“The Grand is Grand and I should know!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Occidental Cozumel

Occidental Cozumel
Ranked #25 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Breckenridge, Colorado
“The Grand is Grand and I should know!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2011

So here we go. I feel I do have a good eye for detail but not an ability for putting it into words. I work in the tourism industry as well as holding a professional culinary degree. I have traveled in Mexico (both sides), Central America, Jamaica, Africa, Canada, all over the U. S. and have stayed at 5 different "All Inclusive". I also feel that an individual is more responsible for how much they enjoy their vacation than the hotel they visit however I can't say enough about how the staff at the Grand went out of there way to make our vacation one of the most memorable we have ever had and we will without a doubt (God willing) return!!
TRAVELERS,
Myself, my wife and three girls 5 ,8, 10 and one mother in law
CHECKING IN
Everything went great. We had two rooms reserved for me, my wife, three kids and another for my mother in law. I was concerned that we had two adjoining rooms because our kids are young so I called the hotel one month in advance and made sure they knew of my request and sure enough we had two adjoining rooms and mom in law was just upstairs from us (just perfect). My wife was hoping for a ground level room and that is exactly what they gave us. The bell hop took our bags gladly to the room and made sure everything was OK (don't forget to tip they work so hard). Oh I can't forget to mention the great glass of champagne we we served upon arrival, I'm sure it wasn't the best quality but it hit the spot perfectly!!!
ROOMS
Wow big and roomy. We had one room with a king bed and two doubles in the other, just perfect. The bathrooms are huge and have separate tubs and showers. The shower is unbelievable, endless hot water and amazing water pressure----enjoy. We Generally do not use air conditioning while in Mexico but we do turn it on during the day so that while we are getting ready for dinner we don't sweat to death so I'm prob not the best to comment on the air conditioning. At night the ceiling fan and the open sliding glass door was perfect. House keeping did a great job and of course I tipped them (50 pesos per room per day). The fridge was restocked every day except for the last three not sure why.
TIME SHARE PEOPLE
First I must say I have never had a problem anywhere with this, I am just direct and let them know I am not interested. That being said anyone saying that they are pushy here must have stayed somewhere ells. Our concierge who I know are put there to try and get you to do the time share deal helped us any way to make reservations for a horseback ride at Mr. Sancho's for a great price with no strings attached WOW how refreshing.
GROUNDS
Clean and beautiful. Me and my wife loved the cozy feeling that you get from the surrounding jungle and it also helps the resort to feel less crowded. And don't worry about the bridge to the beach it is safe and not very far and it's great for getting some stinking exercise.
BEACH AND POOLS
We stayed last time at the Allegro just up the beach so we knew what to expect and it was great. Beach is amazing great snorkeling and the pools are just big enough and allot of fun. Just a quick but important note about the pool area, the activity staff at the pools are amazing. Abby went out of her way to do things with our girls and we can't say enough good things about her. Give her a raise!!!!!!
BARS
I don't think drinking should be the main focus but I do like some good cocktails while in Mexico. There are bars at the beach, lunch buffet, and lobby. Sometimes there is a line at the beach bar but so what, plan ahead bring a larger insulated cup and go to get a drink less often. Tip---in the morning go up to the front deck and get a copy of the resort paper "Sunset News" and see what's happening for that day and make sure and try the two drinks of the day to widen your horizons. One thing I should mention is that they don't really have a good selection of top shelf but it is better in the lobby bar and in the lunch buffet bar. As far as the wine is concerned it isn't great but drinkable I don't go to Mexico for wine I would go to France or Napa for that. We did pick some wine up at Mega on the way in and the restaurants were more than happy to cork it for us when we asked. One last thing tip the bartenders as well they work really hard for you.
RESTURANTS
Lets get the ala carts out of the way first. We only ate at Los Olivos one time, reservations were not hard to get (tip that dude too it helps) I thought the food was just OK but my wife and mother in law thought it was great. One note on Los Olivos is that we were going to be late for the fire show if we had desert and they told us to go to the show and they would bring desert to our rooms which is just what they did --- WOW.
The buffets are great, always allot of tasty food. Lucia was always cooking something great at her cook station at dinner and oh what a sweet and cheerful woman. Our waitress Crystal in the morning was always so cheerful and helpful. The lunch buffet always had great freshly grilled burgers and many other tidbits to eat. Tip --- the coconut ice cream is wonderful. Pizza is served from 9pm till 1:30 am on the roof so make sure you try it out --not bad pizza and how romantic!! Once again make sure you tip your wait staff they deserve it!! One last note I had the pleasure of meeting the executive chef whose name is now escaping me but talk about a person who is there from morning until night always attentive to what is going on and what the needs of the guest are, he even came up when my wife was having problems communicating with an employee just to get things set right and showed great interest in seeing snowy pictures of our home in Colorado.
DIVE SHOP
Well we didn't go diving but we did snorkel and I went deep sea fishing with a crazy Canadian and his well mannered son. Just so happens the crew with Dive Palancar that was at the Allegro last time we were there were now at the Grand so we had familiar faces to see such as Burrow and Juan. Had a great fishing trip, caught 3 Mahi Mahi and 1 Wahoo. When we got back Burrow once again gave me a sail boat ride down to Alberto's to drop the fish off and we had an incredible dinner that night. Don't forget to tip those guys either they do a great job.

One suggestion for the resort would be to do simple coffee service in the morning out at the lunch buffet restaurant on the beach from lets say 6:30 am till 8:30 am ---- what do you think?

You prob have noticed I have mentioned tipping allot and I don't want anyone to think I am for buying people off to be nice to me but I do believe in showing appreciation for the things people do for me and my family and in return people go out of there way to serve you. Don't forget it!!!

If any one has a specific question feel free to send me a note.

So to sum up the trip LOVED IT AND CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK TO THE GRAND!!!!!!
And may God bless all of the people who served my family while we were there!!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank cozogoer
AllegroCozumel, General Manager at Occidental Cozumel, responded to this review, April 26, 2011
Dear Guest,
I am pleased to learn we provided a flawless experience through the duration of your stay at Occidental Grand.
I appreciate your kind recommendations of our hotel and services; I will share your value comments with our staff. Thank you for mentioning Lucia and Cristal they will be recognize in our monthly general staff meeting.
On behave of the team and myself we look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Cozumel.
Yours sincerely
General Manager Occidental Cozumel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,100)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed for a week at the Occidental Grande and it was spectacular! My only complaints were usually about ignorant tourists, but that's always to be expected wherever you go.
The rooms were spacious and beautiful. The bathrooms were incredible, with marble everything, including the huge shower. A thing to note: C= Caliente which is hot. F= Frio which is cold :) Two pools, one quiet, one loud. Both beautiful. I wished there were swim up bars, but that's just me being lazy. The food was always decent, and always a good spread. For an all-inclusive it was very good. You cannot expect to be getting food from a ritzy restaurant people. It's a buffet, and it's all inclusive...do the math. But we always found something we liked, and always left full. You can make reservations for some of the sit down restaurants that weren't buffets, but we were always doing something and never had the chance to make reservations. That process was a bit of a pain because you had to line up at 9am in the morning to make reservations and that was the only time you could do it.
I loved the layout. I heard many super lazy tourists complaining about the walk to the beach, but we loved it. There were fountains along the way, and lush jungle with iguanas running about, and the coolest wooden bridge across the mangrove area (where in the rainy season you apparently see turtles and crocodiles...how cool!) If you are lazy and don't like walking, don't stay here. Stay in one of the high rise hotels that have elevators which will dump you out onto a beach.
Regarding the "time share guys" we did it because we wanted to do several of the tours, which are expensive (Chichen Itza, and Dolphins...and also wanted to rent a car). Basically the guys get you to accept an "invitation" to sit down and listen to the information usually for the next day. You then go the next day and get a quick tour of one of the suites you can purchase, and then listen to the breakdown of all of the places you can stay with the purchase. It was completely painless, and when we said no at the end when he laid out how much it was going to be he was fine, and understood. No pressuring us, no forcing us to say yes. And then we got to go on all of the tours, and get a car rental...basically saving about $300. WELL WORTH IT to just sit an listen for about 1 hour.
Definitely go into San Miguel. It is a cute little town, lots of shopping. If you want to do a little bargaining to get your souvenirs for less, go to the shops that are about 1-2 blocks back from the main line. You don't even usually have to try to bargain, pick something up, ask how much, and then say thank you and start walking away and they'll immediately start talking it down :) Great people though, and always very friendly and nice even if you didn't want to purchase. SPEAK SPANISH TO THEM if you can. They appreciate it so much, and they are always so impressed. Even if it is a little. Remember, you are not in the states, and English is not the main language so don't get irritated when people don't speak it.
Also, pesos and dollars both use the $ symbol. If you pick up a souvenir that says $100, it's probably in pesos, which means it's roughly $10 dollars.
My only suggestion is to the tourists to try to leave some of your ignorance and entitlement behind in the states.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Moestar25
Dear Guest,
I am glad you enjoyed your holiday with us. Our main goal is guest satisfaction. We have taken notes to your pleasant recommendations.
We hope to welcome you and your family back in the near future.
Yours Sincerely
JmFiguereof
General Manager Occidental Cozumel
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

This resort is perfect for couples or families who loves being in a secluded place instead of the big high-rise resorts found downtown. The multiple small buildings are separated by forests and gardens and there are many pools, each providing different experiences (relaxation, pool games, tanning) The staff is very friendly and the location: simply amazing. Cozumel turquoise water is a diver's paradise. Driving Jeeps, Beetles and scooters around the Island makes is so easy to visit endless beaches without the traffic. Rooms were well equipped and very clean. On a constructive note: Mexican wine is a no-no (its very warm & sweet) stick with Cervezas and Tequilas instead! I think the Hotel needs to upgrade the food experience to match the quality of this destination. Its good, but uneventful. Air conditioning onsite is low, but I'd rather see this than being cold upon eating inside. We are also glad we visited around as the waves made swimming from the beach a bit too "sandy" for 3-4 days. Other beaches on the south (no resorts though) were a real paradise. Go dive in Palencar. I would definitely go back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: All rooms are pretty much equal. No Royal needed
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank attaboyKTM
AllegroCozumel, General Manager at Occidental Cozumel, responded to this review, April 13, 2011
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased that you like the layout of the property, as you may Know it is situated in a protected natural area.

Thank you very much for pointing out your experiences which are most valuable and we will take into consideration.

we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Your Sincerelly
General Manager Grand Cozumel
El Dorado Hills, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2011

We were a group of 8, 4 couples, and all agreed we'd return next year! The resort was beautiful, the rooms big, quiet, very nice (beds could be softer though) and service great! Each morning coffee and pastries were delivered to our building's cluster in the atrium area. Was so nice and convenient! Also, extra towels and beverages, were kept in a storage closet on the 2nd floor of our building cluster if we needed them. We were in building 18 which was very convenient to the pool and beach areas.
We enjoyed the water and beach volleyball as well as the water polo games organized by hotel staff. We also enjoyed using the Hobie Cat available on the beach at no cost if you sail or, for a small fee, a hotel employee will take you for a ride. Two of our party took a sail boat ride with the staff for $10 each and it lasted 2 hours. They had a fantastic time!
Palancar Dive Shop is located onsite and organized all of our dives. They are by far the best dive company on the island. We thoroughly enjoyed all of our dives (32 total) and wouldn't go with anyone else! The hotel pool has an introduction to scuba each day by the pool for those not yet enjoying this hobby!
The food is good (not great) but there were no complaints from our party. We also ate at each of the hotel's two reservation only eateries. Both were good.
We also went into to town one day (cost was $40 each way by taxi for 8 of us). We shopped most of the day, then had dinner at Prima's. It was dellicious as usual (we have visited this island 5 times and each time go to Prima's for surf and turf and lobster fettucine). Very good!
My only complaints would be that air conditioning in the restaurants was lacking - especially the buffet area and the gym was not that great with not enough air conditioning either..

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear guest,

Thank yoo for choosing our hotel for your holiday Place.
Greatly i receive your review and be sure we will taken in earnest to continously improve our service.
We hope you contact us next year to grant your stay requests.
Thanks aqain for you coments.

Your sincerelly
General Manager Grand Cozumel
Toronto area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2011

My husband and I visited this resort 6 years ago for the first time - 6 months after a big hurricane hit Mexico's coast and only 1 year after it had originally opened. The first thing we noticed is that when you are walking through the main body of the resort, it is like being in a rainforest. Lots of lush tropical trees and gardens. Can be pretty, but it makes it difficult for the ocean breezes to keep things cooler. Found it very humid near the main buffet/front desk area because of this.

The hotel rooms have obviously aged a bit in the past 6 years, but all in all it was as we remembered it. This time we were travelling with our nearly-two year old son and had an ajoining room on the 1st floor for Grandma (she helped babysit as the kids club is for 4 and up). The bed is hard, but very comfortable even for someone who likes a soft pillow top bed. The room did have a slight smell due to the humidity, but it was not terrible and might be less noticible in 2nd or 3rd floor rooms.

The shower still was amazing - BIG and great water pressure! Only downside was the water had a slight smell of Sulphur.

Due to our flight leaving late on our return, and having a child who needs an afternoon nap, we paid $30 for a 3 pm check-out in the ajoining room (was not allowed in the King room due to demand) - not a problem.

Our little guy loved the pool and beach - nice white sand and the pool's knee deep kids section is connected to the main beach pool. There is also a 4 inch deep section of the main pool that the kids can walk through too before it drops off into the 41/2 feet of water of the main pool. There were several other families with similarly aged children so it was nice to see them all playing and learning to share!

The food in the buffet is okay - I have a picky little boy and was always able to find something for him to eat for all 3 meals. The breakfast omlette station is great and where most buffets have fake scrambled eggs for the buffet, this one uses real eggs so you don't have to stand in line if you are only after real scrambled eggs. Bacon was served all but one morning, and my husband asked for it on the one day it was not on the buffet and was brought out a 1/2 plate full of bacon for him. Lunch buffet is great - a good sized salad bar which had a pretty good selection of basic salad makings and the nachos are great. There is also a BBQ with real beef hamburgers that in our experience were always cooked through. Dinner in the ala carte is a must. The food is much better than in the buffet (which is still okay). We preferred the Los Olivos - my husband did have a steak in both resaurants and one was great the other one was tough, so it appears the quality of the steak can vary. My dinners were great and they made chicken fingers and sweet potatoe fries special for my son.

The staff is mostly great. My only one complaint is one of the female hostesses - every morning we would go to breakfast and lunch and see her. Every day we would say 3 plus a baby and we need a high chair please. Out of 13 sittings she probably only brought us a high chair 4 times. We constantly had to ask one of the other bus boys or staff for a chair - if one wasnt visible (which we would get ourselves). When I would say we needed a high chair 2 or 3 times to ensure she remembered prior to sitting other guests, she would be quite irritated and ignore my request anyway. The same hostess told us they were all out of ketchup and wouldnt' be getting any until late morning - and another waiter when asked brought us some right away. She was really the only lost cause there though.

The only other thing I would complain about is that I do not feel that they cleaned the pools enough. Normally I see staff cleaning and testing the water early in the morning, and despite being up every day at 630 this was not the case. 2 times there was a pool guy in the kids pool cleaning the tiles at the water line of the "scum" that accumulates from sunscreen/skin etc but on at least 2 days there was a sludge on the sides of the pool that was kinda gross.

We didn't have a single time share person speak to us, but spoke to many people who had one and they all seemed quite happy with it and return over and over again to this specific location.

Taxi ride to town is $16 flat.
The dive centre is great. The diving in Coz is GREAT. Saw many turtles on every dive and the coral formations are getting better in the 6 years since I dove here last.
The waves were too rough and the water was murky at the beach to snorkel. Last time we were here the snorkelling was also fantastic - so we might have just had a bad week.

Hopefully we can return soon!

Room Tip: recommend La Mission restaurant - excellent
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AllegroCozumel, General Manager at Occidental Cozumel, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Dea guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback and recent stay. No doubt we will let all our staff know about them.

All our team is looking foward to welcoming you back.

Regards
Jmfiguereo
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2011

We were a party of four and all of us agreed,
that we absolutely loved this resort. The grounds are gorgeous and
so is the amazing beach. This beach on Coz is far the best. The snorkeling is amazing and the sand is perfect. If you have a fear of water, buy a snorkeling vest before you go and a good mask is a must.
The dive company on site: Dive Palancar is a five star PADI and this is the main reason for our stay at this delightful resort. The resort is close to all the reefs so the trip out is fast. The night dives were incredible and the camaraderie on board the boats was amazing. Thank you Dive Palancar!
The staff...always friendly, accommodating and hard working.
The rooms: much bigger than most resorts...beds are indeed a little hard,
but the bathrooms are amazing...very clean, frig well stocked with cornonas and sodas...balconies inviting, no noise, birds & iquanas abound, maid service perfect...towel art very creative. Do tip these hard working people.
The food: breakfast is a delight. Lots of choices, tables lovely and inviting and much variety. Waiters are waiting for you to arrive and service is excellent.
Lunch: The quac/chips was fabulous, Mexican entries good, American entries okay... they try but hamburgers too thin, meat not that great. Never had a problem finding a table and we were treated very well.
Dinner: buffet variety - we eat everything and try new things and can always find something that we love and will return to eat.
The resort's signature restuarants are good too.The Medeterrian one is the best...the wine is generic, so you can always bring your own.
Drinks: awesome, they will use top shelf, ask and tip...coronas on tap. The bar we tipped a buck and got exactly what we ordered.
Respect the bartenders even pool side. They love an extra tip and
they work very hard to please. My favorite drink was the Bahama mama...
banana smoothie in a blender...yum.
The drive to town is a distance, a $20 dollar ride to....so rent a jeep. We
did that at the airport and was worth it.
We have been to several all inclusives on Coz and Playa and Isla Murjres, Cancun but this resort's entertainment was the best. Very good night shows.
They cover the chairs with chair covers and make the atmosphere at the shows fun and special. But if you are looking for a wild time here, this is not the resort.
Go into town!
The spa is wonderful too. I felt like butter after wards.
Time share: we were never bothered...just say no thanks and they leave you alone...if you start acting interested and take a freebie....then it's your call.
They do not bug you at all....and from what I have seen, many people do buy into the time share and love it. It's just not our thing.
Thanks Grand! We will return!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ScubaDubaDad
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and sharing coments, we are very glad to know that your stay with us was a satisfactory one. We will share your coments with all our staff.

Thank you again i we look foward to seeing you back.

Your Sincerelly
Traverse City, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2011

Beach. pools and grounds are nice. Food... ok at best, although many in group became sick during stay. They need and executive Chef. I did enjoy breakfast. Many sleeepless nights as air conditioning did not work well. Made repeated requests and little if any service and no follow up when promised.

• Stayed March 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BigDinTC
Dear Guest
First of all thank you for choosing Occidental Grand Cozumel as the holiday place. I regret to hear that we didn’t meet your complete satisfaction. I can assure you that one of the main goals of our respective teams in all departments is to work on a daily basis to constantly improve our services and guest satisfaction.

I thank you again for the interest and comments, as it is our wish to excel in every aspect of our operation and this can only be accomplished by correcting the deficiencies which are brought to our attention through the positive and constructive comments.

Once again and on behalf of our staff we would like to apoligize for any inconvenience we have caused.

Your sincerelly