My wife and I returned to the Occidental for another trip to Cozumel after two years. This year, we upgraded to a Club room and I think the upgrade was worth the money. The property is well maintained and very clean. Our room was ready when we arrived, clean and pretty much a typical room at a resort in Mexico. We had no issues with the air conditioning or anything else in the room.
I was there for the diving and used the on-site dive shop, Dive Palancar, for my dives. Overall, this is a good dive shop and the dive masters do a pretty good job keeping everyone on the same page. I wish they would do a better job with less experienced divers or those that like to touch the under water critters. We had a gentlemen from Europe that liked to pose the sea turtles so he could get a good picture. Nothing was said and it was up to other divers on the boat to address. If you want to do some of the more challenging dives, you need to ask at the dive shop and they will make sure you get on the right boat in the morning.
My wife and I ate at the buffet for the most part as I did not bring long pants. The food is good but it's buffet food so don't expect 5 star gourmet food. We never went hungry. The main restaurant can get hot and air doesn't move through very well. We much preferred the beach restaurant where they served lunch. I wish they would serve dinner there once in awhile.
When we go back to Cozumel, we will stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only the Caribbean’s most famous reef system could match the beauty and splendor of the Occidental Grand Cozumel, which is exactly why the two exist side-by-side. Located on Cozumel’s gorgeous San Francisco beach, just above the bottomless blue paradise of the Palancar Reef system, you’ll find an authentic-style state that delivers all the luxuries of a private oceanside hacienda. Gourmet dining, bright and airy rooms, nightly music and entertainment, daily sports and beach activities and an on-site spa and salon make the Occidental grand Cozumel the jewel of any Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Barcelo, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, TravelUp, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Occidental Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Occidental Grand Hotel Cozumel
- Grand Cozumel
- Grand Occidental Cozumel