2,145 results
All reviews murphy bed babieca dive center cruise ship activities director one bedroom suite tower rooms hot tub beach area day pass fish the general manager juan carlos all inclusive plan the wait staff all inclusive package time share timeshare presentation
Reviewed January 16, 2012

My wife and I just got back from staying at El Cid La Ceiba. We enjoyed it very much. The staff was helpful and courteous (with only one small exception). The room was clean, the beds comfortable, and they even have a "Pillow Menu" so you can select different pillows if you don't like the ones you have.

The previous reviews about cruise boats being parked immediately in front of the hotel's private beach are accurate (though we actually sort of liked seeing them there). The only downside to the cruise ships, we felt, was the traffic it brought to our beach. Perhaps to draw some of the cruise traffic, the hotel had a DJ set up on the beach during the day and that got to be a little annoying (someone just needed to turn his volume down).

We booked this trip through the RCI timeshare program and were a little worried about getting hassled about buying into more timeshares and vacation clubs and such. The hotel concierge did invite us to one of those 90-minute meetings but it was a genuine invitation--when we declined, he was gracious and didn't push.

Regrettably, we didn't get any diving into this trip, but we did plenty of snorkeling. There is a decent number of fish that hang out right in front of the El Cid private beach and there are steps down into the water there. There's not much for coral right in front of the hotel, though. We also visited Dzul Ha, which had better snorkeling. That cost us $16 in cab fare ($8 each way) and $5 for a locker rental. At Dzul Ha there is a restaurant (the Money Bar) where you can order drinks and food. There are chairs out on the beach and there didn't seem to be any sort of minimum order. We didn't order anything, anyway (we thought the $5 locker should cover us).

We also walked into town to go to the grocery store. It's a fair walk (at least a mile), but it's along the coast so it's pretty. El Cid is too far from downtown to be in the center of everything but it's closer to everything than some of the places on the south shore.

Overall, things cost a little more than we expected for Mexico (not just at the El Cid restaurant but everywhere), but we enjoyed ourselves and would recommend El Cid for people who like to be near touristy-type activities.

3  Thank ScottWalsh
Salavatore, Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2012

happy you enjoyed our pillow menu, after a good day at the beach, what is better than to have a good siesta, many people find the cruises a special touch, nice view, and yes, I agree with you that after couple of days, they are nice to see next to the crystal waters of the Mexican Caribbean, our concierge services are very good, we are a professional company, as you saw, and our main goal is that you have a pleasant staying, we hope you come back soon to the beautiful island of Cozumel.”

King regards.
salvador sanchez meza
general manager

Reviewed January 15, 2012

This place is very nice and clean. Upon checking in, you are greeted with a yummy drink while you get registered into the hotel and complimentary cookies and coffee. The rooms are very nice and clean. Very large bed and very spacious overall. Internet is complimentary, however, it is slow sometimes. If you want a good view of the beach, i suggest you get a room on the 4th floor or higher. They brought us a newspaper in the evening and also some chocolates and a mazapan along with a sweet dreams card. You also have a small private beach, a jacuzzi, hammocks and chairs to sit in. i believe you can even go diving! Room service is very expensive and the portion size is very small, i would not recommend it. If youre in town you might wanna try el palmar restaurant they have yummy food there! Location is semi far from the shops and restaurants but if you take a taxi it is 80 pesos.

Room Tip: the better rooms are on the higher floors as they offer better beach views (:
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I have to say, most of the staff is very friendly and very accomodating. If you stay in the tower you will have a better stay overall. These are bigger, newer rooms with a nice view of the ocean. In contrast, the room we stayed at was very dimly lit, had very loud pipes that would wake us up in the middle of the night and the room was small and outdated- and there is no elevator. There is one bellman that can help you, but it's rather difficult managing the stairs with a stroller and baby in tow- which was my case.
The food at the hotel wasn't all that great and it's rather pricey. I would definitely NOT recommend getting all inclusive for this reason. I would recommend eating towards the centro (but not on the main strip...the restaurants there are super pricey) where you can find some wonderful restaurants with reasonable prices.

One main reason why my hotel stay was not as enjoyable is because I was supposed to receive "hotel credit" in a certain amount to use at the resort. I was specifically told that I could use this credit for food and drinks and pretty much anything there at the resort. Instead, I received a coupon book that was completely useless to me. You have to spend a minimum (usually around $150-200) to use a coupon, and many of these coupons weren't even for the La Ceiba. It was very disappointing.

Another thing- I wouldn't go on tours using the hotel service. Do your own homework online and save yourself a good $20 per person or more for the same exact tour. They try to make it reasonable if you waste 90 minutes of your day listening to people try and sell you a time share, but I value my time there and instead I spent 10 minutes doing some research online and found the same company they use for a MUCH better rate.

I liked that the rooms had kitchenettes with mini fridges- this was a must especially traveling with little ones. This is a small resort and not super luxurious but the people are quite friendly and work hard to make your stay a nice one. Next time I would definitely stay in the tower...if you can't get the tower then I would reconsider coming here.

Room Tip: Definitely only stay in the tower!! The rooms have a beautiful view, are newer and have elevators.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Vanesa L

“we are really sorry about those noises, we will make sure our maintenance staff takes care of it so next time you are here with your family you have no problems with it, about the hotel credit, I need to mention that those are some special that are arrange with agencies, many people find them very good and they thank us for them, we have many people using those special, next time you visit us we will give you recommendations about how to use them, about the tours we offer in our travel agency, I must mention we use the best operators on the island and at the mainland, we make sure we work with the best of the best in service, we think our guests would appreciate this more, we also think that your vacation time is important and that`s why our exclusive vacation club invitation is optional and we never push nobody to do it, we just want you to have a great time.

King regards
salvador sanchez meza
general manager

Reviewed January 10, 2012

We've enjoyed staying with you so much we are returning for a one year anniversary stay! We're looking forward to seeing you Friday noon!

Reviewed January 9, 2012

I traveled to Cozumel alone April 2011 & used the free airport transfer which was late so make sure you triple confirm that. once at the hotel I specifically asked to be in the newest most updated room that was available & i was place in the opposite. the rooms on the 3 floor side of the hotel are run down and the A/C did not work. the shower squirted out all over the floor as well and it was veryyyy dark. I requested the A/C be serviced and thank god I had a towel on when the maintenance men walked right in my door without knocking. The one woman at the desk was very rude and did not do anything so I demanded to see management. I dealt with the Female manager in charge and she was AMAZING!! She immediately moved me to a NEW renovated beautiful room on the tower side, gave me an all-inclusive bracelet for the remainder of my stay and she also told me if I needed anything else to see her personally!! Now you see why my review is going to the very good!!!! After this my stay was amazing!! The all inclusive option is pricey but def. worth it. I dont eat breakfast and try to save money on vacation but lets face it even with just lunch and dinner if you drink alcohol you are easily spending that $$. I know because my first day I did not have that plan. Def. take advantage of the timeshare presentation as well!! I own a wyndham timeshare and am very happy with them but always do the 90min. presentation because the hundreds of $$ I save on excursions, free roundtrip ferry ride to playa del carmen, amazing breakfast, and free day afterward in the town was beyond worth it!! Just a piece of advice do not buy an El Cid timeshare, if you want one buy Wyndham or RCI. I went over all I have and my costs while they went over theirs and they could not come close!! Bring snorkel equipment there is a reef at the resort and they do charge you to use theirs. Also book you excursions there and do the snorkel boat trip it was amazing!!

Room Tip: Refuse to stay in the old hotel rooms only stay in the tower!!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo