“Mother & Daughters Find Paradise”
Review of Occidental Cozumel

Occidental Cozumel
Ranked #20 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
East Troy, Wisconsin
“Mother & Daughters Find Paradise”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Paradise Found! The Occidental Grand Cozumel Resort
The resort is sweetly tucked away amongst the island flora where the fauna makes itself known. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and impeccably maintained. The lovely pathways on the grounds will lead you to your abode or to the pristine beach that awaits you.
Our sleeping quarters were tastefully decorated, very clean and well kept. The balcony was a welcomed place to relax after a day of activities. The beds were firm but we slept well.
The breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets were very tasty with a good variety of dishes to choose from and the deserts…yummy. We also went to the restaurant on the grounds for dinner and it too was very good. The food was delicious and we enjoyed every morsel.
At the beach we enjoyed the sun, ocean view, swimming and snorkeling; it was fantastic. There was quit a number of cabanas to sit under, we took advantage of the shaded area with a cold drink in our hands and relaxed! There were many other activities to participate in but relaxation on the beach is what we desired.
The service staff, well…what beautiful people they are. A people that are gracious, kind, and attentive to your needs, a happy people extending genuine warmth that one must feel to appreciate. So I thank all my brothers and sisters that work at the Occidental for being a part of an experience that I will treasure for the rest of my life.
If you want to experience Paradise, stay at the Occidental Grand Cozumel Resort, for you will find it there. Should you decide to vacation at this breathtaking resort, I hope you will do what I did a number of nights; take a walk down to the beach and look up above to all the points of light shining out of the blackness and raise your voice to the sky and give thanks, be grateful for this beautiful Earth we live upon. Let the Creator Of All That Is and our precious Earth hear your voice and feel your love. Also, thank all the beautiful people that honor and care for her in such a fine way. Shouldn’t all of us as a human family, every day, be giving thanks for all these wondrous things?

With the Love of Light & Peace
13:20
C. Quade - Wisconsin

Room Tip: Our trip - November 3-10th 2012 - No problem with biting insects
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Chris Q

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,148)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2012

The Staff were amazing, and tended to your every need. Great drinks and new what you wanted and kept them coming. The Front line staff did and excellent job representing the Occidental Grand. Very Clean, lots to do activities to do. The Games and entertainment were great. Great Job to Sonya, Nick and Aby, we love you.
Nice and safe area to walk and enjoy the lush jungle of birds and lizards. The onsite diving was fantastic. The buffet was good and there were themed menu nights to mix it up. Also to other reservation onsite restaurants that were great to.

Room Tip: No problems what so ever, they even accommodated us everyday with our group of 18 people have our me...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank twingo8
Doswell, Virginia, United States
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was very pleased with the Occidental Grand Cozumel. The entire staff were very courteous and some even went out of their way to lend a helping hand when you needed it. The food was out of this world. The accommodations were very clean and sanitary. This was my first trip and believe me, I will be a repeat customer. It was just beautiful. Such beautiful, wonderful people. I will never forget my experience. I highly recommend it to everyone, from couples, to friends, to family..... especially family. LOVED IT!!!!!

Room Tip: I believe the second floor in any of the buildings is the best. They are quieter. Of course, if you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jeanne W
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

nice clean hotel in a jungle,good food and drinks, staff friendly and happy to help,great for diving and snorkeling, clear sea...+32.what else do you want??? just one thing.... humidity, but that's what you have to count with.great holiday!!!

Room Tip: pick higher floor if you can.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mosianda
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We were a group of 10 people who were excited to travel to the resort.

Resort looks nice, but the fact that it is an all inclusive resort with very limited dining options and poor quality food really made the stay disappointing. We cut our stay short and moved to a different resort which is much better.

Only 1 "speciality" restaurant open each night, plus the buffet, but you can only eat in the restaurant a limited number of times during your stay (7 night stay you can only eat there 3 nights.) Men need to wear trousers and closed shoes to dinner in the .speciality restaurant. Food there was also not great. Food served cold. Not worth the calories.

Buffet meals were very disappointing, food quality was substandard, desserts had very little flavor. Salads were fresh. Good variety of alcohol. Service was fair, staff were friendly but there appears to be a management disconnect.

Room air conditioning was very noisy, TV sound kept going off and they never came to fix it after 3 days.
Wifi costs US $80 for a week, very expensive and fairly slow.
Mould in some of the common area rooms.

Setting, fauna, flora and natural layout are very nice, beach is great, beach service is inconsistent. I don't care for the iguanas but I guess they add character.

Gordon Ramsey would find this a real challenge. I don't know how it got such a good rating, maybe it is either a trend or a seasonal issue. Online photos are really old.

Typos and errors and poor grammar due to my Android phone.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank haasdasinca
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Cozumel, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear haasdasinca,
Thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear that we fell so short of your expectations. It saddens me to read your feedback about our culinary offerings. Please know that our Executive Chef uses fresh and seasonal ingredients in both the specialty restaurants and buffet. I have met with him to talk about your review, particularly of the desserts and food temperatures.
Regarding our specialty restaurants, we have four, one of which is open for lunch (the Beach Club) and two for dinner (Sonora Grill and Los Olivos ). All of the restaurants feature different daily specials and seasonal dishes, carefully crafted by our Executive Chef. Los Olivos offers fresh Mediterranean dishes and La Sonora features juicy steaks and gourmet salads. During low season we do alternate opening our two restaurants every night, choosing one per night. I am sorry that you were not happy with the restaurant you ate at. I have also shared with our Executive Chef your feedback on the quality of the food served at the restaurants.
I also apologize for the issue with the AC and TV. I have informed our maintenance team about your experience, which has looked into it and addressed any problems with the equipment.
I am truly sorry for all the inconveniences you experienced during your time with us.
Lowell, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was packed, possibly overbooked, when we arrived. Staff was nervous and confused, really not helpful, though very friendly. I was bored here for a week. They shouldare bring inin entertainment nightly as tgereI is nothing to do. Good thinkto for alla inclusive cocktails! Long walk to beach from the rooms, not horrible just a bit annoying. Pools could have been cleaner. Food was pretty poor. After day 2 I was over it. There are "restaurants" on site which you are supposed to get 2 visits too. They were all booked! I had to plead to get into them. Not a honeymoon spot. Would not return.

• Stayed December 2011
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were very disappointed by the quality of the food at this resort. The menus at the 2 speciality restaurants that were open during our stay were interesting, but the food that arrived on the table was poor quality, not very warm and often over cooked. The buffet was equally disappointing. I don't usually eat burgers, but did so at lunch times because they were cooked to order and therefore the only thing that was hot.

The concierge is obviously on a kick back as he was so keen to talk to us when all we wanted to do was go to bed after a very long journey. However the dive master he fixed us up with (Hector) was very good, picking us up at the pier each morning. Sergio, who accompanied him one morning was even better- taking his slate and writing down the names of several of the fish. Thanks to the two of them who made our holiday, together with the nurse sharks, turtles, eagle rays, pipe sea horse and numerous other under sea

Initially I couldn't understand why the time share sales people caught you on the first day, but I soon realised that if they left you any longer there's no way anyone would buy because the place was such a let down. Entertainment was very short in the evenings - one really good group started at 8.30, got everyone up dancing and promptly left by 9.30.

The staff were lovely, always helpful and smiling even though we didn't carry any money with us and therefore didn't tip at all.

I wouldn't go back to the Occidental Grand and would need to be convinced before going to any other Occidental establishment.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Annie B
Dear Annie B,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am saddened to read about your disappointment and was surprised to read your comments about our two specialty restaurants Sonora Grill, the steak house, and Los Olivos, the Mediterranean restaurant as we usually receive great feedback from guests. The menus at these restaurants feature gourmet dishes made from fresh and seasonal ingredients. At the buffets, the Executive Chef strives to offer delicious food options for every guest. Additionally, guests have the option of having pizza at La Piazza or lighter fares at the Beach Club. I met with the Executive Chef to discuss your feedback and he has assured me that he is using it in planning his upcoming menus.
I sincerely apologize for the discomfort you experienced with the concierge and Vacation Club representatives, who are the timeshare people you mentioned. They are supposed to guide guests, showing them all of the facilities and services available at the hotel. I have met with their manager to assess how they are serving our guests.
I am so happy to read your positive feedback about the dive masters. I shared your compliments with Hector and Sergio, who were pleased. I’m also glad to hear you appreciated our nightly shows and met with the Fun Club Manager to discuss extending the hours.
I am sorry you left feeling so dissatisfied. I hope you will visit us again so we can show you the amazing experience we are truly accustomed to providing our guests.