“very nice place with good food”

El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Shawnee, Oklahoma
“very nice place with good food”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

we stayed here july 25-aug1 and had a pleasant trip. the grounds are nice and clean, food was wonderful, service was great. we had a room on the 1st floor the first night then moved up to the 9th floor as the room wasnt available the first night. both rooms were good with good views. we stayed in the tower which i suggest if you want the best view of the ocean. you will see the cruise ships all day but i liked that. i want to give a shout out to eli our waiter his nickname was (owl) he was wonderful. i have two complaints about the place....1st is that breakfast was never ready at 7 when they opened...we had a dive boat to catch and it made us rush to eat and run 2nd is when we arrived about 1245pm they would not issue us a bracelet until 2pm. we asked if we could get one to go eat and have a drink and they said no. we have stayed at other resorts on cozumel and you are issued a bracelet as soon as you arrive...if you are staying at an all inclusive that is. besides those two complaints everything was great. message me if you have any questions and i would be more than happy to answer. we also had upgraded to the elite which is with it as you can eat steak and seafood every night with no surcharge and also get better quality of liquor.

Room Tip: tower if you want a good view of the ocean
3 Thank medicn8
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear Guest:
I want to Thank you for your review. Your referrals are very important to us to encourage our staff and ourselves.

We work hard taking great care of our guests and will always do our best to exceed their expectations. indeed with the detail mentioned we will work to improve those details.

Thank you again for your compliments and hoping to welcome you again soon.
Warmest Regards,

Andrés Maillard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Stayed here for an Easter weekend. It's normally the weekend after spring break so there wasn't much noise or loud teenagers running around. Hotel staff was very polite and attentive to any special requests. We received welcome cocktails and were escorted up to our room. The room was super clean, the view from the balcony was superb. The cruise ships coming in in the morning and the sunsets from the balcony were the best parts for me.
We went for an evening swim one night and noticed that the hotel had a schedule of events that they plan for their guests. One night was an oceanside Bbq on their deck. The night we went swimming however, they aired a movie ( The road to El Dorado) on a white screen behind the pool. Even though it was an animated film for kids, I felt it fit the ambiance perfectly as we were in Mexico surrounded by the culture already.
Their pool was a little small, but If you're looking for an intimate little hotel, this fits the bill. They also have a hottub right next to the bar. Food was yummy, and taxi's are always parked outside for you. I felt like i was in a luxury hotel, without the huge price tag, hundreds of hotel rooms and people running around.
I haven't gone back to Cozumel, but if I do, I'll definitely be staying at El Cid. I felt so welcome, so comfortable and so at home. Overall, great experience!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LuMTraveller
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Guest,
I love reading you had a wonderful vacation. As you well mention, our staff specializes in providing a service of excellence to our guests and serve you, it is our pleasure.
We hope to serve you very soon again in order to provide to you other amazing vacations.

Cordially yours.
Andrès Maillard
East Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed August 12, 2014

We stayed at the El Cid for a week and were quite pleased with our experience. It is not one of the newer hotels, but they do make up for it in the customer satisfaction that they try to provide. One very nice aspect of staying here is that you can dive right from shore and additionally there is a dive shop on site. The pool is rather small, however, while we were there it was not used a great deal, so was not a problem finding a chair. Out at the beach, there are many chairs and cabana umbrellas for free use. One thing I would mention, is if you prefer a more quiet experience, ask to be in the tower, as the two story area of this property is where they have daily activities with an MC on a microphone and it can become rather loud and a nuisance. Overall, the rooms were very clean, and staff goes above and beyond to try to give customers a great vacation experience.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:
i am very pleased that you enjoyed all that we and the area have to offer.
We have worked hard to appreciate our guests and visiting El Cid El la Ceiba should be like returning home.
I am glad to note that our facilities, rooms, all inclusive food and drinks and friendly staff exceeded your expectations; we realice that we are in a competitive market and customer needs must remain as a top priority.

Best Regards,

General Manager.
Taos
Reviewed August 7, 2014

We took advantage of the all-inclusive at the La Ceiba. We have been to Cozumel numerous times and this was the first stay at El Cid La Ceiba. The rooms were very comfortable and the view great. Food was much to our liking. The staff was very friendly and helpful(Thanks Crisanto!). There is a swimming pool and hot tub for those who do not want to snorkel right in front of the hotel/bar. The hotel is located south several miles south of the central plaza but taxis are not expensive. Numerous dive shops close by.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view since it is a small hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jean T
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Guest:

On behalf of all the Staff of Hotel El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel I want to thank you for your fantastic review and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

We are so glad to know that you had a fun holiday with us and that our staff took good care of you, I will share your kind comments with them specially with Crisanto.

It will be a pleasure to serve you in a near future.
Thanks again for your awesome review and for preferring El Cid Resorts.

Cordially

Andres Maillard
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed August 4, 2014

My wife and I recently returned from our second trip to Cozumel but our first time at El Cid. We had a great time the first time at another hotel and an even better experience the second time at El Cid. The El Cid exceeded our expectations! Our room was nice, the bed was comfortable, the balcony view was great, the staff (especially Eliezer) were helpful and pleasant, and the resort never felt crowded.

We loved the location, snorkeling, view, and the constant cruise ship activities. We also liked having different options for enjoying the sun and El Cid grounds. The pool area was active and sometimes too loud, the waterfall area was more peaceful and quiet, and the hammocks were comfortable. We also enjoyed the food options (we were on the AI plan). The Dos Equis beer on tap was fantastic (I usually don’t prefer beer on tap but when I do..).

We had a great trip and look forward to returning to El Cid!

Room Tip: I prefer a good balcony view so a room on a higher floor is what I would prefer. With that being sai...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Guest:
We would like to thank you for taking your time and post your comments on TripAdvisor; believe me your feedback is really appreciated.
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stayed with us.
Once again, thank you for sharing your experience. We hope to see you again in a near future;
Kind regards,

Arlington
Reviewed July 31, 2014

We stayed for a week at El Cid La Ceiba July 5 - July 12th and picked this resort because of its water location and tennis facility.

Check-in was very smooth with great staff - super friendly, everyone is just genuinely happy that you are there and have chosen their hotel. We were asked to sit down with the time share rep for a gift bag and discounts on tours, etc. We declined the presentation and were not given a hard sell about it. Excellent. However, we were not given the champagne welcome ... were we there at the wrong time?

We had a ground level room in the newer towers section which had two bathrooms, a large master bedroom, a murphy bed in the living room, small kitchen and two patios. Spacious enough, although a bit dark. The bedroom has its own separate lock, so you have to prop it open or always remember to have a key when you are in the living room. Quality of bed/pillows was excellent.

As many others have said, there is only a small beach area, but two other points of access to the water, which is excellent. We brought our own snorkel gear and swam every day. It was tremendous. The water is crystal clear and fish are everywhere. There are plenty of lounge chairs and shade for everybody and you don't have to "stake out" your spot in the morning. We played a lot of tennis, and the court is in very good shape and is easily accessible.

We found this resort to have two distinct personalities - it is serene, quiet and calm in the early morning (until 9 or so) and after 6 p.m. During the day, it is rocking. When the cruise ships come in, the bar next door (to the south side, right next to our unit ...) is quite loud during the day. The activities director at the pool (who is wonderful) keeps everything moving with a variety of activities. The cruise passengers come in, pay to use the facilities at the resort and depending on who they are, can be quiet or a bit rowdy. One day we had a group of 20 or so crew members with a boom box on full blast. Yikes.

We didn't eat at the restaurant, but ordered plenty of drinks beachside. Waiters are quick and you will have your El Sol in no time. We ventured down the block and ate quite a few times at Ernesto's - beautiful water view, reasonable, good food and drinks.

So the pros - great water, super accommodations and, most of all, friendly staff who go out of their way to make your stay wonderful.

The cons - a bit noisy during the day when cruise ships are in. Maybe if we had stayed in the older units on the other side of the resort, the noise from the next door bar during the day would not have been quite so apparent. Also, the tennis court (which we picked this resort specifically for) was under construction for a third of the time we were there. Bummer.

4 Thank cookiecArlington
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you again for your compliments and hoping to welcome you again soon.
Warmest Regards,
Reviewed July 27, 2014

El Cid was so amazing. I’m pretty well travelled (34 y/o w/o children, somewhat adventurous, like a mixture of modern amenities with good prices/access to diversity) and you have to know your travelling style when reading reviews, but this place was for us. You can view the cruise ships, which happen to be stunning and the resort was not that crowded when the ships were in. What’s nice is that when the ships are gone, there’s peace and quiet, so you can get the best of both worlds. I would not say that this is an upscale resort but it is very nice and the staff is very kind and down to earth. It’s very casual. We received a welcome gift upon arrival and champagne. It was a warm welcome and every interaction was a positive one.

The resort is all inclusive optional. I couldn’t imagine spending $70/day/pp when we had a kitchenette and two grocery stores within walking distance (or short cab ride), so we did a mixture of eating our own dinners and then looking for local spots or catching guacamole and a beer at a place down the island at playacar beach (rent mopeds to get there.) We ate a few times at the resort’s restaurant--once being complimentary from the timeshare presentation, once when we arrived because we were starving and then I grabbed a burger one time. I would be very bummed if I had to eat there all the time. Not for me. They advertised cute theme nights (for a fee), but we never went.

The beach is I guess a rock beach that freaked me out at first but with snorkels you view extreme beauty under the surface. Once you go in, it is sandy but at that point you can’t reach the bottom. Grab a set of snorkels & filppers from Barbieca (around $10). They are also reputable for scuba. I believe the restaurant feeds the fish so you will have 100’s of them swim towards you. Pretty amazing. Someone like my mom or young kids probably couldn’t/wouldn’t access the water but perfect for us.

The pool was extremely HOT when we were there and not so refreshing but it’s a nice change of scenery. The dj/events coordinator was so happy and very down to earth. During the world cup game she wore our flag (we were rooting for Germany) as a cape and posed with us for photos. She was awesome. She brought life to the pool area with her DJ mixes.

The timeshare presentation was one of the easiest and painless I’ve encountered. They said it was a simple yes or no at the end and they kept their word! I was so surprised. We scored several gifts from them for it. Pretty ideal situation if you have been to them before and know the deal.

I have to praise El Cid for their customer service. They are what other hotels should strive to be. Everyone from the concierge, the waiters to the maids deserve a raise! Their help and guidance was much appreciated and I will not forget their hospitality. I would certainly visit again and wouldn’t think twice about booking at another El Cid resort, either.

Some room for improvement would be to update the air conditioning systems in the rooms (we were on the 4th floor in the tower--AMAZING views btw) because the living room unit blew right on to the dinner table so that your dinner got quickly cold and then the bedroom unit froze you out. I REALLY hate drafts, so this was a problem for me. Not enough to complain because I was so side tracked having fun and by the time I got back to the room I was exhausted, but cursed the system every time I sat by it. I'm not sure if this was all of the rooms or most of them.

This resort is a good location as well. Some of the bigger resorts such as Iberostar are really out of the way and somewhat in the middle of nowhere or in heavy traffic areas. This lies some where in the middle.

Room Tip: 4th floor in the tower had a great view. Saw the view also from higher rooms and they were even bett...
4 Thank Catherine M
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Guest,
we would like to thank you for your preference and for taking the time to post your comments on Trip advisor, it is really appreciated. I am so glad that you enjoyed our services.
hoping to welcome you again very soon.

Cordially