“X-Rails tour to Jade Caverns - Allure of the seas”
Review of Wild Tours

ATV Ride to the Jade Cavern
Ranked #55 of 281 Tours in Cozumel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: While visiting Cozumel, the Riviera Maya or Cancun we welcome you to take part in any one of our unique excursions. We are truly committed to share with you the most unforgettable, adventurous and fun excursions such as: All Terrain Buggy tours, Snorkel tours. Thriller jet boat and Atvs all settled in a town rich in culture and full of traditions called "EL CEDRAL" proudly operated by Wild Tours with the love and enthusiasm of operating great tours for long lasting memories we are happy to Add-venture to your vacations and to have you smile with us!
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Montreal, Canada
“X-Rails tour to Jade Caverns - Allure of the seas”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My boyfriend and I took the X-Rails tour to Jade Caverns when our ship (The Allure of the seas) stopped by Cozumel, Mexico. We are always looking for new experience and high sensations. I can definately say that this excursion was worth it! If I can give you one tip: don't wear your favorite clothes on this excursion because, trust me you're gonna get dirty. You can rent their crocs, goggles and of course an helmet for your safety. Don't bring your personal camera. Maybe if you have a GO-PRO you should bring this instead. I liked the fact that we did more than driving our vehicules. We did feed parrots, held a crocodile and bathed in a cenote full of bats! Plus, the guides Mike and Tony were super sympathetic, had a great sens of humor and were a lot informed about this area. I highly recommend this tour! It was by far the most exiting and fun day of my cruise.

Visited August 2012
Wildmancoz, Guest Relations Manager at Wild Tours, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Thanks very much for your review I am glad that you had such a great time on the tour and that Mike and Tony took such great care of you guys. Thanks again and we hope to see you again on your next trip to Cozumel;) Saludos

• Polish first
Birmingham, Alabama
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Off Road Adventure to Jade Caverns-Disney”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We booked this excursion with Disney because it was the same price as the independent excursions. Remember to arrive at the stated time on your tickets because Disney will leave for the excursion without you!
My family loved it.
Some things to know:
The vehicles do not having power steering so they are alot of work to drive.
If you are solo you will be paired with another driver.
The road is extremely bumpy.
You will get very dirty.

Disney did provide a nice lunch.
The water is nice and refreshing .The cave was full of bats and everyone thought this was one of the best things on the 7 day Fantasy cruise!!!

3 Thank vpxtrastuff
Wildmancoz, Guest Relations Manager at Wild Tours, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thanks very much for your review! We are glad that you had a great time on the tour and that it seems it was a favorite for the family during the rest of the cruise. Thanks again and we do hope to see you again sometime! Saludos;)
Boston, Massachusetts
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“ATV/Beach Adventure - Just okay for my second time.”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My wife and I are both 31 yrs old and we did ATV/Beach in Costa Rica so I have something to compare it to. Maybe it's because this was my second time, but it was yay, but it wasn't nay. My wife enjoyed it and liked it.

Bottom line: I would recommend to first timers. I personally wouldn't recommend to second timers.

So I know that Samuel responds to tripadvisor after each review. I also have read the average/poor/terrible reviews and just to crunch number 89% of the people who have reviewed gave it good/excellent. This means YOU have an 11% chance of being in the group who thinks it's average/poor/terrible. In other words, you should give it a try.

Yes, it's true. It's bumpy. Yes, it's true you are guaranteed a few mosquito bites (at least 3), and yes, it's true you might even get blisters (I know I did and am still healing 2 weeks later). And guess what....none of that was a big deal to me. I gave it 3 because I was probably wowed away by my first experience in Costa Rica. They provided us with longer rides, awesome roads, a 20 minute break to take pictures, eat fruit, drink lots of water, incredible scenery driving through rivers....it was just amazing.

Having said this...I will tell you how it most likely go if you are NOT on a cruise. Wild-tours.com has the whole schtick down to a science. They have become experts at their routine. First, you meet a Margaritaville where someone will be there waiting for you. As a matter of fact, the seats actually say that the tours are here. Margaritaville is the Jimmy Buffet owned restaurant. At the end you can get 2 free 8 ounce Margaritas. Nothing special, but hey...free is the right price. Then you pay with credit card (they prefer cash). We did the ATV/Beach tour which came out to 159 dollars total (That's like 80 bucks for two which is very reasonable). Hope in a van...then you see signs not to take pics of the animals. Although I believe you can purchase the photos. Samuel will respond and say it's for animal conservation and that's where the money goes (only htey REALLY knows where the money is going though, right?) Next, you can pay $2 for bandanas (my wife did, I didn't - it wasn't muddy that day and even if it was I prob wouldn't have mind getting mud in my face). You can also purchase goggles (I came prepared with sunglasses- Thanks tripadvisor!) Lockers aren't free. You must pay $2. Also, if you want extra drinks from their fridge, that costs money too. Same w/ coffee.

Now you instructions on how to ride the ATV. Even if you tune out the entire time, you'll be fine because they start your engine and put you in the right gear for you. So RELAX and enjoy. All you have to do is push a button and steer.

Now you follow the leader. I can't say anthing about the poor maintenance or steering. Mine worked fine and so did my wife's, BUT I will say this. The reviews that gave poor reviews are comparing to either US standards or some higher standard somewhere else. Perhaps the maintenance standards aren't up to their expectations?? I don't know.

During the tour you stop in the cave for about 5 minutes. He talks about the Mayans. I think this is where you see Mayan ruins too?? I don't know, because my wife and I were looking at inscriptions or something in the cave. I guess the "fish" that the guide showed us and the cave were the ruins. I don't know. Then, you will go see a cenote. If you were expecting Chichen Itza cenote, then you'll be disappointed. This is where you will get bit by mosquitoes. Just load up on repellent. You'll be fine! The cenote looks like a big ditch with water, so don't be disappointed.

At the end, you go through water and sprinklers (PUT YOUR FEET UP), all the while they are taking pictures of you that they can sell to you at the end. I didn't see anyone buying any pictures (too expensive), but if you bring a water/shock resistant camera, you can take all the photo you want for free! Plus you can make your own video. That's what I did in Costa Rica.

I'm grateful for the nachos and salsa as we waited for the van to take us away to the beach (Las Uvas Beach). We got to the beach and had lunch at the bar (they were reasonable - $30 total). You can take a boat out to snorkel farther if you want, but we stayed in the area. They provide life jackets. I saw a stingray and a few fish...real nice beach though. Then you must go back to Margaritaville, but we paid more money for the taxi to take us to Planacar beach. Sorry, but the deal is you must go to Margaritaville if you don't want to pay more money. It was worth paying the extra $30 to check out that beach though. The guy was willing to wait as long as it took us, too. At 5 they were pretty much closing. The beach is real cool, but you can go there on your own. You don't need to pay for that (except to a taxi driver). Do this if you don't know what to do at Cozumel since it's your first time. If you've done ATV and beaches and want to try something else, then check out more tours on tripadvisor and go for something different.

4 Thank Jay D
Wildmancoz, Guest Relations Manager at Wild Tours, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you for your review! We are glad that you had a good time on the tour even though you didn´t enjoy it as much as your previous atv tour in Costa Rica. Cozumel is much has a very different landscape than Costa Rica, perhaps you were expecting rivers and waterfalls. We appreciate the fact that you took the time to read all of the reviews and responses that we give to said reviews. I would like to mention that contrary to your statements the money raised from photos sold does go to wildlife preservation which as you know I have stated in the past as something in which we actively participate. Thank you again for your very detailed and thorough review and we hope that we can continue to improve and hopefully we´ll see you again sometime. Thanks again
Kind Regards
Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Don't do it”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We took the xrail tour out of Cozumel last week while on a Carnival Cruise. I knew right from the start it was not going to be a good day. We were supposed to leave the port at 12:30, but there was only 1 taxi van there so we had to wait until 1 for the other taxi to show up. We get there and start showing us the parrots and a large python letting everyone hold the animals while taking pictures. Another employee came out and got mad because we were using our cameras. Turns out they want to use the company camera and charge you for the prints (I think it was $10 per print). So finally at 2 we finally get to go to the buggys and start out on the trails(I am using the word trails loosely most of the trail is big enough for a dumptruck to go down. I know because we had to wait for a dumptruck to go by), I understand that the buggys do not have power steering, but these things were super hard to steer. I have driven cars from the 60's with no power steering that steer easier than these things. While we were going down the trail the front end started making a squeeking noise followed by the front passenger wheel braking off and rolling into the woods. The front suspension dug into the ground, luckily we weren't going that fast and the suspension didn't hit a rock or we probably would have been hurt. The guide offered us his buggy but not before he had to de-tune it to make it go slower. Another buggy in our group had the back bumper fall off as they drove down the trail. I have driven all types of offroad vehicles from ATV's to vw dune buggys to Jeeps all the way to competition built rock crawlers and these Xrails were the worse thing I have ever driven.

As for swimming in Jade cavern, we had to pass. When you got to the cavern you could smell the bat guano in the air. We had a couple people that decided to do the cliff jump in to the cave. As soon as stirred the water up the smell of sulphur and ammonia filled the air. I am sure if the water was tested it would test as dangerous and unhealthy to be in or around.

The only positive that I can say for the tour is that the guides did a good job. They seemed well informed on the area and were entertaining with their jokes. Kinda sad when the guide is the only good thing

2 Thank MadRver
Wildmancoz, Guest Relations Manager at Wild Tours, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
We thank you for your review and while we are sorry that you did not enjoy your tour we must make sure and point out a few things that you stated in your review. In regards to the photos our guides I am sure mentioned that we ask that you don´t take pictures with your cameras due to the fact that we are active members in an animal conservation group and all of the money from photos sold on the tour go directly to animal preservation and the photos do NOT cost $10us per print. The vehicles undergo regular preventative maintenance. The trail also undergoes regular maintenance it is necessary and therefore you saw a truck moving materials for trail maintenance. As far as the water quality in the cenote it is chemically tested every 2 months and is 100% safe for guests and has a sulfur smell due to all of the minerals from the limestone. Again we are sorry that you didn´t enjoy you tour but we do take pride in the services we provide as well as our part in conservation. Thank you again and we hope that you will come to our beautiful island again sometime.
Kind Regards
Waynesville, Ohio, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“ATV/Beach Adventure - great deal!”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We chose the ATV/Beach Combo adventure for our stop in Cozumel last week. I was REALLY hesitant about driving the ATV's but I am so glad my husband talked me into it! They are semi-automatic which means they're "clutchless" ...much easier to drive!! There is no shifting!...we put them in 3rd gear for the whole ride and it was great! Miguel was our guide and he really knew his stuff! I was impressed with his knowledge of his culture and the region. We toured on the ATVs for 45 minutes with a stop to see a sinkhole and another 45 minutes back with a stop to see a cave. We got muddy so be sure to wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty! They offered bandanas for the dirt...we didn't buy them but if we went again I might consider it! Closed toed shoes are a must! After our trip, we were served chips and cheese while we waited for our photos that Miguel took of us all along the way to upload (and of course you can purchase them). From there, we were driven to a small little beach resort where we were able to relax, see the beach and snorkel. Snorkeling was included in the original payment so we figured, why not! Reyes was our snorkel guide and did a great job. We were given inflatable life vests as we did swim out quite a ways...all of the snorkel gear is included too. He showed us a yellow sting ray as well as a star fish, a shrimp and of course many other colorful fish! Overall we had a GREAT time and would definitely do this excursion again! *Only thing we had a little problem with was the language difference...we asked Reyes how long it would take from the beach to get back to our ship and our whole group heard "45 minutes" so we kind of rushed to get our things together and head back...only to find out he meant "4 to 5 minutes" so we could have had more beach time, but ended up walking around Cozumel for a little while longer instead! :)

Visited August 2012
Wildmancoz, Guest Relations Manager at Wild Tours, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thanks very much for your review we are glad to hear about how everything was on your tour! Thanks again and I will be sure to share your review with Reyes at playa Uvas lol. We hope to see you again! Saludos;)

Been to Wild Tours? Share your experiences!