“good, relaxing vacation”
Review of Occidental Cozumel

Occidental Cozumel
Ranked #19 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Overall this was a good, relaxing vacation. If we’ll go to Cozumel next year, we’ll stay in this resort again.

Very good:
•Location – ideal for those who likes the snorkeling and walking on the beach.
•Beach - You will found enough spots in the shadows and in the sun, whatever you want any time. It is very important that here is very GOOD SNORKLING from the beach.
•Food and service in La Posada buffet [breakfast and dinner],
•Territory – Clean and green,
•Room cleaning – they did good job, no complains.

Some areas for improvements: [In our opinion, this will be beneficial for both – for visitors and for the resort, if the resort will take the attention to the following]
•Evening restaurants [Sonora Grill and Los Olivos] - NOTHING SPECIAL. Very basic and not a best quality. We have had a dinner in each restaurant once and then preferred to go to La Posada buffet for a dinner….
•The conditioner in the room is VERY LOUD. But it is too hot at the night in the room if you turn it off. It is not something that resort can fix for you, so, take earplugs with you to make your stay more pleasure.
•No ‘change rooms’ on the beach. So, if you need to change your wet swimsuit you must use the restrooms…. Which is not comfortable.
•Not enough entertainment in the evening. We have stayed for a week and only two nights’ shows were good. Others were boring.

Visit the Albertos restaurant. It located on the beach between Occidental and Iberostar [about 10 min walk from Occidental beach]. They have live music every Tue and Thu from 6 to 10pm. This is a good idea for sunset dinner 

1  Thank KotikiTuristy
Write a ReviewReviews (5,136)

Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I are 32 and 36, active, fit and like to be social. If this is your category, I would not recommend this resort for you. This was our 3rd trip to Cozumel, will not be our last on the island, but will be our last at OGC.
We love going on vacation and meeting other couples and most vacations we come home with new friends we are still in touch with, not the case with this resort. The first night, we went to the 9pm “show” and enjoyed “Name that Tune”, then headed to the Disco.. we were literally 2 of 6 people in the club the WHOLE 2 hours we were there. They did play fun music, the only reason we were able to stay 2 hours.. we made it our own party! The pools are a bit boring and so are the bars. It seemed this resort caters to a much older group, all of which seemed to have gone to bed after sunset.
Overall, this resort was beautiful and very well kept. We never had a problem getting an issue fixed (our power went out the first night from using the blow dryer), they were very quick to fix it for us to get us back up and running.
Rooms/décor is a little dated and beds/pillows were very hard, after the 2nd night I had a hard time sleeping and my back hurt for several days. We stayed in Bldg 15, 3rd floor. This building is directly in the middle of the resort and 3rd floor is the way to go if you don’t mind carrying your luggage up 3 flights of stairs, which we didn’t.
Check-in: We arrived about 1:30pm and didn’t get helped, only 1 person working front desk check-in and the other person was on the phone the whole time. Although our itinerary states that check-in is at 3pm, the front desk told us our room wasn’t ready and wouldn’t be ready until 3:30pm. We arrived at the resort on the day of our 13th wedding anniversary, luckily my husband speaks fluent Spanish and informed them of this, at that time they brought us each a glass of champagne and quickly checked us in. We were then informed to leave our luggage at the bell hop table and we could use the amenities. For anyone staying in the future, carry a swimsuit in your carry-on and sunscreen easily assessable in your luggage, otherwise, like us.. we were forced to open our luggage in the lobby and hunt down our swimsuits.
Beach/pools: We didn’t use the quiet pool and didn’t use the palapas on the beach, however the pool by the beach always had plenty of seats and is very warm and relaxing.
Food: Unfortunately, we were unable to enjoy any of the specialty restaurants even though we had a reservation at the Mediterranean one, my husband forgot his slacks and when we asked if it would be okay if he wore nice golf/khaki shorts with a polo and Sperry’s, they said no. So we didn’t get to have a nice Anniversary dinner as planned, which was extremely disappointing. The buffet, and note that I am not a picky eater, was horrible!!!! I cannot say that enough, I tried a bit of it all and just wasn’t satisfied. My husband got sick one night from chicken wings he ate. We were told the pizzeria was open from 7pm - 1:30am. The first night we went up at 7:30 and they sent us away because the whole thing was “Reserved seating”. We did go back up about 10:30pm that same night and they made us a to-go pizza. The next couple of nights, it was CLOSED all together! Shameful when the pizza was the best food on the entire resort.
Time-share people: AVOID the lobby early in the mornings and during check-in, just say NO. We said no the first day at check-in and the lady went from really nice, to really rude, really really fast. Again, this is where my husband’s fluent Spanish comes in handy. The next morning, at 8:30am (too early for vacation) we got a call from the front desk asking us to come down to get our “Anniversary gift”, so we showered and hurried down only to have been lied to, they again tried to get us to sit in on their presentation, again we said no and again that lady was very rude to us.
So after that first morning we decided to rent a car and explore the island, I highly recommend, it was $50 for the car and $25 for insurance and we had the car from 10am to 7pm. Cabs from the resort to the Plaza (downtown) are $18 each way, much better to spend the $ and get your own car and come and go at your own leisure.
The 2nd day we decided to go over to Mr. Sanchos, we paid $50 pp and was able to use all of their amenities, food and drinks all day, we had more fun at Mr. Sanchos and met more people there than our entire stay at Occidental Grand.
There are too many All Inclusive resorts on Cozumel island to try this one again, I will not return, nor will I recommend to anyone other than my mom and older couples who want to swim and go to bed.

Room Tip: Bldg 15 is in the middle of the resort. 3rd floor if you dont mind carrying luggage up stairs.
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was our family vacation, my daughter with her son and husband, and grandmama for more convenience. We all love it, fantastic jungle all around, with birds singing from morning, till evening.
Friendly stuff, all we ask for and more.

2  Thank Jarmila E
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Check in: We arrived to the hotel around 230. We were not greeted with a cold towel or drink but had to wait by the check in desk for about 20 mins while others were being checked in. There were only two people checking guests in. Two of our three rooms were ready.
Rooms: We stayed on the third floor of building 16. It was beautiful how all rooms/floor were built in a circle with trees growing up through the centre. The rooms were spacious and clean and one room did have a musty smell. Two of the rooms were cool when the a/c was on but ours was not optimal - we had a couple of tough nights trying to get to sleep. The beds were hard but I loved it since I enjoy a nice firm bed. The maid left lovely towel animals and filled our fridge daily with water, pop and beer. The views are all of the jungle so don't expect ocean view as none are near the ocean.
The Pools: There were two pools. The quiet pool area and the activities pool. We did not go into the quiet pool but it looked lovely. You have to walk through this area to get to the bridge that crosses the mangrove to the activities pool. (The mangrove is all dried up now and there are no turtles or crocs - sad to see). There was no bartender at the quiet pool. It was quite breezy during our stay so there was always leaves in the pools and it looked worse in the afternoon but they cleaned it every morning. There was quite a bit of iguana poop around the quiet pool area by mid afternoon but that is probably because of the guests feeding them fruit when they are not supposed to.
Activities: There was always something every few hours going on at the activity pool or on the beach. We had lots of fun doing water aerobics or playing volleyball or watching others play water polo.
There wasn't a lot of chair games going on. We were up early every morning around 7 and would go down to enjoy the sun and read and there weren't any chairs "reserved". Most people were at the pool by nine and it filled up usually by noon with not a lot of available shaded chairs.
Beach: The beach was clean and there were a lot of chairs and palapas but by noon these two were sparse. The ocean was very choppy and when I went in and came out my bathing suit was full of debris so I chose not to spend my time in the ocean. It's not the fault of the hotel that it was like this. There is an area off to the side by the beach bar/lunch area that you could paint ceramics for a fee of anywhere from 12-20 dollars depending on what you picked.
Pool Bar: The service was friendly and they were often joking with you. The drinks were great. By mid afternoon there was usually a 5 min wait but we would head over to the lunch area bar and never waited long. Try the Caesar - awesome! (But ask for clamato not tomato). The waiters were always cleaning the pool area of glasses and would sometimes come by to see if you wanted a drink.
Buffet: We always found something to eat. We were very happy with the variety of food. Vegetable dishes, fish, salad bar, dessert bar, soup and buns. Breakfast omelettes were fantastic. The buffet is not air conditioned so it was somewhat uncomfortable until you adjusted to the warmth. I brought a fan most times to cool myself and at breakfast I ate once out on the patio which was lovely.
Al a cartes: They have three a la cartes : Mediterranean, Mexican and Italian. All were very good. Especially the Mediterranean. We reserved prior to arrival so had no troubles getting reservations but did hear from some guests that there were times nothing was available. The pizza restaurant up top from the lobby was open to walk ins after 9:30. They would even make it to go for you.
We had a birthday to celebrate and Yamille (the assistant manager) ensured we had reservations and a lovely cake for the birthday man. She even ensured a happy birthday sign was on our door. We also renewed our wedding vows while here and there was a lovely bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries left in our room. She went above and beyond our expectations for guest services.
SPA: We bought an hour massage for my Mom on the beach and she thoroughly enjoyed it. There was the shaded beds just beside this area so she was able to go relax again after the massage and look out at the ocean.
WIFI: I used the wifi in our room and it was always fast. It cost about $80 and I could sign up right online from my room with my CC. You could also just buy by the hour or day.
Getting to town: We hired a driver for the morning and it was lovely to see the east side of the island. We also went to town one morning and it cost us $17 each way. We also went to Chankannab and had a van for five people to bring us there and it cost us about the same price. If you are doing a vow renewal look up the one on Hiring a driver for a day website. They have a beautiful mayan ceremony at Chankanaab - you will not be disappointed.
Bathroom Shower/Tub in Room: The water pressure was good but sometimes it would quickly turn hot and cold for a few seconds. We didn't use the bathtub but it was spacious. There is a coffee maker in the bathroom and they supply little packets of coffee but if you want more than a pot just bring some coffee and #2 cone filters. (Grab some milk from the buffet).
Overall: We loved staying here and got what we wanted: relaxation, good drink and food and friendly service along with clean rooms - but for the price of $2600 we felt that we had stayed at resorts that had a better ocean experience and a resort that was closer to things to do (but we knew it was away from town) - for the price reason only we likely won't return here.

Room Tip: Buildings 16, 17 and up are closer to the pools.
2  Thank Pupplove
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I would like to start off first by saying what a great resort this is. Just got back on April 19th. We've been to this resort twice and would definitely go back again. The first time we went we didn't stay in the Royal Club section but still had a great time. This time I thought I would try it and I was not disappointed. It was well worth the little bit of extra money to have this. First, I must mention Nellie who is the Royal Club Concierge. She is wonderful and so very nice. I feel bad when guests give them a hard time. They truly work hard and try to please everyone. I want to thank Nellie for giving us the beautiful room and for making our trip ever so memorable. Secondly, I must mention Rogelio and Thomas from the Royal Club Restaurant (La Carretta). They truly made our week special. They did a lot of little extras for us which meant alot. " Hi Rogelio " from Mike and Laurie (Toronto) Thanks so much for your great service. .We will be sure tell everyone how great you treated us.

Food: I thought the food was excellent. The food in the Royal Club was superb and beautifully served. Definitely each meal felt like first class service. So nice to order from the menu at breakfast, lunch and dinner. No problems getting into the other restaurants for dinner.

Beach and Pool: Beautiful water and very warm for April 2013. Had the best weather, no rain for the whole week. Only one small complaint, not enough umbrellas around the pool. Would like to mention Francesco at the pool bar. Amazing, amazing guy who is genuinely nice and happy and loves to talk with you. Thanks for making our trip wonderful.

All in all, a great trip! Royal Club was the best and especially loved the room service, coffee and fruit plate every morning.

Thanks to everyone and big thanks to Nellie, Rogelio,and Francesco.

Regards,
Mike (guitar guy around the pool) and Laurie from Toronto, Canada

1  Thank Luv2travelToronto_ON
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We choose the Occidental Grand Cozumel because it was all inclusive, had high reviewer ratings and was one of the newer resorts at the south end of Cozumel Island. The resort was well designed in a manicured jungle setting with approximately 20 residences spaced out on the property. There was not a single insect! Each residence was 3 stories high with approximately 20 rooms per residence. Each room had a balcony and there were no ocean views from any room, The beach restaurant buffet and the breakfast/dinner bufet had quality food which was varied each day. Thier are 3 a' la' carte' resaurants. My only quirk was a policy of only one reservation per a' la' carte' resaraunt, however we did not suffer. The meditaranean and pizza restaraunts were first class, the steak house did not compare to local resaraunts such as the Keg - the ribeye cut was to thin for my liking. The beach has a dive shop (Dive Palancar) on site who can arrange diving and a variety of other activities. Dive boats are constantly coming and going from the pier and air tanks are constantly being loaded and unloaded. Palancar is a large dive company which I'd estimate has the majority of the dive charter business on the island. I made my dive arrangements through the onsite WestJet rep who contracted "Dive with Martin". Please read my other review. I was surprised that there was no need to get up early to claim beach chairs. There where plenty to go arround. All 'round an excellent resort / vacation.

Room Tip: When checking in ask for a safe. Not every room has one.
2  Thank faradayblue
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed at the occidental grand from April 13-20 with my wife and our son. Checkin went very quickly. Had to be firm that we weren't interested in time share and we wanted to go to our room. This was the only time we were solicited for time share the whole week. Our room was clean and adequate with a nice bathroom. Only negative with the room was that the beds were very hard, but we managed. Grounds were beautiful. Quiet pool nice, but had no bar tender. Big pool was great but small bar with big lines. Beach was nice. Breakfast and lunch was very good. Lunch area was beautiful, right on the beach. We ate at pizza place one nite, food was good. Ate at steak house another night and the food was great. We did not try the Mediterranean place. We were not big fans of the dinner buffet. Evening entertainment was enjoyable, and the lobby bar was great. Diving was fantastic. I dove everyday. Special shout out to charley at the desk, I think his name is Gustavo-he has been with dive palancar for 20 yr, and robbero. These folks were awesome, but all members of dive palancar were great. Awesome diving!!! We had a real nice vacation. Good value for the money.

Room Tip: Higher numbered buildings are closer to the pools, beach, and diving.
1  Thank EricGrwd