“Snorkeling with sea turtles (and more) in Akumal”
Review of Wild Tours

Wild Tours
Ranked #96 of 302 Tours in Cozumel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: While visiting Cozumel, we welcome you to take part in any one of our thrilling excursions. We are truly committed to sharing with you the most unforgettable, adventurous and fun excursions such as All Terrain Buggy tours (XRAIL Commander), Thriller Jet Boat and ATV excursions with our professional and entertaining tour guides. We are happy to Add-venture to your vacation and a smile on your face for long lasting memories!
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Got home yesterday from a Royal Carribean cruise with my family. While docked in Cozumel we went snorkeling with Wild Tours in Akumal. What an awesome time we had! Looked a bit iffy walking in through a seemingly abandoned hotel property with construction going on all around. But when we got past that to the beach, it was great. The beach and water were incredible. The guides were very helpful and professional (particularly Nicholas and Fernando). We got to snorkel for 30-45 minutes. It was nice and warm but very windy and the water was very choppy. My 12 year old son is a good swimmer but was having trouble with the waves and snorkel equipment. Fernando wound up towing him around for most of the snorkeling time on his float. The water wasn't quite as crystal clear as I had hoped, quite possibly a lot to do with the wind / chop and sediment flying around. But in our time, we probably saw 12-15 sea turtles within 10 feet, a half dozen or so rays and a bunch of fish. Plenty of action to go around. No long waits for something to see. Can't say enough about how helpful the guides were and how great the snorkeling was. The lunch venue next door was terrific as well. Bathroom could use an upgrade but that was the only knock on the facility. We'll seriously consider going back directly to Akumal and on other tours with Wild Tours for our next vacation.

1  Thank bdilly
Wildmancoz, Guest Relations Manager at Wild Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Thanks very much for your review! We are glad that you had a great time on the tour and that Nicholas and Fernando took good care of you and your son and that they were able to make your tour a pleasant one! I have shared your comments with them. Thanks again and we hope to see you again sometime. Saludos;)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,114)
All reviews
"a lot of fun"
"meeting place"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

We went today for the Xrail buggy off-road tour and the jade caverns. The meeting point was in front of margaritaville which is like 5 minutes from the port. We met Sam he was right on time or even before. We were loaded into taxis where we were taken to the main venue which is like a 20 minute drive. They will give you gloves for the driver and goggles for both and free water during the adventure.Also, bandanas and lockers are available for $2 each. Our guy was Martin or marteeeen as he likes to be called Lol. He was fun and very helpful. We had the safety briefing and went to the vehicles. Their condition was ok, and they handled pretty good. The terrain was very rough we drove for about 30 min before we reached the caverns. Almost it was the most fun I had in my whole life. Especially if you like off-roading. In the caverns they will tell you it's fresh and clear water and they will try to convince you to swim or even jump. Personally, I think that no one in his right mind would go any where near that water. The smell of sulfur was so strong and the water looked like a swamp. There were some fruit bats and harmless tilapias and small
turtles. The we got back in the cars again and drove all the way back again. Again, it was so much fun. I don't think it's for elderly people, I saw a bunch of them today and they looked extremely tired afterwards. My only complain is that when you have many vehicles in the group you're subjected to delay. So, I think it would be better if the limited the group size. Also, I think the cavern part is a waste of time. Otherwise, these guys were amazing and helpful and if I ever came back to Cozumel I would do it again.
Abdullah Mesawa

1  Thank Mesawa87
Wildmancoz, Guest Relations Manager at Wild Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Thanks very much for your review! We are glad that you had a great time on the tour and that you enjoyed the off-roading on the trail to the cavern and the buggies. Despite your doubts the water in the cavern is clean and is chemically tested on a regular basis. Its important to keep in mind that a a certain depth the so far down there is a current connecting the cenotes on the island to each other and the ocean so its not stagnant water which is one of the reasons it is safe and clean. Thanks again and we hope to see you again sometime! Saludos;)

Reviewed April 25, 2014

My wife and I did the X-Rail tour. Our cruise ship excursion desk warned us that we would get muddy and that the excursion was "active." Setting correct expectations was a big key to enjoyment. If you were expecting a lazy ride followed by a dip on a sandy beach I might understand a low rating. However, if you did your research and/or received good information you more than likely will enjoy this tour.

The X-Rail machines are basically bare bones dune buggies. They are built for rough terrain with very few frills. There is no power steering so you will have to use a little muscle to turn (tip - keep some speed when turning). The trail is very rocky and bumpy which makes it even more fun. Odds are someone in your group will hit a bump and get stuck in the jungle. It's not a big deal as your guide will run back, put you in reverse, and get you moving again. The rocks, pot holes, and trees are kind of the point of the ride. So go fast, don't worry, and have a kick-butt time.

The caverns are interesting if you are not scared of harmless fruit bats. Our tour guide Erwin was fun and informative and did a good job of getting everyone in our group in the water (including two younger girls who were weary about jumping in with the bats above). You will want to take a dip after the ride. It was a dry day when we went so it felt good to get the dust off (bring or buy a $2 bandanna in the gift shop). I've heard in the wet season you'll be muddy - so again, jump in. I mean, when was the last time you swam in a fresh water bat cave on the island of Cozumel?

My wife drove on the way back. We're in our mid 30's and of average fitness. She had no issues driving but did say it took a lot of work and was glad she only drove 1 way. She also said she was very happy she got to drive as it was tons of fun. There was a mom in our group who drove both ways and said her arms were wiped, but she made it both ways and drove great.

We did not buy the pictures as the prices were a little silly. $16 for 1 digital picture, $30 for digital pics, or $80 for all of them plus 4 t-shirts. We probably would have paid half that for the first two packages (the 3rd package isn't all that bad of a deal if you wanted a T-shirt). We also could have used a cold adult beverage after the ride. Unfortunately they are not for sale. We also had some issues understanding the English of our pre-tour presenter who was explaining the lockers, gift shop, etc. These were small complaints and overall we had an excellent time.

Thanks for your review! We are glad that you both had a great time on the tour and that you enjoyed the mud and cavern. Thanks again and we hoep to see you again sometime!
Saludos

Reviewed April 22, 2014

First off I hope you read these reviews. YOUR MACHINES ARE DANGEROUS AND UNDER MAINTAINED.
My family did the XRAIL tour 3 years ago and it was serious fun. Nice machines back then, easy to operate and enjoy.
This visit was horrible. My wife's xrail had no brakes and after flagging you down finally and crashing 3 times, you adjusted her seat and sent her on her way. I was PISSED OFF!!!. I was directly behind her and she crashed again. My xrail had a serious steering issue but as I'm 6'1 225, I could fight it off. The steering shaft joint was nearly blown out and the steering would oversteer and sometimes lock to the right and had to be forced back. The xrail in front of my wife's had a similar problem and they abandoned the vehicle and swapped it with the tour guides, then they abandoned my wife's and she rode with the tour guide.
Shortly after we are at the swimming hole (bat cave). Looking a bit nasty and unkept now, not as before and we get to the boardwalk below and 2 of us instantly see what looks like a water moccasin right there. Suddenly the guide asks us all to go to the other side and swim there, UH, no thanks.
The ride back my wife has a xrail that she later describes as a pleasure to drive and the other couple had another xrail that they described the same way. (They were both xrails that the guides had driven there).
Asked to speak to someone afterward and nobody would listen, I wanted at least a partial refund, (actually I wanted to do something else) Nobody was willing to even listen.
Had this been a cruise excursion I would have taken it up with them but Carnival doesn't offer the Xrails anymore, we did this on our own.
AVOID this place. We will.

6  Thank paul f
Wildmancoz, Guest Relations Manager at Wild Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

We thank you for taking the time to post a review, We are sorry you didn't enjoy the tour, but as you know, one of our main concerns is not to have an impact on the environment, therefore we are not able to change anything at the Cenote, we can pick up the branches or remove the leaves that fall on the path but the water must remain completely natural, again, We are sorry it does not look like a pool you were expecting and it is surprising since you already were here and did not remember that. By the way THERE ARE NO water moccasins on the island in fact there are no venomous snakes on the island at all and it could have been a boa constrictor and the only reason the guide would have taken you to the other side is because a lot of people don´t like snakes and didn´t want anyone to worry. Regarding the Xrail ride, the trail it´s rough, something you should expect when you take an off-road tour, also, the odds of having an issue with a car are higher than driving on the street, the difference is that we can and did give a solution to whatever the problem was with the car.
Again, we thank you for taking the tour.
kind regards.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 21, 2014

This place needs an upgrade. ATVs & Dune buggies managing not to hit each other on one single path. The only jungle is a jungle of weeds and plastic debris scattered along the trail. They don't allow YOU to take pictures of their parrot or gator but you can buy the ones they take. We felt rushed. No time was given to allow inexperienced ATV riders to get familiar with them. The "ruins" are questionable. Beach/snorkel portion was horrible. Too many people for the small space. Rocky shoreline and overall crappy snorkeling. We would NOT recommend this excursion to anyone. We've traveled extensively and this was by far the worst "adventure" ever. Food/water available but limited in choices. Skip this rip off. We too traveled Royal Caribbean but booked the excursion through our Marriott rewards. Should have just stayed on the boat.

4  Thank Liz D

We thank you for taking time to post a review. While we are sorry that you didn´t enjoy your tour we disagree with you for many reasons. The ATVs and the Xrails yes sometimes one caravan with need to cross paths but they are not just driving at each other like a two way street which you had to have noticed. One caravan stops while the other one passes and we have NEVER had anyone from either caravan wreck into some in a caravan that has had to stop why because we communicate to each other to make sure our guests are all safe.
What you call a Jungle of weeds is the Jungle here in Cozumel its not a rainforest which is surely what you were expecting or something.
We explained very clearly the reason why we ask that you don´t take any pictures if the animals on the tour and the tour is apt for riders of all skill levels and guests usually don´t have a problem getting the hang of driving the ATVs since they are full automatic there isn´t much to it.
The beach club is a place where guests can relax and snorkel or just hang out and the fact that there are rocks along the edge make for better snorkeling.
We are very clear on what kind of tour this is and hope that you visit Cozumel again sometime but do suggest that you do some research so that you know what kind of tour you are booking. Kind Regards

Been to Wild Tours? Share your experiences!