2,126 results
All reviewsmurphy bedbabieca dive centercruise shipactivities directorone bedroom suitetower roomshot tubbeach areafishday passthe general managerjuan carlosall inclusive planthe wait staffall inclusive packagetime sharetimeshare presentation
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We had a reunion here, and the pool was great for getting a drink and kicking back after diving. It was a pleasant stay, there was always a place to go to relax. I will mention that the shampoo and lotion provided is not available in the US to my knowledge, but I would love to find it. It made my head feel like a piña coloada and took out all the salt water after diving.

Room Tip: We got the building nearer to the town side, not the high rise. We overlooked the pool on the second floor and it was really convenient not having to go back and forth up an elevator. There is a lot of noise though, all day-very very loud music from the pool, so be aware of that before you choose. I would get the ground floor in the smaller building or wing if I had young ones, then you could have them go in and out directly through the patio doors instead of going into the hotel lobby each time. But there is no protection around pool so they would need supervision.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

On behalf of all El Cid La Ceiba staff I want to thank you for your fantastic review and for your preference.
Regarding of the shampoo will be a pleasure if you can please contact us via email in order to provide you information about this.
We are so glad that you had a great time with us and I hope to hear from you very soon.
Sincerely
Andrès Maillard

Reviewed August 28, 2012

On what was a last minute getaway for my wife and I, we decided to try Cozumel for a change. Our first choice was Bermuda but the cost was prohibitive and it seemed like Mexico was on sale that week. In addition, my best friend and his family vacation there every other year. His family are big scuba divers. So without a word to my best friend, off we went for a 4 night 5 day getaway for my wife and I and a surprise visit to my best friend and his family. The surprise was awesome. The resort, not so awesome.

When we first arrived, after checking in, we were steered to a "concierge"? The gentleman was nice enough but was geared up for the hard sell. Once we made it clear that this was just a quick getaway for us and a surprise for my best friend and his family (whom he knew), he backed off of the hard sell. He asked if we had ever been to Mexico before and once we informed that we owend at Royal Resorts Royal Sands his face saddened and all attempts to sell us anything ceased.

Now, according to our package, we were supposed to get a room with a coffee maker, microwave & refrigerator. It was to have a king sized bed, balcony and spacious room. We got the king sized bed and a very old but well working refrigerator. The Ice maker was from trays you made yourself though they did have bags of ice available in freezers in the hallways on every other floor. Our room size was about as big as my bedroom suite at the Sands. The balcony was as large as my small balcony at the Sands. No microwave. No coffee maker. When we inquired at the front desk as to why our ammenities were missing the response was, "Oh no. The room you have never has those ammenities and you are very lucky to have a refrigerator". Well, for us it really was not that important, but then I found out that my friend had had his rooms and ammenities downsized also and they were in a battle over the number of points used to stay there. Makes me think that Interval International isn't so bad after all.

The resort itself gets a fair rating for cleanliness. We found a lot of mold in the room and the security was not the best. The bathroom window that is on the hall leading to the room could not be secured. The balcony slider could not be secured. The safe was an old fashioned key safe which was not secured to anything. The pool was very warm, almost like a hot tub (but it was in July so...) One day they had a visit from some agency that monitors resorts. The inspectors were not happy about a lot of things apparently. The cement around the pool was broken up and slippery. The pool chemical balances were obviously off and there was a shower area on the beach area that was broken and must have required immediate repair because they worked on it for the next 3 days. The dock was under repair and anyone who sunbathed in the early part of the day by the pool or on the beach had to listen to hammering and grinding. Not very restfull.

OK, the good points. The restaurant was a little better than average. Breakfast was good, lunch was better and dinner went back to good. The food presentation was not so good but at least it was cooked ok. The beach area was probably our favorite place to relax (once the hammering and grinding stopped). It was kept neat and clean and the service was a 7 on a scale of 10. One thing we really enjoyed was our maid. Our room was picked up and neat. Clean towels and a perfectly made bed. Every day we got a new folded towel animal along with 2 hershey kisses. She put a smile on our face every night before we went to bed and made our romantic getaway a memorable experience.

Outside of the resort is like going to Mercado 54 in Cancun. I don't mind so much because I can speak spanish fairly well and once they realize that I'm not looking for trinkets, they either show me things that are valuable or leave me alone. And they always ask me if I know a cousin, uncle, brother or family member in New York. We did find two fabulous restaurants outside of the tourist area. One was La Perlita, a wonderful seafood restaurant that serves Lion fish, yes lion fish. We were amazed too but not daring enough to try it. The other was the mission grill. More food than you can imagine for a great price and real home style service. Both were very reasonable price wise. We ate with the locals. If you want that kind of experience, ask any cab driver. They know exactly where they are because they eat there too.

Overall, we had a great time. Probably more so because of my best friend and his family. If you are a diver, this is a great place to be. We are more like pampered "touristas". The high end Cancun Villas are more to our liking and present us with a much more enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you bring a written confirmation of what room and what amenities you are entitled to with you. Don't let them get away with downsizing you if you don't.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

I would like to thank you for share your experience with us.
Our commitment is to work hard every day to offer the highest standards in service and accommodations. We know we are in a competitive market, our priority is to satisfy or exceed each guest needs.
Accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenient this could cause you, and thank you very much for letting us know our strengths and weaknesses , please be assured that we are working on them.

I hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again in a very shortly future.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

On August 21, 2012, we docked in Cozumel. We had visited El Cid in 2000, and were hoping to enjoy the snorkeling and bar there. When we arrived we were welcomed by Rocio and Bibiana We had booked a room since we thought it would be cheaper than getting a day pass. However, Bibiana informed us that actually, if you get the day pass directly from the hotel (NOT Carnival), it is the cheapest way to go. The resort is easily in walking distance from the pier. We took a $16 cab ride to the hotel, but walked back once we realized just how short and easy the walk was. We had a great time snorkeling over the sunken plane. The water is crystal clear, and there are lots of fish right off the beach. Pedro brought us our beers, and we had a fantastic lunch served by Paul. Paul's reccomendations on the food hit the spot. We had a million questions answered by Bibiana and Rocio. We asked if we could see some bigger rooms, since we might plan a longer stay there. That was not a problem at all to show us other rooms, and again, answer all of our questions regarding an extended stay at the resort. Natoli brought us up and showed us the next sized room, and explained that there was still one other room bigger. Though we only stayed there for a few hours we had a great time and are looking forward to our third visit there!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Thank you for your fantastic comments and welling to be your host again very soon.
We will share your comments with all the mentioned staff.
Cordially yours
Andrès Maillard

Reviewed August 27, 2012

My fiance and I stayed here recently and enjoyed every second of it. The hotel was very nice, super clean and the rooms were huge! Even though it was just the two of us I instantly thought it would be a great place for a family vacation/reunion or getaway with friends. We had a beautiful view of the sea from the room and the restaurant. The food was great and the staff very friendly and attentive. Everyone from housekeeping to the General Manager were available to tend to our needs. It is a perfect location for snorkeling and to catch an amazing sunset. I am in the travel industry and have seen many many hotels in my travels and this definitely ranks very high on my list of places to return to. Thank you to Andres Maillard and the entire staff at El Cid for making our stay fantastic. We will be back very soon!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

It was our pleasure to attend you during your stay with us you know you are more than welcome to the hotel for any further visit to Cozumel
Thanks for your review we will inform your thoughts to all our staff.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

When making reservations and calling the resort personally I was told we would receive in the mail vouchers for $600.00/ room we booked two. We never received the vouchers until we arrived, I had been told they could be used for anything at the resort, restaurant, dive shop spa etc. You could but the minimum amount you had to spend was outrageous or you had to order a specific item on the menu. Food was way overpriced, The restaurant manager was rude condescending and the waiters would not make a move without asking him. Our package included a continental breakfast. We were told we could not go to the breakfast buffet to choose our own fruit, juice 4 slices of cheap white sandwich bread used for toast or 3 sweet breads mini sized coffee,tea or milk. The toast is what we got unless we complained and it was barely toasted. The menu said we could have 4 sweet breads, to get the correct amount and what kind you liked was an adventure in itself. Babeica Dive Shop Manager Juan Carlos and his Staff are the only good thing about the place. You were stuck into time share sucking up your vacation time, and when they they say the rooms have been renovated, they mean the new time share units. The front desk gives wrong information about costs, such as taxi prices, We were sent told there was a $25 dollar departure tax at the airport not true that sent us on another waste of our vacation time. And the biggest thing I noted the staff never smiled barely said Hola, All I can say is must be Management! Won't go there again.

Room Tip: Rooms are small, if you ask for a adjoining room, be very specific. They seem to think adjoining is next door. That is not good with children. The stoves work poorly if at all. The second be in the room is a Murphy Bed so there is not much space to move about when it is down, There are only ocean front rooms anyway so do not think you are getting a big deal.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank unique420
Andresmaillard, General Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear Guest.
I greatly appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our guest´s comments give us the tools to measure their satisfaction level, so I thank you for the positive points you mention as well as for bringing to our attention in those we need to reinforce, I honestly assure you that the appropriate actions will be taken. We really sorry that your stay was not as you expected.

We hope you give us a second opportunity to prove you we can do it better.