“Ron & Mary”
Review of Occidental Cozumel

Occidental Cozumel
Ranked #21 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Travelled with adult daughters; enough entertainment for all of us. Great beach area offered plenty of space, beach chairs, free use of kayaks, wind surfers, & hobie cats for sailing. Not to be missed is the pottery lady beside the Beach Club (dining area) where you can paint your own pottery items or buy her beautifully painted finished pieces at reasonable prices. We spent an entire day there.

Food was good but could have been warmer at times. If you are staying more than 1 week, be aware that the menu repeats weekly so you might want to alternate day trips and dinner reservations to avoid too much repetition.

The 3-reef snorkeling trip offered at the dive shop was awesome and very reasonable! Loved our stay and hope to return.

Room Tip: Buildings 15-19 were most centrally located between the beach & main building w/ restaurants. T...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank TravelLover1947
There are newer reviews for Occidental Cozumel

Reviewed May 21, 2012

Like an oasis. Far from the busy part of cozumel. Food was fantastic :) Found our home away from home!!!!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mary H
Reviewed May 21, 2012

This was my first experience at a large All Inclusive Resort. I enjoyed the experience and the ease of having the meals included. I also enjoyed the opportunity to experience the evening entertainment (when I was still awake to enjoy) The Palancar Dive Center was the largest draw!! It was so convenient to the dives.. no long boat dives! The dive masters and boat staff were all wonderful. The Dive Gear Concierge program was such a bonus!! Javier and his team took great care of our gear.

The down side?
FOOD: The food itself was not the greatest. It tasted ok, but the presentation was poor. There was nothing special. The advertising spoke about 4 restaurants, but only one was open at a time. The specialty restaurants had a nice atmosphere, and we were able to enjoy that three times during our week, but we were not able to get the time we wanted any of the three times. I can't imagine how it would work when the during high season for the resort! Everything was overcrowded and slow during off season. The desserts were really the low point for me. I was at the resort to dive, and food was good enough to keep my energy up to do that.

BEDROOM: The bed was VERY hard! I woke up in pain, after a very restless night. Another guest suggested putting the bedspread under the sheet. I did that and slept much better. The size of the room and bathroom was great and the view of the jungle from our patio was beautiful. We enjoyed listening to the birds in the morning. Very quiet! I never heard other guests.

RESORT: The grounds were beautiful and I enjoyed walking to the different venues. The beach was great and well maintained, the pools were beautiful. I appreciated that Quiet Pool for afternoon relaxation.

ENTERTAINMENT: We enjoyed the Fire Show and the Pre-Hispanic show.

SCUBA DIVING: This is why we came to this resort! the Palancar Dive was GREAT! The boats were ok, and the staff was wondeful!! I will definitely come back here to dive again! Due to the fact that we didn't know which boat or dive crew we would have each day, my request for a smaller scuba tank was only realized on one dive.

INTERNET: Very expensive, so I did not use it. I enjoyed my week of being un plugged!

I will come back again.

Room Tip: We loved being on the third floor, even without an elevator, because the view of the jungle was so b...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank HopeF
Reviewed May 20, 2012

My wife and I got married here last summer. The resort was great!! Everything we needed we got, Ricardo helped plan everything and helped our group feel very welcome. The staff was very attentive and accomadating. They set up dinner for 40 people 3 different nights, they set up a night of poker for all of us, anything we needed we got. The beach was great, the pool was great, everything was perfect.

We would highly recommend this resort for a wedding, aniversary, or just a fun vacation!!

Room Tip: Stay in the club section, it's worth it!!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Will S
Reviewed May 19, 2012

we are members of the Occidental Club and have time planned every 2 years so because it was our year this year we went to Cozumel me and husband, mid thirties and 2 kids, 11 and almost 6-looking forward to this for very long time and after having stayed in Royal Club in the Occidental Grand XCARET and the Royal Club at Occidental Grand Punta Cana in DR, i had very high expectations of this Royal Club-maybe that was the problem, having experienced greatness made it difficult for htis property to compete-the food was horrible in the Royal Club so we ended up eating in the buffet section overlooking the ocean-it was barely ok-but the view made up for it-the problem was that the buffet is only open for lunch and sometimes, dinner-so for breakfast, when most people on vacation want to sit by the water whle having breakfast, your only option is a buffet inside the resort, dark and claustrophobic-you can be anywhere, maybe even a mall-so that was dissapointing-the breakfast in the Royal Club was no better, since it had no view-just a viw of the yacuzzi while the other Royal Clubs were overloking the water. The main pool was the main attraction, right on the beach-beautiful! but the bar if you can call it that-was a man made hut with a few bottles they rolled in every day-we are used to the swim up bars...so this was different-this hotel is quaint not grand-which is not bad just different than what we were used to-the bar always opened late and the drinks were watery and beer warm and flat but hey, you can drink as much as you can so who cares. the resort is very lively, the pool is full of activities, the kids entertainer Abby is wonderful and kept the kids busy and having fun-snorlkling is unreal-take the boat and your life will change forever-the water out there in the ocean for snorkling trip was rough but the experience amazing and worth every penny-the staff is nice and polite-the beds are HARD AS CEMENT-be prepared for sleepless nights-of all the Occidentals i would reccomend the one in xcaret although the man made beach is blah but the resort and the Royal Club is UNREAL! the Occidental Grand Punta Cana is also amazing-but only the Royal Club becasue the food in the resort is not edible! i lived on beer and bread for the first 2 nights until we moved to the Royal Club-Cozumel is beautiful and the hotel, if you are looking for quaint, fun, friendly beautiful beach, and if you dont expect much of the food-this is a great place. Oh andwhat's up with listening to Tina Turner and Bon Jovi by the pool-we are MEXICO! for that i can stay in my backyard-so the music kinda bumbed us out at times...

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank kimbaru
Reviewed May 18, 2012

My hubby and I have just returned from a 10 night stay in the Royal Club. The Occidental is charming and the staff the friendliest I've ever come across in an all inc resort. Our room on the second floor was large, had a mini fridge which was replenished daily, a table with a couple of chairs and balcony with table and chairs. The bathroom was huge with a spa bath and a massive separate shower. The shower is very strong. They obviously have no problems with water pressure and we never ran out of hot water even at peak times. There is a double wardrobe situated in the bathroom and a safe. If you have room 2022 look out for the huge land crab at the bottom of the tree ( it’s OK, you’re on the second floor … phew) and the racoon that visited at night to eat the berries off the tree right next to the balcony. You could almost touch it. Very cool!!
I’ve read a lot of negativity on the forum regarding the food. Well I’m a “really” fussy eater but there was always at least two/three options that I liked at the buffet in the evenings. The Beach Club serves lunch and again always found something I liked. Try the ice cream, I swear its home made. Breakfast is excellent. Try the omelettes. Very scrummy.
The beach is beautiful and the sea a beautiful clear blue. There are lots of fish to see snorkelling. The Dive shop offers all kinds of free activities from windsailing to organising diving excursions at a price.
The activity pool (busy) and relax pool (normally very quiet) are very clean. You see the staff add chemicals in the evenings. The pool at the Royal Club is a nice way to end the day before changing for dinner. People didn’t seem to get dressed up for the buffet meals but there is a dress code in place at the al a carte restaurants.
The grounds are stunning and well kept. Not sure I was keen on the piped music but it wasn’t too loud.
We celebrated my hubby’s 50th birthday and our wedding anniversary. We booked the al a carte restaurant for his birthday and without even asking the staff came out with a birthday cake and sang happy birthday. On our anniversary a cake and bottle of champagne arrived in our room unannounced. It was a lovely touch and made us feel very special. Oh, and they also put a birthday banner on the door with balloons.
I really can’t find anything negative to say about the Occidental. If you need to de-stress, relax and like a friendly atmosphere I highly recommend this place. We had a great time :-)

Room Tip: I would opt for Royal Club and go for 2nd/3rd floor.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Excited1Uk
Reviewed May 18, 2012

It was one of the best vacation that i had in Cozumel,i meet people all over the world in the resort the beach was awsome .

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple