“Here for a second time , and well worth it”
Review of Occidental Cozumel

Occidental Cozumel
Ranked #20 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We came here in 2011 and was impressed with the place , and left our review back then. We decided on coming back here after staying at the Occidental Allergro in 2012. We left a review on that place too. You will make the right choice to stay here over the Allegro or Iberostar. The beach is absolutety beautiful , the resort is beautifully arranged and immaculantly clean. The Staff is incredible and will go out of your way if simple ask for something you need. I want to give a thanks the activity lady Abbi , and head waiter Daniel , you guys helped make this a great time - thanks again. Sure the food might get a little redundant , but simply ask for something and they will make it happen , it is that easy ! We always found something good to drink. With a good tip and a good talk with the bartenders, they will make sure you are taken care of. Yes, the time share people are persistant , but just be nice and tell them no thanks, the eventualy get the idea.
The Dive shop is good. I am just a beginner diver , so I may not know the difference. However Javier is a great guy , and Karla is a patient and good guide for doing the beginner dive. You can also book snorkeling , waverunner jetski bikes, and parasailing right from the dock. I would suggest doing them all if you can , they are all amazing ! We took our 3 teenage kids with, and they had a blast here with the things to do. There is a place to paint ceramics right on the beach (extra charge) and they really liked it , and it seemd like everyone one young and old did too. We did not see a whole lot of little kids , but I wouldn't think this is a place you would want to take them. The shows they put on in the evening are fun enough, go see them if you can , especially the fire show , and Aztec Show. After that , the night life fades pretty quick , but most of the time we were so wiped out , it was time for bed anyways. Yes, the beds are hard, but you will sleep just fine when you are tired. The rooms are plenty big and well taken care of by the staff. Again if you need something , just ask. The resort is about 30 minutes and a $25 one way cab fare to town , so plan you trips wisely. We found most days were not worth leaving the resort. But if you are planning a 7 or 10 day , you need to get to town , and also see the other side of the isand. Both trips will not take up your whole day. I have heard many people say it gets to be a long day when they take trips off the island to the mainland to see the Mayan ruins. I would not suggest it at all. I think alot if negative reviews written about this place are from people who never ask to fix a problem , ask for help , or request something, they just find a reason to complain. If you want to find a reason to complian here, I am sure you can and will. If you want the possibiltes , ingredients , and resources for a great vaction , you will find it here , we sure did !

Room Tip: pick the 3rd level rooms, more of a view. try to get building numbers 14 , 15, 16, and higher they...
6  Thank dmz789
There are newer reviews for Occidental Cozumel

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Myself and my family went to Cozumel on Feb 10th for seven days. I cant say enough about this resort. The staff was amazing they made the trip. They are all so extremely friendly and I will be live long friends with many of them. It was such an amazing trip the beach is amazing and the ocean is even better. It is a very laid back resort. We were there for carnival which was amazing and everyone was in the mood to have fun. I could not have asked for a better trip, and the workers/people we met there were amazing. I can not wait to go back next year!!!!!

3  Thank Carlie C
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I took our 20 and 23 year old "kids" for a warm SCUBA vacation to this resort (we've stayed here a few times). In summary..... it's great...for the following reasons:

1) the rooms are not right on the beach - the rooms are set back in the "jungle", surrounded by trees and shrubs, which keeps the rooms quiet and private.
2) There are 3 pools available if you upgrade to the Royal Club (we always do). An activity pool near the beach is the main pool. Nicely located, always clean, an often some activity (volley ball, SCUBA lesson etc.). A 2nd "quiet" pool is back from the beach, with soft music playing all day, and a LARGE Iguana always guarding the pool. A 3rd relax pool (only in the Royal Club) is nice to relax with great beverage and snack service.
3) The a la carte restaurants are very nice... and the service is great. The buffet restaurant is as good as can be expected, and they try to keep enough variety to keep us all satisfied, but it still becomes somewhat boring after a few days.
4) The SCUBA operation (Dive Palancar) is simply outstanding!!! There are always 4 dives availabl each day (and sometimes 5), and the reefs are only minutes from the dock. The boats are very well equipped, and the dive masters are knowledgeable, and very safety concerned. Special mention goes out to Clemente, Oswaldo, Antonio and Joshoa.... great guides! And the boat captains and staff pamper each and every one of the divers, making sure all is well and ready to go. Thank-you. BTW.... make sure to tip them. A few dollars goes a LONG way to helping make your experience great.
5) Rooms are quite nice, although it was tough to dry towels, beach gear, wet suits etc in the humidity, even if we put them outside.
6) Excersize facility was nicely equipped. Air conditioning worked well, and all equipment was well maintained.
7) The best thing about this resort is the staff.... they ALL work to make sure you are satisfied. Special mention for Nelly at the Royal CLub desk. Thank-you!

As a side note, we did notice a lot of time share sales staff. They did not bother us, but they were always working someone.... mostly in the mornings.

The sales team at the car rental and tour desks were very courteous and helpful.... not at all overbearing.

The resort is about 15kms south of town.... or a $17USD cab ride. Some may consider this a bad thing... we like it as it keeps the resort secluded. We did travel in to town to get some tequila.... but we found the prices to be higher than at the airport.

All in all, a great resort. We'll be back!

Cheers,
Ackselle

Room Tip: Remember.... there are NO views from your room. If you want a view of the sunset, this resort is no...
2  Thank Ackselle
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was my first time staying at an all inclusive facility and we found the experience to have been nice. The staff was outstanding and were very service oriented. They did their best to accommodate us and I was impressed. There were plenty of activities, lots of sun, an excellent beach. But don't go there for the food. It was OK but since they cater to such a wide clientel the food lacks charachter. Also, they really need to hire a good wine steward and take care to maintain the wine at a proper serving temperature. Much of the wine they served we found to be undrinkable.

Room Tip: The facility and grounds are very nice. Avoid getting a room with a connecting door as they are pap...
1  Thank Mike B
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I can not say anything bad about the staff at this hotel. The only thing that was not perfect was how far apart everything was from each other. It would not normally be a concern, however I have MS and find any walking distance to be troublesome. Victor, in customer relations, brought me a cane his aunt had use after a surgery she had last year. The cane was extremely helpful, and I used it the whole week I was at the hotel. The dive shop was equally helpful, Matteo's English is awesome, gave the best scuba class and Clemente held my hand (literally) while he took me on my first deep water dive!! Also had plenty of naturally gluten free meal choices-I never went hungry.
My husband and I are thinking seriously about becoming members here-would defiantly go back :)

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs, birds are loud! No free WIFI, check to see if your room includes
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sheaolet w
Reviewed February 24, 2013

A group of 8 girlfriends from Montreal, we just returned from Cozumel, Sat night, Feb 23. I can't speak for my friends, but I personally loved the resort. We ranged in age from 45-59. There were a few younger people and a few older, but definitely a more mature crowd at this resort.
Being a small resort, by the end of the week, you recognized most people there and we found that everyone enjoyed speaking with each other whether at the lobby bar, pool or even on tours.
The lobby bar was not very big, but never seem to be overcrowded and there was plenty of seating indoor and out. The disco bar was where to find the pool table. They could use another table as this was more popular than dancing. We found the disco to be a little grimy. Table and chairs could use better cleaning. The pool bar had good service but there were usualy long lines. If you walk 20 yards further and go around the beach restaurant to their bar, there were never any lineups there.

Found the buffet food to be very good. I found there was always a variety of food and i liked that there were different theme nights every night. The two a-la-cartes were also good. At the Mexican restaurants would highly recommend the Poblano chili soup, the mushrooms and cheese quesadillas and the coconut shrimp in mango sauce was delicious. The restaurants were small however so i'm sure not every one at the resort managed to book reservations. They also seemed to lack staff. We had good service but the poor three guys working were running the entire time. They should turn the beach restaurant into another 1 or 2 restaurants at night.

We had a room in builing 15. Loved that each building only had 3 floors with about 6 rooms on each floor. Very small and cozy resort. I also loved how authentic it felt. Have spent many vacations in huge resorts in Cuba and Dominican and felt like I could have been anywhere. The style of the building and the colors and the landscaping were fabulous and we felt like we were in a jungle. We were on the 3rd floor and our room was very clean. Small problem with largish red ants (we killed about 4 each day), didn't bother us. Water pressure great in shower, no problems with hot water. Beds way too hard for me to sleep on. I ended up folding my bedspread in four and putting under the sheet to sleep on (this was even with their mattress topper). Friends on the 2nd floor had moldy smelling room and could see the mold on their wall. They were only ones with this problem however. TV's weren't new, but had plenty of channels and worked fine.

Excursions: Hire a Driver for a day (#1 recommended on trip advisor) was fantasic. We booked online with Eduardo giving $100 deposit. Their website lists all details and they are very true to their word. We had Leo as a guide and he was fantastic. We ended up spending 7 hours with him. HI LEO for the senoritas locas from Montreal! We also did a snorkelling sunset trip with Air Canada vacations. I would definitely go snorkeling again, but not this one. We did 3 dives. The first one was mostly for beginners with shallow water and there really wasn't much to see. The second dive was great, saw turtles, lobster and an eagle ray. Third dive it was already getting dark and a little cold and water was much deeper so didn't see too much. We also paid $20 and had one of the activity guys take 3 of us out for a catamaran ride (we didn't want the lesson). it was supposed to be 45 min, but because we did it 1st thing in the morning and no one else was waiting for us to return, he took us out for 1 1/2 hours. it was terrific.

Room Tip: Block 15,16, and 17 are right in the middle between beach and lobby, though it is not a long walk an...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank SNasher0763
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We were a family of twelve who recently visited this beautiful island and this great resort. Upon arrival we knew this would turn into a great holiday. Reception was quick, we did not get the room requests immediately but reception staff did their best to accommodate us. Resort is clean and buildings are settled into a well kept area of natural beauty of flowers and island plant life. Rooms are large and very clean. Pools are well situated to meet needs of the quiet relaxing moments or those who wish to be along ocean and party with friends and music. Resort is small so you get to meet many people from different parts of the world and can expect to bump into them on most days with cheers of Olah! Food is really good at buffet called La Posada and a variety to suit all. The steak hose was pretty good but the Los Olivos was the better of the two when it came to steak. Both A la cartes have a good selection and reservations and dress code required.I must comment on the dinner staff headed by Daniel who totally went out of their way to make sure that our family could always dine together. Daniel had a waiter by the name of Oligario who was there to take care of all our requests and needs. Great job guys.Our family would unanimously recommend this resort for those seeking a clean environment, good food and attentive staffing. A great place for snorkling and scuba diving. If you get a chance do tour the island; it has good roads for driving and an east coast line for the must see.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on second or third floor as they we have less mustiness to them. All rooms are clean...
2  Thank Monedann