2,142 results
All reviews murphy bed babieca dive center cruise ship activities director one bedroom suite tower rooms hot tub beach area day pass fish the general manager juan carlos all inclusive plan the wait staff all inclusive package time share timeshare presentation
Reviewed April 14, 2010

Talk to the El Cid host Marcella Montano - she was so upbeat, informative, and polite - not pushy, kind and truly concerned about our enjoyment of the island. We really connected with her.

The ony improvement I would suggest is to have teen night (games, etc) early in the week to allow young folks, like our 17 year old daughter to connect with other teens - she was rather lonely by the second week of our stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Salavatore, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2010

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you very much for your review. We will definitely take into account your suggestions, and will make sure that the next time you visit us, they'll be implemented. I'll be sure to pass this review to Marcela, I'm sure she'll be delighted to read it!

Here at El Cid la Ceiba, personalized service and fulfilling our guests' needs are our number one priorities so we're very happy to know that your stay was enjoyable. Looking forward to seeing you again very soon!

Warm regards,

Reviewed April 13, 2010

I read all the reviews before deciding on El Cid La Ceiba and was very exciting about our stay there. Unfortunately, our stay was not as enjoyable as most of the reviews on here.
To begin with we were not greeted with a wet towel nor were there any welcome drinks, instead we were told we could not check in for another 3 - 4 hours because they were getting people checked out. BUT the couple behind us in line were also trying to get checked in and they were allowed to do so while we waited in the lobby. Because we are owners in a timeshare they took that opportunity to try to sell us their vacation club package.
El Cid's website says it has been totally renovated... our room was not! The bathroom looked dirty, smelled and the ceiling looked as if it would fall in on you while showering. The bathroom had very little light... there were two light fixtures in there but they were very dim. The refrigerator made a loud popping noise that would actually wake us up at night. We were told this was normal. There was only one very small trash can in the bathroom so we were always looking for bags to put the trash in. There was a non-functioning safe in the room.
The maid came everyday but did not actually clean anything. One day she must have just wiped the inside of the coffee cups with a dry cloth because the next day there was dried coffee all in the cup. There were stains left from a drink on the refrigerator that was not touched AND she actually left her dirty cleaning rag on the table when she left! The a/c would be cut off when we would return from an outing so it took a while for the room to cool off.
We made a complaint but never heard from anyone except for the maintenance man when he came to tell us the popping from the refrigerator was normal.
The concierge staff was very aggressive, after awhile, we tried to just avoid them, so what did they do… they called our room to setup meetings. This I did not appreciate at all!
The one good thing about El Cid La Ceiba was the restaurant, La Chopa… very nice people and great food!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gdrslr
Salavatore, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2010

Dear Sir or Madam,

Your comments and observations are very important to our staff in helping us to provide a positive, satisfactory experience. However, it is clear from your review that we missed many opportunities to create the experiences you anticipated and we deeply apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. We assure you that we will immediately work on the areas that you found unsatisfactory and will do our best to correct them.
We hope that we will be able to have you again at El Cid la Ceiba, so you can have a better experience and truly enjoy our facilities.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 11, 2010

Cozumel, Mexico
April 2, 2010 – April 9, 2010

TripAdvisor™ get the truth. then go.
E-mail Cozumel, Mexico to a friend
To*: (separate e-mail addresses by a comma)
Your e-mail address*:
Your name:
Message:
*indicates required field
All e-mail addresses submitted on this page will only be used to send this message and will not be collected or used for marketing purposes.
SendSend
CancelCancel

Thank you!

Your e-mail was successfully sent.
CloseClose
My trip notes: Cozumel is a beautiful place to visit. I loved the snorkeling, reefs, cleanliness of the city, and the friendliness of the people. We stayed at El Cid La Ceiba. It is about 2.5 miles south of the downtown pier area. Marcella, one of the coincerge was extremely helpful. The rest of the staff was very, very friendly!! The maid was more than awesome!!! I used to be annoyed about all the "tipping" that is such a large part of the tourist culture until I found out that minimum wage was $5/day in Mexico; I was quickly humbled. All that said, be prepared to budget in tipping expenses when planning. Cozumel does not have a public transportation system. One must rent a car or scooter; taxi's are available. We paid $7-$15 to go from a range of 2 - 4 miles - per one-way ride, not per person.

We spent Saturday to Saturday in Cozumel. Saturday was about traveling, checking in, and recovering from a 36-hour travel experience. On Sunday we attended a orientation breakfast, rented a car to travel around the island and to shop in the pier shops downtown, and finally, topped off the day with a Mexican buffet at our hotel restaurant.

Monday was about nursing Moose over a strep throat infection (Thank God one can buy penicillin w/o a prescription in Mexico at any farmicia!) while traveling to the mainland by ferry to see the Mayan ruins in central Mexico (Chichen Itza). What an experience!!! Mike loved this tour the most because he is such a history/culture buff!!!

On Tuesday we took a cab to Chakanaab Park to snorkel, watch the dolphins, lay out on the beach. It is - without a doubt - the most beautiful, well-kept beach I have ever visited!! That night we ate at Alberto's South. Garlic grouper---mmmm!

Wednesday was about the Passion Island Tour. You take a fishing boat to a private sandy beach for lunch, playing in the water, swinging in the hammocks, etc. Food was delicious!!

Thursday was my favorite day. We took The Fury tour where one rod a catamaran out to two separate reefs to go snorkeling. The reefs and the sea life was out of this world!!! Afterwards there was a beach stop with late lunch and water toys - superslides, iceberg climbing wall, trampolines, etc. I cannot say enough good, good things about this tour. The staff was very attentive and made us feel very safe in the water for us inexperienced snorkelers. Thursday night we ate at Casa Mission. Where can you get a complete filet mignon for $16 USD - with desert!!!? The atmosphere was true to the Mexican mission charm.

Friday was about hanging out at the hotel - snorkeling off the hotel pier, sleeping in the hammocks, lunch at Albertos By the Beach (garlic grouper again!- I'm so predictable!). Friday night we went shopping in the downtown shops again. Found Wet Wendy's!!! Wow!! The BEST margaritas I have ever had in my life!!!! Wet Wendy's is the definite must-visit place in Cozumel!!! Closed on Sundays.

Saturday was all about getting back to the states and getting home Sunday afternoon.

I will definitely go again - in February next time AND certified to dive. It is definitely a diver and snorkeler's paradise. The weather was gorgeous from 6:00 am to about 9:00 am and then from 5:00 pm on. Perfect breezes all throughout the day. The heat was still a bit too much for me, but the clouds gave us a break from sun all day. While El Cid was a great hotel experience, I'd like to try Hotel Cozumel and Paradise Divers for the next trip.

All in all Cozumel was a great experience. Cleaner and safer than Matzalan; beaches were nicer; however, more expensive (transportation on lisland). Matzalan's El Cid Marina was a super fantastic place for a hotel experience and the tours would pick you up at hotel; food was also a little better; culture more intense and varied. I would go back again to both. Hope you enjoy Mexico. The people are wonderfully nice!!! (edit)

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 11, 2010

My friends somehow selected this hotel in Cozumel--still don't know how--but it was a GREAT pick! We were visiting during "Spring Break" and since we are now all out of school we wanted a lounging hotel on the beach that wouldn't be packed with crazy spring breakers (yet we still want the drinks, the service and the overall week in the sun experience). We were greeted warmly and immediately had welcome drinks in our hand. Our flight had arrived well before check-in, but no worries they stored our luggage and gave us towels so that we could head out to the beautiful patio with sand and pool area.
The location was about 3 miles south of the 'downtown' area of Cozumel--we found this a plus more than anything. It only take about 8 minutes by taxi to get downtown and roughly $8USD to cram 5 girls into a taxi. The food at the hotel was good and the rooms great. We were greeted daily by new towel art which made my day.
They had beautiful artwork that decorated the hotel hall walls--which I found out was for sale! Even better, the artist is an employee at the hotel and can paint pieces upon request! I made it home with a BEAUTIFUL painting :)
I would definitely recommend this hotel. We had an extremely pleasant experience and I would want to say here again if I visit Cozumel a second time!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank C-Lo_Anna
Reviewed April 7, 2010

We just returned from a one week stay at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel and if we could get on a plane and return today we would. The price was very reasonable and the service was perfect. Our room was comfortable and very clean and the view was fantastic! I slept like a baby every night!
This hotel has everything you are looking for - there are so many activities and shows going on all the time that you can never be bored and if you just want to relax and do nothing there is no better place. They offer a perfect combo of relaxation and fun! Their entertainment team is energetic, friendly, and engaging.
The food was amazing and I would highly reccommed this resort to even the pickiest eaters.
I am usually looking forward to coming home by the second last day of a vacation but not this time - one week was not enough.
Thank you El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel! We are looking forward to staying with you again very soon!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Salavatore, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2010

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you very much for your patronage and kind comment. We are very honored and pleased that you liked the hotel, and I will make sure to pass your comments along to the rest of the staff.

We look forward to having you again here at El Cid la Ceiba, your home away from home.

Kind regards,