“Best Excursion of Our Cruise!”
Review of Wild Tours

Wild Tours
Ranked #96 of 302 Tours in Cozumel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: While visiting Cozumel, we welcome you to take part in any one of our thrilling excursions. We are truly committed to sharing with you the most unforgettable, adventurous and fun excursions such as All Terrain Buggy tours (XRAIL Commander), Thriller Jet Boat and ATV excursions with our professional and entertaining tour guides. We are happy to Add-venture to your vacation and a smile on your face for long lasting memories!
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Reviewed May 6, 2014

What a rush! My wife and I are in our late-20s and often ride ATVs through the mountains where we live in Colorado and, even for us, this was no kiddie ride through the jungle! You spend 45 minutes whipping your vehicle around corners, launching yourselves over hills, speeding recklessly over massive rocks and through humongous puddles of mud... I don't think we stopped laughing the entire time! You then take a quick dip in the gorgeous clear waters of the cavern before getting back on your vehicle. We put that poor thing through heck and had an absolutely awesome time doing it! We were weary to book the trip because of a few negative reviews, so I want to address a few of those... 1) Our group (even as hard as we drove) didn't have any vehicles break down but we did see a couple along the side of the road. After you experience the ride, you can understand why a few might break, but the staff does an excellent job of either fixing them on site or getting another vehicle out to you. It's just natural after all that these things go through, that some would eventually give out. 2) The vehicles definitely do not have any power steering so be ready for an arm and shoulder workout, but it wasn't anything that my wife couldn't handle. 3) The staff was more than happy with us taking our own pictures in the vehicles, on the road and in the cavern. They even offered to take some for us. They did ask us to not take any of our own pictures of the animals on site, but I think that is understandable since the animals were not included in the price of the excursion. The staff tried to sell us the pictures they took of the animals, but were very kind and not-at-all pushy when we politely declined. 4) Helmets, gloves and goggles were provided free of charge. They did charge $2 for the lockers (which was standard on all excursions that we took) and $2 for bandanas (if you wanted to use them). My wife and I did not use bandanas. We definitely got mud and dirt all over our face but we did not feel like we were choking or having any time breathing. 5) Yes, you need to wear close-toed shoes and clothing that you don't mind getting dirty. I would recommend wearing water shoes, a swim suit and an old t-shirt that you can dispose of at the end of the trip. The mud and dirt do wash out, but we just took the easy approach. We have nothing but wonderful memories of this experience and would HIGHLY recommend booking it!

2  Thank teamcanter
Wildmancoz, Guest Relations Manager at Wild Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Thank you for your review! We are glad that you had great time on the tour and that it was the best excursion of your cruise! We also thank you for sharing your pictures with us and others here on trip advisor and hope to see you again sometime! Thanks again!
Saludos;)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,114)
All reviews
"a lot of fun"
"meeting place"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed May 6, 2014

This was not at all the experience advertised to us. Believe it or not, this was an exucrsion you could plan through Disney Cruise Line! I can't believe children haven't died on this trip.

We had the same problem plenty of other people have described with the steering wheel pulling to the right. We kept crashing into the "jungle". The guide in front of us kept yelling at me to drive faster, but with the dust spraying into my face, the almost impossible to steer xrail, the ill fitting helmets, I didn't want to drive faster I just wanted to finish this terrible experience with both my son and I alive and uninjured. I am a member of the armed forces and have plenty of upper body strength, yet handling this machine left my body aching for days afterwards. My son was in tears.

The wild animals are kept in deplorable conditions, the free nachos at the end of the trip are a joke, even the taxi driver was a stunt driving maniac who forced oncoming cars off the road whilst passing vehicles he thought were moving too slowly.

My son was so terrified he now refuses to attempt any other "adventures", this having been his first experience. This tainted our cruise, but worse so, I have been left with a terrible opinion of Mexico, and have no desire to ever return.

I am also angered by the outright hostility of management responding to the poor reviews. Blaming patrons for their poor experiences, defending their terrible treatment of these animals...

6  Thank SCBL-LDY

We thank you for you taking the time to post but cannot just standby while you make outrageous comments. You´re surprised children have not died that is absolutely ludicrous. While we are sorry to hear that you and your son didn´t enjoy the tour that doesn´t make our tour some crazy hell ride despite what you stated.
We have a great track record for safety and have and will always be concerned with our guests safety which is why we have a great track record and sell the tour with disney cruise lines. Our guides are all well trained.
It is important to take into account that there are adherent risks involved with driving off-road vehicles even for seasoned riders but that is true of any activity including driving a car to and from everyday destinations.
We are sorry that you had difficulty driving the vehicle and if you had a problem with the vehicle we would have urged you to speak with the tour guide so that they can help you as they are always there to help guests along the way.
In regards to the animals you have no way of knowing what the conditions in which they are kept are as you didn´t go to the enclosures and have no idea how they are treated. You didn´t see any malnourished animals as they are all taken care of very well and we also have a veterinarian on site who oversee they care, specific diets etc.
If the taxi driver was driving crazy then thats something you should have reported and something that can be dealt with.
I am sorry that you are offended by my response to some reviews however some guests (not all) do blow things out of proportion or some downright don´t tell things the way they really happened.
We are sorry that you didn´t enjoy the tour but we have parents and children go on the tour all the time and the kids usually always have a great time getting dirty and having the opportunity to visit one of the most unique sites on the island. This doesn´t mean that the tour is for everyone as I have stated many times its not, which is why yes its good to do a little research first.
If clients have a problem do we urge them to come to us yes of course and we work with them if they do. We love our clients and we love what we do this is our livelihood and of course we are going to stand for the hard work that is put into all of our tours.
We hope that you can overcome your bad views of Mexico and Cozumel. Thanks for your time and Kind Regards.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Got home yesterday from a Royal Carribean cruise with my family. While docked in Cozumel we went snorkeling with Wild Tours in Akumal. What an awesome time we had! Looked a bit iffy walking in through a seemingly abandoned hotel property with construction going on all around. But when we got past that to the beach, it was great. The beach and water were incredible. The guides were very helpful and professional (particularly Nicholas and Fernando). We got to snorkel for 30-45 minutes. It was nice and warm but very windy and the water was very choppy. My 12 year old son is a good swimmer but was having trouble with the waves and snorkel equipment. Fernando wound up towing him around for most of the snorkeling time on his float. The water wasn't quite as crystal clear as I had hoped, quite possibly a lot to do with the wind / chop and sediment flying around. But in our time, we probably saw 12-15 sea turtles within 10 feet, a half dozen or so rays and a bunch of fish. Plenty of action to go around. No long waits for something to see. Can't say enough about how helpful the guides were and how great the snorkeling was. The lunch venue next door was terrific as well. Bathroom could use an upgrade but that was the only knock on the facility. We'll seriously consider going back directly to Akumal and on other tours with Wild Tours for our next vacation.

1  Thank bdilly

Thanks very much for your review! We are glad that you had a great time on the tour and that Nicholas and Fernando took good care of you and your son and that they were able to make your tour a pleasant one! I have shared your comments with them. Thanks again and we hope to see you again sometime. Saludos;)

Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

We went today for the Xrail buggy off-road tour and the jade caverns. The meeting point was in front of margaritaville which is like 5 minutes from the port. We met Sam he was right on time or even before. We were loaded into taxis where we were taken to the main venue which is like a 20 minute drive. They will give you gloves for the driver and goggles for both and free water during the adventure.Also, bandanas and lockers are available for $2 each. Our guy was Martin or marteeeen as he likes to be called Lol. He was fun and very helpful. We had the safety briefing and went to the vehicles. Their condition was ok, and they handled pretty good. The terrain was very rough we drove for about 30 min before we reached the caverns. Almost it was the most fun I had in my whole life. Especially if you like off-roading. In the caverns they will tell you it's fresh and clear water and they will try to convince you to swim or even jump. Personally, I think that no one in his right mind would go any where near that water. The smell of sulfur was so strong and the water looked like a swamp. There were some fruit bats and harmless tilapias and small
turtles. The we got back in the cars again and drove all the way back again. Again, it was so much fun. I don't think it's for elderly people, I saw a bunch of them today and they looked extremely tired afterwards. My only complain is that when you have many vehicles in the group you're subjected to delay. So, I think it would be better if the limited the group size. Also, I think the cavern part is a waste of time. Otherwise, these guys were amazing and helpful and if I ever came back to Cozumel I would do it again.
Abdullah Mesawa

1  Thank Mesawa87
Wildmancoz, Guest Relations Manager at Wild Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Thanks very much for your review! We are glad that you had a great time on the tour and that you enjoyed the off-roading on the trail to the cavern and the buggies. Despite your doubts the water in the cavern is clean and is chemically tested on a regular basis. Its important to keep in mind that a a certain depth the so far down there is a current connecting the cenotes on the island to each other and the ocean so its not stagnant water which is one of the reasons it is safe and clean. Thanks again and we hope to see you again sometime! Saludos;)

See more reviews
Reviewed April 25, 2014

My wife and I did the X-Rail tour. Our cruise ship excursion desk warned us that we would get muddy and that the excursion was "active." Setting correct expectations was a big key to enjoyment. If you were expecting a lazy ride followed by a dip on a sandy beach I might understand a low rating. However, if you did your research and/or received good information you more than likely will enjoy this tour.

The X-Rail machines are basically bare bones dune buggies. They are built for rough terrain with very few frills. There is no power steering so you will have to use a little muscle to turn (tip - keep some speed when turning). The trail is very rocky and bumpy which makes it even more fun. Odds are someone in your group will hit a bump and get stuck in the jungle. It's not a big deal as your guide will run back, put you in reverse, and get you moving again. The rocks, pot holes, and trees are kind of the point of the ride. So go fast, don't worry, and have a kick-butt time.

The caverns are interesting if you are not scared of harmless fruit bats. Our tour guide Erwin was fun and informative and did a good job of getting everyone in our group in the water (including two younger girls who were weary about jumping in with the bats above). You will want to take a dip after the ride. It was a dry day when we went so it felt good to get the dust off (bring or buy a $2 bandanna in the gift shop). I've heard in the wet season you'll be muddy - so again, jump in. I mean, when was the last time you swam in a fresh water bat cave on the island of Cozumel?

My wife drove on the way back. We're in our mid 30's and of average fitness. She had no issues driving but did say it took a lot of work and was glad she only drove 1 way. She also said she was very happy she got to drive as it was tons of fun. There was a mom in our group who drove both ways and said her arms were wiped, but she made it both ways and drove great.

We did not buy the pictures as the prices were a little silly. $16 for 1 digital picture, $30 for digital pics, or $80 for all of them plus 4 t-shirts. We probably would have paid half that for the first two packages (the 3rd package isn't all that bad of a deal if you wanted a T-shirt). We also could have used a cold adult beverage after the ride. Unfortunately they are not for sale. We also had some issues understanding the English of our pre-tour presenter who was explaining the lockers, gift shop, etc. These were small complaints and overall we had an excellent time.

Thanks for your review! We are glad that you both had a great time on the tour and that you enjoyed the mud and cavern. Thanks again and we hoep to see you again sometime!
Saludos

Been to Wild Tours? Share your experiences!