“I found a rock! -- The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Occidental Cozumel

Occidental Cozumel
Ranked #23 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“I found a rock! -- The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Recently travelled in group of 11-12 friends and family, and stayed from August 11-18. Like most all-inclusives, there were some pros and cons with this resort, however I think the "cons" have it this time. If you're thinking of going to this resort, take 5+ minutes out of your life to read this review; I know it's long, but you'll be glad that you did. It's rated as a 4-star on a lot of travel sites, but I feel it's a 3-star at the most...value for money is not there.

The Good:
- We arrived after dark, and all five rooms were processed within about 20-30 minutes. We were pleased to see that the air conditioning had been left on high to ensure the rooms were comfortable upon arrival.
- The rooms are spacious, and have decent beds, if you like a very firm mattress.
- Using the air conditioning and the ceiling fan, we turned our room into a veritable meat locker at night.
- The resort was built a while back, so the grounds are picturesque; Kodak moments abound.
- There is an on-site disco/sports bar open late at night, with a decent bar selection, a good DJ, a pool table, and HD screens fixed on ESPN.
- The large pool is conveniently located next to the beach, showers, washrooms, bar and lunch buffet.
- The beach has plenty of chairs and palapas (umbrellas).
- Both the large 'activity' pool, and the beach are kept surprisingly clean.
- The beach is normally picturesque, from what we've been told. (Tropical Storm Ernesto passed through the area 2 days before we arrived, so there was a lot of seaweed, large and small rocks, and the water was cloudy / dark brownish-green -- not the light bluish-aqua shown online. This was out of their control -- such are the joys of travelling to tropic destinations during Hurricane season).
- Most staff that you interact with speak English quite well, and service is usually prompt.
- The lunch buffet is the best food option, likely because it has its own kitchen. The food here seems fresher.
- One hidden gem is the late-night pizza available from at the main buffet after 10:30pm. Don't miss out on trying one of these, they're the best food the resort has to offer. I suggest the Mexican Pizza!
- There are many excursion options to choose from.
- The town of Cozumel has many restaurants, shops, and high-end boutiques. Cozumel is a cruise-ship destination, that handles around 10 large ships a week, sometimes 4+ at the same time.
- Went on the 'Alberto's Glass Bottom Boat' - snorkelling tour. Guides spoke english quite well, were very friendly and knowledgeable; I got to swim way out in the ocean, which was a great first time experience, and my friend and I both got a great tan. All this, and as many beers or sodas as you'd like for $40 US each + tip.

The Bad:
- We had sent several email requests, to the hotel concierge, a week in advance, asking that our group have rooms close by. Upon arrival, the front desk manager seemed to know that we were travelling as a group, but did not have rooms close by for us; we were spread over 4 different buildings.
- We were told there was a concierge to help us with our bags, but when we looked for him, there was no one there. We walked to our buildings with our bags in tow, and lugged them up the stairs to our rooms. Ironically, two seniors and a couple with a toddler were given rooms on the 3rd floor -- with no elevators!!
- While the rooms are decent, some of the air conditioners are quite noisy, and others do not work very well. Unless you're used to a firm mattress, the beds can be quite uncomfortable. The room safes are pretty old, and don't instill a lot confidence. We had two decorative chairs in one corner of the room, but there was no real comfortable place to sit, other than on the beds. Lastly, the television was on an old small screen, tube tv, with volume controls that didn't work well. *We saw a few rooms with updated decor, seating areas, and new flat screen tv's but, no-one in our group was so lucky to get such a room.
- Right next to the beach is the dive shop and dock; I'd estimate between 5-15 boats an hour use the dock for picking-up and dropping-off. The dock is right next to the beach and ocean swimming area. It's hard to relax and listen to the sound of the waves crashing on the shore, when there are a couple outboard 150's and dive boats idling 50 feet away.
- The large pool is kept clean. As is the beach. I can't say the same for the smaller, "quiet" pool. It starts of being interesting swimming around, with 4 or 5 large iguanas and chameleons nearby, but you quickly realize that you're swimming in a glorified terrarium. The local wildlife tends to poop...which is normal, however with no staff at this pool, excrement is sometimes left cooking in the sun for a few hours...not a very nice stench at nose level, when you're in the pool.
- As I mentioned, the bars have a decent selection of alcohol. However, the mixed drinks are served very watered down -- even when you ask for a double. The drinks only carry a kick, if you tip well.
- As I mentioned, most of the staff you interact with speak English well -- but only when it benefits them. When you tip and when everything is good, their English rolls quite well. However, when you have a problem, or if you're upset about something, all of a sudden you hear "no english senor." Ironically, when you switch to Spanish, the staff still looks at you like you're speaking Chinese or Klingon. Cross your fingers that you don't have any problems with anything!
- The town is nice, but it's kinda far. At $18 each way + tip, you're out $40 US before doing anything.
- The Air Canada Vacations rep suggested we visit the town when there is only 1 or 2 cruise ships in port, so we did. Unfortunately, our group was one of the only batches of customers walking around; so while we weren't attacked or anything, we were harrassed by people hustling sales. I respect people trying to make a dollar, but it got really annoying, really fast. Moreover, I'd be quite wary of walking the area if I was alone or in a smaller group.
- Some of the cab drivers are fricking nuts! I'd say we almost wrecked 3 times...and I was only in 6 cabs, including going to and from the airport.
- I checked with the Air Canada Vacations rep on a good seafood restaurant, and he suggested Alberto's next to the hotel; he gave us vouchers for a free return cab ride, and told me to be sure to use them, so he could get his cut -- still can't believe he actually told me that! It's probably a 15 minute walk through the jungle, or 5 minutes along the beach; but instead we got scammed for 2 cabs and $20. Upon arrival, we found out the 'restaurant' is a large tent on the beach, with plastic chairs, and a stripper pole -- not very appropriate for a family with seniors, teens, and a toddler. On top of this, it's mosquito-infested!! We were stung 5-20 times each, and were told we could buy mosquito-repellant for $12 a can. We left after 10 minutes, and went to an Alberto's in town. The kitchen and bathrooms were disgusting, but the margaritas and food passed the test. FYI, this was about $30 US a head. Try the seafood soup...it's great!

The Ugly:
- Some reviews peg the food as inedible. I think this is a stretch...but I could understand how some people might say that. I've gained weight on other vacations, but I'm pretty sure I stayed the same, or even lost weight on this one -- which says a lot about the food. The main buffet has limited selections, all served under strong heat lamps, that dry-out the food pretty quickly. The 'salad' bar was a joke, and the cold canape bar had a mix of pickled-everything, cold cuts, sweating cheese, and canned fruit! The dessert bar was a mix of melted ice cream, cake with whipped cream and bugs, and tasteless fruit. Some days were better, but not much. I suggest sticking to the potatoes and mystery fish...the only things the chef knew how to cook well.

*On Italian night, there is a pasta bar. This was exceptionally nasty! While waiting in line, they had 7 pasta options to choose from. Behind the stove, there was a sink for rinsing pans, with a sign above that clearly read "non-potable water, do not drink or use for food." While I was there the dish of raw spaghetti was drying out, so the cook's assistant filled a water pitcher at the same sink, and doused the pasta. Ewwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!
I took a leap of faith, and tried the penne, hoping they weren't soaked in the same water. The red and white sauce had flies zipping around, so I asked for garlic and oil...only to find out they had no garlic. So I got a plate of penne, dripping in oil...so yeah...didn't risk my life on that one...

- We ate in the two a la carte restaurants (the 3rd was closed for renovations). Los Olivos wasn't bad, but wasn't anything special. Our group was forced by the hotel to split into two, with the first table arriving at 6, and the other at 6:30. The air conditioning only became noticeable by 7. We were told it's left off all day, so as you can imagine, it's hotter inside than outside (outside was 40+ Celsius).

- The other restaurant had cool AC, but we experienced lousy service. They messed up the appetizers twice, and even had the nerve to argue with us about what we ordered. They stopped as soon as they saw the menu, and realized their error. The steaks were done ok, but my seafood plate was a bit gross -- I didn't finish my meal, and lost my appetite for the evening.

- The Air Canada Vacations rep told us that no-one had been sick at the resort since November 12, 2011. Why he remembered a specific date I'll never know, but that poor sap must have been really sick! Several people at our resort developed cold sores, which were attributed to the heat. Others were nauseous and/or had 'digestive issues,' which were attributed to the humidity. I attribute these to the food! My breakfasts were limited to canned fruit, dry bread items, tater tots, and cheese. So as not to be graphic, I'll say that one day I had a serious 'digestive problem' 20 minutes after eating, that was likely due to the panela cheese served that morning. In the 10 days since returning, I'm still experiencing after effects. I can't speak for anyone else in my travel group, however, I'd go as far as to suggest that the resort's claims that no one has been ill for 10 months, are pure BS. Please excuse the pun...

- Beware of the timeshare sales reps! My understanding of this property is that it is being transformed into an all-timeshare property. I may be wrong, however of the 20 buildings that are there, at least 5 were reserved/closed, while another 5 or 6 were under renovations. There are pushy sales reps all over the place. In each of the first 3 days, I was approached 5-10 times a day. I think the reps stop asking after you say no at least 3 times, or if you tell them off! Again, while I respect people trying to make a buck, these sales 'vultures' -- both the local ones, and the American reps, are really annoying. They shouldn't be allowed to harrass guests in the way that they do! *One person in our group attended what was supposed to be a 90-minute information session, and wound up being held captive for over 4 hours!

- Lastly, one of the biggest issues we had was that this place was a total ghost town. Some nights, we were the only people in the disco, and/or the hotel lobby bar. The beach was empty, as was the pool. There was very little animation. Dinner winds down around 9, the nightly shows wrap around 10, and the bar closes at 1:30. Because the resort is so far from the town, we felt very isolated. In my experience, other resorts that have discos on-site, are party places. This was not the case here.

I'll close by saying, that while the resort has a lot of good points, the bad points are really bad. This is not what I was expecting out of a 4-star resort, in a decent tourist area. Given the same circumstances, I would not return; not even for less money.

Thank goodness for making great memories, with great friends...that's what I'll remember from this trip.

Room Tip: Second floor is the way to go. Frogs and lizards ziped into the ground floor rooms of our group, wh...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank red_hemi_rt_2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,110)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Queens, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

The staff was excellent, especially the Fun Crew (Nick & Abi). The waiters and bartenders were also very helpful, cheerful, and friendly.

There is a lot to do on the resort but not much nearby in walking distance. Horseback riding is nearby, as is the tequila tour. The Chankanaab park is about 10-15 minutes away by taxi. The taxi should cost only around $10-$15 dollars to get there. You can snorkel, swim with dolphins and manatees and a lot more at the park, I highly suggest making a day trip out of it.

Be careful of the time share salespeople after you check in, they will offer you discounts on all your daily plans if you have breakfast or lunch with one of their sales people. The sales team are usually American and will become your friend over breakfast and lunch and tell you about the benefits of having a time share or vacation club package that you pay for.

I found the night entertainment that involved the guests to be interactive was the most fun, for example Casino Night and Name That Tune -- the reason is because everyone was talking with each other and making friends and interacting which gives the resort a more friendly feel. These social nightly events were more interesting than the dancing shows etc..

The grounds were well kept, every now and then you would get a faint smell/odor near the smaller quiet pool, I am not sure if there is some septic tanks or mangroves there but the smell was not pleasant.

Take a look over the wooden bridge as you cross it to get to the beach/pool area. You will see turtles, sometimes a crocodile and sand crabs. There is also a cat that roams the grounds his name is Pedro. He is friendly and lays around most of the time.

The food options were good. I would suggest to keep some of the normal universal staples out every night at the buffet no matter what the theme is -- chips, salsa, guacamole, hamburger, french fries. These are hard to mess up and even the picky eaters can fall back on the safe choices and be content with that nights meal. Personally, I tried everything they put out, most of the food was good.

The resort needs a little more activities after the night show is finished. La Mision provides some entertainment, maybe you can add a touchscreen game system found at most American Bars such as Nexus Countertop or the Merit Megatouch, and also a dart board or maybe a pinball machine, arcade machine, besides just the pool table. That would provide more activity for night guests.

Also for night time guests-- an idea would be a faster food alternative than La Piaza, as the food takes 25-30 minutes. Maybe pizza by the slice to go back to the room, or small fried dishes like chicken tenders, mozzarella sticks for quick late night snacks. I could just be picky or a get really fatty when I drink.

Another suggestion would be for cheaper Wifi services, most resorts charge well below the fees that Occidental charges for hourly/24 hour wifi usage.

If you do plan future renovations to the grounds a Swim Up Bar would be an ideal center piece for the pool, even though the tiki bar is pretty close.

I also love your idea of the Sunset Post, perhaps they could be available at the bottom floor of each hotel building rather than just at the front desk of the resort. This would help guests plan their day better.

Also the mattresses in most of the rooms are very hard/firm to sleep on.. perhaps a softer memory foam mattress topper could be available for a fee or by request only.

Those would be my ideas for upgrades or improvements, otherwise the resort is great. The staff is friendly, the day activities are fun, make sure you do the water polo and pool volleyball. They also do other events like bar tending lessons, towel art, friendship bracelet making, you can also do your own painting on souvenirs by the beach near the dive shop.

The dive shop is also the area where you can borrow snorkels, fins, life vests and go right off the beach to do some snorkeling, you can see some fish, a barracuda every now and then and sometimes a ray.

Another thing I did not take advantage of until I realized it was that there is a Jacuzzi and a Sauna near the gym. I made use of the gym but did not get a chance to use those other features and wish I did. This is tucked away above the La Mision disco area.

Room Tip: Most rooms face the jungle where you can see all sorts of wild life. We had a resident Iguana sleepi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank zmezyou
Broomfield, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

We came over here after three nights at the Allegro next door which was less than desirable - will do separate review on that one.

Rooms:
- The clock and safe didn't work/open at first but they fixed them promptly.
- The fridge was always stocked with soda, a couple of beers and large waters.
- A/C worked very well
- Beds are firm but the most comfortable we've slept on in Mexico
- Good-sized bathrooms and great water pressure in the shower

Pools:
- Clean and well-kept.
- Plenty of chairs but we went in off-season. The chairs are a bit awkward to use but comfortable enough.
- The activities staff were trying hard to get people to participate but we were all too relaxed. Not their fault at all.

Beach:
- Had a lot of shells right near the water which made for rough walking on a short stretch. May be a seasonal thing
- Many chairs and palapas
- We only spent a hour or so just lounging at the beach, but no one came to take drink orders.

Food:
Granted, the food in other countries is always going to be odd to non-nationals, but most all-inclusive resorts just seem to put out poor imitations of American food. That said, the food here was not at the quality it should be for this level of resort.
- The guacamole tasted pre-packaged
- Selection was limited
- Not enough in the way of actual Mexican options. The menu said there was supposed to be a Mexican corner during the buffet but it wasn't there
- There is nothing open between 10:30 (when breakfast is over) and noon (when lunch begins) so make sure you get your breakfast! A snack bar would be nice as I've seen at other resorts.
- We had very little choice for reservation times at the specialty restaurants even though just a few tables are used at a time. We ate at Sonora and it was just OK. The corn soup and the chicken were great. The ribeye was tasteful but thin and fatty. The filet was tender but bland.
- The pizzeria (which is the buffet restaurant after hours) was delicious! Although it took about 35 minutes even though they quoted us 15. We were allowed to get the pizza to-go though.

Grounds:
- Absolutely beautiful! They've let the jungle grow up around the buildings so it feels much more lush than the photos they use online right now. The staff were constantly working on the landscaping.
- We saw lizards, iguana, crabs and some kind of wild, pig-like rodent. (Yes, that's the scientific name for it.)

Entertainment/Activities:
- We saw only one show and it was good! Traditional Mexican dance and singing. The shows while we were there were all in the outdoor area, which is beautiful but may be a bit hot in the summer months. Not sure if they bring the shows inside during that time.
- The disco was closed the one night we were on the premises (Saturday) so no opinion on that
- Our kids didn't do Kid's Club this time so not sure about that either, although the club area is really nice with it's own shaded pool and playground as well as a building for indoor activities. It is also fenced off which I think is great.
- There are a lot of included sport activities on the beach such as kayaks and windsurfing but we didn't use them this time. There is also a dive shop and dock right there if you're a diver.

General:
- Internet is not free anywhere in the resort unless you are a member. This really stinks because so many people need to connect while on vacation.
- Staff were friendly and helpful everywhere
- Drinks were just right, not too stiff, not too weak
- Gift shop prices were average for merchandise and high for snacks

Room Tip: All buildings look to be surrounded by jungle so views should be mostly foliage, I think.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank MakMama
Carver, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

My husband and I traveled to the Occidental Grand August 5-11th and enjoyed a relaxing vacation. We upgraded to the Royal Club as we heard from reviews that this would make the stay more enjoyable. The people at the resort were very helpful and friendly and we did not have any problems making reservations for the specialty restaurants. The weather was very hot and humid and the restaurants and bars were quite warm. All of the windows were closed and there were no overhead fans. On the day of our anniversary we received cake and chocolate covered strawberries in our room. The food was good but the choices were limited. The entertainment was outside so if it rained there was no evening entertainment. One of the nights we were there, tropical storms were in the forecast and everything closed down at 10:00pm. Overall, we had a nice time and enjoyed our stay. The people running the resort were hardworking and very hospitable. One thing I do want to comment on is the beds. We had a room with 2 double beds. I had read that some people had thought the mattresses were hard but I thought that would not bother me as I don't consider myself very picky BUT one of the beds in the room was very hard and I woke in the morning with hip and back pain. My husband and I switched off every night. I am glad that I had the chance to go to Cozumel but next time I would return to Playa Del Carmen where we have enjoyed so many vacations in the past.

3 Thank JonixPaul
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed at the Occidental Grand (not royal club) from August 5th-11th for vacation and celebrating our first anniversary. I am a big trip advisor fan and thoroughly research every place I ever consider traveling to so no big surprises when arriving. I am also very laid-back person and it doesn't take a whole lot for me to relax and enjoy myself so no complaints here. The resort is beautiful, rooms are nice, AC works great, staff friendly and hard-working, beach was nice, good entertainment in the evenings, drinks were good, food was fine--never went hungry. We ate at both specialty restaurants and both were very nice and the food was great. Los Olivos is a little fancier--we had originally missed our reservation a few nights earlier and on a whim asked if they had any tables on a different night and they happily sat us--found everyone to be very accomodating.

We went off the resort a few times and I would recommend these activities: the sunset pirate cruiseship/dinner excursion is fun--take a cab into town and the ship leaves from the main pier from 6-9. Fun entertainment and good food. Not recommended for children or people who don't have a sense of humor! We rented a jeep and explored the island--went to Rasta's and Coconuts and into town for dinner. My husband went scuba diving in the Cenotes caves and was impressed with that excursion--it takes the entire day--he left at 6am and didn't return until 5pm that evening but well worth it. I did some painting on the beach one day--the lady that sells the pottery will take your 'masterpiece' home that night, detail it, glaze it, and bring it back the next day--beautiful souveniers!!

My FAVORITE night of the trip was the private candlit dinner down at the beach. I had heard about this on trip advisor and emailed Yamille (thank you Yamille--very helpful!) to reserve the night of our anniversary--$55 per person. I was expecting several tables down on the beach with different waiters. I was so presently surprised. There is a large gazebo on the end of the beach where they do massages and have weddings. We were told to be down there at 8:00. The pools are closed and nobody on the beach. They had a candlit pathway to the gazebo with a table set with china and rose petals, music playing, wine, etc. NOBODY else around. I have to give a HUGE THANK YOU TO ROGER. He works in the La Posada restaurant and served us pizzas everynight so I was happy he was our waiter at the private dinner. He served us wine, a 4 course AWESOME dinner--best food I had there--and ran back and forth. The restaurant that made the food is not anywhere near this end of the beach and he happily went back and forth to serve us. We really appreciated all his hard work and kindness. This was a really romantic setting and is a great place to celebrate an anniversary or something special.

Overall, great trip. I like trying different resorts so will probably try a new place next time in Cozumel but would definitely go back to the Occidental and would recommend it to anyone!

7 Thank Tara S
Chesham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Spent our honeymoon here - but we didn't buy into the honeymoon package - and stayed for 10 nights. Great arrival welcome and great staff in all parts of the hotel. Lovely big rooms with balcony and beach / pool area is nicely separated from the hotel by the walkway over the mangroves. Main buffet restaurant food was good and the lunch restaurant by the beach was excellent. Shame both a la carte restaurants which had to be booked had poor food and poor service. Great beach bar 10 mins walk away but beware of mega mossies while watching the sunset - hotel do great job of getting rid of the ones on site. Diving was brilliant and even snorkelling from beach you can see quite a few fishes. Snorkel gear was free to hire. Diving with the hotel cost 34dollars plus 7dollars for each bit of kit you need to hire - about right for cozumel. You can get a discount through hotel concierge guys if you sit through 90minutes of a time share sales pitch - as boring and tedious as it sounds! Recommend hiring a jeep for a couple of days to explore the island and escape the hotel bubble! Great place we found was the lighthouse Eco park with a crocodile viewing platform, stunning, rugged beaches and hammocks by the beach bar with very good staff. Went in mid August and found it nice and quiet.

Room Tip: Higher floor and on the outside facing the mangroves / forests.
1 Thank Tim R
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

FIrst of all I would like to say that this resort is on one of the best beaches on the island. The location is beautiful and the gardens and lush tropical mangroves are fantastic. We stayed in a non-Royal Club room and it was very nice. AC worked great. Yes, we found a few dead bugs but your are in a jungle people!! Please note: NO ROOMS ARE OCEAN VIEW due to the protected mangroves.

However, the food was in the bottom 25% of all the mexico reseorts I have stayed at by far. The food and seafood on the island is phenominal, but you would never know it staying at this resort. I think the resort tries too hard to cater "American" food and does a really poor job at it. They would be better off sticking to the local specialties of the region and doing them well. Also, the general buffet restaurants are not well airconditioned. So this time of year, prepare to eat and sweat for three meals a day.

The service at the pool, beach and bars were less than expected for this caliper of a resort. Mexico is known for there outstanding service and catering to their tourists. I felt like I was constantly standing in line waiting for a drink, waiting to be seated, etc. They did not have the waiters staffed appropriately to service all the guests, not even close.....

Overall, it was a decent stay. The fact that we hardly ate the horrible food and were never serviced, didn't make it worth the $$. My husband and I decided that we would probably not stay there again. Next time we will be travelers and really explore the island, outside of the "all-inclusive" cattle drive resorts, and probably spend half the cash on a more enjoyable vacation.

PS. Don't do the timeshare!! They will waste half of your day and grossly overcharge you for a ridiculous room!! You can find much better deals on line from other people selling theirs. Don't get suckered!!

3 Thank SPERRY8302