“all inclusive type of place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel

El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel
Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Radford, Virginia
“all inclusive type of place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel was right on the water and one of the few where you can lounge on sand then walk right into the water with good snorkeling. The whole area around this side of the island caters to people coming off the cruises. For example one day there were obnoxious 19 year olds getting wasted.THe drinks are low quality, stick to wine & beer or non-alcoholic. The food is pretty good. We wanted to go explore elsewhere after a couple days so we rented a scooter and were so happy we did. Went to the other side of the island and saw really pretty scenery & baby turtles! Next time we'll stay on the other side and come to the snorkel at Money Bar, Playa Corona which are the best spots for sure. I guess the touristy, all inclusive type thing isn't for us after all but if you want beginner snorkeling right outside, it's great for that. It's a little more focused on eating & drinking than nature -y stuff I guess, but not as bad as some surrounding all-inclusive. Cozumel has awesome Pina Coladas by the way but go to a place where you see locals. As a matter of fact for everything you do go to where you see locals there. Cozumel got so much more enjoyable for us once we figured out how to stay away from the super touristy stuff. Definitely rent a scooter or car so you're not getting constantly ripped off by cabs.

Room Tip: upgrade to ocean view balcony it's so worth it
1 Thank lanacanoe
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your review at El Cid La Ceiba Hotel, We are very glad to be rated by experienced travelers and we are happy to know that you found our food is pretty good and a lot of people agree with you, we are located in the best area for snorkelers and divers.
Like you have mentioned Cozumel has a lot to do and places to go. We happy to know that you had a great time on this Island.
Hoping to welcome you back soon.

Cordially Yours.
Andrés Maillard.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Hebrew first
Lancaster, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

El Cid has a great staff that truly wants to please the guests. We have stayed there twice now, taking advantage of their all-inclusive package, which is the only way to go. Rooms are great, housekeeping is first rate, and the restaurant and front desk staff do a really good job. The restaurant has first rate food and you can order off the menu for all three meals. The all-inclusive includes all the drinks you can drink and the bartenders mix a good drink. You can even relax in the hot tub while sipping a cool libation at the bar. First Class place, don't miss it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Edclee
Dear Guest:
i am very pleased that you enjoyed all that we and the area have to offer.
We have worked hard to appreciate our guests and visiting El Cid El la Ceiba should be like returning home.
I am glad to note that our facilities, rooms, all inclusive food and drinks and friendly staff exceeded your expectations; we realice that we are in a competitive market and customer needs must remain as a top priority.
Thank you for this objective comments and great tips for future travelers.
We look forward to hosting you very soon on your third stay.
Best Regards,
General Manager.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel along with 8 members of my familly.. We all where very pleased with the service of EVERYONE in the hotel. Even thou we went because of our membership I don't regret it. It was fun seeing the cruise ships come and go everyday. I was so happy and pleased on how the waiters we so attentative with my son.. I have nothing bad to say very happy with my room. We stayed in room numbers 1230 & 1020. Thank you so much everyone for making our first trip to Cozumel memorable. I hope to be back soon

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank chrismommy
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Members,
Thank you for this wonderful review and I´m more than happy to read that you and your family had a pleasant stay with us and enjoy the cruise ships come and go.
Also I´m very proud about your great comment regarding the service provided from our staff, I really appreciated the time you provide us to write this nice words to our employees, they all do their best to exceed our guests expectations.
Again thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you at El Cid La Ceiba and hoping to welcome you back very soon on this your home away of home.

Livermore, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed here from August 16-23. I have to admit I was anxious about staying at El Cid La Ceiba Beach due to some of the negative reviews on Tripadvisor. Happily, our experience here made me wonder where the people who wrote thse reviews actually stayed. Their comments could not have been more wrong. First, we were met by an El Cid employee at the airport and provided free transportation to LA Ceiba. We received a very warm welcome from concierge Gaby and checked in at the front desk by Bibiana. Our room (1120) was great and the maid services kept it in an impeccable state of cleanliness. The view from the room was amazing! The bed was super comfortable and the air conditioning kept the rooms amazingly cool. The bar and restaurant also provided exemplary service and great food and drinks. Despite the fact that cruise ships dock next door every day except Sunday, neither the La Chopa bar/restaurant nor any other area of the resort were overcrowded during our stay. In fact, on some occasions it seemed that the entire staff was there solely to serve my wife and me. It is impossible for me to mention all those who made dining at La Chopa a pleasant experience. There are just too many names to remember, but thank you Juleta, Armando, Eliiezer, Juan, Roberto, Leonardo, Fausto and everyone else at La Chopa for the wonderful service we received. We really enjoyed every aspect of our stay here. I was very impressed with La Ceiba, even though it is the smallest of the El Cid resorts. Gaby and David were very helpful in suggesting and arranging activities for us. Every staff member we encountered -no matter their job- was very helpful. I really did not want to leave!

2 Thank Danny K
Dear guest:
I want to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback! I really appreciated your kind words to El Cid La Ceiba and for recommending our resort.
We are glad to know that you enjoyed our resort and experienced by your self our hospitality, food at a la carte restaurant, facilities, amenities, our amazing view and the quality of our services as well we are extremely grateful for your recognition to our staff and for to know that they are important to provide a good service and help to make your stay more memorable.
I am proud of my staff and is evident; they are always striving to improve upon how they perform their jobs. I have shared your comments with all of them,
Thank you so much for trust in us, and I really appreciate your recommendation
On behalf of all of us here, we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

This was my first time at La Ceiba. My friend and I had a great time. We stayed here last November, first week. The front desk was helpful and having a store right outside was handy.
We walked thru the Carnival shops just down the street. Saw all the cruise ships come and go.
We took the taxi into town most days. Glad to see that there was a Starbucks! Yay!! We took the water taxi over to La Playa and took the Tulum Ruins tour. The view of the emerald blue ocean and white sandy beach was breath-taking! And there are stairs to take you down to the beach.
This was a very relaxing place to stay. Laying out by the pool, with drinks, or laying out on the hammacks. Our last night there we ate outside at the hotel restaurant. Our meal was fantastic!!

I would highly recommend La Ceiba. It's not just for scuba divers to enjoy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mickee111
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your kind notes. We really feel happy that you enjoyed your stay so much. It is our intention to provide our guests with that unique, focused experience and we will continue to upgrade our services.
We are so proud to know that we meet your expectation of travel, and thank you also to let us know that you received a good service from our Front desk staff.
also thank you for recommending our hotel and we are with arms open to welcome you again.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

These rooms have full kitchens, so with just a tiny bit of effort you can cook food from the grocery store down the street that will be one MILLION times better than the terrible food at the hotel. I cannot say enough that the food here was so terrible we basically blocked it from our memory. After an inedible dinner, and undrinkable drinks from stale mix (so terrible we threw the drinks in the ocean when no one was looking and then ordered bottled beer) I would have traded my pinky for good street tacos, but alas we were too far from town.

The "Premium Ocean View" we got was on the little short building and all we could see was the fronds of a palm tree, and the cisterns of the neighboring hotel. There were ants in the bathroom, the bedclothes looked worn and tacky (NOT as pictured on hotels.com), and the service was awful! Make sure you stay in the tower and you'll probably be ok, but in this old building all of the rooms are "ocean view" so don't pay extra for it.

El Cid is really far from town and taxis are very expensive here. It is very kid friendly, so if you are a couple, this will not be a romantic hotel. If you are looking to snorkel from your front step, this might be an ok option as long as you get the cheapest room, cook your own food, and barely expect the waiters to speak Spanish.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for ocean view if you are in the old three-story building as they all look to th...
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank gloobalgal
Dear Guest.
I would like to start off by thanking you for taking the time to write this review. It means a lot to us to know how our service was for each and every one of our guests for this helps us point out our flaws as well as our strengths.
I regret to your experience with all points mentioned and let me assure you that we already take steps to improve them.
Again thank you and hoping you will give us an opportunity to welcome you back again.

Cordially
Fort Washington, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

We came here to relax and we were able to do that. Took a scuba diving orientation course which was excellent - right off the hotel's beach area. There is no sandy beach here, the water has coral formations and is very rocky, great for snorkeling. Didn't eat at Ernesto's, but did eat at another restaurant 1/2 block further up the street called Paprika which had excellent food - one of the best meals we had. The hotel's breakfast is incredible, at $12, well worth the cost. I wouldn't recommend eating here for other meals - everything we eat was below average. However, the wait staff is excellent.

Our hotel guide called us at home before the trip and took care of our transportation to the hotel, which was very helpful in bypassing the high pressure sales tactics at the airport.

My only complaint was the hotel's handling of our excursion to Chichen Itza. The tour company did not show up at the meeting location and another tour company had to get into contact with our tour company to get it straight. After some very long discussions someone from the tour company showed up and from that point the tour just went downhill - we would not recommend taking a tour offered by Odessey Tours. We would have opted for a refund and to go on another day, but time didn't allow it. Our hotel also didn't provide the full trip itinerary, so we were not prepared to participate in some of the activities on the tour. Chichen Itza was worth the hassle and you should go if you're able. The tour company told us we didn't have a reservation, but we weren't the only family, from different hotels than the others, there waiting for the tour company to show up - so seems as if their reservation system was messed up that day. Mind you, you have to take a 30 minute ferry ride from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen on the mainland just to get to the meeting location. I'm sure all these families won't have gone to all the trouble to get there if we didn't have reservations.

1 Thank Rudy B
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for write this review, we know your time is valuable.
I’m so glad to read that you were able to enjoyed our pool, beach, and the marvelous view we have here at our resort.

Hoping to welcome you back very soon

Andrés Maillard.