“Don't be fooled by the beautiful location, hotel is run by theives and food situation is very bad.”
Review of Occidental Cozumel

Occidental Cozumel
Ranked #19 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed June 1, 2011

We stayed for four nights and were told every day that no reservations were available to us and we would have to eat the buffet. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner were all like cafeteria food. Disgusting. If you pay extra to be in their Royal Club they are more likely to give you a reservation at one of the two restaurants they have open each night for dinner.

We hung their sign on our doorknob not to come in the room at any point to clean or change because we were wary of the maids stealing, and they still managed to come in and steal the one dress I bought and had hanging in the closet. I wore it the first night and it vanished promptly the next morning while I was at the beach. They management did not care and told us we would have to ride to the next town to file a police report.

And worst of all, I filled the bath tub one night and when I came back to check it the tub was filled with dark brown water. I even took a picture it was so disgusting. The bartender told us not to drink out of the faucets because people got cholera that way.

The only good thing is that the scuba diving and reef are right next to the property.

Don't stay at this place.

2  Thank wwrrkd
OccidentalCozumel, General Manager at Occidental Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your stay, we appreciate your taking the time to write your comments.
In Occidental Grand Cozumel we are very concerned about our guest’s security, When we received a report of lost items, the Manager on duty and our security department starts an investigation. Also the hotel has a video security system 24 hours a day, locks room are computerized to check tracks history and our security policies do not allow our staff to enter to the hotel with any belonging without registering it first. Also when they leave the hotel they have to go through a revision.
I will be very pleased if you contact me at agerenciaogc@mx.occidentalhotels.com to share into detail.
We are sorry about the inconvenience that you encountered during your stay in our hotel and we appreciate your comments since this is the only way we can improve our services.
We hope to have a second opportunity in the near future.
General Manager Occidental Cozumel

Write a ReviewReviews (5,021)

Reviewed May 31, 2011

We stayed at the occidental grand in Cozumel from May 2, 2011 to May 6, 2011. We went to Cozumel for our honeymoon and were looking forward to relaxing with each other. We booked our trip through American Express travel and they set us up with the honeymoon deluxe package. When we arrived at the resort, we got out of the cab, unloaded our bags from the cab and proceeded to the welcome desk. We were given a glass of champagne to sip while the agent was checking us in. The agent explained to us the different restaurants and bars that were on the resort. We were really suprised to learn that the only place to eat lunch on the resort was at the lunch buffet down by the water. He also told us that we were a little early and we couldn't go to our room just yet. This was about 12:30 and our itinerary said check in was at 3:00. No big deal we thought, we will just explore the resort in our long pants and with our carry on luggage. We went down to the lunch buffet to get some lunch. The food was less than average and the margaritas were terrible. We ate a little bit and then made our way over to the beach to relax as best we could in our travel attire. We finished our first strawberry dacquari (very good) and waited for the drink server to come by. To our suprise, the resort does not bring you drinks, you've got to get them yourlself at the bar by the pool. After laying on the beach until 2:45 we made our way back to the front so we could get in our room. We had the agent check to see if our room was available and he said it would be another 45 minutes to an hour. We finally checked in around four o'clock. We were extatic to have room keys in our hands. We asked for the bell boy so he could bring our luggage to our room. Unfortunately, he was nowhere to be found. We located our luggage, grabbed it ourselves and made our way to the room. The bell boy met us half way with the cart and helped us out. This far the trip hasn't been perfect, but we were going to make the best of it.

The room was ok. The air conditioner didn't really work to well and the phone did not work at all. The king bed was hard as a rock, but we were thankful to be in our room after a long morning of traveling.

The dinner buffet was about the same as the lunch buffet. We checked on our dinner reservations for later in the week and we also wanted to make additional reservations. The resort would only let us make two reservations per week for any restaurant on the resort. The carribean restaurant had no air conditioning the night of our reservation. The food was good, but the heat was horrible. The steak house was ok. The filet was tough and there wasn't much flavor in many of the dishes. We were told that we could eat at the pizzeria and the dinner buffet without a reservation. We went to the pizzeria with this understanding and the host told us that we had to have a reservation.

Unfortunately, room service was not available to us as advertised. I asked about it and the agent said only the Royal Club guests were extended this service. We were very dissapointed. (I was really looking forward to room service)

There are two fountain pools as you walk from the main building to the rooms. The pools had about 6 inches of green water in them with leaves floating on top. At the end of our trip we saw a worker beginning to clean them.

The beaches were beautiful and the beach chairs were great.

Everyday, huge lizards roamed about the resort around noon. We enjoyed being suprised by lizards during our stay.

There is a bridge on the way to the activities pool and beach that you must cross. Be careful on the bridge! The boards are different sizes and create a substantial tripping hazard. There were also rotten boards and missing handrails.

The resort is about 7 miles away from downtown Cozumel, so cab rides downtown were expensive (about $20 US one way).

This resort is an okay a place to stay, but if you are expecting a great all inclusive experience, we suggest that you look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms on the east side of the resort

Dear Guest,
First of all thank you for choosing Occidental Grand Cozumel as your Holiday place.
I regret to read that we did not meet your complete satisfaction. I can assure you that one of the main goals of our respective teams in all departments is to work on a daily basis to constantly improve our services and guest satisfaction.
I thank you again for the interest of sharing your experience, as it is our wish to excel in every aspect of our facilities and operation, this can only be accomplished by correcting the deficiencies which are brought to our attention through the positive and constructive comments, we will revised in detail the issues that you are mentioned.
On behalf of our staff we would like to apologize again for any inconvenience we may have caused.

Reviewed May 31, 2011

Whatever you do, avoid the timeshare presentation. We didn't and it really affected the beginning of our stay. We thought the timeshare people were incredibly rude, dishonest and obnoxious and we had to ask repeatedly for our "free" jeep rental for days after we were told we'd get a coupon. By the way, I'll just spare you the time and tell you that they want $40,000.00 plus $275.00/year for 25 years for the lowest end time share without food or flight included. We talked to a couple that were there on their honeymoon for the same price we paid and they had a timeshare allowing them to stay for "free". They also flew out of a MUCH larger airport than we did so I know their flight couldn't have been as expensive as ours. Basically they just jack up the cost of the food to cover the room and tell you you're staying for free. Total scam!

Anyway, after the timeshare mess, we were able to enjoy the good but limited food selections, clean room, excellent restaurant service and wonderful beach. We've stayed at other places on Coz and this one has the nicest beach and rooms. They allowed us to eat at their exclusive restaurant for our anniversary (normally unless you stay at the Royal Club you don't have access to this restaurant) and it was excellent! They also delivered chocolate covered strawberries and champaign to our room for our anniversary.

We were not able to dive this time due to a nasty ear infection so I can't comment on dive Palancar but I didn't hear anyone complaining. There is really good snokeling off the beach. We saw a squid, eel, 3 lobsters, a huge baraccuda (at least 4 feet), shrimp, a cute flounder and tons of other fish. It is worth it to take the time and look around the whole area concentrating on places where they placed concrete to create an artifical reef.

Room Tip: I'd ask to be in building 19.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
OccidentalCozumel, General Manager at Occidental Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind review regarding your recent stay with us. Your comments and observations are very important to us. We must apologize if the attitude of someone of the Vacations Club staff has been found inappropriate, Rest assured that your comments have been transferred to the Vacation Club Director so that corrective measures can be taken.
We really appreciate your value feedback and hope to host you again soon.

Reviewed May 31, 2011

We stayed from May 18-25 and had a very relaxing vacation. The rooms were clean, the food was average. I agree the beds were hard as rock, but the mojitos were great! I was disappointed that the margaritas were terrible! They tasted bitter for some reason. I liked the restaurant for lunch looking out over the beach and ocean. One thing that we were annoyed about was the sales people everyday hounding us when we went up to the main building. You would think after a few days they would get the hint that we weren't interested. All in all it was a good holiday but I probably wouldn't stay here again because of the salespeople bugging us all the time.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing Occidental Grand Cozumel as your holiday place.
I am glad to read that you had a very relaxing vacation. I have taken notes of your positive observations that will be reviewed in our general heads meeting; also I am forwarding your comments to the Vacation Club Director so that corrective measures can be taken.
Once again we appreciate sharing your experiences and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed May 25, 2011

Room: The beds were comfortable and even though some people have said that they were hard, I honestly didn't notice because I slept like a baby every night. The rooms were also very clean.

Food:

Breakfast: At “La Posada” I felt like there was a good variety of what you could eat for breakfast. For example there was oatmeal, a few different kids of cereal, omelet, hard boiled eggs, sunny side up eggs, bacon, hash browns, yogurt, different types of fruit and my favorite pancakes and waffles with different types of syrup, nutella and many other toppings. Now, if you don't think that's a good breakfast than I don't know what is.

Lunch: Lunch was at the beach restaurant and once again you have a great assortment of different types of foods to eat. There was salsa, guacamole, burgers, fruits, potatoes, fries, fajitas, grilled chicken, ice cream, different types of cakes and whatever else they had going on. Believe me I never felt hungry!

Dinner: Dinner was either going to be at one of the “a la carte” restaurants or at the “la posada” where you had breakfast in the morning. A la carte restaurants were fabulous. One of the a la carte restaurants called “the piazza” offered everyday from 9pm to 1:30am that you could come up and eat, it was basically open to anyone for a midnight snack or if you felt like you didn't have enough during dinner.

Drinks: They can make an drink possible and they are delicious. You should try the tequila boom boom...it's good stuff. I had it on my birthday without warning and let's just say it was hilarious!!

Staff: AMAZING!!!!
I have never met such nicer people in my life, I know that's a huge statement to make but it's sooo true!! They were fun to be around, always had a smile on their face and just overall my family and I couldn't have been happier. An example of how they were amazing is: I'm allergic to milk, so on the first day that I was there I asked one of the ladies at “la posada” if they had either soy milk or something that wouldn't make me sick. She went and got me powdered milk and everyday that I came down for breakfast she would always ask me if I needed “leche pobre.” My family also wanted warm milk all the time and this wonderful lady would always bring us our “leche caliente.” They definitely care about each one of the visitors and want to make our stay a wonderful one. They went beyond that for me and my family.

My Birthday: Before coming on vacation my sister-in-law had emailed Ricardo (management at the front desk) regarding my birthday falling on one of the days while on vacation. She had asked his about what they could do to make that day a special one for me. It was the BEST birthday I could have ever asked for!!! My door got decorated with balloons and a sign. I got champagne and strawberries. My name was on TV and on the itinerary for the day (thanks to my family). AND best of all when we went out for dinner that night for my birthday at the steak house, they had a birthday cake made for me and it was so delicious...and special! The DJ played a birthday song for me at the disco and I got a birthday hat! With the help from my sister-in-law and family the staff really went out of their way to make my birthday a special one.

Snorkeling at the beach: Such a beautiful/clean/sandy beach. Me and my husband have never snorkeled before so it was a good place to learn a bit before doing the 3 reef snorkeling. While we were snorkeling at the beach we got to see a baby stingray, little fish and if you go a bit deeper you get to see like hundreds of fish together where they surround the resort barracuda.

Adventures Outside of resort

1) Jeep Tour: Our whole family went on the jeep tour so it was awesome to tour the island with the people you enjoy being around and the people you love. We climbed to the top of a lighthouse (the view is to die for), saw alligators, drove down the east side of the island, Mayan ruins in Cozumel not the main land, tequila factory, lunch and snorkeling. It was a good tour to do because we got to experience the whole island, which was nice....and I figured when would you get a chance to do something like this again.

2) 3 Reef Snorkeling: Again, since me and my husband have never snorkeled before this we thought the reefs were nice to see. The first reef was the starfish reef which was beautiful to look at and cool to see. The second reef was my favorite because we got to see a big turtle and a nerf shark which was so amazing to see. The third reef was more coral which was nice to see as well. If we wouldn't have gotten to see the turtle and shark I don't think I would have felt the same about this trip.

3)Chankanaab national park: Very nice park. We went there to go swimming with the dolphins. We did the royal swim which was amazing. If you like this sort of thing I think you will have a good time. We also got to get in the water with the manatees which was a cool experience as well. The only thing is they have a photographer taking pictures of you while your swimming/interacting with the dolphins and at the end of it all they charge $95 if you want all of your pictures with the dolphins on a CD and if you only want one picture it's $25. We ended up using a water camera and I got some good pictures with that. Snorkeling at Chankanaab was good, but I think I expected more. The seal show was awesome and I definitely recommend you take the time to see it. Walking around the park is nice too, very jungle like and nice to look at.

2  Thank Anja_Salijevic

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your stay and detailed review of our hotel.
I am very pleased to read that our beaches and accommodations met your expectations; greatly we see that you think our staff was “AMAZING”, I can assure you we will recognize all our staff who did the best to make this time very special for you, specially Ricardo.

Reviewed May 25, 2011

I have been to this resort now four times, and absolutely love the experience. The last three including our trip on May 14-22 we stayed in the Royal Club portion of the resort...an extra I recommend. The Royal Club has it's own restaurant and offers concierge level service.
We dined in the Royal Club for breakfast most days, and did venture to the buffet twice. The breakfast buffet is good, and I especially enjoyed having the omlette station...the woman cooking made my omlette with egg whites as asked and both times were perfect!
Food overall in the resort is okay, not fabulous...but compared to other all inclusive resorts it is in line with the competition. We did drive into town several times for dinner, as well as dine in the specialty restaurants of the OGC. I like the food at Los Olivos the best, and the pizza at La Piazza the least. La Piazza has charm and is rooftop with a great breeze...so definitely go for the experience...but be warned the pizza is not good.
Otherwise the beach, pool areas, room in the Royal Club and every other part of the experience was wonderful. The resort grounds are very pretty and make a nice morning walk.
We are returning to Cozumel in a few weeks to close on a home we bought on the island. I still plan to visit OGC even during the months we live on the island....it is a great place to be!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Royal Club
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
OccidentalCozumel, General Manager at Occidental Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your stay and feedback, I am pleased to know that you had a great experience at our Royal Club in this your fourth visit.
We will certainly look into the points you have mentioned and will take them into consideration. Thank you again and we will be more than pleased to host you back in this you home in Cozumel.

Reviewed May 22, 2011

We checked in to the Occidental Grand on May 14th for a 7-day stay. We are members of the Allegro Vacation Club, but this was not our year to use it. When we got there we were surprised to learn that we would be staying at the Royal Club. We were greeted at the Front Lobby, had a glass of champagne and then escored to the Royal Club where check in was easy and flawless. We had arrived before check-in time and had lunch at the Royal Club restaurant. Lunch was very good, when we were finished our room was ready. Large room with a king bed, bathroom was large and spacious. It did have the musty smell, turned the AC down and we did not notice the smell after in the room a while. Mini fridge was completely stocked. There was a bottle of vodka, a bottle of tequila and a bottle of run as well as a bowl of fresh fruit was waiting on the table.

Next day we just hung around the hotel, enjoying the beach, pool and made our tour arraingements. Feista Tours surved us very well. The tour we had scheduled for Friday we cancelled about 4 hrs, before the tour and we got a full refund although the paper work say you need 24 hrs for full refund. Sunday we also made are reservations for the resturants. By the end of the week we had hit all of them except the pizza shop. Honestly after reading the review on Trip Advisor we did not expect much. Surprise---the food was tasty and well pepraired. Menus changed every day at the buffet. Same menues at the al la carte resturante each day but the set up is you can only use them for so many evenings depending on your length of stay.

The staff was the best part of the hotel. Very frendly and always willing to help.

The biggest grip was the drinks. WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, and definitely bottom shelf liquor. Even when I ask for more rum, tequila, vodka and gave thm a tip. The other gripe -to go to town cost you $34 round trip. Most tours start in town so add the cost to the price of the tour.
The beach was clean and the pools. The staff was constantly cleaning and doing maintennance to the grounds. We are not sun people but found pleanty of shade on the beach and the relaxation pool. The bed was on the stiff side but we sleep well.

For a nice relaxing time I would go back again.

2  Thank TravelTom2893

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your stay and for taking the time to share your thoughts.
I am very happy indeed to read that you had a very good time during your stay with us.
Thank you very much for your positive comments that will be taken into our heads staff meeting; greatly I see that you feel “The staff was the best part of the hotel”
We look forward to welcoming you back home during your next visit to Cozumel.