New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #23 of 50 Hotels in Cozumel
Chicago, Illinois
“Fantastic location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

This was our 3rd stay at the Occidental Grand - and again it was spectacular. The staff is really nice and accommodating - we were in touch with them through facebook and email and we got the room we wanted and they made us dinner reservations ahead of time. The resort is beautiful, luscious green, and make you feel a thousand miles away from home. Can't wait to visit again!

The only downside is no free wifi and the annoying sales people who want you to buy a timeshare - but you just have to ignore them and they leave you alone. The food is also average - if you are picky you might be unhappy but there is plenty to chose from. But the food is pretty much the same everyday - so go out to town and have a great meal there.

1 Thank MNKA17

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,023)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Myself and two dive buddies had a fabulous 10day stay at the Occidental Grand Cozumel. The staff were very friendly and helpful, we were left with a strong impression that nothing would have been a problem as their aim was to give us the best possible experience. I'm not much of a beech dweller, however it looked beautifully clean, the grounds, which are extensive are also well-kept. The pools have plenty of sun loungers and bars near by to quench that thurst!!!! Just a word of warning....... Do not feed the Iguana's, there is a sign, however it's not clearly displayed, two people had their fingers nipped whilst feeding them...... Ouch!!!!

If you are into Scuba diving, then this is a great base, the reefs are local, the jetty directly behind the hotel on the beech. We dived with "PRO DIVE" who were FANTASTIC!!!!!!! they're a five minute walk up the beech, however they'll pick you up and drop you off at the Occidental's jetty, they offer free Nitrox and have great staff who are always very helpful and they do their very best to accommodate for all levels of divers, I would certainly recommend them, look them up on the internet and make your enquiry to Huub or Geraldine.

Sadly I have to end on a negative note, the food in the Buffet restaurant which catered for Breakfasts and the majority of Evening meals wasn't very appetising, the range wasn't extensive and what was there really didn't do it for me, I don't regard myself as a fussy eater, but I struggled to have a good hearty evening meal during the whole time. We ended up booking the Speciality restaurants as often as we could, the food on these evenings were absolutely fantastic!!!!!

In summary, we had an excellent 10day trip, lovely hotel, great people, beautiful pools and beech, fantastic diving (Nurse Sharks, Turtles, Moray's, etc......), the only thing which stops this being a five star rating is the food in one of the two buffet restaurants.

Steve.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
11 Thank Scuba304
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

I checked out of the Grand Occidental yesterday on May 26th 2012 after a one week stay. We flew down with Air Canada Vacations out of Montreal. I would use Air Canada Vacations again as found the booking easy and the Air Canada rep at the Hotel was friendly and very informative.
I read many reviews of this hotel and before I arrived and I had a few concerns based on previous reviews, they were..

Food - It is true what SOME reviews say, the food is alright, but not great or fantastic. Breakfast is the best, lunch 2nd best and supper was usually a little disappointing. Each night was a new theme. There was... Mexican Night, Oriental Night, Italian Night, Caribbean Night, Yucatan Night, International Night....and I forgot the other one. The Oriental night was the worse. However the whole time during my stay I didn't once go hungry. For lunch they had Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Fajitas, Nachos, Fries, Pork chops, chicken breasts, etc.

Beds - What everyone says is true, the beds are really hard! I went to Italy a couple years back and I thought they had hard beds but they have nothing on the Occidental. I was really tired by the time I went to bed so I was able to sleep, but the next morning my back hurt a little. You're on vacation so just walk it off! haha

Customer Service - Everyone greeted you with a smile and was first to say " Hola Amigo!" they were not shy by any means.

Smell - Yeah the room smelt a bit musty, but it's Mexico and it's the Jungle! Get over it. It's not over powering and doesn't effect your stay at all.

The resort really was beautiful and I loved the jungle climate that also had the beach. There was so much wild life on the resort. Frogs, crabs, lizards, iguanas,many many birds and even a cat! I don't know where this cat comes from but it sits in front of Villa number 17 all the time.

Snorkeling right on the beach was fantastic! in 30 minutes we seen starfish, angel fish, Barracuda, moray Eel, weird fish with needles for noses! It was fantastic and all this was right on the beach.

I'm in my mid 20's and so is my partner. We don't drink Alcohol and don't party and this hotel fit the bill, it wasn't full of teens and young adults partying. There was no public drunkenness or any roudyness. If you're looking for a party hotel then look somewhere else, this truly is a place to relax and be around respectable people.

I think I would stay at this resort again, as nothing happened that deterred me. I had a great time and would recommend this for someone looking for a place to get away from it all.

2 Thank pilotboy1985
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

We have stayed at Occidental Grand many times and return every year, sometimes more than once a year. The staff at the resort is very friendly, including the bartenders, waiters/waitresses, maids, activities staff, Dive Palancar staff, etc. The beach is very nice with plenty of lounge chairs for everyone. The staff rake the sand every morning to make it look nice. The grounds at this resort are amazing. The staff is always taking care of the landscaping to keep it looking plush and beautiful.

4 Thank jorge007
Stryker OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

Travelled with adult daughters; enough entertainment for all of us. Great beach area offered plenty of space, beach chairs, free use of kayaks, wind surfers, & hobie cats for sailing. Not to be missed is the pottery lady beside the Beach Club (dining area) where you can paint your own pottery items or buy her beautifully painted finished pieces at reasonable prices. We spent an entire day there.

Food was good but could have been warmer at times. If you are staying more than 1 week, be aware that the menu repeats weekly so you might want to alternate day trips and dinner reservations to avoid too much repetition.

The 3-reef snorkeling trip offered at the dive shop was awesome and very reasonable! Loved our stay and hope to return.

Room Tip: Buildings 15-19 were most centrally located between the beach & main building w/ restaurants. T...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank TravelLover1947
McDonough, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

Like an oasis. Far from the busy part of cozumel. Food was fantastic :) Found our home away from home!!!!

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mary H
Salem
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

This was my first experience at a large All Inclusive Resort. I enjoyed the experience and the ease of having the meals included. I also enjoyed the opportunity to experience the evening entertainment (when I was still awake to enjoy) The Palancar Dive Center was the largest draw!! It was so convenient to the dives.. no long boat dives! The dive masters and boat staff were all wonderful. The Dive Gear Concierge program was such a bonus!! Javier and his team took great care of our gear.

The down side?
FOOD: The food itself was not the greatest. It tasted ok, but the presentation was poor. There was nothing special. The advertising spoke about 4 restaurants, but only one was open at a time. The specialty restaurants had a nice atmosphere, and we were able to enjoy that three times during our week, but we were not able to get the time we wanted any of the three times. I can't imagine how it would work when the during high season for the resort! Everything was overcrowded and slow during off season. The desserts were really the low point for me. I was at the resort to dive, and food was good enough to keep my energy up to do that.

BEDROOM: The bed was VERY hard! I woke up in pain, after a very restless night. Another guest suggested putting the bedspread under the sheet. I did that and slept much better. The size of the room and bathroom was great and the view of the jungle from our patio was beautiful. We enjoyed listening to the birds in the morning. Very quiet! I never heard other guests.

RESORT: The grounds were beautiful and I enjoyed walking to the different venues. The beach was great and well maintained, the pools were beautiful. I appreciated that Quiet Pool for afternoon relaxation.

ENTERTAINMENT: We enjoyed the Fire Show and the Pre-Hispanic show.

SCUBA DIVING: This is why we came to this resort! the Palancar Dive was GREAT! The boats were ok, and the staff was wondeful!! I will definitely come back here to dive again! Due to the fact that we didn't know which boat or dive crew we would have each day, my request for a smaller scuba tank was only realized on one dive.

INTERNET: Very expensive, so I did not use it. I enjoyed my week of being un plugged!

I will come back again.

Room Tip: We loved being on the third floor, even without an elevator, because the view of the jungle was so b...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends