“Second Trip”

Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Wadsworth, Ohio
“Second Trip”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My wife and I returned to the Occidental for another trip to Cozumel after two years. This year, we upgraded to a Club room and I think the upgrade was worth the money. The property is well maintained and very clean. Our room was ready when we arrived, clean and pretty much a typical room at a resort in Mexico. We had no issues with the air conditioning or anything else in the room.

I was there for the diving and used the on-site dive shop, Dive Palancar, for my dives. Overall, this is a good dive shop and the dive masters do a pretty good job keeping everyone on the same page. I wish they would do a better job with less experienced divers or those that like to touch the under water critters. We had a gentlemen from Europe that liked to pose the sea turtles so he could get a good picture. Nothing was said and it was up to other divers on the boat to address. If you want to do some of the more challenging dives, you need to ask at the dive shop and they will make sure you get on the right boat in the morning.

My wife and I ate at the buffet for the most part as I did not bring long pants. The food is good but it's buffet food so don't expect 5 star gourmet food. We never went hungry. The main restaurant can get hot and air doesn't move through very well. We much preferred the beach restaurant where they served lunch. I wish they would serve dinner there once in awhile.

When we go back to Cozumel, we will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scmichaels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,122)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We just returned from our second stay at the Grand Cozumel. Our first stay was seven years ago. We chose this hotel because of the dive center which is conveniently located right on the beach next to the hotel. Great services. The hotel is nice, the rooms are large, and the staff is very responsive. We found the food to be satisfactory for an all-inclusive. Loved the eco-park setting as you never knew what wildlife you'd see - even wild boar!! We didn't attend any of the evening events, but others said it was entertaining. Good stay.

Room Tip: None of the rooms have a water view, rather you're overlooking the lush green of the trees. Ver...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Blake51
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Spent a 3 day weekend at this property August 9 - 12 with my family. I have been coming to Cozumel for over 20 years but this was first time at Occidental Grand. Stayed because there was an extremely good price at the time I booked in early summer.

Major Negatives Are:
1) Built on top of mangrove swamp so mosquitos are terrible
2) As many other reviews point out, the air conditioning in the restaurants and rooms is very poor, UNLESS you are staying in the time share units.
3) Reservation only restaurants always full. Only way to get in is to complain loudly at concierge desk.
4) They always seemed to be out of beach towels. None ready at 9:30 am so if you have a dive boat to catch, too bad. Out of towels by 3:00 so too bad if you were out on a dive boat.
5) I have never stayed at a property with a more aggressive time share solicitation program. Was told by a member of the time share sales staff that they do intentionally run specials to get people on to the property so they can push the time share - oh yeah, it's not "time share". It's club ownership....lol.
6) While the workers were all very friendly, the front desk staff were not so much so. Their attitude was more like, "this is the way it is".

Room Tip: I do not recommend staying at this property.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank DavidDinAustin
SocialMedia_Ctor, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Cozumel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear DavidinAustin2013,

Thank you for your comments. We’re very sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies for your experience at Occidental Grand Cozumel.

Excellence is what we strive to be known for; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our service and provides a memorable experience to our valued guests. We have alerted the head of departments involved in your review regarding your experience. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the issues, prevent future occurrences and improve our guests experience.

We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Occidental Grand Cozumel in the future and to provide a much higher level of service that all of our guests should receive at all times.

Haverstraw, New York
Reviewed August 20, 2013

The staff is wonderful. Friendly and accomodating. Your every wish is their command. The resort is first class with a beautiful beach. I just love relaxing on the pristine beach watching the beautiful water while awaiting the delivery of my next pina colada. They put on wonderful shows at night. What more could anyone wish for?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

4 Thank William B
palm beach gardens, florida
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I read most of the TripAdvisor reviews of the Occidental prior to deciding to stay there. I booked there as they were offering an affordable package and being on my own I was just hoping for an inexpensive dive trip. During my stay at the Occidental I bumped my recollection of the TripAdvisor reviews against my observations. I updated this review daily as I experienced more at the Occidental. I don’t know if the hotel had made changes based on the reviews but I found some things better than indicated by the reviews. I had a very long day traveling and on arrival at the hotel I found the check in process somewhat confusing and rushed. The woman at the front desk described what the hotel had to offer but seemed uninterested in informing me of what the resort had to offer but rather just wanted to be done with it. So my briefing was not that helpful. Later on a bartender told me that they had been so busy the hotel staff had been stressed so maybe I can give them a break on that. My room was on the third floor of the building (12) and there is no elevator so you have to schlep your bags up and down the stairs. I found my room to be tastefully decorated and very clean. The king size bed had a hard mattress but I found it very comfortable and I slept like a baby. Room maid service was reliable and complete. In addition the A/C in my third floor room in building 12 worked just fine. The servibar in the room can be used with no additional charges but in regards to alcohol mine was only stocked with two cans of beer. The charges were outrageous for internet access ($10 if by the hour) and so I very much limited my internet use for that reason. The first evening I had the buffet for dinner and I found the food to be mediocre and very bland. Afterward I spent some time in the lobby bar and (unlike that indicated by one or more reviews) I noticed that top shelf liquors were being served (or at least liquor out of top shelf named bottles – who knows). Unlike the dinner buffet I found the breakfast and lunch buffets to offer much variety and very tasty and enjoyable food. I also found the El Sonora and Los Olivos ala carte restaurants to offer excellent food and service and they are highly recommended over the dinner buffet. I was disappointed, however, that the ala carte restaurants were closed for dinner for three nights during my stay. When these restaurants are open they often claimed to be fully booked when they really are not. Something to do with available staff at the low season I am told. And BTW only the beach buffet and the lobby bar areas are not air conditioned. All other eating areas are air conditioned. I guess I hit it at a low time (mid August) as occupancy in the latter part of my week was around 30%. There were also many available chaise lounges available at the pools at all times. Some people complained about the mosquitoes and I took bug repellent but I never had to put it on. I am told that it depends on the time of the year and how much rainfall there has been. During a couple days I had a problem with hot water in the shower – as in there was none. But other times there was. There is an ATM on site and I was charged $6 for a $100 bank withdrawal. For divers the Palancar Dive Center (right on the property) offers excellent service. All of the staff are friendly, helpful, and competent in helping you to enjoy the reefs right off shore. They charge $35 a tank which is pretty typical. Their souvenir hats and t-shirts are very reasonably priced. They offer a gear valet service to get your gear on and off the boat, wash, and store overnight. They do not charge for this but they do expect to be tipped. Be careful, however, to make sure all your essential gear gets loaded on the boat before departure and that you have all of your gear when leaving the dive store after your last dive. All in all I enjoyed the Occidental but I don’t think I would return. I have experienced much better all inclusive resorts in Mexico. From this trip I will note the things that are important to mean and try to ensure they are available on my next trip.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank alust4life
Fenton, Michigan
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I felt like royalty with the service I received. the resort was spotless. two 2 pools allowed for activities or quiet time. I would highly recommend a stay at the occidental Cozumel. If you've a good travel agent put your trust with them I used Veteran's Travel services out of Kansas City Mo. and was totally satisfied.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

5 Thank Gary P
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Cant wait till next year clean facility plenty of good food everyone was very nice made our stay very nice view of ocean sunset was second to none will do it again next year told all my friends everyone spoke english and worked very hard to make our stay enjoyable

• Stayed February 2013