the name tags worked there.

Bottom line, would I stay here again? No. Not at this resort. The food is good, activities are good, the beach is nice, but those sales people ruined it for me. I'd love to come back, but not to this resort.

Room Tip: You must ask for bacon at the omelet bar. It's there, but if you don't ask for it, you'l...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank cimanom
tulalip. wa
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The staff go out of their way to have you enjoy your vacation in paradise. Everyone were attendative to all my needs even outside of the resort and the island like playa de carmen and more anything. We will be coming back for longer stay next time

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank sandburns
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Just got back from another great stay JAN 11-16, 2014 at the Occidental Cozumel. Let me start out by stating I rated this property at four stars not because it wasn't great but because it is what it is. This is not a five star resort but don't let that discourage you. This is my fourth time staying at this resort and the staff was as warm and gracious as ever. The grounds- beautiful, lots of trees. I love the feeling of being in the jungle. There are even transplanted javelenas running around. The resort has about 220 rooms but it never feels overcrowded or your alone either. The diving was great, five minutes to the reef. One major NEGATIVE was the introduction of PRO DIve to the resort.....HUGE mistake on the part of management to bring these guys in. Don't worry other dive operators are in the area and are more than willing to pick you up at the pier. Food was four stars, reliable, and plenty of it. I do recommend upgrading to Royal Club, the internet and additional restaurant makes it worth it. I MUST graciously thank the three ladies that over see that area. These women went above and beyond!

Room Tip: Building 18,19 or Royal club.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple