“Exceeded my expectations”

El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel
Ranked #16 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We chose El Cid because it was reasonably priced, close to town, and our dive company could pick us up at the dock in front. We booked with Booking.com, and I made an error in our numbers, so when we showed up they had to adjust the room assignment to accommodate our friend traveling with us. The front desk staff was very gracious, showing us both rooms they thought might work. The higher room had a great view, but not really enough room for us, so they put us in a two room suite on the ground floor with two small walk out balconies. Lots of room! and although we were right next to the wood burning pizza oven ( a plus when ordering pizza), we truly enjoyed the room. Food was quite good, service was pleasant and friendly, and the house sparkling wine was quite good too! The outstanding dive company Buena Ventura, picked us right off the dock in front - so wonderful, and of course amazing diving.
We will definitely return when we plan a trip to Cozumel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank dragonboater53
Write a ReviewReviews (1,964)

Reviewed March 2, 2014

My husband and I and our friends have just returned from 26 glorious days at the El Cid resort, Cozumel. Our stay from February 1st to Feb. 26 was absolutely wonderful and exceeded all our expectations due to the amazing staff, the level of service and exceptional food and drinks.
I have to start by saying that our stay at El Cid would not have been the same if it weren’t for the entertainment/events staff, Casper and Gustavo. Thanks to Casper and Gustavo, we had so much fun... from beach volleyball, to chess matches, to bingo, to cooking lessons, to Spanish lessons, to movie night, to musicals, to karaoke, to crocket, to ping pong, we had a blast!!
We especially enjoyed the Mexican dancers and dinner show one evening around the pool deck. Dinner was delicious and the dancers were fantastic. It was beautiful to see Mexican culture through folklore and see the beautiful costumes and dances. It was a very memorable evening. Thank you so much Casper and Gustavo for making our 26 day stay at El Cid one we will never forget.!!
We also cannot thank enough Roberto Barrientos for going the extra mile in making us feel welcome and so very special. The menu choices, the quality of food, and the detail to presentation delivered on every item on the menu at La Chopa restaurant, including the special theme night events, overlooked by Roberto Barrientos, were exceptional, the food was hot, delicious, and plated so beautifully. Thank you, Roberto, for being a friend. All the wait staff were amazing, they were friendly, fun and couldn’t do enough for you. A special thank you to Elmicar, Joses, Luis, and William, I hope I have spelt their names correctly and only wish I could remember everyone’s names.
We even got to know Gaby, the young lady who makes bracelets and braids people’s hair at the resort, a shout out to her.
Our room in the tower, 3rd floor was fantastic, king size bed, table and chairs, huge bathroom and closet, overlooking the ocean and cruise ships. Our cleaning lady was spotless and the towel designs and flowers everyday was simply beautiful!! The snorkeling at the resort was fantastic. Next to Australia I have never seen such an array of different fish of all colours and size. For all the reasons noted above, we would highly recommend the El Cid and will definitely be back one day.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Prak04
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear Guest:
First at all I would like to thank you for this wondeful comments about your staying and we are really happy to read that you really enjoyed every services you received.
Thank you for confirm us that our efforts make guest happy and we exceed your expectations.

general Manager

Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

What a great starting off point for the island of Cozumel. The staff was wonderful, especially the wait staff and the activities people on the resort.

The food in the all inclusive restaurant is top notch.

Rooms are clean and well appointed.

Wifi works great in the public areas.

We will be coming here again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Honad
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Dear Guest:
First at all I would like to thank you for this wonderful comments about your staying and we are really happy to read that you really enjoyed every services you received.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

First time guest. We stayed one week in a 1 bdrm suite on the 11th floor. Considered a Prestige room since it was above the 5th floor.
Here is what we liked:
Small property-short walk to pool, restaurant, beach.
Room-huge and comfortably furnished.
Good food-even when there is a buffet you can still order off menu.
Location-on the water, $8-$10 taxi to town, 40 minute walk to ferry pier in town.
Wi-Fi - free in lobby. Strong enough that I usually got a fair signal in my 11th floor room
Service-friendly staff
Hot tub at bar
Good snorkeling-with easy entry into water
Special dining events in the evenings
Pool and bar stays open until 10:30
Clientele-average age is 50 plus (less of a party crowd, lack of late night life not a big deal)

About the cruise ship pier. Yes the cruise ships do obstruct your view but you still have about 80 degrees open to NNW. The ships aren't there early morning, evenings, or Sundays. But....we enjoyed watching the ships maneuvering as they came and left, and watching passenger running to catch the departure. More than anything we enjoyed watching the ship crew members at La Ceiba on day passes. All the different languages, reunions with former crew mates, socializing with each other. Never had a problem getting a chair in the shade (but most guests will reserve early with towels).

Only dislike. Random noises from plumbing, appliances, and other things. Senior Frogs gets annoying but only if you are in room during day. Nothing that earplugs won't overcome.

We have been to Cozumel several times and have stayed in everything from houses, huge AIs, and boutique hotels. On our next trip we won't even bother to check around as La Ceiba will be our choice again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Pangaea
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

general Manager

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We booked four oceanfront suites for a two day diving trip. I tried using the dive shop to reserve a boat, but could not confirm the boat after five e-mails. I ended up using Papa Hogs after my first e-mail to them (great shop only 1/2 mile away). Upon check in one room was "upgraded" to a full suite. We left for dinner and upon our return, our upgraded room found out that we had room mates. We had to share the kitchenette and living space with two other rooms. When we went to the desk to be moved, the person behind the desk didn't speak English. The next day we were told that the other two rooms were not supposed to use the common area, even though the only entrance to their rooms was through it. The facility itself was good, great location, but it is getting old and needs updates. Service at the front desk and dive shop was not good.

2  Thank Mike D
Reviewed February 25, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a weeks stay at the El Cid. We had a fabulous time!
The staff, from the front desk, to bell hops, to the lifeguard, and the beach waiters, and the people in the little store, were friendly and nice, and seemed genuinely happy you were there. And when we needed something, they were on top of it.
We aren't 'members' and we didn't do the all inclusive, and they weren't pushy about it, which we appreciated.
We like to venture out, and try new things, and there's plenty in the area to try.
Kudos to Maria at the front desk, and Miguel the life guard, very kind people!! I hope to return next year!

Room Tip: we moved from the 12th floor, which had a great view, to the ground floor- just out of convenience...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank stpauliegirl_10
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear guest:
Thanks for your review, and for your nice words written to this community, It was a honor to host you and your husband, i will personally extend your kudos to Maria and Miguel, thanks again for your review and hope to see you next year.
Sincerelly

Reviewed February 24, 2014

The terrible rating is for the management for this resort. I was treated as second class being a Wyndham VIP Gold member. First class treatment for hotel guests. I do not know if one of the reasons was I did not take the free transportation to the hotel in which the payment is to attend a timeshare presentation.
At the airport, there was no taxi, so we took the shuttle which was $10/person to El Cid La Ceiba. Upon check-in on Saturday afternoon, I presented my confirmation of a 1 bedroom reservation to the man at the desk. I paid $21 for the safe key for a week stay. I was given 4 keys for me and my wife and my son and daughter-in-law. When we arrived in our "unit", it was a hotel room, at the old building. It had a double bed and a small sofa bed, side-by-side with the double bed. It had a mini kitchen. To sum it all, one can barely move around for 4 people. I went back to the front desk and complained for not getting a one bedroom unit. I was told that there was no more room available except the one that was given to me. The woman talked to her manager and she came back for the the first option: to stay in the same room (like a sardine for a week) and given an all-inclusive. I rejected the offer and insisted that they better give us a 1 bedroom unit. So, the woman went back to talk to her manager and gave me option 2: Move to a 1 bedroom unit on Monday and give my son and his wife a room at the Royal Plaza, all inclusive for the weekend. I accepted option 2 since everyone in our party was tired and like to rest. On Monday, they moved us to a 1 bedroom unit. It had a pull out queen bed in the living room and a king bed and a jacuzzi in the master bedroom. Wow, what a change. The management wanted more money from the hotel guests that's why they gave away the confirmed reservation by the timeshare owners especially during weekend. I recommend for Wyndham not to do business with this resort.
Below are my other comments:
Porters, Maids and other staff - they were hard workers and nice.
Grounds, rooms, lobby, bathrooms - clean
Food and drinks - Due to bad reviews about bad food and expensive, we did not do all-inclusive. My family did not eat at the restaurant at the resort because we planned to eat where locals eat. We were seating in one of the shades one day, when we saw a lady ordered a sandwich, She bite the sandwich just once then she got up and took all her belongings leaving her food. Before the waiter pick it up, birds attacked the sandwich.
Activities - just bingo at 2:30 pm every day, only up to 3 games.
Snorkle at the back of the resort facing the 3 to 4 ships that docked at the resort everyday except weekend.
That Saturday afternoon, we bought our bottled of water and snacks at OXXO convenience store across the resort for it was cheaper than the one at the side of the resort. The next day, we went to buy other supplies at Chedraui supermarket at San Miguel instead of Mega supermarket since it was where the locals go. We paid $8 by taxi for 4 of us. We bought fresh baked bread and pastries at their bakery and tropical fruits, drinks, etc. It was cheaper here. We did not cook at all. We ate at Ernesto, a block from the resort on your left for breakfast. You can get a good breakfast for around $4 at Ernesto with great music and beautiful view right at the beach. One more block across Ernesto, is Paprika. We did not like Paprika since the food was kind of salty and not that great. From the right of the hotel, we ate at the Yes fast food Filipino restaurant and at the Mexican restaurant. The food was good and reasonable price. These restaurants were at the side of the Royal Village shopping center across where the ships docks.
At San Miguel, we ate at Tio Jose right at the beach. The food and drink were excellent and reasonable. We ate and danced at Viva Mexico and Tikatok restaurants. Viva Mexico played rock & roll and country music during the band (Red Eye Band) break. Whereas, at Tikatok, the band and DJ played all cumbia music.
On my birthday, my son and his wife took us to Alberto restaurant. I ordered a seafood platter for 2 (conch, fish, shrimp, & lobster). My son ordered lobsters for him and his wife. Then we ordered 1 yard or pina colada and 1 yard of mango margarita. The total bill was $165 (very expensive). On our last night in the island, my son made a reservation for a romantic dinner at Buccanos restaurant, past the airport. We paid $16 by taxi from the resort. The place was so dark. Each table had a candle and a lighted mosquito coil was placed under the table. The coconut trees were decorated with lights and there were several tiki torches around. We used a small flashlight to read the menu. The owner and chef and his mom were very nice and spoke fluent English, though they are Mexicans. They looked more Italian to me. The food and drink were outstanding. The main menu ranges from $16 to up. We were more satisfied at this restaurant than Alberto's because of the hospitality, ambient, excellent food and drink and the scenery. After eating, a taxi was waiting for us. It's automatic for people making reservation to have a taxi waiting for them when they are ready to leave.
My son made a reservation to Nachi Cocom beach resort. It was a secluded beach. They will accept only 100 people to stay from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm. For $50/person, you will get 4 course lunch and all-inclusive alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. We had several daquiries, margaritas, and pina coladas, as well as local beers. My daughter-in-law had her massage at the beach and she and my son snorkel at the beach. Also, my son rented a jet ski. I highly recommend this place to anyone. We paid $18 by taxi from the resort.
Unfortunately, I book our Tulum tour at the resort. I found out later after paying that it was from Odyssey tour. We took the ferry at the pier in San Miguel to Playa del Carmen for $13/person one way. A guy from Odyssey tour was waiting for us at Senior Frog. It was very disorganized since the guy called several times to get a mini-bus for us (not own by Odyssey). We had to walked 4 to 5 blocks to get a mini-bus to Tulum. Once in Tulum, it took us forever to get our entrance ticket. Once inside, my family broke out from the group and did our own tour. Coming home, our mini-bus overheated when the air condition was turned on. Oh what a trip.
Shopping at local market - bargain
Ask locals the public activities at San Miguel. We saw the Cozumel carnaval 2014 at the municipal plaza. The pageantry was outstanding with different groups wearing colorful clothes and head gears dancing competing each other. A king and queen were selected for the carnaval. We missed the parade which was a week after we left. Also, we sampled the local food at the Municipal Mercado and went to mass at Corpuz Christi catholic church.
Advice - Go local! Next time, stay in another resort that is not El Cid.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Jaime L

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time and share the experience you had at our Resort. each single day we do all our effort to make our guest be happy and when things goes out of our hands as you mentioned on this review, we do all our best to keep our guest comfortable with the situation.

At the end with all the effort we made for make you happy and confortable we are finding that we did not meet your expectations and we are really sorry for this.

Hoping you change your mind and you can give us another opportunity to serve you again at our resort and change your perspective.

Andrés Maillard