“Nice view and good music”
Review of Rasta Bar

Rasta Bar
Ranked #62 of 394 Restaurants in Cozumel
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Food was awesome and music was great! One child had a hamburger..lol and the other one had chicken tacos. Hubby and I had shrimp quesadilla and they were yummy and we had a few ice cold beers while the kids sipped on soda! The view was awesome and had a nice breeze!

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We stopped here on a drive around the island. Walked into the bar area and was greeted by a disgusting food smell. It smelled like someone was cooking spoiled meat. Paid four bucks each for 2 dos equis and then went to walk the beach. It was full of trash. Drank our beers and moved on.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Beer is pricier than in town. Girls at the "gift shop" showed no interest in helping, and all they had were Bob Marley t-shirts. I didn't see anything with the bar name, "Cozumel," or any other trinkets. I hear this place was a must, but I will skip next time.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We arrived from our cruise on a Friday and had rented a car to traverse the island. Four years ago we had been to Cozumel and had rented a car as well but only for a few hours as our stop on that venture was only a half a day. This time we had the entire day so we decided to make sure that we were able to stop and eat at this "famous" beachside bar. Having being born and raised in Florida I've seen many beach bars and grills. I have taken note that there are a few things that really help these establishments succeed and it's a relatively easy checklist. First, you have to have a decent structure that has good facilities (restrooms and possibly a shower) and you must have areas of both shade and sun. In Florida this is primarily due to the fact that it's going to rain and you don't want to shut down your business just because it is. You also need to shade to protect your more delicate patrons from the blazing hot sun. Second, you need decent food, reasonable prices, and an assortment of things to drink. Lastly and probably most importantly, you have to have a staff that cares about your patrons.

Having said that, Rasta's on the island of Cozumel does an average job of "filling the bill". Notice I said average. They do have a location that has areas of sun and shade. They do have restrooms although they need work. They do have decent food, although the portions are a lit little bit small. They have reasonable prices… If we were in America and they have an assortment of things to drink. The two biggest areas of concern that this place must deal with are their prices and their staff.

In regards to their prices, my wife ordered the "specialty of the house" the shrimp quesadillas and I had chicken fajitas. We each had a Fanta bottled orange soda. Our total came to twenty-seven dollars. That's dollars not pesos and its cash, not credit card, not debit card. Now don't to be wrong I can expect to pay that much money if him in the states and I am having a sit down lunch. But 13 1/2 dollars is really steep for a beach bar serving those items. In Florida and a world-famous grouper place, for 13 1/2 dollars I can get a huge piece of grouper, fries, coleslaw and a drink and it will cost me twelve bucks. I think the item that surprised me the most was the Fanta orange drink which was four dollars apiece. Four dollars for soda is ridiculous. I mean that's like movie prices except for the fact that in the movies at least it's larger than 12 ounces. On their website they list soda as two dollars so either our server ripped us off or their website needs to be updated. Either way it is what it is.

Now let's talk a minute about service. As we wandered in from the street we were not greeted, we didn't really know where to go, so we aimlessly plopped down at a deuce under the large thatched roof where the bar is. We were handed the menu after a few minutes and then the server took off. No name, no "Welcome to Rasta's, how are you today?", We simply got "Are you ready to order?". My wife asked how the shrimp quesadilla was and she was told that it was great before she ordered, but that's about it for interaction. The same person didn't even bring out our food and no one ever bothered to check on how the food was. It was so frustrating I don't even remember how I paid the bill I just remember that after we finished eating we left relatively quickly.

In speaking to the quality of the food, it wasn't bad and It wasn't great, it was just so-so. My chicken fajitas had quite a few onions and I was only given just a little bit of refried beans, which I used up more than half of them on the very first tortilla. I was given three tortillas, as was my wife. We were served a bowl of raw onions, tomatoes, and some cucumbers. Missing was some nice fresh cilantro and sour cream. I did get some sour cream but I had to stop another server in order to do so. My wife's shrimp was tasty but to me most of the shrimp was the size of popcorn shrimp with two medium sized shrimp thrown in for good measure. My wife did say that the guacamole was pretty good.

Regarding the atmosphere of this place, it is situated right next to the entrance to the Punta Sur Park. The sand, the seabreeze and the water are all beautiful. This location really needs a nice sign that people can take pictures of for remembering. The roof is thatched with T-shirts from various tourists that have been written on with well wishes stapled to the underside. Some of them have been there for quite some time and are getting mold on them. The overall ambience of this place is intriguing there is a strange temples/shrine located adjacent to the restrooms building and across the street is the sister bar which I assume is probably more where the locals go if they even come out this way. I was semi-interested in checking it out but after my lunch experience, it just didn't interest me anymore. I wished they had a few more of the small "Tiki hut umbrellas" for dining out by the water but overall as a said the place is interesting.

Overall, I'd say that your money was best spent in a smaller local restaurant on the port side. I mean it's novel to possibly get a beer there or a drink and hang out for a few minutes enjoying the seabreeze but as far as making a day of it and enjoying the view and company, not so much. There are too many other places on this island that do a far better job of taking care of the customer to make this a regular stop when visiting.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

three tacos cost us $15 american dollars. Ok, so it's vacation and they gotta make a living too..but when you see the sad little tacos you get, with only tiny shrimp and a couple sprinkles of cheese, it's not worth the price. It's a beautiful place to stop and chill, but they gauge you on food prices. Beers are pretty much the same all around the island.