“Your Home in Cozumel”

Alicia's Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 25 Cozumel B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 28, 2010

I was in Cozumel for 4 days for diving. I was looking for a smaller hotel / B&B away from
the crowds. My needs were simple- safe, clean and quiet. Alicia's provides all three
along with a wonderful hostess (Alicia) and host (Chuco).
The rooms were spotless, with tile floors ceiling fans/ AC and little things like a small paperback library. Rooms are very basic but functional. All rooms appear to have an outside sitting area for eating and relaxing.

Chuco is ready to prepare a great breakfast as you arise. As I was leaving quite early each morning, he was ready when I was. Juice, fresh fruit, fresh cooked omlettes and Mexican dishes will appear like magic. Cereal is available as well.

Alicia's is located in a neighborhood location SE from San Miguel. Town is about a 25 min walk, or an inexpensive taxi ride. (30-40 pesos) If you are diving from Caleta Marina, the taxi cost is 60-75 pesoes, depending on the driver. A full size supermarket (San Francisco) is a 10 minute walk.
Alicia is a wealth of knowledge about Cozumel, and the B&B set-up allows you freedom to come and go as you please. Security seems fine.
When I return in the future, I know where I will stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank Jodnay

Reviewed March 13, 2009

What a wonderful visit. I got to enjoy Cozumel off the beaten path -- cruise ship folks! I went on vacation to escape a city and got a small town feel.

The location is on the South East corner of town in a primarily residential/small business area. There is a little street noise from traffic in the mornings and from the small industrial lot across the street during the day. At night there is hardly any noise. A little courtyard in the back has nice trees and flowers. I enjoyed seeing small song birds, humming bird, and lizards from my private patio.

The rooms are simple: Bed, ceiling fan, A/C, fan, bathroom, in-room mini-fridge, Hammock (in some rooms), access to kitchen area and ice. Free wireless internet(the cement walls can make reception tricky, I enjoyed ok connection on my patio). Room cleaned daily with fresh towels. Hot running water at all times. Water pressure isn't too high, but this is typical of the town. Water pressure is made by houses putting storage tanks on the roof and using gravity.

Alicia is very welcoming and allows you to escape on your own and not feel like you need to visit. She is originally from Oregon, USA. Chuco helps her run the B&B. He makes a large breakfast: fresh cut fruit, chips&guacamole, and an omlette or waffle or nachos for breakfast. I was asked if I had any meal preferences, so they can be accommodating.

Access to town centre is easy. Walk: 35 minutes, Taxi(25 pesos) 5mins, Bus(5 pesos) 20 minutes. Taxi to Caleta Marina (for some scuba charters) 12 minute taxi (50-90 pesos, depends on driver). There is a large store (SanFrancisco) 4 minutes walk away too.

2 pleasant dogs guard the property. The maid who cleans is very honest with regards to property and money (something that never came to mind when booking).

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank freshscent
Reviewed November 25, 2008

I'd like to preface my remarks by making a couple of general comments about Cozumel, having traveled there six times in the last eight years. You really only need to get to the island and find a clean, comfortable, friendly place to stay. The beaches are, with a few exceptions, accessible to all. What we choose to do is rent a car or scooter, check in at Alicia's, and travel all over the island from Alicia's. We bring our own snorkel gear, bring a collapsible cooler filled with cold drinks and food and take off to the beach to relax and snorkel.

We love staying with Alicia, Chuco, and Benedita (her faithful doggie). As a matter of fact, we would not stay anywhere else. Alicia is a wonderful woman and a great hostess. Beyond that, she is a wealth of information about the many varied aspects of a stay on Cozumel, however, she walks a fine line and is never "in your face" with advice, and that, truly, is a gift. There are many things to consider while staying on Cozumel, from where to rent a car, where to exchange money, where to get the island's freshest seafood-the list goes on and on (and on). Chuco also provides great advice if you seek it from him and always has the lowdown on where I can get Sol the cheapest!

Alicia's rooms are always spotless. Each is equipped with a hammock if you want to take a siesta or sleep in one for a night (nights). I have never had any problems with the water not being plentiful and hot as mentioned by a previous poster. Chuco is a wonderful cook and provides a great breakfast each morning. No, you do not have to be at the table promptly at 7AM, when Chuco sees that you're up and about, he starts making breakfast. There is always a platter of fresh fruit, juices, hot coffee and whatever the breakfast entree is for the day. We have chosen to prepare a few meals on our own while staying there and were free to use the kitchen facilities being sure to always clean up and do our dishes when and if we choose to do so. There is also a gas grill there for guests to use. Alicia also provides purified water to use at the B&B or to take with you when you head out for the day. Alicia is "my Mexican mom" and I get a big hug from her when coming and going.

We blundered into information about Alicia's the same way you've likely found this post, on the internet, prior to a midwinter trip to Cozumel.

We have met many great people at Alicia's over the years and have even chartered snorkeling boats and gone out on the town with some of them. I can tell you that if you have a friendly outgoing personality, have a sense of adventure and don't mind staying back in town with the "real people", you will love staying with Alicia. If you want a four star hotel with room service and are a demanding snob, please, stay away, after all, we may be staying there when you are.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
7  Thank steve734
Reviewed December 19, 2007

I split my two week vacation in Cozumel between a waterfront hotel (see my review on the Coral Princess) and Alicia's Bed and Breakfast, 65th and 19th. I moved to Alicia's when my non-diving friend departed for home, and even though I enjoyed staying on the water, moving to Alicia's is like staying with friends. The B&B consists of a main house with two large rooms for rent and two casita double rooms in the yard behind the house. I stayed in one of the casita's this trip and I was quite comfortable - each casita has a full bath, air conditioning, and a wardrobe with plenty of storage space. Owner Alicia lives on site and is a wealth of information regarding local restaurants and activities, and B&B dog Venidita provides great therapy for those missing their own pets! Breakfast is provided every morning with plenty of fresh fruit and Chuco's famous guacamole (surprisingly enough, it's great for breakfast) and Chuco is happy to cook early for those with a dive boat to catch. Taxi's are plentiful and easy to catch - a quick ride to the town square was about $2.
I would recommend Alicia's B&B unconditionally to those looking for a slightly different Cozumel experience - it's not beachfront, but it's clean, comfortable, friendly and welcoming, a great place for those staying on the island to dive, and a better bargin can not be found on Cozumel!
Check out Alicia's at: [--]

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank FranInSanFran
Reviewed August 29, 2007

We had been to Alicia's a few times before...but this was the first time with our whole family...me, my wife, our 4 yr. old twin boys and 2 yr old daughter and my mother-in-law. We love Cozumel and the the hospitality and comfort you get with Alicia and Chuco are unheard of for such a great place and well-kept secret. It is off the beaten path but that's what we like about it. We get to experience the local culture, some great neighborhood restaurants that we would never know about staying on the beachfront and the Bed and Breakfast truly is you home away from home. There are 5 available rooms with A/C (that actually works) and you will get the best HOMEMADE breakfasts and Chuco's guacamole made fresh everyday---You won't get that at an AI!! Chuco is a former Dive Boat captain so he can give you the REAL lowdown on where to go to snorkel or dive and the place is a haven for divers because of the hospitality and facilities. We were there when 9/11 hit and this time when Hurrican Dean was baring down. All we had to do was to quiz Chuco on hwo he felt it was going and after being through at least 6 hurricanes on the island he has a good sense and he felt it wasn't going to be a head-on hit-he was right. We did heavy winds and rain all night but we always felt safe and comfortable, because where the B&B is located and the way it's built you don't get a direct hit from the wind. If you want a "home" feel, some great cooking, good company, inside information on Cozumel, a price that can't be beat at $40 a night and, more than likely, a cold SOL cerveza waiting ( again, the locals don't consider Corona a good beer), then Alicia's is perfect! We'll be back again soon and maybe we'll see you there! I highly recommend it!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank djhwood
Reviewed July 7, 2006

My wife and I enjoyed a short vacation in Cozumel recently, and during our stay we made "Alicia's Bed and Breakfast" our home away from home. We discovered Alicia's through Trip Advisor; and although the B & B is not close to the ocean, we decided to give it a try. Our contacts with Alicia via email were answered promptly and courteously and we were quickly guaranteed a room for our stay. Alicia also gave us many valuable, money-saving tips concerning travel from Cancun to Cozumel, as our flights ended and began there.

The B & B is tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the Port and Downtown areas and affords the adventurous vacationer a different perspective of Cozumel. Upon arrival we were greeted by Alicia, Chuco and Venadita (the resident dog). Let me say right off the bat that Venadita is in no way threatening (as you may read in another review)... She is well behaved and a joy to be greeted by when you return to the B & B. I really really miss her. Alicia showed us to our room, allowed us to get settled, and later gave us a quick tour of her home. The B & B is surrounded by a very clean white wall with brick red accents and has a nice tiled courtyard with chairs, table and a natural palm umbrella under which you may rest and enjoy some camaraderie. The main home has a very nice living room with a computer, TV and a stereo. Guests may use the computer during their stay. Adjacent to the living room is the dining area and kitchen which are separated by a pass-through counter. Behind the kitchen is a guest room which has an exit door onto it's own little outdoor patio. Upstairs there are two more guest rooms with patios as well as the Owner's accommodations. Behind the main house is a two story structure which consists of two additional bedrooms with baths. Our room was very clean and had white tile floors throughout. The bathroom was also tiled in white and was very clean. The room had both an air conditioner (which very quickly cooled things down) and a ceiling fan. There was a small refrigerator, a night table, comfortable bed and a free-standing closet and drawer set. Each day our room was cleaned, had fresh sheets applied to the bed and fresh towels left for our use. Our shower worked perfectly and we never had a problem with hot water or water pressure. Fresh, potable drinking water is provided for guests during their stay. Everything at Alicia's was clean and nicely painted.

Alicia has a wonderful partner whose name is Chuco. Chuco is an amazingly talented gentleman with a warm smile and quick laughter. He was instrumental in building the B & B and from the pictures I saw of the construction, it is easy to see why the home survived Hurricane Wilma unscathed. Chuco works his morning magic in the kitchen providing his guests with hot coffee, juices, wonderful fresh fruit, his famous Guacamole and a varied main dish each morning. He makes his own tortilla chips daily and on any given morning may prepare omelets, Chorizo, French toast, Huevos Rancheros or other superb dishes. For lunch or dinner there are many wonderful restaurants in the neighborhood, and Alicia can direct you to most of them. These are restaurants which give you the native feel and tastes of the region. You will also find markets within walking distance. Don't look to loose weight while staying with Chuco and Alicia. Taxis are cheap and plentiful, so getting around is not a problem.

All and all you will find Alicia to be a wonderful hostess and a joy to just sit around and talk with. Her pleasant demeanor and relaxed attitude make it easy for you to unwind and forget your cares (having Venadita around to pet doesn't hurt either). Alicia and Chuco run a very nice establishment, and you will find that you can really rest and relax during your stay. My wife and I both recommend Chuco and Alicia's Bed and Breakfast for hospitality, great food and tremendous value during your stay in Cozumel.

• Stayed: July 2006
12  Thank DosPalmas
A TripAdvisor Member
Garden Valley, CA
Reviewed March 16, 2006

Went to Cozumel on my own for a 5 day dive trip back in 2004 just after getting certified and stayed with her on recommendation of Alison w/ Scuba with Alison. Excellent recommendation. I had a great time and Alicia was a wonderful hostess! She looked after me like a mother hen from the start. She took me to the the local Mercado, the bank and local resturants. Walked me through the ins and outs of getting around Cozumel on my own. The breakfasts were excellent, and a perfect way to start my dive day! I am still trying to get my guacamole to turn out so perfect! Gonna have to watch closer next time:) The room and facilites were clean and for the budget diver, her diver room rate can't be beat!! Looking forward to going back:) Hey Alicia - what do you have open for this September? Andrea :)

• Stayed: September 2005