Me and my wife were at the Occidental Grand Cozumel for one week in winter. Here´s my feedback:
- The staff: The hotel staff is incredibly pleasant and kind, above all Margarita (receptionist), the barmen, the bellboys, the waiters and the cleaning ladies.
- The beach: One of the two best beaches in Cozumel. It´s wide, long, and has lovely sand. The water has a transparent turquoise colour. The hammocks are comfortable and new. A waitress is always asking if you want something to drink. Snorkelling near the hotel is very nice, in a matter of 5 minutes swimming you can see lots of fish. I saw a very big barracuda trying to hunt small reef fish!!!
The dock is also integrated in the hotel beach. It´s very comfortable for divers.
- The diving center is very good. There´re boats really nearby. The dive masters are very professional and attentive to clients. Yhe only strange thing is that they want you to pay in cash. They offer special rates if you pay in cash.
- The location of the hotel: It´s very separated from civilizaton, you don´t hear any traffic noise. The villas are integrated into the landscape, surrounded by jungle and mangrove swamps. It´s easy to see animals around your villa, like caribbean birds, wild pigs or iguanas.
- the night buffet was original and varied. Each night a different menu was offered. The breakfast buffet was also very nice and abundant.
- The two thematic restaurants are comfortable and warm. Los Olivos (the mediterranean one) is very romantic and they cooked the pasta and meat well. The mexican one (Sonora) as good also, they prepare very good tacos.
- When you arrive there, when the receptionist finishes their initial speech (room, hotel, timetables...), another member of the staff tries to convice you to sign up to the Occidental Hotels Club. He´s very persistent and try to force you to listen to a sales speech of two hours. It´s very unpleasant, I only wanted to get into our room, see the beach, relax... if you say you don´t want to listen to the speech, he gets a bit angry. This can´t be the service of a hotel of this status.
- Careful with the selection of your room...
Rooms on the 1st floor are very wet and it´s possible that certain animals or insects get into the room. Careful with your things also...
Rooms on the 2nd floor are also wet. The jungle is very thick and near the rooms. For example our room (1025) didn´t receive sun all day. The jungle didn´t allow the sun to get in. The room smelt wet and moldy all the time.
In addition to this, 2nd floor has an ice machine. It produces a lot of noise, particularly from 7 to 10pm. I don´t understand why it´s so important to have an ice machine in every villa. Do people really use it?
Our room didn´t have a security box, and the TV was very old.
Rooms on 3rd floor are the best. there is sun and you can enjoy the garden. The best are the ones what are located at the front door of the villas.
- Lunch buffet can be boring. It´s always the same meal:
For starters they have simple saladas, nachos and soups.
Main courses included different chicken dishes, a fish dish (always the same) and the hamburguer grill. I missed grilled fish, eating the same meals for one week is a bit boring...
- They don´t have a veriety of restaurants: We have been to other all inclusive hotels in mexico and they had more different restaurants, like the Asian one, American grill, etc... it´s a bit boring.
- There aren´t any pizzeria, they only served pizzas at the same place where they serve the night buffet.
- Some of the taxi drivers near the door were unpleasant, rude and their cars were very dirty. The hotel should control the quality of them.
- The hotel is very boring at night. They have a club, but it´s only for teenagers. They have a nice square, but they don´t take advantage of it. Thay have no entertainment on weekends (why not??) and the other days are a bit boring. The only day we enjoyed was the one with live music. It´s true that we went ther to relax, but no too much...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only the Caribbean’s most famous reef system could match the beauty and splendor of the Occidental Grand Cozumel, which is exactly why the two exist side-by-side. Located on Cozumel’s gorgeous San Francisco beach, just above the bottomless blue paradise of the Palancar Reef system, you’ll find an authentic-style state that delivers all the luxuries of a private oceanside hacienda. Gourmet dining, bright and airy rooms, nightly music and entertainment, daily sports and beach activities and an on-site spa and salon make the Occidental grand Cozumel the jewel of any Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Barcelo, Priceline, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Occidental Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Occidental Grand Hotel Cozumel
- Grand Cozumel
- Grand Occidental Cozumel