“THE BEST PLACE in the Caribbean!!!!”

El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel
Ranked #15 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Texas
“THE BEST PLACE in the Caribbean!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2008

Ohhhhhhh this place was FAB!!! an all inclusive resort with marvelous service, internet access, gorgeous views and access to the water, and the food...ohhhh...it was wonderful!! We enjoyed our time down in Cozumel mainly because of the accomodations at El Cid! It is sooo peaceful to head on up to our room after a nice dive, order room service and sit on our balcony and enjoy the gorgeous view of the Carribean!!

I would recomment El Cid Cozumel to all of my friends! As a matter of fact, we are getting friends together to go back and take advantage of their wonderful dive packages!!

we just can't wait to go back!!

• Liked — the best service
  • Disliked — i missed my waterbed!!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Salavatore, general manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2008
Dear Sir or Madam,

We are so pleased by your comment, and so happy that you enjoyed your day at out Hotel. Hopefully, next time you come you'll stay with us so we can pamper you even more. We will be waiting with open arms!

On behalf of El Cid la Ceiba, thank you again for your kind words.

Salvador Sanchez Meza

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Hebrew first
West Milford, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2008

I just returned from El Cid La Ceiba with my family and we had the greatest time there. The hotel was superb, the staff was very friendly and helpful, and the general manager, Salvatore, was extremely helpful and a very nice guy. The food at the restaurant was delicious and the wait staff was great. The rooms were very clean and comfortable with balconies looking out over the ocean.

As for the activities, the snorkeling was the best I've ever done. Some friends went diving and said that it was amazing. My kids loved the swimming pool and snorkeling as well. We also took a trip to Dolphin Discovery, which is only a 10 minute drive. There, we were able to swim with dolphins. That was my wife's life-long dream. I have to say that it was nothing short of magical. We have a dvd of our experience there and we'll be watching it often. Also, not far from the hotel, is a park that offers zip-line rides. It is the most fun I've ever had.

I will return for my next vacation and probably many times after that.

• Liked — Everything was top notch
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your beautiful words. We are so glad that we could help build wonderful memories for you and your family. We hope to see you again very soon, so we can pamper you as you deserve.

Remember that we will always welcome you with open arms, since this is your home away from home.

Warm regards,

Exeter, Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2008

Having visited Cozumel two times in March, it didn't occur to us that we would be arriving during the rainy season! And rain it did, most of the ten days of our visit. However, it was a warm rain and we usually saw the sun sometime during the day.

We checked with La Ceiba the night before our move there and they offered to store our luggage and wet dive gear. When we arrived at 11 with our luggage we were surprised with a room waiting for us. We were placed in the tower, eighth floor. Everyone at check in is friendly and helpful and this continued during our stay.

It appears that after the hurricane the hotel rebuild, using the original footprint, converting to timeshare lockout units. We traded a 2 bedroom on Maui and were pleased with the equity of the trade. We had the last 3 rooms in the old hallway, separated by a keyed door. Opening the door we were in a hall with 3 doors leading off. The first was a studio unit with a Murphy bed. The second room is a master with the largest bath and a king bed. The third is the largest room with 2 queen beds. All rooms have a balcony, unfortunately, they are not joined. Each room will open with your key card.

There is comfortable living room furniture, just like the website shows. The four of us took advantage of the extra bath when we arrived back from diving. The kitchen is only partial, 2 electric burners, no oven, not counter space, and no storage. We stored our pantry items in the closet and used the large cutting board placed on the table as our prep surface. Otherwise all the furnishings are very nice.

Our maid, Laura, left us towel animals each day. She carefully cleaned and tidied all the rooms, leaving them as perfect as possible with all our stuff in the way. In the evening, we had turn down with flowers left on our beds.

We found the cruise ships to be great entertainment. Also, the Trans Caribe transport ship is amazing. We watched docking as we drank our morning coffee. We even had the treat of a missed docking, with the ship having to go back to sea ad complete a 360 to return. We planned our evening so that we saw the ships leave, then off to dinner.

We didn't use the resort dive operator, we booked our own. We were picked up at the pier and allowed to use the rinse tanks. The divemaster would joke with us in the morning while we waited for pick up. The dive shop always had resort beach towels ready for us upon return. We ate at the restaurant for 3 breakfast and one dinner. We enjoyed the breakfast more than dinners. Being from California, we enjoy salsa, chiles, and beans with our breakfasts. The fruit plate is great as are the french toast, and yogurt/granola offerings. Service was great.

We rented a car and the La Ceiba has limited parking space. This wasn't a problem tho, a security person was always there to find us a spot or help us back out of a tight spot. A car really isn't necessary, taxi fare for 4 to downtown is $6. We stayed further out at the beginning of our visit and did a few trips to the grocery store, too.

The beach is crowded when the ships are in. We had difficulty finding lounges in the shade while they were there, so often choose to stay on our balcony, (Sunday was the only non-ship day.) The steps from the beach into the water are slick and aqua shoes are a good idea. There is a beach entry on the south side of the restaurant. We found a variety of fish in the swim area. The old cement pier and the old anchor are good viewing spots. I'm a sweet treat for sand fleas and they did find me. I got 7 bites our last day but the other 3 didn't. I didn't spend any other time at the beach. The pier is complete and lighted at night.

We found La Ceiba employees helpful, kind, attentive, and very tolerant of our attempts at Spanish. The rooms are top notch. So even with the shortcomings, it is still a very nice place to stay.

• Liked — location, views, cleaniless
  • Disliked — small kitchen
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank dmscuba27
Salavatore, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2008
Dear Sir or Madam:

We are so thankful for your kind words and very pleased that you found El Cid to your liking. We appreciate the time you took to write such a complete report, since customer satisfaction is our number one priority. We hope to see you again very soon, and let us offer you our own Dive Shop which we are sure you'll find meets the expectations of our guests.

Thank you again for your patronage, we will be waiting for you with open arms.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2008

I visited Cozumel for the first time with a friend who has just spent her 5th visit at this hotel. The hotel is full service, is located on the water. You can snorkle, scuba, etc. It has a restaurant that is top notch. You can buy all inclusive options, which definitely is a plus.

The great thing about this place in addition to good food and beautiful surroundings, is the staff. The hotel has about 80 rooms and staff really takes care of you.

I recommend this hotel and if I visit Cozumel again, this is where I will be staying. I found it interesting as well that there were other repeat guests at this facility.

• Liked — Friendly facility
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Dear Madam:

We are so glad that you liked the El Cid as much as your friend! We hope that soon we can welcome you back for your second visit very soon! Remember El Cid will always be your home away from home.

Thank you for the encouragement your kind words give us, everybody who works at El Cid thanks you and wishes you return soon.

Kansas City Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2008

From the time I checked in until the time I left 7 days later I met nothing but friendly and outgoing staff starting with Marcella the concierge and Mr. Sanchez Meza the manager.

Traveling alone has its own challenges but by the end of the week I felt like everyone was family. Even though not every was fluent in Spanish they always went out of their way to assist me or pro-actively please me.

Laura my room cleaner had a huge smile for me every morning as did the entire staff in the restaurant where I ate most of my meals alone. Their smiles and teasing was fun and just my style.

Cain, the resident spanish teacher, artist, and DJ was always fun and drew everyone into the action.

The front desk staff always made me feel welcome and never a bother with all my questions.

After sending a bottle of champaigne to my room as a thank you for joining the vacation club, I was also provided a special tray of appetizers to finish off a special evening to remember in the tropics. I can't wait to come again and bring that someone special.

• Liked — Friendly staff and comfortable beach area with everything you could ask for.
  • Disliked — Lack of a beach to actually walk. Damaged by hurricane. No fault of resort.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
Dear Madam:

I can not begin to tell you how proud and happy reading this has made us. Everybody at El Cid works very hard to make our guests feel special and pampered, and are very glad that you found yourself at home. Your enjoyment and comfort are our first priorities, and we hope to see you again soon here, in your home away from home.

Kind regards,

Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2008

My parents gave us a week at El Cid La Cieba as a gift for our wedding anniversary; they own time-share through Wyndham Resorts. We so much enjoyed our stay here! This hotel we actually wanted to stay around as most of the time we are off touring elsewhere and just need a place to rest our heads.

We were greated with a fuzzy navel! Didn't expect that! But then we were ropped into a short schpeal from a timeshare rep. It took me a while to say "no" to what they were offering during the week (excursions, tours, etc), but we did in the end. We were twice notified of specific tours at the beginning of our stay, with flyers, but we just discarded them.

Our room was huge! Two separate rooms really... we stayed in the tower. One was a bedroom with full bathroom and one was a kitchen and living room, also with a full bathroom! On the bed, each morning, were towel arrangements with fresh flowers. Loved that! Great, spacious bed! Nice balcony facing the Carribean... wonderful in the evening to watch sunsets and observe the cruise ships all lit up! We treated ourselves to a little margarita every night we stayed there before we went to bed.

The pool area was comfortable, but the sand area wasn't a real beach. Nice oversized umbrellas and furniture... no charge, either. Walkway down to the water, which was ok but slippery at times. The dock was being worked on so that was kind of noisy and annoying. Hotel's restaurant was open-air and the food was okay... not great for b'fast, but have great chips and salsa and pina coladas if you wanna snack!

It's a hike into San Miguel by foot, about 4-5 miles. Cab rides are inexpensive. Easy to embark and disembark at the Port, if you plan on going back to the mainland to visit the ruins or go off road elsewhere. Rode a scooter to Punta Sur and hung out for a day, so wonderful! Got caught in a rainstorm which was refreshing and crazy! :-)

Our last night at El Cid we ate at the restaurant and had a beautiful sunset to watch with a slight warm breeze. Great way to end a wonderful vacation!

• Liked — The views, the room, the waves!
  • Disliked — Our master bathroom was inoperable the whole time. Middle of the night they started to work on it, but still wasn't fixed by the time we left.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Salavatore, General manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2008
Dear Sir and Madam,

On behalf of El Cid la Ceiba, we want to say how much we appreciate your comments and how happy it makes us that we were able to be a apart of your wedding anniversary. We all have our guests' best interests at heart and your words make us really proud.

We hope to see you again next year on the next anniversary, we'll be waiting with open arms on your home away from home.

Once more, thank you for your kind words, they mean the world to us.

Salvador Sanchez
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2008

We cannot speak highly enough about our wonderful experience at El Cid. The wonderful staff, exceptional service, beautiful views and accommodations was the perfect relaxing Caribbean vacation experience. We were there 10 days and wish it could have been longer. We really appreciated the special attention for my wife's birthday with a surprise cake waiting in our room after we returned from a delicious seafood patter with lobster at their La Chopa restraint. We would highly recommend El Cid and we look forward to our next visit.

• Liked — The friendly Staff, the Food, the Accomodations.
  • Disliked — We like everything. It was wonderful.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Salavatore, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2008
Dear Sir and Madam,

Once more, thank you for your kind words, they mean the world to us.

Salvador Sanchez