“Snorkle north of the city!”

Alicia's Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 25 Cozumel B&B and Inns
USA
“Snorkle north of the city!”
Reviewed August 20, 2004

I just spent the first two weeks of August at Alicia's.
It was my second trip to Cozumel this year.
First I would like to point out that there is no "Killer Dog". The two resident dogs are sweethearts.
The rooms were spotless, almost hygienically
clean to say the least.
The owners went to great length to make me feel at home with out smothering me.
Great advice on where to eat and snorkle.
The bicycle has a great big seat for hours of
confortable exploring. I can't say enough about that seat!
The daily breakfast consisted of four or five
fresh sliced ripe fruits and a Maya Omelet or some other Maya dish. All the great coffee you can drink too.
Want to relax a little after spending the morning
in the sea? No problem--The place has more than enough Best Seller books.
Alicia's is definitely on the "do it again" list.

• Stayed January 2005
3 Thank SuperSnorkel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed July 21, 2004

I will not go back to Alicia's. I had very bad experience there. Mosquitos ate me alive at night--screens on windows had holes. Mayan man who did the cooking in am cooked OK breakfast, but was always late and I had to rush to get to dive boat every morning. Someone left refridgerator door open. Myan man slammed items around the kitchen and bedroom for a good 20 minutes. Would get drunk nightly and try to talk in broken English to me when all I wanted was to be left alone. Mention casually one night they usually do not provided dive master's when diving in Keys. Mayan man went off, appeared very angry, and continued to argue that was "stupid" and "not true." Subtle complaints from staff, "Most of the guests here get their ice from downtown" when I would get ice from refridgerator--which they advertised (free ice). My very first experience in Coz--not a good one.

2 Thank vandy1212
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 27, 2004

I discovered Alicia's B&B on the travelnotes website and I'm so happy we chose to stay here for the first three days of our honeymoon. This was our third trip to Cozumel and we've always stayed at All Inclusive resorts but wanted a change for part of this trip.

Alicia and I emailed back and forth several times before our arrival and she was always eager to provide recommendations and offer assistance.

When we arrived we were not disappointed. We met Alicia, Chuco, Tom and the two dogs and settled in quickly. Our room was very comfortable and clean and we had our own little balcony.

Breakfast every morning was phenomenal and our hosts were VERY GRACIOUS during our entire stay. I was so sad to leave but we'd received a free weeks stay at the Occidental Grand and had to take advantage of it! My fiancee and I missed the atmosphere of Alicia's the entire time we were at the larger resort. (Although we still had a great time.)

We enjoyed exploring the neighborhoods, getting to know our hosts and really relaxing in San Miguel. We can't wait to return to Alicia's.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 6, 2004

Been some changes at Alicia's B&B, ...still cheap but the owner(s?) are all three irritable and grouchy, though they sometimes try to hide it. Rooms are clean, but cigarette smoke is constantly drifting in from their patio. For a much cheerier experience, try Baldwin's B & B, Tamarindo B & B, or Amigo's. Locations are better, too.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed January 28, 2004

Just got back from a five day scuba trip in Cozumel during which my friend and I stayed at Alicia's Bed and Breakfast and thought someone might like further info from our trip. In past trips to Cozumel I have always stayed at the All Inclusives (AI's as the locals refer to) and for the most part was happy with these places. But, I really had a desire to escape the sheltered compounds of these vacations spots to really experience the Mexican culture. After many hours of internet research, I came across some reviews of a couple of Bed and Breakfasts, including Alicia's. Alicia's showed promise and the price was right.
Alicia herself conversed with me at length over e-mail and really made me feel at ease about venturing out of my previous "protected" environ.
She helped with recommendations to scuba shops, restaurants, taxis and even made sure which ferry to use when coming from Playa del Carmen (the white one by the way). When the taxi driver dropped us off in front of Alicia's, I was, to say the least, apprehensive. You see, Alicia's is not the typical resort style 50 feet from the ocean, in fact it's a couple of miles, and the neighborhood was not what I was used to. Moderately rustic is what I would've called it before my visit. The front is a concrete wall about 8 feet high with a black, iron door and two small square openings about 2 feet off the ground and about 2 feet apart. I was soon to find out the small openings where lookout posts for Alicia's very highly trained guard dogs. And as long as you where there for good intentions, these guys quickly became your buddies. I can't wait for my kids to meet them. As we passed through the iron entry gate, we entered "another dimension"! Beyond the tourist part of Cozumel and behind a cold concrete fasod (sp?) lies a true hidden Shangri La. Not only was this place cozy and very inviting, but the rooms themselves where nicer than any of those I had seen at the AI's. I believe there are at least 5 rentable rooms that are immaculate, private, cool and comfortable. There was a gas grill, coffee maker, purified water dispenser, 2 patios with furniture, a fresh water rinse tank, seperate bathrooms, hammocks, security guard, daily maid service, computer, libraries and truely the best breakfasts I have ever eaten in Mexico. This place is great for singles, couples, buddies and families. You meet great people, eat great food and sleep very comfortably. If you are looking to experience true Mexican hospitality (even though Alicia is American) and also get a taste of the culture, than this is the place. I will be taking my wife and children back soon for another visit, maybe I'll see you there.

5 Thank travelinchiro
Cozumel, Mexico
Reviewed September 3, 2003

This B@B is located in a residential neighborhood, very convenient to friends in Cozumel. I found the place to be quite nice , with helpful, friendly management. I did have one very odd experience, which caused me to cut my visit short. Their is a large dog on the premises which is somewhat friendly to the guests but , as I found out, hates Mexicans! I had my friends arrive to pick me up at the house and the dog had to be held back since my friends are Mexicans! The owner (an American) justified this saying that sometimes she was there alone! At any rate, I found this quite bizarre and found another place to stay--since my friends were not welcome here.

5 Thank RobertSDF