“Cheap local place”

Loncheria y Taqueria Irving
Ranked #213 of 386 Restaurants in Cozumel
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I got lost after walking back from the airport (I had followed my sister to her flight) and decided to get the most out of it and get something to eat in the neighbourhood I found myself in. As I came in, there were a few locals eating. Mother and daughter cooked and took orders together. They don't speak English and I don't speak Spanish but it wasn't a problem since I could just point to items I wanted on the menu card written on the wall. I got to tortillas with chorizo and they were really fresh, full of taste and burning hot, because they had just made them. Since they could not offer mineral water, I got a sweet homemade drink. I believe it was water with sugar. All of the items I got were just really homemade, fresh and tasty and of a quality that you would never find in such a cheap place in the US or Britain or Scandinavia. A truly Mexican experience, I believe. But of course, if you're an American tourist and you want waiters who smile at you because their boss taught them so and bid you welcome in English and play with your children and give you plastic laminated menu cards and offer "childrens menu" derived of all "offensive flavours", this may not be the place to go.

1  Thank DKstudent88
There are newer reviews for Loncheria y Taqueria Irving

Reviewed April 1, 2014

We can't pass this little place up, and our friends are starting to make it their taqueria of choice.

3 meals there during our trip this year, and every one as good as ever.

Panuchos from heaven!

Reviewed March 16, 2014

This is a Loncheria (Lunch Diner) that is way off the tourist scale, but has delicious food at a fraction of the price. if you are a Tourist and not a Traveler, you will not be able understand it. So go to Hooters instead. A little Spanish would be required Their menu is painted on the wall, and the green salsa is great for a Torta, or the meal of the day. The place is located on 65 Ave and Calle 12 close to the Comex Paint store. If you are adventurous and want to see how the locals dine this a great place to get some great grub at a fantastic price!!

2  Thank Chris K
Reviewed February 12, 2013

11 of us went for supper, that's about the capacity of this little place. Tostados, quesadillas, tacos, tortas were all excellent for a dirt cheap price. The only pass would be on the panuchos - super greasy - unless you have a craving for a fried masterpiece. total for 11 people to stuff themselves - 412 pesos, about $32.

Reviewed February 4, 2012

Little local hole in the wall. A true family restaurant. Mom served us, daughter (8 or 9) patting out the tortillas for our order, dad working the grill. This is the first place I have been where the tortillas are made to order. What a treat - soft and crispy and hot and luxurious wrapped around the generous chicken tacos. The tortas were huge and fresh and loaded with lettuce, tomatoe, onions and avocado. Hot, hot meat with cool crisp veggies and rich avocado all on a ciabatta style bun. 5 of us ate here for 212 pesos (about $16). No liqor or beer here, just pop. 4 tables crammed in and a steady stream of locals. You are basically in the family's front living room and the decor matches - knick knacks, family photos, old christmas decorations and some sketchy wiring give the place it's atmosphere. Do not expect to be impressed by the look of the place, but if you look closely, it's very clean. Friendly, smiling service. No english, but no problem - they'll be happy to serve you. Open for lunch, supper and into the night.