We just returned from 5 nights with an all adult family trip to the Occidental Grand Cozumel.
Beautiful Location -- The property had two very nice pools, and the landscaping was lovely. Common areas were beautiful, and they work hard to maintain them (new paint and varnish while we were there).
The Beach -- There was a very nice beach, with plenty of chairs, located right off the back of the property. Snorkeling and fishing are available right off the pier and there is a nice dive shop on the property. Lunches were served outside on the beach, which was nice.
The Staff -- For the most part, the people who worked there were very polite and friendly.
The Food -- Not fabulous, but certainly not awful. It's sort of typical hotel food, but there was plenty of variety. The specialty restaurants were OK, but nothing too exciting.
The Rooms -- They were clean, and fairly large and cheery. Furniture was a little old, but in good repair. Plenty of hot water in the shower. Beds were hard, and not very comfortable, but I was able to sleep fine.
The lack of air conditioning. The most noticeable problem was that there was no air conditioning in the common dining area where breakfast and dinner were served. There was a large commercial kitchen in the dining area, contributing to the stifling heat and it was miserable to eat there. Certainly air conditioners break, but looking at reviews on this site, complaints about the absence of air conditioning date back at least a month.
In addition, a number of the rooms had poor air conditioning as well. Ours actually did work OK, but that may not have always been the case, as evidenced by the mildew smell of our bed linens. Yuck.
We still enjoyed our trip, in spite of the heat, but I really think management needs to take these complaints seriously. Air conditioning is a pretty basic amenity, and there's just no excuse (other than poor management) for a resort to not fix their air conditioner in 4 weeks. My review would have been higher, except for this one fairly significant problem.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only the Caribbean’s most famous reef system could match the beauty and splendor of the Occidental Grand Cozumel, which is exactly why the two exist side-by-side. Located on Cozumel’s gorgeous San Francisco beach, just above the bottomless blue paradise of the Palancar Reef system, you’ll find an authentic-style state that delivers all the luxuries of a private oceanside hacienda. Gourmet dining, bright and airy rooms, nightly music and entertainment, daily sports and beach activities and an on-site spa and salon make the Occidental grand Cozumel the jewel of any Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Barcelo, Travelocity, Odigeo, Despegar.com, Agoda, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Occidental Grand Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Occidental Grand Hotel Cozumel
- Occidental Cozumel
- Grand Cozumel
- Grand Occidental Cozumel