“Ironman vacation in Cozumel”
Review of Occidental Cozumel

Occidental Cozumel
Ranked #21 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Mariehamn, Finland
“Ironman vacation in Cozumel”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Professional and very helpfull personel. if kitchen had been better the rating would have been full points.
Good location for attending the ironman.
Nice and calm. Also good for diving.
Rent a car and have a red snapper on the small and simple restaurants on the east coast. Delicious!

2 Thank Hubertus V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,148)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We traveled as a couple to scuba dive and relax for the week. The dive shop is on site, which was amazing, and they had a pier to dock their boats. It was fun to dive with the same group of people over the week and the instructors/guides were like fish themselves! We did our first wreck dive and night dive!

After we got back from diving we would lunch right off the beach. The hotel was at a low occupancy and consequently the speciality restaurants were closed. Instead they offered a lovely menu for each dinner and the fish was especially good. The service was friendly throughout the hotel though we did not do much in the main area as there weren't as many people there. We did see an excellent fire show in the main plaza in the resort per their entertainment. There isn't a swim up bar but the pool is awesome. Since there weren't many people there the entertainment folks were glad to bring us drinks which was kind.

In many ways it was like staying at a secluded beach resort. We would recommend it if you are looking for a relaxing laid back time. We can't speak for the night life and didn't leave the resort except to dive.

Room Tip: We had a basic room and it was great. We did not pay to have a view but were next to a small pool. I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Heather H
Napa, CA
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Beautiful secluded place with small buildings hidden away. We had a lovely, huge room , #1213, with beautiful bathroom (not all rooms are quite so big or lovely). Grounds are gorgeous. Staff very helpful and friendly. Lovely beach and pools. Food was surprisingly good for an all inclusive -- well flavored, although breakfast was not nearly as good as lunch and dinner... lack of variety and quality in the morning. Drinks very good -- they offer fine cognac, etc. Specialty restaurants very good (except one steak in the Mediterranean restaurant which was poor quality - sinewy, chewy).

Main gripes: lack of hot water at high usage times, lack of soundproofing between rooms with adjoining doors, wifi and internet usage ridiculously expensive, pillows poor, and mattresses not great. Also -- they should have a shuttle service into town. There was also a lack of evening entertainment. Only one night of the 6 we were there, they had a marvelous fire show, and a nice combo another night. Otherwise nothing or bingo or karaoke -- poor.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank csteen
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 24, 2012

property is great, rooms are nice, staff are friendly and helpful.....it sort of stops there.
Food is not very good as it relates to selection or quality. Breakfast is likely what they do best, lunch is so so, main room dinner is a let down over all, doesn't begin to compare to Iberostar right next door. Staff were great always hard working and did a great job taking care of our group of 9. They constantly ran out of glasses for juice in mornings, don't open till 7am, hey we just want a coffee or tea.....even the bar seemed to have about 8 wine glasses and that's it. On last day they ran out of water so we couldn't have showers......this place needs new management, glasses are simple, water simple, improve selection for meals again simple. Great location, great beach, like I said what needs improving can be done with new management over night......facility is very nice over all and well taken care of.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Scott K
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We were welcomed at the First Club lounge and greeted cordially. A special request we had made was ready and waiting for us. We had been to this property previously, so we knew what to expect. The room was in good condition, quiet, and comfortable. We enjoyed the iguanas that roamed the property, and the turtles on the boardwalk to the beach always popped their heads out of the water as we passed by. The two shows that week were excellent and the intimate setting for the shows makes them all the more interesting. I have only two suggestions for this property. There is no handicapped access to the second story First club lounge. Some sort of ramp would be helpful for guests with limited mobility. The second suggestion is really minor, but I never saw bacon available for breakfast. Of course, there were other choices. We will be back to this property for sure. The sunsets over the ocean are magnificent, the grounds are immaculate, and the small and cozy feeling one gets at this property promote a relaxing and enjoyable week.

Room Tip: For ultimate quiet, request a room facing the exterior perimeter of the property. You will be able...
3 Thank Stephen B
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I pictured a romantic vacation with my significant other. I got a very boring vacation with mediocre food and nothing to do. No one told us that all but one of the resort's restaurants would be closed when we visited. Do NOT visit this resort in September, October, or November. I'm even skeptical that you should use this resort at all. The phones were down for most of the week, so we couldn't order room service or even ask for a wake-up call. We paid extra for wifi but that was down too. We were told that all the shops downtown were closed but then the next night when we went out there were plenty of bars and activities going on! I feel like we wasted a week's vacation doing nothing in another country; paying for an "all-inclusive" resort that was NOT all-inclusive. Communications between staff members are terrible and as a result we missed a lot of activities. No one ever came to fix our alarm clock so we ended up having to use our cell phones. There's bird poop on the backs of chairs in the one restaurant that they had open while we stayed there, there was also usually an hour wait to sit in those bird poop chairs for dinner. Hardly the romantic dinner and vacation I was picturing. I've contacted management three times now to express my displeasure. They have yet to even call to apologize. Oh, and their "time-share/vacation" discussion is not a 90-minute discussion; they talked to us for about 3 hours. The only good news is, this wasn't my honeymoon.

Consider yourself warned. Don't use Occidental Grand.

Room Tip: Second floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lindsey S
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Cozumel, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Lindseay S,
I apologize for the delay in my response. I am very concerned by your comment about contacting our management and not receiving a response. We have not received any of the messages you left for us. I will be reaching out to directly via TripAdvisor to discuss. On a similar note, I’m surprised to read your feedback about the lack of communication among our staff. We have several procedures in place to ensure that all staff members are on the same page and they are trained to work together towards accommodating guests. I shared your review with the Manager.
Regarding our specialty restaurants, during the low season we alternate the opening of them between Sonora Grill, our steak house, and Los Olivos, our Mediterranean restaurant. In addition to one of these restaurants being open every evening, we also offer guests the option of dining at our buffet, La Posada. I am sorry about the chairs at the restaurant. I talked with the housekeeping team, which has addressed all the chairs.
I sincerely apologize for the issues with the Wi-Fi and telephone connections. That week we had heavy rains that caused this incident. We sent a team out to address the issue as soon as it happened. I will discuss Wi-Fi with you when I reach out directly. Also, I’m sorry to hear about the problem you had with your alarm clock. I have informed our Manager so that all room appliances can be inspected. .
Regarding the Vacation Club presentations, they should never go over 90 minutes. I have met with the Vacation Club Manager to share your feedback and to ensure that the schedule is followed.

I am truly sorry for all the inconveniences you experienced with us. Our goal is to show our guests an amazing time and to hear we failed you on this is very upsetting.
East Troy, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Paradise Found! The Occidental Grand Cozumel Resort
The resort is sweetly tucked away amongst the island flora where the fauna makes itself known. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and impeccably maintained. The lovely pathways on the grounds will lead you to your abode or to the pristine beach that awaits you.
Our sleeping quarters were tastefully decorated, very clean and well kept. The balcony was a welcomed place to relax after a day of activities. The beds were firm but we slept well.
The breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets were very tasty with a good variety of dishes to choose from and the deserts…yummy. We also went to the restaurant on the grounds for dinner and it too was very good. The food was delicious and we enjoyed every morsel.
At the beach we enjoyed the sun, ocean view, swimming and snorkeling; it was fantastic. There was quit a number of cabanas to sit under, we took advantage of the shaded area with a cold drink in our hands and relaxed! There were many other activities to participate in but relaxation on the beach is what we desired.
The service staff, well…what beautiful people they are. A people that are gracious, kind, and attentive to your needs, a happy people extending genuine warmth that one must feel to appreciate. So I thank all my brothers and sisters that work at the Occidental for being a part of an experience that I will treasure for the rest of my life.
If you want to experience Paradise, stay at the Occidental Grand Cozumel Resort, for you will find it there. Should you decide to vacation at this breathtaking resort, I hope you will do what I did a number of nights; take a walk down to the beach and look up above to all the points of light shining out of the blackness and raise your voice to the sky and give thanks, be grateful for this beautiful Earth we live upon. Let the Creator Of All That Is and our precious Earth hear your voice and feel your love. Also, thank all the beautiful people that honor and care for her in such a fine way. Shouldn’t all of us as a human family, every day, be giving thanks for all these wondrous things?

With the Love of Light & Peace
13:20
C. Quade - Wisconsin

Room Tip: Our trip - November 3-10th 2012 - No problem with biting insects
3 Thank Chris Q