“Loved the El Cid!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, California
“Loved the El Cid!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

First time in Cozumel and stayed at the El Cid for two nights last Spring. We loved it! The room was nice with a comfortable bed, vey clean and a nice little balcony looking at the water. In the morning the cruise ships came in and they were interesting to see all lined up. We had dinner at the beach restaurant and it was delicious! I was able to snorkle right at the hotel and it was pretty good. The best snorkeling was about a 10 minute cab ride to Playa Corona. It was amazing! The El Cid was great and we really enjoyed our stay!

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beth K
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Guest:
First at all I want to thank you for your great review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us .
Thank you also for taking the time to share your review on tripadvisor.
Cordially
Andrés Maillard.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Hebrew first
Roseburg, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

The resort is either a hotel or a timeshare. My travel mates used the time share option, I used the regular hotel. The resort booked my flight which took the long route from the west coast to the east coast then back west to Cozumel.

At the resort, I was met at reception with a welcome punch drink and gifts. Since I arrived prior to check in time, my bags were placed in a secure location and I was able to relax near the pool. I selected the all inclusive option, it was worth it. My room was ready in a short time. I had a double queen room. The bath had a huge tiled tub/shower. I was on the 11th floor with a great view. The resort has several cruise ship docks located right in front.

The staff from bell, reception, waite, grounds, to house keeping were all very friendly and helpful. It was a wonderful stay and a good time.

Room Tip: The ocean view room locates you into the 12 floor tower. The garden view rooms locates you lower dow...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank WorldTrvlr13
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the staff of El Cid La Ceiba Hotel, I want to thank you for your nice review and for your visit to our resort.
We are so glad that you had a great stay with us and enjoyed our accommodations as well.
Thank you also for your lovely comments about our hotel staff, and hoping to welcome you again very soon,

Sincerely Yours
Andrés Maillard,
Winston-Salem, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

OK, so we've only been here twice as day trip cruisers, but I love the place. You can have an easy 5 minute walk from port (you can see the hotel from port, no problem). Then, we paid $17 each to get in and use all ameneties, and with that you get a $10 voucher towards food and drinks.

We had a few drinks each and they were really good. Bar service was great, they are very appreciative of any and all tips (i think because it is mostly an all inclusive place). They have a pool and swim up bar, chairs on the sand with lots of shade and hammocks. The wife and I stayed on a hammock all day and rested in the shade. They will bring you drinks there as well. They have plenty of sand, a great view of the crystal blue water (and the huge cruise ships are right in front of you - interesting to look at!), but not a real beach, if thats your thing or what your kid enjoys (its like a drop off into the water).

I've never been in a room here, but all the workers seem really good. In fact, we may fly to Coz and stay here in the future just because we really loved it on our two day trips.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank kmodares
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear visitors,

Thank you very much for you wonderful review and we are so glad to read that you had a great and lovely time at our resort.

we will be more than happy to host you here at our resort , very soon.

Cordially
Andrés Maillard
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Check-in: Fast & Friendly

Room: One bedroom suite w/ Murphy bed. Large shower, 3 sinks, 1 soak tub, microwave, mini fridge and burners. Two balconies with chairs

Pool: Small. Great color display & water feature at night.

All-inclusive: Worth every penny if traveling with a family. You must sign every food/drink bill. They write your wristband number on each bill.

Main Restaurant: Good appetizers and main courses. Attentive waiters. Deserts were not good. Chocolate cake and Apple pie sucked. Closes at 10:30pm

Bar: Fruit Punch and frozen drinks are the best.

Room Service: ends at 10:30pm

Atmosphere: Relaxing. Older crowd with grandchildren. Many beach chairs were available.

Location: At the end of the Cozumel strip. Across the street from Park Royal.

Transportation: Taxi to the airport was $17 usd per car. Shuttle from the airport was $38 usd for 4 people. The airport charges a surcharge. You can't leave in a taxi.

Overall Good Value

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank TiffanyLovesTravel
Dear Guest:
Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay and impression of the hotel! We appreciate your the time to tell us what a positive experience you had!!!
We sincerely appreciate your recognition and we look forward to welcome you back very soon.
Sincerely Yours,
Andrès Maillard
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Our stay started off rocky. We arrive and check into a room that was NOT what we booked. One studio hotel room can not be passed off as a deluxe suite. There also was a miscommunication with our package. We were told we would have $600 resort credit to go toward food/drinks or Scuba or even the Spa. When we arrived it was a coupon book with discounts to those places.
We were extremely disappointed after two days with two teenagers and my husband packed into that tiny room we PAID to upgrade to a nicer room. The rooms in the tower are very nice.
The manager was the only staff that seemed to work with us. The front desk ladies were not welcoming nor helpful.
Don't get me wrong... We had a wonderful trip and even the miscommunications didn't ruin our vacation. Sometimes you just have to roll with things to keep the right attitude.
Thank you el CID for allowing us to visit Cozumel for the first time and fall in love with it! We will be back, and I will recommend your resort to others, but I will not false advertise to get them to go to your resort.
I would definitely Stay in a tower room again.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tracycoach7
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay here with us and we are always open to do the best to have happy guest, I’m glad our staff was able to help you guys in your time of need.

On reference of the coupon credits Thank you to bring it into my attention, we will reforce this part in order to have more clearly.

Thank you for your time writing this review and hoping to welcome back you very soon.

Cordially Yours
Andrés Maillard
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

First - have stayed at this hotel over the decades, the last being May 2012; time to return to the island. In the past six months we have been diving in St. Lucia, St. Maarten and Dominica - Cozumel is still one of the best.
Second - booked trip on Expedia today. Was thinking Cozumel Palace, but El Cid La Ceiba had a $600 resort credit "coupons to be used on spa treatments, car rental, dive shop, restaurant, tours and more" as stated word for word. No brainer, we would use it on diving with the resort and maybe upgrading the room.
Third - the bait and switch. Once I booked it with my American Express card, a link popped up to click to print the $600 USD Resort Credit Coupon Book - and I did.
It read - "-$15 USD credit towards a 'SCUBA DIVING TRIP"
Other coupons were $50 credit for a three day rental car; $20 credit for a zipline; $5 credit for a Mexican food platter etc....
We would not use the zipline; would want a car for one day to go to other side and I can go on and on.
BOTTOM LINE - this is 100 percent misleading and I feel El Cid is far better than this fro the service I have received over the many years.
Patricia at the main office for El Cid is not that interested in assisting with this misleading clause...and I am on the phone canceling my entire reservation as I type.
Patricia may feel they have great success with the resort credit but not in this case.
DO NOT MISLEAD THE CUSTOMERS as we have a choice in where we spend our money on the island of Cozumel.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Alexa8776
Fortson, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Booked through resortforaday.com day pass while on a cruise. It was fine overall. You can walk to it from the pier and get free drinks and food. The pool is average, but they have a swimup hottub to the bar. The beach is ok too with comfortable seats. The snorkeling is not that great. You are basiucally still at the pier so the ships are all right there by you. I think the other local beaches are the better deal if you want pool and beach for a day

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Visitors,
Thank you very much for your review and for spent this day in our property.
We hope to serve you again in another opportunity and thank you again for your review and for choosing El Cid Resorts.
Sincerely