“Was an absolutely amazing get away.”
Review of Occidental Cozumel

Occidental Cozumel
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
“Was an absolutely amazing get away.”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This place was great. Have nothing bad to say. Beach was great, with great fish and corals just of the shore. If your lucky you will see the sting rays and barracuda! Of course has some dirt but duh it's from the sea weed. Felt totally safe at all times. The staff was great. People can be snobbish and complain on not being seated, but don't have a reservation, sounds to me like its their fault.
The drink were on point. The buffets were soooo delicious.
And a huge recommendation is to go snorkeling!!!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Aafjr2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,116)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
San Antonio
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I just returned from a week stay at this resort. I had been to Cozumel numerous times diving and have stayed in quite a few different places usually with a diving group so I do not pick the resort/hotel. My diving group decided to stay here at the last minute because Fiesta Americana had closed this month for renovations. The group leader found out early last month after having made reservations last fall! I found the resort to be quite nice with spacious well decorated grounds giving the impression we were staying out in the jungle complete with iguanas running all over the resort and a lot of areas left natural. The rooms were very nice and for the first time the A/C really worked! Our room was in building 17 second floor and we had a small balcony overlooking the southern end of the island. The room was quite large as was the bathroom with a very spacious shower which I loved and a separate tub I did not use.
Breakfast and dinner were served in the building where we checked in buffet style. Lunch was served in an open air covered pavilion on the beach again buffet style. The food was generous of course and basically good. It was a typical all inclusive food with beef, chicken, pork and fish choices. I had expected more Mexican style food but was slightly disappointed. There are two evening restaurants that are billed specialty restaurants and we were told that we could make two reservations while we were there. We ate in both the Mexican and Mediterranean restaurants but reservations were hard to get. Both times all we could get was 8:30 even though we would go by and notice they were only half full every night we checked. Our group leader booked the second one on Friday night for our group of 32 and filled all but two of the tables. Of the two the second one was much better.
This resort is an all inclusive including alcohol and soft drinks. As can be expected the alcohol was of the cheaper variety so if you like premium drinks, you will be asked to pay for it. I had wine several times at dinner particularly in the two specialty restaurants and found the white wine to be absolutely disgusting. The red wine was drinkable so I recommend to stay with the red if you like wine. They do have small refrigerators in the room so you could bring your own and keep it cold. There were several bars with one by the main pool next to the beach, one in the open air pavilion where lunch was served and one in the building where we checked in.
This resort is 17 km south of the plaza and almost at the end of the island. Friday was a non-diving day since we were flying on Saturday so several of us took a cab into the plaza for a cost of $18 USD each way. Friday the Carnival Magic and Allure of the Seas were in port with about 10,000+ passengers so it was a bit crowded. We had gone early so it was not too bad.
Palancar is the diving operators at the resort. We broke up into two groups with 14 in my group on the dive boats. On our dive boat they divided us up into two groups each with our own dive master. The group I was not in dive master did all the briefings and they were first into the water. His English was quite good with little accent and easy to understand. He was willing to go to any dive site we wanted and we chose to go do the wreck dive on the second day. The last day, Thursday, we chose to dive the cathedral. Unfortunately our dive master was next to horrible and on Thursday he had the dive boat drop us off in the sand instead of on the coral. He never could find the cathedral so we missed it. He provided no help to our group but luckily we had an experienced group with one being a dive instructor and at least one trained dive master so we took care of ourselves. Palancar offered a valet service where they would take complete care of our equipment between dives. We left the equipment on the dive boat and they removed, cleaned and dried our equipment. When we returned the next day, it was waiting for us on the pier. A simple ID of your equipment and they put it on the boat next to your assigned tanks. Thank you Palancar.
I would return to this resort again but get a different dive master!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank satxdiver
Summerville, South Carolina
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This was our 6th stay at the Occidental Grand in Cozumel. As always it was fantastic!! The staff is always friendly & goes out of their way to make you feel welcome. Hotel is always very clean. They have the best beach too. We were treated to dinner in the Royal Club for our anniversary, which was excellent. We will be back next year if not sooner.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CarolinaGirl65
Stratford, Canada
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Occidental Grand Cozumel in January this year (19th-26th). It was not our first trip to Cozumel but was the first time staying at this resort. We were there for the fantastic scuba diving Cozumel is famous for. We were extremely happy with the resort, grounds, room, food, beach and especially the excellent service.We would like to take this opportunity to thank all the staff, especially Ricardo for being personable and friendly, making our stay fantastic. A beautiful resort with fabulous staff. We will definitely return. I highly recommend this resort.

J & J Trainor

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JJSunshine_13
Norwalk, Iowa
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed here May 2nd thru the 7th, 2013. Grounds and buildings are beautiful and well maintained. Have to walk across a wooden bridge to get to the beach, pool and dive shop which was pretty cool. The beach area was raked and 2 pools cleaned daily. Plenty of covered shade structures at beach. Our room was cleaned daily and lined changed at our request. Beds a little hard but have slept on much worse. Food was very average, probably would have to say the breakfast was the best. Was supposed to dive 4 days but got sinus infection the day before we arrived which cancelled out any chance of going under water. The on-site dive operator seemed to do a good job as the dive boats were packed every day, so would have to say they operate the so called "cattle boats". Now the only complaint....the pool side bar operated with only 1 bartender each day. The lines became quite long in the afternoons. There was another bar in the adjacent building where lunch was served but it closed at 4PM. Sometimes the bartender would run out of glassed and have to close the bar and run to another building for clean glasses. Also the only beer (Corona on tap) was at times not very cold. Next time in Cozumel would probably try the resort just north or the one just south of this one.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TerryMoe
Gabriela S, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Cozumel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear TerryMoe
Thank you for take the time and write your comments in TriAdvisor.
Regarding our Pool Bar we would like to know that our main goal is rest, relax and satisfaction for our guest. Rest assures that our management taking into consideration your review to improve the service.
We hope to serve you again in the future.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
Reviewed May 8, 2013

If you've read my other reviews, I generally break things down, so here goes.

The diving. Untouched marine park reserve reefs for miles make for, of course, fantastic diving... HUGE and ancient coral formations make for phenomenal diving. Super attentive and detail oriented staff. Well maintained boats and equipment. Our dive master tried to cut one of our surface intervals a bit shorter than we wanted it to be, so he acquiesced and slowed down a bit. They carried our bags, set us up, gave us choice of dive sites, and added snorkel trips, twilight, and evening dives for our group. No boat ride greater than 20 min. SO fun. Don't miss this part!

The grounds. Beautiful, mature landscaping, wide open walkways, ponds, fountains, birds, iguanas, all easy to enjoy, and created a 'natural' and safe bit if privacy as you move through different areas of the grounds. Pools for sports and kids, and a separate pool for adults. Beach cabanas and huts, open air dining or indoor buffet - all the way up to ala carte. Lovely indeed.

The staff. What a gracious bunch of people. Super welcoming. Super accommodating. They just seem happy to have jobs, and want to pull out all the stops to make your stay the best it can be. I have to say, from the housekeepers, to the grounds keepers, to the servers, to the front desk staff, and vendors and entertainers - we were always treated fairly, and politely. It doesn't bother me to have to ask more than once for a beverage refill, or wait for the table I want to sit at, and I'm not perturbed if the pool towels are gone by 5... I just adjust. So, if you want to be waited on hand-and-foot this may not be your place... but if you can get on Island time as soon as you arrive, and unwind and enjoy yourself - this place is totally relaxing.

The rooms. This is where it gets a little dicey, but I'm not high maintenance... I found it spacious, and clean, w a giant very firm king sized bed, a small dresser, nice closet w safe, and a gigantic bathroom. I was in building 15 and spoke to several people in the resort thru the week and learned that this was not a unique to us, but the room had a bit of a moldy smell. There was a small amount of mold seeping thru the paint in the bathroom, and I got the feeling that it was known as part of the deal for the place (according to the staff) and in some ways it was a little gross, but in another way, I was like "Hey, I live in Fort Lauderdale - we are a beach town too... mold... moisture... I get it." not enough to spoil our trip, but it was noticeable enough to be the inspiration for a few sticks of incense, and a few sprays of room spray (which I travel w for ambiance anyway). Also, the water that was used on the landscape outside throughout the day was obviously reclaimed from out cistern... which is NOT an uncommon practice if you've traveled at all on smaller islands... so, occasionally, the smell of toilet water was wafting around in the flower beds. OH, one more thing - my bedding smelled like sweat... I asked housekeeping to completely strip the bedding, pillows, etc, and the problem was solved.

Overall - I highly recommend this resort. Great for families, couples, friends, or work groups - and especially if any of you like to dive... just do it. And leave your princess attitude and high maintenance people back home.

Room Tip: I like being on the ground floor. The trade off is these rooms tend to have a musky smell because o...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank H Lynn W
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Loved this place. They have 2 pools, one which had a quite setting and the other was more of a party setting with music. SInce it's all inclusive, it was great to have someone bring your drinks to you in the pool!!! Food was great. Service was good. The iguanas around the resort was an added perk.... if you like animals. The best thing is that I did not get bit ONCE by any mosquitos. Which surprised me. This place sprays every evening to control this. And I really didn't see any bugs. I'm sure there are some with the tropic settings but they really keep up on this. I'd love to visit this place again. I love the island.

Room Tip: Just a quick note...they will try to get you to attend a time share demonstration and do a tour of t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends